FM22: The PSV story - Eendracht Maakt Macht

MattyLewis11

image.png.5bf7340decf2ce0e239ea65f065d8374.png

The above is a snapshot of the players from both the B team and the U18's who have secured minutes so far in the Eredivisie. 

I will look to provide a end of season squad analysis which will specifically focus on U23 players at the club to highlight their contributions to the first-team. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

He is still manager indeed and doing an exceptionally good job...

image.thumb.png.d89f842cd808075127a72ad342c865b9.png

Appreciated, I hope you enjoy the journey.

No, Noni is being utilised as an IF on attack. his ability to cross the ball isn't the best and I wanted him to have a greater influence on the ball using his 17 dribbling to operate a little more directly and make more inverted runs.

If my understanding of the two roles is correct, the IW will often come inside once the player has received the ball whilst the IF makes more movement off the ball into the half-space. 

I think your understanding is correct but the roles seem to be a bit bugged right now in the game as they rarely cut inside with the ball. Hence my question. But the right players on IF can still be deadly with good off the ball movement. 

6 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Appreciated mate, the save has consumed me which is exactly what you want from FM. 

I am really enjoying Holland and the Eredivisie which I hope transpires into my writing. 

Yeah I think after I finish this Notts save I'm doing I'm going to go do something really small.  I really wanted to try and build an English League team first but my heart is with the Irish League and attempting something small like this.  I love my Notts save but it's almost like you're building something small too quickly and I feel like just doing something small with little pressure and taking time to build it right.

January 2022

The opening of the European transfer window is always a cause for concern when your save is based outside of the top five leagues, this window posed a potential threat to derail our impressive form in the Eredivisie and also the UCL.

No sooner had the window opened we received two offers from the Premier League with Aston Villa submitting a structured £4.3 million bid for our ball playing left-footed centre back Olivier Boscagli, Villa clearly attempting to unsettle the player by placing a bid which well below his estimated market value of £7.8-8.4m. 

Fortunately, the Frenchman expressed he had only a slight desire to join the club, favouring a move to Germany with the likes of Bayern Leverkusen who had a minor interest in the player.

Wolverhampton Wanderers also bid £4.8 million for Bruma, given the fact that the winger had been playing on a promise for more game time for the past few months and has expressed his desire to leave the club, it was an easy decision to click the accept big button.

The next bid placed sent tremors through the club, Newcastle United with the backing of the Saudi Investment Fund offered a structured deal of £35 million for our Left Wing-Back Phillip Max, we managed to squeeze the cash rich club out of an addition £10 million by suggesting a £45 million deal with no additional payments/clauses. 

This deal would double the clubs balance sheet and provide financial recovery from the deficit stemming from the impacts of the pandemic, the German wasn’t too sure about moving to the North of England and expressed that he would need persuading to move to Newcastle, surely the wage offered would dwarf the £19,750 he receives in Eindhoven. 

Given the potential departure of Max, we explored the ‘Bosman’ market to see if any players could be brought in given the fact that Fredrick Oppegard is still a season away from being placed into the first-team.

e9_i1P-fWcfZH6e4Xr4WDYiBR3-nWq7IPFsfLFYQ8ZDXFuGV-2E-0NtrNZaopUS1yB4f84jLCcecBFplxx53iFtAWc9Ij6aa2ZO4cKqYPOHmHBetjY2_z1EvhTMmIhbgH1P6Wz2j

Bjørkan is a dynamic wing-back who is comfortable on the ball and has the ability to get forwards into attacking positions to influence play in the final third. I had an enjoyable experience managing the player in FM21 and it would be a pleasure to have him play under me at PSV.

We submitted our offer which was followed by contracts from the likes of Southampton and Hoffenheim.

FB.PNG.1aff48c614fee1b5804634d5022cbdee.PNG

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be Bjorkan opting to sign for Southampton, favouring the Premier league over the Eredivisie. Max, however, decided to pull the plug on the move to Newcastle...I guess for some people money doesn't talk!

My next task was to attempt to bring in a player who could support MVG with his mentoring responsibilities, given the fact he is the only player at the club with a desirable personality (Perfectionist). The addition of a few search filters brought José Callejón of Fiorentina to our attention. At 34 years of age the Spaniard is exactly the type of player which can add value off the pitch and also contribute on it. He is accepting a squad status of 'impact sub' which means that he won't be demanding too much game time, which is ideal. 

0oXgepGKYGwf6Muo52wcBUOCaH8KxaKo4krpT6Kq3YTyoJHNVWVC6Wr4A0fYfGOQ4yWaWSPv9PhxFZAkFOQEvUbHinUY8OP2ovXDVqGYLUS7mTziRpQx_LGEtcWedJzRQ2lpyfFA

Our final offer was submitted for Julián Álvarez, meeting his buy out clause of £6.25 million. Now let me explain my reasoning as to why I submitted a bid for the Argentinian. 

Carlos Vinícius has been exceptionally good in relation to leasing the line for us this season. However, the Brazilian is still a Tottenham player with his loan expiring in July 2023

Now, there is an option to buy included for £10.75 million which I did consider before submitting the bid. 

The reasons as to why I felt Álvarez was worth the investment, firstly, in my opinion he has a higher ceiling, this paired with his younger age would make him more appealing to bigger clubs therefore hopefully drawing down a greater resale value. Secondly, Álvarez is comfortable operating from the left side of the attacking trident in the role of an IF, whereas Vinícius can only spearhead the attacks. This versatility will ensure that the Fodé Fofana (B Team) doesn't have his pathway to the first team blocked and will enable for the continuous development of both players through positional rotation. 

Next up for the club was games against Boca Juniors and Racing Club in two friendlies which I arranged during the off-season to maintain our routine of playing at least one game per week. 

sjQGLOpKYaU7lavLT_agAoKw0Lw3CayCa6pgkTyQqonmys-nut7sN8nGorRpSmYWjxEKueblRvlI0nDepSCo33N0snK0yiQ6WBb17MxSDGrEgn4zv8hNwdybSkVoeM3bEBn29vuMOr7DbnozrfgkKSoLBItopz3OnMTUi5fE6tQ2_MH10r6O3zR6Joy-wHQFUlZprHIUknVmt96wRGS1jcpLSrNa9ipk9915ZotKhUu8gJCXiW81iCFHyJiIrq9_45lTEXvpRHODZ_wR

You will note from the above images that these friendlies were used to give some of the high performing B Team and U18's game time blended with first team players. The result, we secured victories in both games (4-0, 4-0) with a consistent performance from all players.

You might have spotted a new player in the game against Racing. Álvarez opted to sign for us over Leeds United due to our form in the UCL. I expect he sees the opportunity to play at the highest level a perfect opportunity to promote himself to the bigger teams, and we would agree.

4f-16720s3LgqfYmySMe9sL90xMH18OqkpYt-dh3H2fqD-BuCzoWt1p41oSoQedLWoBiTzNtWmdS2N5kT_yafpSvPEDBe966JTXK78ss4PF5IGNjlx9XemoZE4DdBULOenFsQ9ML

Álvarez’ brace on his club debut whilst playing in his more familiar role leading the line provided Eindhoven fans with a sign of things to come. Feyenoord were then brushed aside 3-0 in the third round of the cup before we closed the month with a game against rivals Ajax.

dybToz8O1ECPiPdEFlgfwj4rZPbot8xsj0aLsxk53uJcS4O9jmMH-VfbyL5W__nDdjD7qmz7uQtkMYCswjzY302OWzskn8T_ULSAN62kYQj3QTNp4AClkfhrnehyJnoOrmo0YlpS

The game ended 1-1.

ds2lgUNs-vTIQfo9wG5hf8LIvh0xvFI6nwfBIjODnckP9XJhRtGEZ4EhAOVSdB_67OApoIn7Ylo5J4izuLXqdYpHOP7zBAAtgaqrPXQgI9z598FDuCuwtBaZU1HjDkSG1a0u1up2

We have now failed to beat Ajax in our past three meetings with the side from Amsterdam having an average 56% possession across the three games and winning the xG battle. The result leaves us two points clear of second place and 10 of Ajax in third. 

Tn_dq7vWjlH4nslYNSchqy6PYlxK9J_1mLOItUiCyGfrsbI8WGyUQUAMVsj15HhzCQkbLxSg-3YlAhx_Rd4Mns6OOnH2t5XWUn0s9EOc1Psr-j1VQWRosY4sUAF-WAPG4zyL-a2v

I would in normal circumstances rule them out of the title challenge. However, as you can see from the below they have been active in the market after selling Lisandro Martinez to Newcastle for £67 million, bringing in no fewer than six players.

xFGFzKK4OeQoioChmGyN5HCPlO6AvRvtcNAojkw5Z5EsFuPJ9KCZg-Pr2UVW0mds8q0q5u7SvzYS-rzdFfQC-JhAKECqKM_i-8BRVb0IgUcXbL2NTmysvaeOMcx1QLWJ6XOE-4jt

xzE5Ur42YrapQu68dUFvYJ3swES3os2NzAyPGUuiPiePKZ83_agxXDADJ5GLB2IOFhHJNawyeMi-3T72olw7fSlW9j7jljdOvWzBQEKVUMjFBTmr3TeRlEm0shwNQ-UIxoJrDmC2

Aston Villa put the cat amongst the pigeons on deadline day by offering £2.8 million for goalkeeper Joel Drommel, the player wanted out leaving us up a certain creek without a paddle. This move forced me into the market given the fact that I didn't feel Muller was ready to play the role as number 2 without some direct competition to push him on. 

image.thumb.png.c66bae69c1be5cccb42e87b31d47db81.png

Jaimy Kroesen, a current Dutch under 20 international was brought in to be that challenge for a fee of £1.5m from sc Heerenveen. The individual who performs the best for the B Team over the next 3 matches each will play the role as number 2. 

Edited by MattyLewis11

Tactical tweaking

Given the fact that Mario Gotze has over 230 Bundesliga appearances to his name and is a World Cup winner in 2014, the German has not been delivering to his potential.

da0Ng1NXpTlPMNT5QvGlLtSssXDY8FarZ71jHgloDNL2PGBcUsq96_Z34dNYnEKr9xgKdCMJydfO35_duH53lJqDsj9afZK8mNUYc1b4LF3g3Nm7mPmNPVB76SzEQrL-IQdni8cu

The above really emphasises just how average Gotze has been, his highest match rating over the run of Eredivisie games has been 7.0 out of ten. 

Looking at his statistics, he has a tackles won percentage of 94, which has him ranked second in the league when comparing midfielders and has a pass completion of 84%, which I feel isn’t too bad given the fact that I have selected the PI to take more risks. 

The German wasn’t having the desired effect, I wanted my CM to have a significant impact within the final third providing me with correlations to Frank Lampard with surging vertical runs, which would either act as a tool to stretch and manipulate the defensive block of the opposition or to empty the central areas of the pitch which can become a little compact using the 4-3-3, providing the roaming-playmaker with a little more room to work his magic.

This left me pondering and I opted to carry out a little experiment to see if by switching him to a central midfielder on attack would improve his contributions.

-xAVgVM0Slu6eaf8JYfO4qU1tTBRuBDDnSqBl1Q2vseSv9b5T1-YIbJVgX_DjhliNzJvYJM0LdilSQVYg_UfVBTKU5mfzVP3WXRj3zw6Mu_uGaHAFK3hnvBfq_SPcbmbpO_5sB7H

The above highlights how the two variations of the role operate within the games match engine which I will compare below;

• Pass completion % - the support role sees a completion rate of 87% whilst on attack it is 81% now given the fact that they take more risks option was selected with both roles either the differences in outputs is down to luck or maybe there are some hidden player instructions hard-coded behind the scenes.

2xn1uZeH7F0AnV29lE2tcua6iQP9MuNtIx-PTn1q5bJXAyq1607p9j5f05FzoDZ54fIcOIOLFZZX9hGgR5DQI8uhHopGwV5JY1Id_rT2mwlOqmui7_rhSwm8B4zoHduFDcdvbXSY

The above shows Gotze positioning when receiving passes within the two roles, interestingly, whilst on support he almost doubles his figures from attacking duty in relation to passes received within his own half.  

• Progressive passes - I opted to analyse the progressive passes made by filtering on forward passes only with a medium to long range within the match analysis, you will note that on support Gotze is averaging 4.6 progressive passes whilst on attack he has averaged 6.3. This in my opinion is a significant difference, with the attacking duty he seems to have a greater urgency at advancing play closer to the opponents goal.
  • Touches in box - Finally, the change in role has secured the desired effect securing a 225% increase in the Germans touches within the box, this influences his shots taken statistics, making him pose an increased threat to the opponent. 

200BntW8LmNazPzrGeTEOYvdGntNrZ_e7QzlUxbYm8H3lTswi7gdFiFKnlUsZiEaMKxnvKqIKuX7YVwEsnqVwV83DwlLLS42s_COcvtF_xlHxl-WPzX7IJYE4wDE2J-OLIOJKd-Z

This simple change has improved his average rating figure and led to him scoring his first two goals within the league, time well spent if you ask me!

In my opinion you were asking something from Gotze that he is not as a player. You mention in the beginning tackles won, but Gotze is not the player in my opinion who needs to tackle. I would use him as the creative mind of your team, not the Frank Lampard type of midfielder. 

THe tweaking helped Gotze to play more as the player he is. 

@rich ruzzian I just selected the tackles won to show that he is doing well in his role of a central midfielder, given that the support duty desires for the player to operate in both phases of the game. I have minimal expectations on him being a ball winner, as you said that is not his fortay.

Given the fact that no PI's were changed between the two roles it is crazy to see how he improved from the switch to the attacking role which for me highlights that there certainly are hidden player instructions that are fixed in the ME.

image.png.a3269c96c32be1cdc7a2b085ee2aff82.pngimage.png.e52995b2cbc3a44e222457c3fe5dbd0b.png

We exit the UCL to Xavi's Barcelona with our heads held high, we created a combined xG of 3.34 compared to their 3.47 over the two legs (the penalty helped them). 

Given our group stage form, after the Vinicius goal, I started to believe we were in with a chance...oh how I was wrong.

The £8.2m awarded for playing in the first knockout round was immediately spent to bolster the club for the following season, I wanted to sign a player which I knew from FM21 can really help provide a platform to springboard the club onto the next level, something we will need to do considering our failure to beat ajax in four games across the season.

image.thumb.png.5e4c7d2e445b4db6bedf84a509c4e740.png

Spoiler

image.png.56e3509161d7301934ccdc241aa4d85b.png

There are nine games left in the Eredivisie, nine games which separate us from being crowned the best team in Holland.

image.png.7543ed17181fe7b97c4113a9a2d52db3.png

We have a two point lead over Feyenoord, which makes for a potential title decider in our game away in Rotterdam. However, that would be ruling out Ajax, (yes they are eight points behind us and we have gone 15 without defeat) but they are Champions for the past three years for a reason and for that reason I will not rule them out until it is mathematically impossible.

I will provide my next update after the Willem II fixture, until then...thanks for reading! 

Love your analysis of the difference in Gotze’s duty change. Very unlucky against Barcelona still nice funds to carry on the progress. Some real talent at PSV I would take a look at Sven MiJnans at Sparta Rotterdam probably cost you around 5 million. He’s been a real gem for me since day one. 

I like the analysis of Gotze and the Tactical Role Tweak. I think most players (myself included) don't really understand the roles and often pick the wrong one at first for a player and hopefully by trial and error find a good one.

I think "We" want to much control and that is why we often obsess over PPM's and especially use too many TI's.

It is an ego thing.....We all believe we know Football/Soccer as well as Pep or Klopp and get frustrated when we aren't winning everthing....

I am personally trying to try a less controlling approach with less TI's, but it is hard!

Must say again as I get off my Soapbox, Great Work!

22 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Love your analysis of the difference in Gotze’s duty change. Very unlucky against Barcelona still nice funds to carry on the progress. Some real talent at PSV I would take a look at Sven MiJnans at Sparta Rotterdam probably cost you around 5 million. He’s been a real gem for me since day one. 

Thanks mate, enjoyed carrying out the micro analysis which thankfully has improved the play on the pitch, regardless of who I opt to place in the CM role. I will have a look at Mijnans, especially if I need to fill a gap when the summer window opens up. Barcelona was a bit unfortunate but if I take my initial expectations I didn't think we would make the knockout stage so it's not too bad.

22 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

I am personally trying to try a less controlling approach with less TI's, but it is hard!

I think this is the best approach, I used to spam the TI's but now prefer to let the players play and try to train their traits to reflect what I want them to achieve from the role. 

16 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Will be an exciting finish to the league campaign

Strap yourself in mate, it is going to be a nail biting finish. A cracking first season under my belt and some promising youth coming through the ranks.

13 hours ago, Mudmann said:

That being said I don’t think he will last long. 

Hence the signature of Blas, thanks for reading along 💪

The run in

RhtukGIOCdAgNw6QYeCgKoaz6NzT5hwL1oFIalcElFAYJmhZ-11MYZCaeYgaoe-tQFQp7XZpBu0xI8LGGWRFPEqXxGhDNrEadbcHWL8Pa2bMIgQZHQ_6ydLSUcMJkyeqrRyGHhBZ

With five games to go in the Eredivisie, securing the title was in our destiny, could we be crowned ‘Champions of Holland’ after my first season in charge.

If we can maintain the four point buffer between ourselves and Feyenoord, it would mean we could afford defeat against our title rivals and still be in the drivers seat.

qZLPWh5CDbIBJxDAQoyWS6CkY-MO3KXmFxebG5djovSfzythwBI8D09pxCoVMsaH97QqZmtP-oTf-uDHzJMUACWM9fzSjZKdEVpsI4eFolV_Ohm7x229Sch0UrNHLKbBRXTLGFNP

Failure at the first hurdle, Cambuur (predicted to finish 16th) have been the story of the season in the Eredivisie after securing promotion to the top tier last season. The side from Leeuwarden find themselve, after the result in seventh place in the league with Roberts Uldrikis leading the line with 15 goals.

Unfortunately, for us this was their first major scalp, we couldn’t replicate the 5-0 demolition job which we secured at home. Feyenoord scored three goals in the first 21 minutes against FC Utrecht, securing a three goal victory which as a result closed the gap at the top of the league to a single point.

UW9CtIixjYWaY5WLteILcAX4tr0K1YhbGq9zIdJ94rqHGQstfv5cKB1LIJgwrShxyjBjo_ga3cOWQbg8OcH5Ouq9JdUnEWOmPZUi32y6kI-o4PT7aqbTH0tMvAaBeQ3wNl3iDtu5

Willem II are a club on free-fall prior to our victory; they had lost the last eight league games, the worst form in the league. We secured the victory thanks to scoring from the spot (Alvarez) and Madueke scoring his 12th league goal of the campaign. Elsewhere, Feyenoord couldn’t break the deadlock against Fortuna, they did have the majority of the ball and also won the xG battle, this result now separates us by three points. Our next fixture has us both going head to head. Do we try to play it safe and go for the draw or do we go all out for the win?…I say go for the jugular…we have a three point buffer! 

kHNEmoWf41XrdKtNlq_G6NEsu-tdh2TdlxAIl5ZPUYZpO3CNwtGY-KDHWrNG7hXKfa5NP4VeaMQeo6pvy0iETKPhbGMu0sJCsHFGUcsBhEOkq4mO0I2_WjGimIzDS6sOjhc5Mjk2

Yvon Mvogo, my man has just pulled out the performance of the season, eleven shots saved ,eight of which stemmed from inside the penalty area. The newly invigorated Gotze gave us the lead in the 11th minute, as expected the home side gave everything they had to attempt to level the score until the break. The efforts clearly made Feyenoord run out of puff, they managed to generate zero attacking momentum in the second half. Carlos Vinicius dealt the final blow in the 81st minute, a single point from our final two games will secure the Eredivisie. 

MFKG-d9AXmdg59bje0fx50mQNDif0-zHBCFiRjsOi6SEDtzsP531uNYR-XcYUvmojerHTkXIAjjm5G3PovwvsAAtpT_pQ1IzmO2EHWdV5h7DnZQ1bzAJHj4kewSYUAaC4TU0JbOM

There was a buzz about the Philips Stadion before the game against NEC, the fans, players and Steinkelsson knew that 90 minutes was all that was potentially between PSV and the Eredivisie trophy.

Three goals spanning eleven minutes in the first-half was sign of what was to come, the game finished with a total of seven different scorers as we romped home to an eight - nil victory.

-wSbgWLbGhfW7yuVm9aKP3c3TAJUnqVZ_kj5xxuYXtPfFt3_9adzLCSZp-GLm5A9doUtUCFyMkzeMh9kvlNo4OeC2CItn9NJSiCdLSbeLPupaJUTJsbgwDgU6oZmkhpjsMQAwM-V

The star of the show was Gotze who picked up a perfect ten in retrospect of his match rating, his performances have me sitting here grateful carrying out the tweak to his role and also scratching my head, thinking of what could have been if we played that way from the off.

Mario wasn’t the only star performer, a front runner for player of the season Philipp Max contributed with a goal and two assists of his own along with nine key passes, picking up a rating of 9.6. 

9R5yE9SzL_rsGa9TSR8a9aYaoJoFxVZlq5Zfq8VC_EpG4nnc5asVatS7c6V7NeUnlZy_JGa1FZ9vhOzewxYDavjWWgIGJ4qv8g6FkxApdWoT6aN5dCpGLFMr8Q82am-DU9x3jBc6

What a time to be alive for PSV fans, I forgot to update you on the youth intake earlier in the season so here is a flavour of the elite players from the bunch. 

Season one analysis to follow after I let the pups out to face PEC Zwolle in the final game.

wM8Lt71EYYUp1v8pEAm4qHLuetCw-b2IcR3gTz06A9zuvvFscVoCuIPVf4SpieazRqpR7C7oCvvi48-huNjkG2vcLbCr7iekWpy9ES9Qw-GxwA5FywmZCp-_ypfqEOO0ouT3bqKu

Gotze finding his 2014 form is probably the best thing that could happen thanks to your tactical tweak.

Also, you and others make this game look too easy.....I NEVER win a Top League in a nation at the first time asking...mostly just happy to be there usually as part of a 5-Year Plan!

Congratulations, You are now poised to dominate Ajax for years to come!

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

I'm not sure what the best part of this last post is. Is it the 8-0 win to capture the title or is it that you're reaping the rewards of a tactical switch to get the best out of Gotze?

For me it has to be the emphatic victory, especially when considering the occasion. I think it goes a long way to showing the character which I have within the playing squad. 

8 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Also, you and others make this game look too easy..

Appreciate the compliment mate, I am still yet to win the UCL in the history of my FM days.

I think looking back at some of my main saves in FM I won the following;

FM19 Dortmund - Budesliga * 4/5 across seven seasons. Bayern were appalling and had something like 13 managers across that span which certainly helped. I also lost the UCL Final to Madrid if memory serves me right 

FM20 Salernitana - Serie A after a few attempts but no luck in Europe.

FM21 - OGC Nice - UEL winning the final against Benfica after my first season. I failed to knock PSG off the thrown as they won Ligue 1 across the 5/6 seasons of the save.

I think for me I never really deviate away from 433 4231 so have a real good feel for when things are working/not working.

I would like to improve my knowledge and understanding of some of the other we'll used roles, your Libero, Wide-CB or even explore strikerless or the asymmetric formations but can't seem to pull myself away from my comfort bubble lol.

@MattyLewis11: I had to break myself of the habit of playing the 4-2-3-1 Wide (FM14-FM20) and now I have experimented with the 5-2-1-2WB of @SixPointer fame over several saves and trying to understand that formation.

I've never had any real success with the 4-3-3 except with Liverpool and that doesn't count.

The 4-3-3 is the next on my list of formations to learn.

I must admit if I look at a team that I take over I will often initially play with 4-2-3-1 Wide even now even if my ultimate aim is to use another formation. Especially if I need results right away.

KUTGW!

18 hours ago, rich ruzzian said:

Nice! PSV supporters would be very happy with this result in real life. Is always fascinates me how FM let Ajax underperform in de dutch league. 

Youth intake seems decent. Any transfertargets already in place? 

In my last save Ajax was as dominant as PSG or Bayern! Guess it varies. 

On 13/01/2022 at 22:30, Hootieleece said:

@MattyLewis11: I had to break myself of the habit of playing the 4-2-3-1 Wide (FM14-FM20) and now I have experimented with the 5-2-1-2WB of @SixPointer fame over several saves and trying to understand that formation.

I've never had any real success with the 4-3-3 except with Liverpool and that doesn't count.

The 4-3-3 is the next on my list of formations to learn.

I must admit if I look at a team that I take over I will often initially play with 4-2-3-1 Wide even now even if my ultimate aim is to use another formation. Especially if I need results right away.

KUTGW!

I’m currently doing the opposite. I’ve worked myself away from 3 at the back. Tail end of FM21 and into FM22. Trying focus on 4 at the back. 433 has been the go to. But now feel I may need a 4231 for trickier away games. A formation I’ve never really been keen on tbh. 
The introduction of the WCB has tested my resolve of staying away from the 3 at the back. 

1*TSQAsjv-yG1gR7j1MEvCnw.png

---

FM22: The PSV story - Season one

After what has been an impressive first season with PSV, I am in the position to provide an analysis into Steinkelsson's first season in charge at the club.

Kudos to Arne Slot and his Feyenoord team for providing a title challenge, the Dutchman in my opinion deserved to pick up the accolade of Manager of the Year, given the fact that Feyenoord have a salary per year of £8.57 million compared to PSV's £20.99 million and Ajax's £45.52. 

1*-6HVxKpbu8ior2Pb7S2Rsw.png
Erik ten Hag's side finished 14 points off the pace, despite holding a superior record over ourselves (2W, 2D, 0L). The above image shows the six occasions which the league favourites were defeated in the Eredivisie which includes a massive scalp for Willem II at the Johan Cruijff Arena. 

General performance

1*DTCaMODUOLTIl3PhlBcjvQ.png
Studying the expected points and goals table which can be found within the data hub shows that despite gaining an additional 10 points more than expected, we were indeed the rightful Eredivisie champions. 

Heracles were the side which had the most luck, gaining an additional 11 points more then expected. Whilst Willem II, who escaped relegation by two points, really shouldn't have been in that position as they secured 10 points less than expected.

NEC closed the season with the lowest xG whilst Fortuna Sittard had the highest xG against, these key statistics really add significant weight to the reasons as to why both were relegated, with NEC only securing six wins and Fortuna going one better with seven. 

Looking at the below general performance radar, we closed the season sitting comfortably above the league average in relation to most metrics with only pass completion and shots on target slightly behind the average. 

Pass completion - despite performing slightly below average we finished in fifth place in relation to the Eredivisie's average possession. Our figure of 52% was six percent off Feyenoord who topped the charts with 58% and also boasted the highest passes completed with 23,646. Our 16,144 just goes to show that possession football isn't always effective if you don't use the ball effectively. (not pointing the finger at Feyenoord, their 83 goals scored goes to show that they did indeed utilise the ball well). 

Shots on target - I am not even going to worry about this metric, when looking at our conversion rate (12%) we are in fact in fourth place, two percent off Feyenoord who again lead the division with 14%.

1*cZ5AlddkzhMNFcaWYXjjdQ.png
We finished the season with the lowest expected goals against figure of 25.6, I will again look towards the data hub to highlight the reasons which helped us be the side which creating shots with a high xG come few and far between.

Possession lost

Looking at our first visualisation on possession lost, you will note that a significant amount of possession is lost within the opponent's half (61%) with our worst area being just inside the opponent's half in the centre of the pitch.

1*NkZbhEJUi2OMFownUgv_gQ.png
Losing the ball so far away from your own goal means that the opponent will need to progress the ball over a larger distance in order to create an opportunity which has a higher goal scoring chance. 

I am fully aware that losing the ball so high up the field can often mean that as the attacking side you may have over committed individuals to create overloads in the attacking third and therefore be vulnerable to the counter. Hopefully the next section will go a long way to explaining why this isn't applicable in our case.

Possession gained 

The visualisation of possession gained I feel is a key indicator which highlights one of the main reasons as to why we have been so successful in keeping the opposition on a short leash. 

1*5k-r0HkaclHKtM1ub6zH0g.png
When splitting the field of play into three distinct zones (defensive, middle, attacking) and measuring possession gained, we are the most effective re-gaining the ball in the middle zone (51%).

Ibrahim Sangare  has played a large contribution to this success, the Ivorian boasts a 91% headers  won ratio, making him the best in Eredivisie at winning aerial duels, Tom Beugelsdijk of Sparta Rotterdam came in 2nd place with 89%.

1*nYLCoT4jNpJru0dr_w8fUA.png
Of course there are more ways to skin a cat, so I took the time to look at the effectiveness of our midfield in the tackle.

The fact that ALL midfielders within the club have an above average tackles won ratio adds context as to why we are so effective at winning the ball back.

Defensive actions

The next visual I feel really captures how effective we are in relation to our defensive shape/organisation. You can see that 29% of actions are from within our own box, you would expect for most of these to be headers or blocks.

1*LnG8W6YGpPtrXrnvj38EWQ.png
Given the fact that I have had the luxury of watching each and every game (Comprehensive) I know that the a large volume of the replays have shown opposition getting down the flanks and attempting to deliver crosses into the box.

Looking at the aerial analysis from within the hub you will see that ALL of my centre-backs have scored above average in relation to headers won %.

1*kNiR9eS0HlB36aLXPb667w.png
Looking at the league stats in more detail I discovered that Boscagli, Obispo, Ramalho and Teze all have above 9 headers won per 90, this shows that there is yet another effective barrier to the opposition to scoring a goal and that is even before they get to Yvon Mvogo, the keeper with the highest save percentage in the Eredivisie at 90%.

---

Goal contributions

1*sRuuM4HfjJHgC2aZ2QyrAg.png

The above visualisation I made on Tableau, it is a great way to show how the spread of goal contributions are across the team. Are you too reliant on one or two players or are your contributions diluted across the whole team.

Now, your tactic will have a significant impact on the outcomes, which means that you as the Manager should know who should be contributing higher than others (Gotze for example prior to the tactical tweak).
Noni Madueke this season has a goal contribution to his name every 69 minutes in the Eredivisie, what an asset I have on my hands! 

Philipp Max (132 minutes) and Cody Gakpo (83 minutes) are also churning out some exceptionally high numbers which I felt the need to draw your attention towards.

1*xcin4oryqpBop4lgqWtJkg.png

---

Squad Profile

As many of you will now know, the squad profile is another attractive visualisation which can be used as a tool to analyse your squad.

I have decided to create a squad profile for PSV, this will help me to make some key decisions in relation to personnel in preparation for the 2022/23 season.

The below image shows the minutes secured by players from all teams in the Eredivisie across the 2021/22 season.

1*zj7DGrZ3SpUBrhXts8JwDg.png

As you can see from the above visualisation the core of this team fall into the 'Youth' category, with seven players from within this segment securing above average playing time.

These individuals are key to the club and will be offered long-term deals over the summer, which hopefully see them progress into their prime (24–29) with the club.

The players in the bottom half of this section (below average minutes) will need to be given a review. Most of these are players which have spent most of their time in either the Jong PSV side or the U18's and their minutes are part of their development pathway. Individuals who are a concern are the likes of Yorbe Vertessen, Mauro Junior, Erick Gutierrez, Ryan Thomas, Davy Propper and Eran Zahavi, all of which have spent the whole season within the realms of the first-team and haven't secured a large volume of minutes.

I will provide a brief summary on the individuals highlighted below;
Yorbe Vertessen - at 21 securing only 307 minutes of league football is not good enough to aid his development, the Belgian has a potential ability of four stars. Yorbe's problem was Bruma who was demanding playing time and therefore provided a block to him playing number two. Given the fact that Bruma has been moved on, the youngster will secure many more minutes in season two, given the fact that competition has decreased.

Mauro Junior - most of Mauro's 14 appearances came from the bench (nine). Given the fact that he often was third choice to play in the role of left-sided wing-back (Boscagli our ball playing centre back preferred as second choice) means that the Brazilian really is surplus to requirements at the club. If he is happy to play out this role, I will be happy to keep him due to his ability to play in a range of roles making him a great utility player.

Erick Gutierrez - a Mexican international who is aged 26 should not be happy with only securing 663 minutes of league football. Gutierrez has an exceptional pivot (Passing 15, Technique 14 and Vision 15) paired with some great traits (Dictates Tempo, Likes to switch the ball & Comes deep to get the ball). Our problem is that we play with a BWM in the deep role of the midfield three. I think if Gutierrez can't be offloaded a loan move may help him to raise his market value for a future sale.

Ryan Thomas - 573 minutes of football and his contract expiring, it is clear to see that Ryan holds no future with the club. I will be entrigued to see where he ends up playing as again he is an exceptional ball player (Passing 15, Technique 16 and Vision 12) with great Off The Ball movement 16 and a excellent Work Rate 16. 

Davy Propper - Davy is injury prone, this reflected in him missing 35% of the season through injury (Achilles tendon). At 30 years old he is past his prime and at a crossroads. Do we extend his contract to ensure we maintain the mix and blend of youth and experience or do we cash in on him whilst he still holds a good market value. 

Eran Zahavi - our 34 year old team leader, always a tricky one when deciding the outcome of these players. Can they offer anything off the pitch? His Determination is 19 with a Driven personality which could be of use for mentoring. You need to be wary that the decision to move any leader on may upset the applecart and ruin the good team dynamic you have within the club…be warned.

The players within the 'Peak' section (24–29) speak for themselves, these will all be staying with the club unless an offer comes in from one of Europe elite.

Players who sit within the 'Experienced' segment on the far right should look to be offloaded, however Zahavi is one of only three leaders within the club hierarchy and his willingness to accept a decreased contract will mean that he stays on with the club as he can still contribute off the field.

Edited by MattyLewis11

10 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

I like that you have a plan for the under-utilized players. Your Chart and descriptions of the situation are perfect.

Cheers mate, squad positions become even more important when looking to bring players through the ranks. The extra 500 odd minutes could be a bid difference to an under 19 year old in relation to their development.

4 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

The age vs minutes thing did you do yourself or its available on the game? 

It's on the peripherals of my Tableau skill set, can easily be replicated in Excel and is always a great tool (IMO) to aid squad planning. 

2 hours ago, rich ruzzian said:

Zahavi is one off the best paid players of PSV if i am correct? Could be a bit expensive just to keep him around for mentoring if he does not paly that much on the pitch. 

He is within the top ten;

Gotze £49k pw, Alvarez £41k pw, Ramalho £34k pw, Propper £33k pw, Sangare £25k p/w are the top earners.

Zahavi is on £14.5k which is about 3% of the current spend on wages per week. 

Not that bad if he is to be used as a mentor given the fact that van Ginkel is the only player being used to date given his personality (Perfectionist) and Determination 17. 

34 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Great analysis of the first season. As always may I add 

Appreciate the love and as always taking the time to comment.

Transfer Window

Newcastle, despite being rebuffed back in January for Philipp Max, opted to come in with a bid of £55 million for the German. This time Max made his desire to leave public and handed in a transfer request, therefore the bid was accepted. The pending transfer dwarfed the club record fee received, which was £34 million for the signing of Hirving Lozano to Napoli.

Given the importance of the role which the left wing-back plays within our tactic, current first-team player Mauro Junior who has played second-string behind Max really isn’t of the standard to hold the position down on a regular basis as the Brazilian lacks the speed and lung capacity to work the left flank for sustained periods of time.

Our other option from within the club was that of Fredrik Oppegard, the 19-year-old Norwegian who is an exciting young prospect and will be moved into the first team this season as part of his progression pathway. However, he needs time to develop, which meant that I needed to turn to the transfer market to find a replacement.

The search didn’t take long, I knew that a few weeks before the end of the season AZ had put Owen Wijndal on the transfer market due to him entering into the last year of his contract. A £27 million pound bid would need to be bid to secure his services, with additional conditions (£4.5 million after 50 games), thus making the transfer the clubs biggest by some way, the old record was £12 million for the services of Mateja Kezman from FK Partizan. 

0tVGCdGmaZ3aN5F1JGQHQoIaKTQ_g7oDRo6vcWJxADykgdXdOojsrd5s8h74LxQ-ZpHBcOpXTcB05T0bQRxs2WpBp7qWDsq4d7bTxxgGGI9IxUvszJKroVGJgjHqH_wllFfy-Cjp

The 22-year-old accepted the offer and immediately his market value reflected £39-£48 million, when comparing the players attributes above you will note that Wijndal is a left-back who exhibits consistently good technical fundamentals. He has a good grasp of the basics: scanning space to assess danger and inform his next decision (Anticipation 13). 

Hopefully Owen will be able to strike up a strong partnership with Gakpo down the left flank, drawing upon his 14 off the ball attribute to move beyond his fellow countryman to become a threat in the final-third, with his crossing ability there is no reason that Owen can not be as effective as Philipp was for us in the first season. 

Owen is also an effective passer of the ball (Passing 13, Technique 13 & Vision 13) his composure on the ball will also aid us when playing out from the back and playing out against teams which adopt the high press.

Davy Propper was another player to leave the club, despite being unavailable for 35% of games last season Brentford have plans for the 30-year-old and tabled a £17.5 million pound bid. This was accepted due to pending additions of both Jose Callejon and Ludovic Blas to the midfield and once again the development pathway of Mathias Kjolo which will see the youngster gain increased exposure to the Eredivisie. 

The final piece to the PSV puzzle in my eyes has been completed through the capture of Nico Schlotterbeck from SC Freiburg for an initial £10 million with a further five paid over a two year period. 

SCK9R9AL0PDiIqqgoYqp_7-QUu8xLOL34BwDSbjn4w6kf6IiE4v2g0EvrPZDgZ5mfqitTcFNsWiXsuMnBsRUWfKwFIQXgliguukvlEzkepWp8Vu9qzy3ONHWZgvVoijA69pV5A05

Nico is the instantiation of a ball-playing centre-back. Primarily a ball carrier, he is good with both feet (the left being his dominant), exceptional at reading the space around opponents when ball-carrying, and has the physique to be a mobile central defender (Agility 11, Pace 12)

The decision to delve into the market for Nico was down to a lack of left-footed centre-backs within the club, which I feel hold a high importance to influencing the build-up phase, helping to unlock the left-side of the pitch. 

5H8jitsTcai9Yka2UDRoVJf5LIrAltHFMuCoSSazTwzKEr_M4ORKgpZN1_Mwo7koEvwTdMSMJphwxNL83DUM444ncEvpZAJoqU9dbqLPMV9pz6xsld2klA9BUfUdlZbH_fMDNK0F

Nico has largely played as an outside (wide) centre-back in a back three (highlighted in this season's heatmap from SofaScore), which could see us look to employ a 352 (calm down) as a secondary tactic, hopefully allowing Schlotterbeck to drive forward with the ball deep in the opposition's half, attacking space opened out by Owen.

We also sold two players who returned from loan spells last season; Timo Baumgartl who was on loan at Union Berlin was sold to SC Freiburg for £3 million after impressing in the Bundesliga in his 25 appearances, whilst Derrick Luckassen secured a move to Ligue 1 after Montpellier submitted a £1.2 million bid.

e_J-gsWfcjRGGRZTfYC7DRGkrfw4kLDcl_DJn4JEPhwtByuM4HkosbmDXlLiQYBcvcIeUCS967SW0YggQJ1SZn9aC30eYSbbt89p3Ojl8LadnVV5GcxSrBq-Ltfpek1eF34MzVw8

Football Manager then decided to present us with a lovely gift of £3.7 million after Memphis Depay signed for Manchester United for a second time, this time costing the club £106 million. 

With respect to player development the following individuals have progressed within their development pathways and are ready for their breakout season.

1. Vincent Muller - the 21-year-old German had the highest save percentage in the Keuken Kampioen at 77%, he has spent the last two seasons with Jong PSV and now is the right time to step up into the role of as the cup-goalkeeper for PSV. 

1. Emmanuel van de Blaak - at 17 years of age the dutch defender has carved out an opportunity for 2022/23 to be his breakthrough season in the Eredivisie, leapfrogging Luis Felipe to a first-team spot. The no-nonsense defender has proven his ability with consistent dominant performances last season with the U18s, showing his ability both in the air and with respect to his intelligence on the pitch. The one question mark over his game is that the physical advantage which he held within the youth game will void when facing grown men.  

1. Fredrik Oppegard - the 19-year-old Norwegian accumulated nine assists in the Keuken Kampioen last season, enough to see him crowned with the top assists in the division with an assist per 90 metric of 0.37. The left-footed attacking wing-back will provide competition for Mauro Junior to play second fiddle to Owen Winjdal.

The three squads for the season will resemble the below, Jong PSV will be looking to retain the Keuken Kampioen Divisie after securing the title last season. Can they go one further in the International Cup after losing last season's Semi-Final to Burnley U23 by three goals to nil.

The under 18’s are also looking to retain the Dutch U18 league and ideally progress further than the second knockout round in the UEFA Youth League, last season they were defeated by Bayern (Runners-up to Dortmund) 1-0 thanks to a goal from Luca Denk

Ec2YgqdmZjo1ciDlfkFkpPjacVwFjo29IVFzg5ADRVJlmC-V2nupaVEsZlBDMlXbCI9_OwCAk4blkhoktOvjuc1Yh4vWUhkSx5mRUyNJJeVkm_IJA5GbP_liv9a-9Bj8oL7XgCCe

1 hour ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Transfer Window

Newcastle, despite being rebuffed back in January for Philipp Max, opted to come in with a bid of £55 million for the German. This time Max made his desire to leave public and handed in a transfer request, therefore the bid was accepted. The pending transfer dwarfed the club record fee received, which was £34 million for the signing of Hirving Lozano to Napoli.

Given the importance of the role which the left wing-back plays within our tactic, current first-team player Mauro Junior who has played second-string behind Max really isn’t of the standard to hold the position down on a regular basis as the Brazilian lacks the speed and lung capacity to work the left flank for sustained periods of time.

Our other option from within the club was that of Fredrik Oppegard, the 19-year-old Norwegian who is an exciting young prospect and will be moved into the first team this season as part of his progression pathway. However, he needs time to develop, which meant that I needed to turn to the transfer market to find a replacement.

The search didn’t take long, I knew that a few weeks before the end of the season AZ had put Owen Wijndal on the transfer market due to him entering into the last year of his contract. A £27 million pound bid would need to be bid to secure his services, with additional conditions (£4.5 million after 50 games), thus making the transfer the clubs biggest by some way, the old record was £12 million for the services of Mateja Kezman from FK Partizan. 

0tVGCdGmaZ3aN5F1JGQHQoIaKTQ_g7oDRo6vcWJxADykgdXdOojsrd5s8h74LxQ-ZpHBcOpXTcB05T0bQRxs2WpBp7qWDsq4d7bTxxgGGI9IxUvszJKroVGJgjHqH_wllFfy-Cjp

The 22-year-old accepted the offer and immediately his market value reflected £39-£48 million, when comparing the players attributes above you will note that Wijndal is a left-back who exhibits consistently good technical fundamentals. He has a good grasp of the basics: scanning space to assess danger and inform his next decision (Anticipation 13). 

Hopefully Owen will be able to strike up a strong partnership with Gakpo down the left flank, drawing upon his 14 off the ball attribute to move beyond his fellow countryman to become a threat in the final-third, with his crossing ability there is no reason that Owen can not be as effective as Philipp was for us in the first season. 

Owen is also an effective passer of the ball (Passing 13, Technique 13 & Vision 13) his composure on the ball will also aid us when playing out from the back and playing out against teams which adopt the high press.

Davy Propper was another player to leave the club, despite being unavailable for 35% of games last season Brentford have plans for the 30-year-old and tabled a £17.5 million pound bid. This was accepted due to pending additions of both Jose Callejon and Ludovic Blas to the midfield and once again the development pathway of Mathias Kjolo which will see the youngster gain increased exposure to the Eredivisie. 

The final piece to the PSV puzzle in my eyes has been completed through the capture of Nico Schlotterbeck from SC Freiburg for an initial £10 million with a further five paid over a two year period. 

SCK9R9AL0PDiIqqgoYqp_7-QUu8xLOL34BwDSbjn4w6kf6IiE4v2g0EvrPZDgZ5mfqitTcFNsWiXsuMnBsRUWfKwFIQXgliguukvlEzkepWp8Vu9qzy3ONHWZgvVoijA69pV5A05

Nico is the instantiation of a ball-playing centre-back. Primarily a ball carrier, he is good with both feet (the left being his dominant), exceptional at reading the space around opponents when ball-carrying, and has the physique to be a mobile central defender (Agility 11, Pace 12)

The decision to delve into the market for Nico was down to a lack of left-footed centre-backs within the club, which I feel hold a high importance to influencing the build-up phase, helping to unlock the left-side of the pitch. 

5H8jitsTcai9Yka2UDRoVJf5LIrAltHFMuCoSSazTwzKEr_M4ORKgpZN1_Mwo7koEvwTdMSMJphwxNL83DUM444ncEvpZAJoqU9dbqLPMV9pz6xsld2klA9BUfUdlZbH_fMDNK0F

Nico has largely played as an outside (wide) centre-back in a back three (highlighted in this season's heatmap from SofaScore), which could see us look to employ a 352 (calm down) as a secondary tactic, hopefully allowing Schlotterbeck to drive forward with the ball deep in the opposition's half, attacking space opened out by Owen.

We also sold two players who returned from loan spells last season; Timo Baumgartl who was on loan at Union Berlin was sold to SC Freiburg for £3 million after impressing in the Bundesliga in his 25 appearances, whilst Derrick Luckassen secured a move to Ligue 1 after Montpellier submitted a £1.2 million bid.

e_J-gsWfcjRGGRZTfYC7DRGkrfw4kLDcl_DJn4JEPhwtByuM4HkosbmDXlLiQYBcvcIeUCS967SW0YggQJ1SZn9aC30eYSbbt89p3Ojl8LadnVV5GcxSrBq-Ltfpek1eF34MzVw8

Football Manager then decided to present us with a lovely gift of £3.7 million after Memphis Depay signed for Manchester United for a second time, this time costing the club £106 million. 

With respect to player development the following individuals have progressed within their development pathways and are ready for their breakout season.

1. Vincent Muller - the 21-year-old German had the highest save percentage in the Keuken Kampioen at 77%, he has spent the last two seasons with Jong PSV and now is the right time to step up into the role of as the cup-goalkeeper for PSV. 

1. Emmanuel van de Blaak - at 17 years of age the dutch defender has carved out an opportunity for 2022/23 to be his breakthrough season in the Eredivisie, leapfrogging Luis Felipe to a first-team spot. The no-nonsense defender has proven his ability with consistent dominant performances last season with the U18s, showing his ability both in the air and with respect to his intelligence on the pitch. The one question mark over his game is that the physical advantage which he held within the youth game will void when facing grown men.  

1. Fredrik Oppegard - the 19-year-old Norwegian accumulated nine assists in the Keuken Kampioen last season, enough to see him crowned with the top assists in the division with an assist per 90 metric of 0.37. The left-footed attacking wing-back will provide competition for Mauro Junior to play second fiddle to Owen Winjdal.

The three squads for the season will resemble the below, Jong PSV will be looking to retain the Keuken Kampioen Divisie after securing the title last season. Can they go one further in the International Cup after losing last season's Semi-Final to Burnley U23 by three goals to nil.

The under 18’s are also looking to retain the Dutch U18 league and ideally progress further than the second knockout round in the UEFA Youth League, last season they were defeated by Bayern (Runners-up to Dortmund) 1-0 thanks to a goal from Luca Denk

Ec2YgqdmZjo1ciDlfkFkpPjacVwFjo29IVFzg5ADRVJlmC-V2nupaVEsZlBDMlXbCI9_OwCAk4blkhoktOvjuc1Yh4vWUhkSx5mRUyNJJeVkm_IJA5GbP_liv9a-9Bj8oL7XgCCe

A good summers business! Did you have a look at Jayden Oosterwolde for LWB. I think Owen is probably better but they seem to be the two that are flying the flag as next big Dutch left backs. I could only dream of one of them coming to join me at Sparta Rotterdam 🤣

also the mention of a 352 are you feeling okay? 🤣 I would like to see your ideas behind it though. 

17 hours ago, rich ruzzian said:

Did i miss something or is Zahavi sold? I dont see him in de line-ups, als a back-up. With Wijndal you have the future of left-back for the Dutch national team. Lets hope you can keep him for many years. 

He was indeed, Southampton offered £600k and he wanted out, maybe they offered him more playing time.

Ryan Thomas now finds himself with Torino in Serie A and youngster Nathan Markelo is with Ipswich Town.

Erick Gutierrez has secured a loan move back to Mexico with Cruz Azul in other undocumented moves.

Really enjoying your updates!

A question regarding your youth squads. Do you actively monitor if all players receive sufficient game time? Or do you even have a more hands on approach by selecting who plays week in, week out?

I use a similar approach to youth teams, where I like to restrict it to 18-20 players or so, given that they only play 1 game a week. But I still wonder if all of them are getting enough appropriate game time or if, say, my better U18 right back is always playing ahead of the younger U18 right back

31 minutes ago, Dereka said:

Really enjoying your updates!

A question regarding your youth squads. Do you actively monitor if all players receive sufficient game time? Or do you even have a more hands on approach by selecting who plays week in, week out?

I use a similar approach to youth teams, where I like to restrict it to 18-20 players or so, given that they only play 1 game a week. But I still wonder if all of them are getting enough appropriate game time or if, say, my better U18 right back is always playing ahead of the younger U18 right back

I am fully submerged in the youth development, picking both the Jong and U18 teams each week to ensure I am in control of the minutes gained.

I believe this is the only way as the assman really makes questionable choices. 

Just caught up on this Matty, great first season and love the in depth approach as always. 
I am interested in hearing more about how you approach transfers in this save, as you said you had used Bias previously so had previous knowledge then the signing of Wjindal looks great, was that using real life knowledge or did your scouts recommend him? 
Are you actively scouting for youngsters to join your youth teams and how are you doing that? 
Are there certain things you’re looking for attribute wise for this team going forward? 
Loved the Gotze change, just shows a simple role mentality switch can make a difference I think others would have changed the whole role or even tactic to try and get more out of him.

Dan

22 hours ago, danielgear said:

Are you actively scouting for youngsters to join your youth teams and how are you doing that? 

I am looking to bring the players through the ranks from within the club, there is a vast pool of talent to draw from. The method has been to carry out an analysis into each individual at the club and establish a pathway from the U18 to PSV via the Jong side. 

Of course you can't always rely on players to fill the voids, take the Blas transfer for example, Babadi is someone who in a season or two's time could be at a level to feature regularly for the senior side. In my opinion he isn't quite there and needs a transition year in Jong at least before giving exposure to Eredivisie minutes, hence the option to explore the transfer market. 

image.thumb.png.607ec241e7cb5afaa6b4cac7bc629baa.png

However, Van de Blaak has shown he is more than ready to make the jump this season from U18 straight into the senior side and therefore saving the club millions.

I do appreciate that the talent supply will run out, so I have been beaving away behind the scenes improving the facilities within the club which we all know helps to improve the pull in relation to that golden generation.

image.png.55ef57e974bd3e7fc903d5cb4bea5400.png

Scouts are also deployed across many of the wonderkid regions with assignments set to look for players U21 who have a star potential rating, with the view to bringing in talent. 

Schlotterbeck was an individual highlighted by scouts as I was looking to bring in a left-footed CB whilst Wijindal was a player signed from knowledge - those Scouted Football handbooks come in handy!