Best role for AMC In 4231?

I think the AMC is the hardest role in FM to use effectively as, for me at least, it depends on how the opponents play against you. 

If you’re favourites for most games and teams defend deep against you it’s likely your AMC might not have much room when you’re in possession. 

39 minutes ago, Matt_1979 said:

I think the AMC is the hardest role in FM to use effectively as, for me at least, it depends on how the opponents play against you. 

If you’re favourites for most games and teams defend deep against you it’s likely your AMC might not have much room when you’re in possession. 

Thats true and its very hard to get over it. There is always a possiblity to free up some space for the central players tho. First of all its important to not congest the central area even more with your own players. So you need to be very careful with wide players cutting inside and central more defensive players moving up the pitch. Its also to be thought about the interaction with the striker(s). Do you either want your AM to operate behind the others team defensivle line or in front of it. So after setting up the surrounding players, its helpful to look at your AM himself and figure out what you are looking for. If the central area is well protected, you either need him to move into channels if you are looking for a player thats operating behind the defensive line (attack duty) or to roam from position you are looking more for a link up / creative player in front of the defensive line. There is no guarantee du success when there are 2x DM's protecting the central area, but movement is key as it either creates space for that particular (support duty) player or for his teammates to move in. 

The Striker should be a support duty to free up space behind the defensive line if you are looking to exploit that space with your AM. 

The Striker should be stretching play with an attack duty if you are looking to exploit the space in front of the defensive line with your AM.

How this will be reflected in the AM's rating, im not sure tbh ;-)

Edited by CARRERA

What's fun to me is using them as an advanced playmaker to start... then when I see them starting to be hard pressed, as it's obvious the opposition has them listed for that in their opposition instructions, I'll change them to a shadow striker. They'll run into the box with a flick on from somewhere, then their defense will dutifully go in hard on them as per instructions, and give them a penalty or two before they ease up. Then they go back to playmaker.. for a while. A little cheesy, but fun to troll the AI at times.

In my current tactic I just use them as a SS, and it generally works fine with M(C)s as the creators.

I did try a 4-2-3-1 narrow earlier with 3 AM(At)s, in a very narrow attack formation on high tempo, and the number of goals was kind of obscene against evenly matched opponents. Most goals were from fairly deep, as they used tiny sidesteps and short flicks to exploit tiny openings. Keeper never saw it coming. Think I have a saved match somewhere of one where it was 7-1, but don't know how to find it to replay in game, or translate the goals into some viewable gif or whatever. Wasn't even the best of the matches, as all 3 would frequently get 3+ goals a match. Most bonkers one was something like 14-6, where they just totally forgot about defense in their frenzied attack on goal.

• 1 month later...