Paternity leave and foreign language interactions

chroniclesofal

I had a couple of ideas recently, one more realistic than the other. Firstly paternity leave, or at least players missing games for the birth of their child, or being slightly tired during the first weeks/months of their child’s birth. This is fairly standard in football and I think it would be a good modern upgrade, especially since pregnancy might end up impacting the women’s football version. 

Secondly and less realistically I think it would be really cool if managers could use their selected second languages to interact with players who don’t speak the local language. It’d be great to be offered French phrases to use with a French player if you’d selected French as a second language for example. I suppose the question would then be how would you interact with players who you didn’t share a language with, but it’s not a big leap to imagine that communication being helped by an interpreter.

There's a point were you stop being a football simulator and convert your game into a borderline life simulator, I don't see the benefit of adding a 9 month period (UK) maternity/paternity event just to add an ounce of realism... it'd fundamentally put me off playing as a female club manager.

I like the parental leave thing, and I think it could be expanded further to other non-footballing events affecting their morale / fatigue. (Naturally this would affect semi-pro players more, and amateur players even more, and players with high levels of professionalism less).

A player could get a morale boost when they have a new partner, or get married (and morale drops if they split up / divorce). I can imagine managers in real life have had to tell a player to buck up and get over being dumped and focus on playing. Or "Joey Bloggs, 19, scored his first hat-trick for the club. He was boosted by his new girlfriend watching him play for the first time."

Having a child would hurt fatigue levels, but could be balanced by a lasting morale boost.

The overall affect of those things would, I think, be positive for players. It could be balanced by negative events like mourning a death in the family, for example.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I'm afraid due to licensing complications it's not something we could implement for any current players - similar to how only Newgen players can come out in the game as gay. 

That, toppled with a real interest across the userbase for a feature like this, means it's unlikely to be considered - sorry!