[FM22]The San Marino project/Building a Nation

Thomassje123

Hi everyone,  I am quite new on this forum. In short: My name is Thomas and I live in the Netherlands. My favorite club is FC Twente and I have been playing FM since CM 04. If my English is soms a little bit bad it is because of that

Folgore

22996162981f6df072f05fbc3b504ecf.png

But FC Twente is not the club I'm playing with in this edition of FM. I've always been a fan of the San Marino Challenge. In FM 14 I attempted this challenge and with a little bit of succes. I got to 2 euros and even a world cup. In al three editions I survived the group stage. This all happened between 2040 and 2050. After that the game died down because I didn't get good regens anymore so I had tot quit. I attempted it again in FM 20 with a special database but it didn't last long. 

I didn't like to play in the Serie A. For this edition I decided to play in San Marino. I got the Claasen database and I started in San Marino. I have chosen to manage the club Folgore. They were the champions last year so I got to the qualifying round of the Champions League so it would be a little bit easier because this challenge is already hard enough if you start in San Marino. There is no time to settle, in few days I already have to play in de qualifying round of the Champions League so let's move on quickly.

San Marino national team

f85f7b57b6e41d6cc1eeb17f6cdffbd9.png

I'll also play with the national team but the first seasons the focus wil be on Folgore

European games

042870732f032f213bbe7c0872caf00f.png

My very first game was against Prishtina from Kosovo. We played very well and won 2-0. Then we got HB from the Faroe Islands. We had no difficulties with them and won 5-1. After 37 minutes it was already 3-0. In the first Qualifying rounds was HJK from Finland too strong for us. We never had a chance really in both games. In the Conference League we lost against Mura from Slovenia. We were close to  a stunt. After a 1-3 home defeat we got ahead from a corner in the second leg. Unfortunately we did not manage to make a second goal so the European run is now over. First we have a super cup and then the competition wil start. The goal: Ofcourse become the champions!

*I play FM in Dutch. For this thread I made screenshots in English but it can happen that you occasionally see a screen in Dutch by accident

Competition

End table

4d9f329aaaa675bd9486d6bdac26aef7.png

We managed to end up on top of the table at the end of the season. Everything was easier than I expected. After 16 games we won all of our games. Towards the end of the season everything went a little bit laborious and we even lost 2 games. That is a bit concerning heading towards the play-offs. In the play-offs we play agains Domagnano that finished 11th. 

Cup run

13713301b95b60609b06055f435ea268.png

In the cup there are 15 teams. The winner of last season gets a bye in the first round and after that it is already the quarter final. We had no problems heading towards the cup final. Juvenes Dogana, Domagnano and even Tre Penne. They were no threat to me and we got to the final easily. In the final we battered Virtus but we didn't score our chances. We payed the prize for that because after the penalty shoot out Virtus wins the trophy while they really did not deserve it.

Super Cup

100919994e1ce2c2125537c0ee7343f4.png

At the beginning of the season we played against La Fiorita for the Super Cup. Is was the same story as against Virtus. We created a lot of chances but forgot to score them. Also the Super Cup we didn't win where we should have. Such a shame. Hopefully we can learn from this so that it won't happen again.

Youth intake

89fa86e89e62b105bc14fba81d8f7aba.png

I apologize because this screen is in Dutch but the Youth intake was not good. Actually is was really bad. It looks decent but in a few years we need more quality than this

Next update

In the next update you will see if we managed to win the league. We lost the cup final so it is a MUST win in the play-offs otherwise we won't get European football wich we need to create us some money.

EDIT

As I am making this update I am noticing a mistake. In the screen above you can already see who became the champion. Well, no need to wait right?

Play-offs

12bbcc1a56cc8093d9a56c0cb86a3f88.png

First we played against Domagnano. They were no treat as we win 0-4 away. Against Murata is was more difficult. A away draw put us in a kind of a iffy situation. At home we won 4-1 but is was really not as easy as it seemes. Murata created a lot of chances and it was a open game, something I do not want. We scored 4 goals so we got trough. In the final I was nervous. It was do or die in this game. We played very good and won 4-0. Nothing to be afraid of. We won the title so we go to the Champions League. Well, the preliminary rounds but you know what I mean

End of season

Finances and European rankings

f6fe6f9dbb37f485b460ea6cae9d7ce9.png

859a1c4b5460012b5605bc16c22665a9.png

It is starting to look good. We have €1,1 million in our balance and we ware financially really stable and there is a little bit of place to improve our facilities. Hopefully we can get far in Europe in season 2.

Season 2 super cup

a835f2983c47bf4699ecfe404f3755fa.png

Payback time! Last season we lost against Virtus in the final of the cup last year. Because of that we play them in the super cup this season. De game started off really good but the goal from Fedeli was disallowed. 26 minuten later he scores again and the goal counts, 0-1. We had the initiative the whole game as you can see in the xG. We only forgot to score. Does that sound familiar? Luckily it didn't cost us so we won. Even a missed penalty did not cost us. 

New Stadium?

f24fff5a531ac5aa1f0316f89abac7c0.png

European qualifying rounds

4853a203e28cee01a32bbe6a9c4e89cc.png

We started the journey this year against KR from Island. We went ahead two times but we bottled it. We lost 3-2 but it was a justifiably result. So we fell down towards the Conference League. In the second qualifying round we got a game in Ireland. Waterford was the opponent. In the away game we played good and scored once. In the 82th minute we scored the 0-2 but 0-2 was a little bit flattered. In the home game we didn't had any trouble and the score stayed 0-0. Then we drew KR again and it was time for revanche. Unfortunately they werd simply better then us and they won 2 times again. The European journey ends here already. Hopefully next year better

Competition

f85e5e0ae3fe75cf17d2f35d9a274be6.png

Our season was okay but I was not really happy. We ended on the first place but we lost to many points along the way.

Play-offs

1fa6d76d64858f80f6057b6a524e1676.png

The play-offs started against La Fiorita who we played in the final last season. La Fiorita is not that good this season and it showed here in the play-offs. We had no problem whatsoever with them, 2-4 and 1-0. Against Virtus we had more trouble. Away we drew 0-0 in a game that was not good from both sides. No problem, just make it up in the home game right? We played not bad but we didn't create a lot of chances. It was the worst time to have a offday. Nothing helped, we just coudn't score. Virtus scored from a corner and they won. No champions this year, it was devastating. We got third place but it didn't matter, there were only 2 European spots. Tre penne won the League this year. It showes how dangerous the play-offs can be.

Cup

e4789ce9a2d1067e1dfceaaca0f48e58.png\

The road to the final started aginst Juvenes Dogana. We had no trouble with them. Against La Fiorita we won 1-3 away but we made it unnecessary hard for ourself because we gave La Fiorita a chance to come back. Luckily we hung on en it stayed 0-1 but it showes that we have to be on the top of our game. Fiorentino was no problem, we won easily.

Final

0cd2abe8829cc87b32546cec6d82677a.png

In the final we drew Domagnano. Tre Penne was eliminted before. We had to win this game to get into Europe. We played good, gave away some chances but we were 0-2 up after 35 minutes. We didn't gave our head start away and we hadn't any trouble the rest of the match. We won the trophy wich makes up a little bit for losing the League title.

Breaking: Folgore announces new stadium!

99ca9cd45ffce08f5d664fb7eadf4d5a.png

The details are here! At the ending of season 1 the board said they had plans to build a new stadium. Our current stadium has a attendence of 370 wich was actually pathetic. The new stadium has a attendence of 5.175 wich is a lot better. In the competition we won't get it full but it is a great step into the future. Hopefully in the next like 10 years we can expand the stadium for our European matches. The cost is also not that high. We can pay it on our own without a loan wich is perfect. We get €1,2 from the authorities and 75K of a sponsor. With all it will only cost €1,5 million. That money we can earn back easily by qualifying for the group stage in Europe somewhere the next few years

Conference League

First 3 matches

459eeaf691ba97a62b45a2e7a7fe2af0.png

Sorry for the Dutch screen. We started in the first qualifying round for the Conference League. Our first opponent was Ballkani from Kosovo. In our first season we also beat FC Prishtina and we had no trouble with Ballkani whatsoever. In our home game we won 7-1 en also on the away ground we didn't had to break a sweat during the game. In the second round we went against Olimpija from Slovenia. Olimpija was better than us, we didn't create much in this game. We also did not concede so the end result was 0-0.

Away game

0a7fb76a5b99aaea3388157c03b63b5d.png

In the away game we played a hella lot better but the defence was not on point today. It killed us because after playing for a hour we were 3-0 down. The result is really bad but we can be happy about how we performed. We take the money and try to improve this season

Improving junior budget

a5e167953851cb56b98aadab6605e413.png

Speaking about improving...

Super cup

7f6bbe6707e9dba0ad4b20a5ee95e297.png

In the Super Cup we played Tre Penne. We started very good and got the first goal wich was justifiably. In the extra time of the first half we concede a goal en we were tied again. The second half starts and Spighi gets a direct red card for a disgrace tackle. The game flipped since then. Tre Penne scored and went ahead and we coudn't keep up with 1 man down unfortunately. We lost. Now the Super Cup is nog that important but it sucks either way. Not the best start to the season

San Marino Cup

The road to the final

d5ac1161a82c8f2a304e0e952906325e.png

We started in the quarter final of de cup. The first result was dissapointing. We drew 0-0 at home against Murata wich is by far not good enough. In the away game we also struggled but we won 0-1. The semi final was a lot better. We started with a 2-0 win against Juvenes Dogana. Juvenes Dogana is a very decent team this season and they win a lot of games and concede very little goals. This result was very good. The away game was a bit tougher. We scored from a corner but before half time Juvenes Dogana equalized. Spighi got a red card in the 50th minute. Luckily it didn't brought us in trouble so we got to the final. But it was very laborious.

Final

320d0c3dd9ee14974a9e5d3a9b2574cc.png

Ofcourse we play Tre Penne in the final. Tre Penne also has a good season so it definately won't be easy. We were better but also Tre Penne was dangerous. The score was 0-0 for a long time and I got a little bit nervous. Luckily after playing for an hour we finally scored a goal and went 0-1 up. It changed the game. Tre Penne had to take more risk and so there was a lot of space for us too to become dangerous. In the 66th minute we scored 0-2 and we secured the cup win this year

Competition

End Table

fdc773a167259609834221ca7532e00c.png

It was a very tough season. We weren't at our best this year. We drew a lot. Juvenes Dogana and Tre Penne really gave us a run for our money. Both teams played very good. In the fist season half we lost a lot of points but in the second season half we started winning every game including the games against Tre Penne and Juvenes Dogana. We had to work very hard to get first place this season.

Quarter and semi finals

7e144e372606228f14ba8148d5a2f13d.png

We were in form and we needed to bring that to the play-offs. Long story short; we did. Our defence was top level and we only conceded one goal in the quarter and semi final. We had no trouble with San Giovanni. Even our angstgegner/feared opponent Virtus gave us no trouble.

Final

fefea57e99a15e342eb0adca5109159f.png

In the final we are playing - ofcource - Tre Penne. In this game there happened a lot that it didn't even fit in one screen. Our second season half was masterly and we also showed it in this final. After playing for 20 minutes we were already 0-2 up. Tre Penne got back in the game but before half time we made the difference 2 goals again. In the second half we walked away from our opponent. 1-5 after 70 minutes of football. To make matters worse for Tre Penne they also got a red card. After that red card we didn't score anymore but is wasn't nessecary. We got a clear win against them and showed who is the best team.

Double!

7fcb736b85d50db46bfc5154864a7722.png

Season 4: Champions League preliminary rounds

Game 1: Folgore - FC Santa Coloma

86a72fa52d458e180ed3f93c1d5f1734.png

Finally we are back where we belong, in the Champions League... Well the qualification rounds ofcourse. We started first in the preliminary rounds. Our first opponent was FC Santa Coloma from Andorra. A league below us in the rankings. It sure was that way. We really whooped their asses. 6-0 we won. Or as we call it in Dutch: 2 vingers in de neus.

Game 2: Folgore - Buducnost

a3bce0e01ffdb8081828188f419a5e75.png

Next game was against Buducnost from Montenegro. They also won their first match easily. You don't see it back in the score but we actually played pretty good. Unfortunately we were very unlucky. And I know, it is a very easy thing to say. But we were unlucky, well I as a manager. Take a good look at the xG. Buducnost went 1-0 ahead from a set piece, yes always the set pieces. In the second half, one counter and boom 0-2 and so our destiny was sealed, and it was not in the Champions League. We deserved the win tho

Conference League

Second qualifying round

30c005a28215d6e39f4adef2c89e3f7f.png

So it is the Conference League again. We got a small team again because we played against Lincoln from Gibraltar. It was the same match as against Santa Coloma, we won very easily. In the away game we doze off a little bit but it didn't matter because we already did the job on our own ground

Third qualifying round

b2209b878e0a4202702db9d93a394db0.png

In the third round we got Olimpija from Slovenia. Does it ring a bell? We also played them last year and they were simply better than us. How are we competing this year against them? We actually played very damn good! But we went 0-1 down..... In the game we tried to flip the game and we did it very good. We created a lot of chances. But the thing is, you have to score them. Vrioni got 2 clear cut chances and only scored 1. We had to score more but we couldn't. So we drew 1-1 wich was a bit dissapointing if you look at the match

20fee4c5eb6dcc847d3a633d908c6e6a.png

We played a lot better than last year so it is really good to see the progression. Did it got us somewhere? Also in Slovenia we played quite good. Unfortunately we gave away a penalty and we were 1-0 behind. We got back in the game quickly and we levelled the score. That's a good thing because otherwise it would become very difficult. What happenend next was a game with 2 sides that created chances, it could go either way. Within 90 minutes the score stayed 1-1. In extra time we were also evenly matched and it looked like we were going to take penalties. But unfortunately they scored in the 120+1th minute and it was devestating. So our European journey had come to an end again

@Jono Cpfc Thanks, appreciate it

Season 4: The competition

Table

3e4bdefbc547cdec958d7c02961981b8.png

We had a great season and we dominated. Only 2 draws and no losses. It seems like we are now definitely on top of everyone. We scored a lot of goals and conceded very little, only 7 goals. But the playoffs are the playoffs and you never know

Quarter and semi final

652ec40fe6bb20dac8cfa1db995a2fdf.png

We had some favorable draws in the playoffs. No Tre Penne and no Juvenes Dogana. Juvenes Dogana had a horrible season and ended on the 13th place. We had no trouble with Fiorentino and even our feared opponent Virtus was no problem. We blew them away, this was our revanche for earlier games. 

Final

936b02021006b8854e5a870fce6fcffb.png

Ofcourse the final is against Tre Penne, who else right? Our start was magnificent. 0-2 up after 11 minutes, bam! After we went 0-2 up we controlled the game fully. We didn't create much but we gave nothing away. The end result is that we won very easy. So we are champions again and we go to the Champions League again

Super cup

e06219a093161e3304dd5548aa68fb3d.png

In the beginning of the season we played also against Tre Penne for the Super Cup. It was like the same game, a good first half and 3-0 up. Tre Penne created some chances but we didn't concede

Cup

Road to the final

b095d4441bdea2dd391df7192286bac6.png

The road to the final was easy. Caulungo and Faetano were no trouble for us.

Final

ba159799559c276c430409e75ddd0af9.png

In the final no Tre Penne this time. We played against Virtus. Virtus is no threat for us anymore. The final was a very attractive game with two teams that wanted to attack. The audience was the big winner. There were a lot of goals scored. We played very good and created a lot of chances. After half and hour we were 3-0 up. Virtus scored 3-1 but we had no reason to worry. In half time it was even 5-1 and the game was already over. Virtus tried their best, I have to give that to them but ofcourse it was not enough. They scored another time tho. In the end the scoreboards says 7-2. If you look het the xG, we blew them away.

Treble and unbeaten

6b11fc6be2c3158dd25a4a420a24326c.png

That means we got the treble this season. Not only that, we were unbeaten in al national games including the cup games and the Super Cup. A great performence this year.

Key players

Spoiler

14b0dd4f38dabe67119fa7dcad5f348d.png

eff055e9c8a6d1c934c204c9a234e4d1.png

76f5045ff42d9b4a829e357f0135c0d8.png

6f00b187c21967cc6d9f5b84083d6cfe.png

d14198c89176f88861ce5e6c4d685b97.png

Coefficients

fc343ce2ffe3c7c6b8075451689b357e.png

35864e7c1d46720db60a91ed628de732.png

b6b847463215e63b57e536b8917852ae.png

National team

First win in 2021

6253d3d3822b7f0217bb25cd20784386.png

Next to Folgore I also play with the national team. It didn't take me long to get the first win however it was very lucky. We were losing and then al of a sudden 3 goals in the last minutes. A crazy ending to the match and my first win already so soon. But I can give away that this is NOT something to get used to

Friendly win against Liechtenstein in 2022

0ce9e466773d6f49b482e353f1fdbc5e.png

Also in 2022 we won a match. In Olimpico we won against Liechtenstein. A good game. In half time the score was 3-1. In the second half everything became a little bit more difficult but we survived.

Nations League 2022

9dc100acfbf43568af0637925bf196bb.png

Good news on the first 2 screens. All fun and games aside, in the Nations League we lost and we lost quite hard. The is lots of work to do in the next years

2022 World Championship qualifyers

bcda30e1993a2342afd275b6cc7081b7.png

We won against Andorra as you can see on the first screen. We got the 5th place instead of 6th place and that is all I can ask for.

2024 Euros qualifyers

06b799f88694ff0540d126af08de0035.png

Tough group and I didn't play any of these matches myself (I went on holiday). Is was extremely hard and it was just a wast of time basically. We are nowhere near where we need to be to get some points in groups like this. Time to move on!

Next update:

In the next update you'll see how we did in the Nations League in 2024. We play against Liechtenstein and Malta

@dsousa96 That's very true as you can see above. That's also why I did the whole season in 1 update

Edited by Thomassje123