Youth development

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this pretty new on here. 

So Im playing as Ajax and Im not making a load of signings. Trying to sign players that will go into Jong Ajax or u18s for a few months before being called up to the first team because of an injury or sale. Policy has left me somewhat short staffed at CB with Martinez & Blind sold leaving me with Schuurs, Gabriel Noga (signed) & Aertessen. (Alvarez, Timber & Rensch all primarily playing elsewhere)

Its all going very well so far but I've had my youth in take and the gem of this class is this guy below. As you can see at 15 he is already for the most part better than my 2nd choice CB. I know youre not really supposed to throw players that young straight into the first team as it can stifle their development. How do you normally handle this situation?

20211128235745_1.jpg

20211128235540_1.jpg

1 hour ago, coolguyrko said:

I know youre not really supposed to throw players that young straight into the first team as it can stifle their development.

I'm not sure that's even true, and is probably more of a football manager myth. As long as a player is 2 stars or higher, they're fine to play in the first team for me. If they're 15 or 16, they seem to do fine and develop like crazy. Frankly, if they're 2 stars, they aren't going to learn anything in the youth squad, and the only other option is to put them in play with older players, whether its on loan, in the reserves, or in the first team.

The only somewhat troublesome aspect is they find it harder to adapt socially. For that, it does help to have some other young players in the squad, until they are integrated into the primary group.. which does happen eventually. Mentoring groups seem to facilitate the integration a bit.

5 hours ago, Prepper_Jack said:

I'm not sure that's even true, and is probably more of a football manager myth. As long as a player is 2 stars or higher, they're fine to play in the first team for me. If they're 15 or 16, they seem to do fine and develop like crazy. Frankly, if they're 2 stars, they aren't going to learn anything in the youth squad, and the only other option is to put them in play with older players, whether its on loan, in the reserves, or in the first team.

The only somewhat troublesome aspect is they find it harder to adapt socially. For that, it does help to have some other young players in the squad, until they are integrated into the primary group.. which does happen eventually. Mentoring groups seem to facilitate the integration a bit.

Agree mostly with this. Players should play at their appropriate level, regardless of age. Players under 18 do still need time to train so don't play them too much or they will be too tired to train