FM22 - This is how I counter attack

15 minutes ago, cragswfc said:

download link?

We're not in the download tactics part of the forum, and even if we were he's literally given you all the information you need to make the tactics in minutes!

OP - I like this tactic a lot. We see a lot of OP gegen-press style tactics so it's good to see something a bit more pragmatic. 

2 hours ago, carloshcorbalan said:

I don't see a link to tactics ...
Therefore.
Are there individual instructions to the players .. ???

He literally addresses this specifically. 

Edit - love the thread and the detail. Thanks for taking the time share with us, Gah. Gonna try these ideas. 

Edited by Bigpapa42

That's impressive!  Only 31 allowed in the EPL and four of those allowed in one game = 27 allowed in the other 37 games.  One goal allowed in your last eight matches!

I wondered if as they learned your style, teams would start to counter-attack wider against you but it looks like your defense got stronger and stronger.  I'm guessing that your WCBs were great at closing down the flanks (?)

What's your plan for next season?  Will you use the extra money to buy depth? or upgrade your starters?  or bring in some youth prospects?  or facilities?  I always feel the dilemna when I first get European football with a smaller club.  I can play reserves and tank the cup matches so that I can concentrate on the league games, but each cup match won brings a lot of money.

3 hours ago, cragswfc said:

download link?

3 hours ago, carloshcorbalan said:

I don't see a link to tactics ...
Therefore.
Are there individual instructions to the players .. ???

Hi, there's no download link as I don't feel one is needed. All of the roles and instructions are specified within the post. I don't use any individual instructions on any roles. It's all left default.

14 minutes ago, glengarry224 said:

That's impressive!  Only 31 allowed in the EPL and four of those allowed in one game = 27 allowed in the other 37 games.  One goal allowed in your last eight matches!

I wondered if as they learned your style, teams would start to counter-attack wider against you but it looks like your defense got stronger and stronger.  I'm guessing that your WCBs were great at closing down the flanks (?)

What's your plan for next season?  Will you use the extra money to buy depth? or upgrade your starters?  or bring in some youth prospects?  or facilities?  I always feel the dilemna when I first get European football with a smaller club.  I can play reserves and tank the cup matches so that I can concentrate on the league games, but each cup match won brings a lot of money.

The anchorman is key to not conceding goals.

The WCB on support specifically can be more aggressive when the opposition enters their zone of control, which would be a problem if there wasn't a covering CB behind both of them with the anchorman also there to cover positions where needed. What I see quite often when I watch this tactic in real time is that the WCB will have a higher start position than any other defensive role I've tried (apart from WCB-A but that role isn't suited for any style I'd play, needs too much specializing around it to work), so if there isn't someone covering behind them then you'll get absolutely destroyed by through balls. With the Anchorman + CB-C my team can play extremely aggressive as a unit closing down, specifically on the flanks as you said. The wingback isn't 1v1 or 1v2 anymore, because the WCB can move out to help and the anchorman will slide over into his position. My fear is that better teams will eventually exploit this with a wide switch of the ball, but we'll see :)

As for plans for next season; Delia Smith retired the moment we achieved champions league football and we got bought by a tycoon, which was funny. We are now owned by Vincent Kesler for better or worse has yet to be decided. He instantly declared he wants 1/4 finals in the champions league, final of the FA cup, final of the league cup, and finishing in the top 4. So, maybe I don't keep my job too long this season :lol:

y7J3mfM.png?1

He promised significant investment, so that's going to be helpful in one way but harmful in another. As ridiculous as it sounds there really isn't that many options I realistically see can upgrade on Benteke outside of Calvert-Lewin and maybe Lorenzo Lucca. Everton are asking for €328 million for Calvert-Lewin and Lorenzo Lucca won't get a work permit xD . So for now we're relying on a 31 year old Benteke to do an important role.

That's what always becomes a problem for me in these kinds of saves. I want to keep the idea of the team alive while also making the team improved enough to challenge for the league title, but I don't want to compromise on what I was originally trying to do. 

Ideal scenario is I find youth players that long-term can improve over the current players I have while still keeping the original philosophy alive, and maybe improve some areas that need it urgently now (LCB, BBM, AMC being the main ones), all while making sure we don't regress in the league as a priority. I need to keep champions league football if I want to test how far this tactical style can actually go. If I drop out of the top 4 places then something's not right and needs to be fixed.

FA cup/league cup will get my attention if I manage to get deeper into them without too much focus, and the champions league depends on how bad of a group I get. I assume I'll get an awful one due to seeding.

I'll keep this updated if something interesting happens, and any changes I make to my strategy in the future. I'll definitely be doing more with the home version of the tactic because I'm not at all happy with it. 

Thanks for reading it all, and I'm glad you enjoyed. :)

7 hours ago, Gah Rii said:

Hi, there's no download link as I don't feel one is needed. All of the roles and instructions are specified within the post. I don't use any individual instructions on any roles. It's all left default.

i thought it was download section. you use am as home tactic? dm away

For the dlf  Silvère Ganvoula M'boussy is a must if not millions to spend and miles better than
15 hours ago, Gah Rii said:

Edited by cragswfc

8 hours ago, cragswfc said:

I use the DM tactic for away, and the AM as home. I've recently been trying the attacking midfielder on attack as a shadow striker instead. I'll see how it turns out over the course of a season before deciding if it's better.

• 3 weeks later...

So this tactic bangs. And might have just broken the ME. 

First season with Norwich. Match day 5. Done okay so far - away draws at Chelsea and Arsenal, with wins over  Brighton and West Ham. Facing City. Just hoping we don't get smashed. And somehow... we win. Big. BIG big. 8-0 big. 

Made a couple signings to the squad, but nothing too significant. Gianluca Scamacca was a deadline day panic buy when Fiorentina came in for Pukki and he wanted to go. Wasn't impressive in his first match and I started to worry I'd gotten rid of someone who could have been key for us. 

Been messing with this tactic in South America. Was looking at a save in Italy or Germany, but couldn't decide so figured I'd do a shorter save in England. Decide just to full on emulate Gah Rii and try Norwich for the first time. 

City waaa..JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fantastic post! I'm managing my beloved Chelsea and I am tired of using a 4-3-3 formation. A back three fits the current Chelsea squad and it's fun to have a formation that resembles Tuchel's idea. I will start a new save with this tactic as a core idea and see if I can get a solid defense that is a threat on the counter and at the same time is dominating at Stamford Bridge. 

I am really curious if the opening poster has continued with his project and if there are any updates on your save?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 07/10/2022 at 16:03, Raymond85 said:

@Gah Rii i am a big fan of your approach. Have you figured out some tweaks for when your team grows and teams start playing more defensive against you, leaving less space on counter?

snip.PNG.d59d29a5543f09fe32e1493b9fe6be87.PNG

I'm currently in 2041 in a save and managing Chelsea. Throughout the entire save I've been using variations of my original tactic. 

This is the one I've landed on for Chelsea that pretty much guarantees results for a top team if you build the team properly. It's not that different than what I was originally using, but the small tweaks I made definitely made a difference for me. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.998895c3aac6b405187150599b1cba5f.PNG

I've won everything there is to win at Chelsea. When I joined them in 2031 they were a mid-table team with multiple 33+ year old players so I was able to rebuild them as I liked which helped.

On 09/10/2022 at 21:05, gennamitico said:

@Gah Riiwow, happy to find this post!!! do you think this approach and these same team instructions could be use with other formations? example 4231 or 433 or 424

Yes, absolutely.

433 specifically works really well for it I've found because you can keep the same midfield 3 which gives a lot of solidity in the middle. 

4231's problem for me is that I don't like CAM as a role in FM when it's behind a lone striker, I don't like their interplay. If it's a CAM behind two strikers it works much better for me.

What I've been trying recently with my Chelsea team is this: 

Capture.PNG.85bae250b1f2eb3d3ee35fa6f3572f98.PNG

The IF ends up being the main goalscorer for me with this so far. I tried multiple roles for the CAM and so far AP-A works with the lone striker, but I'd need to test it with other teams first to be sure whether I truly like it or not because my Chelsea team is really stacked with talent so it's a bad example of what does/doesn't work since the league isn't as balanced as it should be in the year 2041.

442 is a good formation for this style of football too, it becomes really hard to break down.

15 ore fa, Gah Rii ha scritto:

Yes, absolutely.

433 specifically works really well for it I've found because you can keep the same midfield 3 which gives a lot of solidity in the middle. 

4231's problem for me is that I don't like CAM as a role in FM when it's behind a lone striker, I don't like their interplay. If it's a CAM behind two strikers it works much better for me.

What I've been trying recently with my Chelsea team is this: 

Capture.PNG.85bae250b1f2eb3d3ee35fa6f3572f98.PNG

The IF ends up being the main goalscorer for me with this so far. I tried multiple roles for the CAM and so far AP-A works with the lone striker, but I'd need to test it with other teams first to be sure whether I truly like it or not because my Chelsea team is really stacked with talent so it's a bad example of what does/doesn't work since the league isn't as balanced as it should be in the year 2041.

442 is a good formation for this style of football too, it becomes really hard to break down.

thank you very much!! i'm trying to implement this style within a 523 in a torino save!! i'll let you know if it works!! thank you again

On 15/10/2022 at 19:35, Gah Rii said:

I'm currently in 2041 in a save and managing Chelsea. Throughout the entire save I've been using variations of my original tactic. 

This is the one I've landed on for Chelsea that pretty much guarantees results for a top team if you build the team properly. It's not that different than what I was originally using, but the small tweaks I made definitely made a difference for me. 

Any Pi's ?

Il 15/10/2022 in 19:35 , Gah Rii ha scritto:

Capture.thumb.PNG.998895c3aac6b405187150599b1cba5f.PNG

I've won everything there is to win at Chelsea. When I joined them in 2031 they were a mid-table team with multiple 33+ year old players so I was able to rebuild them as I liked which helped.

That looks quite sensible, thanks for the update.

i have to say that this style is the one that gave me the most enjoyable football in FM22.

i’ve played around a lot with the deeper striker: starting with Udinese i used Deulofeu as a trequartista, also i have had some players work out as complete forward support.

when opposition doesn’t threat much on the counter i might switch my anchorman with a DLP defend, but only situational.

i love how simple yet effective this style is. Also situationally i change sone team instructions if i am behind, or soaking up pressure, and it’s amazing how well the team responds to what you see in game.

i will try something similar in FM23 i think, but maybe more vertical

• 3 weeks later...

I used this approach for the entirely of FM22. Tremendous work, Gah Rii. 

Curious if anyone has adopted it yet for FM23? I toyed around with it, added PIs for Mark Tigher, and ran a test sim with Atalanta. Finished 8th - not amazing lol