[Help] Getting Weak Side DWs to Tuck In

First post here,

I love this tactic and after tweaking and analyzing its brought me great success, but I wanted to reach out to some of the more knowledgeable veterans on here about defensive wingers out of possession.  It seems like I mostly concede after a long switch to the opposite flank and a quick cross.  When out of possession and not in a pressing scenario, after a team has broken my press and gotten the ball to a more creative player, my weak side defensive winger is sometimes caught in the space between the opposing wing back and advanced wide player - usually 10 to 15 yds behind the mid line in my half.  I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion to help with this problem.  I love the DW in a press and its capability going forward. Is dropping to WB my only option? Thank you.

Capture.JPG

well I'm just think about how this formation works defensively? 

• Is it always a pressing tactic? considering your team mentality increases when you push the LoE higher and your attacking mentality you going to take a lot of risks to get the ball back defensively.
  • When do you need counter-press?  can't you you just switch it off and leave it up to your players 
  • Why the prevent GK short distribution?  the goalkeeper gets the ball in and your players are transitioning defensively, won't he just fire the ball to the flanks.
  • Why the high block? Your formation is top-heavy compared to others formations so can't you use a mid- high block?

26 minutes ago, nully29 said:

To prevent concedeing from far post crosses, 5 men defense and wide defensive width is the best. Try a 5 men line, even full backs on support are fairly attacking in this engine. Wingbacks are very attacking

You do know he asked for a solution with his preferred 11 and he hasn't referred to any problems with his attack so why should he change so quickly, if any thing the tactic is fine its just too aggressive defensively. 5 man defense and wide width is just asking for more trouble in the channels instead of a back post crossing  they can be through on goal on counter or they will shoot from outside not to mention the players will just be pulled around especially with aggressive mentality

38 minutes ago, De Nile said:

You do know he asked for a solution with his preferred 11 and he hasn't referred to any problems with his attack so why should he change so quickly, if any thing the tactic is fine its just too aggressive defensively. 5 man defense and wide width is just asking for more trouble in the channels instead of a back post crossing  they can be through on goal on counter or they will shoot from outside not to mention the players will just be pulled around especially with aggressive mentality

OP did ask for help about preventing far post crosses and mentioned that he doesn't want to drop DW down a strata because he likes how DW goes forward. In fact, dropping to RD, even more than to WB, does help prevent far post crosses and RD still goes forward quite well.

Edited by nully29

You identified the problem.  You have one player on that flank and he's high up and presses hard.  Your Mez will often get lost and be of little use in defense.  If your one wide player presses hard in your opponent's area, there is no way that he's tracking back.  Trent Alexander Arnold often can't do it. 

You could try to put your LM on DW(d) and he'll hold position more.  Or you could try a WM.  Won't be as good in attack or close down as well. 

You could try to have your LCB close down more and/or put the 'trigger press' instruction onto your opponent's RW but you'll have to watch out for that wide open channel between your LCB and your CB.