How can I choose teams from a specific league position?

lafaliniers

Hi fellas ! First at all congrats to all of you, this forum is amazing!

I'm new here and new to the FM Editor aswell! :lol: 

So please, I would like to ask you if you could help me with something regarding a thing I was trying to do in the FM Editor!

I was trying to edit the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana format so we can have 32 teams in each of those competitions, starting directly from the group stages without having a preliminary round, and trying to distribute those qualification spots as evenly as possible between all 10 CONMEBOL associations.

something like this:

Copa Libertadores:

• 32 places, distributed as following:
    • Bolivia, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela: top 3 teams from the domestic league
    • Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Argentina: top 2 teams from the domestic league + national cup champions
    • Current Copa Libertadores Champions
    • Current Copa Sudamericana Champions

Copa Sudamericana:

• 32 places, distributed as following:
    • Bolivia, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela: teams ranked 4th, 5th and 6th in their domestic leagues 
    • Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay: teams ranked 3rd, 4th and 5th in their domestic leagues
    • Brazil, Argentina: teams ranked 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in their domestic leagues 

Both competitions starting directly from the group stages, without preliminary rounds

With a HUGE help from @joaquin87 we reached a point in where we could delete the preliminary rounds, make the tournament start from the group stage and also get the number of teams from each country in the Copa Sudamericana.

But the problem is that in the Copa Sudamericana, despite the number of teams per country is good (i.e. Brazil and Argentina have 4 teams each, every other country has 3 teams each), the teams are not the ones ranked in those league positions mentioned before; the game takes the better teams from each country. So for example, the 4 Brazilian Copa Sudamericana spots go to the top 4 teams in the Brazilian Championship instead of going to the teams ranked 3rd to 6th.

Also in the Copa Libertadores, it ends up having a bunch of teams from every country instead of having that distribution mentioned before

Please, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong and how can I fix it??

I just attached some pictures and the .fmf file in case somebody wants to have a look :D

Thanks a lot!

libertadores 1.png

libertadores 2.png

libertadores 3.png

sudamericana 1.png

sudamericana 2.png

sudamericana 3.png

006 copas.fmf

Why not just set up the competition using the standard qualifying system?

eg. this
20211217170013_1.thumb.jpg.d5b0839a54153e00419f6fe684477fc9.jpg20211217170333_1.thumb.jpg.166e8bbf67c185b3c8b2d9801f4f26de.jpg

Just set up the qualification and seedings there and then in your tournament you only need "Get Qualified Teams for Comp".

Although if you really want to do it your way then putting "Get Qualified Teams for Comp = Copa Libertadores" with the "Ignore Teams" setting on at the top of the Sudamericana qualifiers might work. You should probably also change the Libertadores ones to "Get Best Teams" rather than "get Qualified Teams" unless you're adding a file for each individual league to set up their qualifiers. Also tick the "Clear current list of qualified teams" box. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that would remove all of the real life qualified teams.

Edited by rusty217