FM22: The Dutch Football League

JahRastafari

No FM 22 threads yet on Dutch clubs or Dutch football leagues, so here we go with a short introduction on why this could be your next fun save. 

The Dutch football league system in Football Manager consists of two playable professional leagues: Eredivisie and Eerste Divisie. In real life another eight levels of amateur football leagues complete the Dutch football pyramid. 

Eredivisie.nl | Eredivisie onthult logo in aanloop naar…

The Eredivisie league was founded in 1956, two years after the start of professional football in the Netherlands. The origin of the Eredivisie goes way back in time. The forerunner of the Eredivisie was the 'kampioenscompetitie'. There has been unofficial competition for the Dutch championship since 1888. The Eredivisie is considered as one of the best European leagues outside the major 5. All around the world, the Netherlands is known for their training programs and youth development of international top players as well as coaches. The success of Dutch football clubs is directly related to their player development and the opportunity they're able to give young talents to better themselves and make a name for them selves on a bigger stage. Thanks to the focus and devotion to youth talent, many Dutch players throughout history have been able to play at the top of the international stage. 

These players include but are not limited to Johan Cruijff, Johan Neeskens, Willem van Hanegem, Ruud Gullit, Marco van Basten, Frank Rijkaard, Ronald Koeman, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Kluivert, Edgar Davids, Philip Cocu, Frank de Boer, Jaap Stam, Edwin van der Sar, Clarence Seedorf, Mark van Bommel, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben, Rafael van der Vaart, Dirk Kuijt, Robin van Persie, Frenkie de Jong, Donny van de Beek, Memphis Depay, Hakim Ziyech, and Matthijs de Ligt. As mentioned before there have also been many successful coaches to come out of the Eredivisie, like, Rinus Michels, Johan Cruijff, Louis van Gaal, Frank Rijkaard, Guus Hiddink and Bert van Marwijk.

Dutch internationals are not the only players to come out of the Eredivisie and realize their potential on the world's biggest stages. Players like Romario, Ronaldo, Nwanko Kanu, Jon Dahl Tomasson, Henrik Larsson, Jari Litmanen, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Maxwell, Alex, Luis Suarez, Christian Eriksen and Arek Milik where all attracted to the Eredivisie, and used the League as a stepping stone to become the players they ended up being.

As of the 2020–21 season, the Eredivise is ranked the 7th best league in Europe by UEFA. One exciting goal on many Dutch minds is the prospect of reaching the top 6 football associations coefficient spot. That would offer a second fixed slot to the Champions League and one additional slot to the qualification rounds. Not such an unrealistic dream, since the European disaster year of 2017/2018 will disappear after next season, making the Netherlands a contender for becoming sixth in the ranking for the distribution of tickets in the 2023/2024 season. Just two seasons away in the game!  

Keuken Kampioen Divisie.png

The Eerste Divisie (Keuken Kampioen Divisie) offers more flavour to the long-term save enthusiasts who aim to challenge the traditional top teams in the Netherlands. Four of these teams even have their youth reserve teams playing in the league offering valuable game time and an edge to their youth development strategies: Jong Ajax, Jong AZ, Jong PSV, Jong Utrecht. In real life, Feyenoord is working on promoting its reserves to the league which unfortunately can't be done with the current FM22 playable league set-up. Perhaps an editor file will open up the Dutch football pyramid and promotion-relegation to the Eerste Divisie unlocking long-journey save possibilities? For now, you could make major clubs recently relegated such as ADO Den Haag, FC Emmen, NAC Breda or Roda JC challenge for the Eredivisie championship from the Eerste Divisie.

On top of that, The Netherlands holds former Europa Cup 1 / Champions League winners in the likes of Ajax Amsterdam, Feyenoord Rotterdam, and PSV Eindhoven. Can you make international silverware return to the Netherlands? 

When Christmas holiday arrives, I am starting my save with Ajax to aim for that 5th CL title with talents and former players nurtured through the youth academy. But for now, I am eager to see how the rest of you are doing with your Dutch league saves! 

Edited by JahRastafari

• JahRastafari changed the title to FM22: The Dutch Football League

I liked playing with AZ to see if you could disrupt the top three. Losing Koopmeiners, Stengs and Boadu makes that much tougher in this save. Still, they always have loads of young players to bring through, so it's still very much a possibility. 

13 hours ago, KailTheMagic said:

This year Ajax have tons of offensive talents. Just to name few:

Van Axel Dongen

Sontje Hansen

Kudus 

Fitz-Kim

Decent league, nice for talent development

none of them managed to do anything in my ajax save. Kudus played for a season and after was demoted to the bench before being sold in the 3rd season. Others had 0 senior apearances in 4 seasons for my team.

Ajax is very rich club with budgets around 70-80 mil and can go up if you sell players too, so you can afford much better players than those.

Edited by luka_zg

8 hours ago, luka_zg said:

none of them managed to do anything in my ajax save. Kudus played for a season and after was demoted to the bench before being sold in the 3rd season. Others had 0 senior apearances in 4 seasons for my team.

Ajax is very rich club with budgets around 70-80 mil and can go up if you sell players too, so you can afford much better players than those.

Which Ajax talents made it to your first squad? Any success with Unuvar, Misehouy, Aertssen, Kalokoh, Vos, Muzambo, Boerhout, and/or Setford?

22 hours ago, dothestrand said:

I liked playing with AZ to see if you could disrupt the top three. Losing Koopmeiners, Stengs and Boadu makes that much tougher in this save. Still, they always have loads of young players to bring through, so it's still very much a possibility. 

Did you win some trophies with AZ upsetting the top three along the way? Louis van Gaal accomplished something special in the 2008-2009 season. Cool to replicate that success! 

19 hours ago, JahRastafari said:

Which Ajax talents made it to your first squad? Any success with Unuvar, Misehouy, Aertssen, Kalokoh, Vos, Muzambo, Boerhout, and/or Setford?

I quit the save in the 4th season , Vos,Aertssen and Misehouy were part of my first team squad but really only in the end of the picking order. Like 3rd or 4th options for their positions.

My take on Slots Feyenoord:

Some notes:

- Pedersen has 'cut inside' ppm, have to remove that in training.

- Aursnes is your only midfielder who can mark and tackle. Need a backup or you have to play a 7 tackling mf or Lennart Hartjes who is just a talent at the start

- Lots of talent at Feyenoord in pretty much every position. In my non-Feyenoord save Milambo was in the top 50 of talents they show each year

The tactic:

DISCLAIMER: this is based of a succesfull 41221 tactic I used, I am not far in the season yet (5 conference games 1 league game, won 5, drew 1 CL game. ) This tactic might fail hard but I think it's closest to how we play irl.

- Irl Feyenoord don't play more narrow and don't really focus on short passing. Though in this tactic players will still play longer, direct passes over the top.

- Player instructions:

1 Malacia irl plays more narrow so Sini has more space on the left. I gave him 'more narrow' pi.

2 On the right you have the opposite, Jahanbakhsh more narrow, Pedersen stay wider. If using the Toornstra variant I'd put Toornstra in the AMRC spots as an AMC support, he doesn't fit any of the AMR roles. 

3 Toornstra and Senesi have play more direct pi.

4 Dessers doesn't score every 92nd minute

arno-slet-ball.png

Edited by kazm