[Suggestion] 'Suicidal' language

lamp

I'm not sure if this is still in FM22 but I've encountered it in all previous versions of the game. I don't mean to police how anyone wants to use language in their personal daily use but as someone who has been around suicide it's incredibly jarring to see it pop up in the game. It would be a really, really small change for the assistant manager to say something other than "It would be suicidal not to [do some tactical thing]". It's especially jarring to see it used so casually and unnecessarily, when it is a heavy topic and I suspect scarring for a lot of people. Again, it's one thing to broach the topic itself, another to see it used so lightly it becomes a figure of speech. And when it comes to sport, I think it would be good to avoid metaphors for violence, war, self-harm, mental illness (similarly, avoid "it would be crazy") and so on.

An easy change: "It would be folly"

Edited by lamp

• SI Staff

Hey @lamp do you have some screenshots in game of where it is being used? This is something that wouldn't necessarily be required as a feature request to get changed so I'd like to see where its happening and then can raise it internally for further discussion. 

On 05/12/2021 at 18:25, Michael Sant said:

Hey @lamp do you have some screenshots in game of where it is being used? This is something that wouldn't necessarily be required as a feature request to get changed so I'd like to see where its happening and then can raise it internally for further discussion. 

Ah, a screenshot might be tough because I can't force it to come up, but it's one of the Assistant Manager suggestions during games. In the same place where it will have advice like "Tell X to mark Y". Does that help?

A quick Google turned up a random site and this isn't a screenshot but it appears to be a collection of sample FM text from all the way back in 2009. I'll save the link and just copy paste the prompt:

<% male # 1> has already proven his crossing ability, it would be suicidal not to close him down.

Here's a screen I pulled from Reddit from FM21 that doesn't have the same wording, but I think it's another equivalent message that is randomly rotated. It's in "The Dugout".

8wo8f1gfdzy51.jpg?width=1919&format=pjpg

Edited by lamp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Thanks for flagging, it's something which may have already been reviewed by our string writing team, but I've raised it with them just to clarify. Appreciate you posting this here - it's under review by our team.