Bracconiere - a Football Manager 2022 Tactic

Bracconiere – a Football Manager 2022 Tactic

It has been a couple of weeks now that we’ve been able to enjoy the latest edition of our football gaming addiction. Football Manager 2022 looks sure to keep the juices flowing long into these cold winter months.

For the last few days, I have been tweaking and trialing my first tactical release for FM22, and I am now happy with the result so today sees the release of Bracconiere.

With the primary focal point of the tactic being based around the Poacher leading the line. The origins of the base came from my time with Pescara in FM21 it made sense to go with the Italian alternative for the word Poacher, and so Bracconiere was born.

I have had excellent success with the tactic so far. I chose to begin with Notts County in the Vanarama National League, predicted to finish second in the first season. We walked the league with ease and then following it up with another excellent Title win the following season in League Two.

Bracconiere – Playing Style

The basis for any of my tactics seem to revolve around a shorter passing game and the same applies here. We will be operating an attacking pass and move style of play. We will be taking a high-risk approach by proactively looking to penetrate the half-space areas when in possession to force overload chances on the opposition.

When we are out of possession will be counter-pressing to win possession back as quickly as possible, to try and force the opposition into making mistakes so we can win the ball back and hit them on the counter.

The key attributes for this tactic are First TouchPassingTechniqueAnticipationComposure and Decisions.

This tactic will require a team with reasonably good footballing IQ, so it is essential to find players who perform well in the above DNA attributes.

In Possession
We will be playing with a Shorter Passing style which will complement our pass and move style we are looking to go with. We will be looking to play the ball out of defence so we will be building from the back. I want to have an emphasis on controlled attempts at goal so we will be looking to work the ball into the box, aiming for more precise attempts on goal rather than pot-shots from range. We are going with an Extremely High Tempo and playing with a Fairly Narrow style to try and exploit the half-space arears.

In Transition
Our goalkeeper will be instructed to Take Short Kicks to utilize the build-up play from our defence. He will distribute the ball to our Centre-backs and in main the Ball-Playing Defender. When possession is lost, we will look to press immediately with the aim of regaining possession, before hitting the opposition on the counter- attack.

Out Of Possession

We will be playing with a Higher Defensive Line to press higher up the pitch, to complement this we will be going for a Much Higher Line Of Engagement and trigger pressing Much More Often. We will also be using the Offside Trap.

• bracconiere fm22 tactic

Bracconiere Positions & Roles

Full Back (Attack x2)
With attacking duties on the flanks will look to overlap the midfield and supply crosses into the box. With the more advanced wide men venturing inside to the half-space areas freeing up space in the wide areas to be able to cross towards the far post. Which often brings the guy in the opposite flank position into a scoring opportunity.

Central Defender (Defend)
The more defensive-minded player of the back four-unit. He is instructed to play simple passes only and do so with little to no risk. The KISS method is the perfect way to explain this position. He is also instructed to Stay Wider which will cover the wider arears when the full-back has advanced.

Ball-Playing Defender (Defend)
Expected to have a little more talent with the ball at feet. His main aim is to defend as part of the back four-unit but will push ahead of the defensive line to put pressure on the opposition threat before they get within shooting range. If they make it past this man, then the idea is to have the Central Defender getting that final tackle in. This position is encouraged to focus less on dribbling but more on playing through balls to the Advanced Playmaker in the middle of the park to initiate attacking moves.

Defensive Midfielder (Support)
The Defensive Midfielder is there to protect the defensive line from breaking attackers by closing them down restricting the space in which they can operate. They are also there to assist the creative midfielders when in possession and is the perfect link between the Ball-Playing Defender and Advanced Playmaker within the unit. The Defensive Midfield will look to step forward into the midfield line and support attacking moves when in possession.

Advanced Playmaker (Support)
The idea behind the Advanced Playmaker is to work alongside the Defensive Midfielder. To drop into the holes between midfield & defence and turn defence into attack in an instant which compliments our counter-press/countering style of play and can quickly recycle defence into attack. With him on a Support duty he will sit in the hole in midfield and spray passes towards the wide Trequartista and the overlapping Full-backs to create overload opportunities.

Inverted Winger (Support)
The Inverted Winger will cut diagonally also across the defence and play through the middle to overload the opposition defence. He will create space for the overlapping right full-back but also provide an additional attacking threat through potentially creating chances to shoot himself. Or by playing in a more advanced attacking threat on goal. He is instructed to Sit Narrower and Cross from Deep and will be very much one of the main players within your team to contribute towards results.

Trequartista (Attack)
The Trequartista will drop into the holes between the opposition midfield and defence and will drift around looking for space when the team is not in possession. Whilst he will not offer much from a defensive standpoint. He is a very potent weapon in a counter-attacking system and will be the source of plenty of goals for your team.

Shadow Striker (Attack)
Designed to be one of our chief goalscoring threats within the system. He is part of the three-man attack in the final third. He will link up with the Poacher nicely and will push forward aggressively into goal scoring areas. Will also contribute to pressing the opposition defence when out of possession. With him dropping deeper than your conventional forward when out of possession, he will be readily placed for any counter-attacking opportunities. Provides a perfect outlet when that situation does arise, for the Advanced Playmaker to spray a pass his way.

Poacher (Attack)
Our Poacher will sit on the shoulder of the last defender looking to break the defensive line. Running onto through balls from our midfield. His focus is to put the ball in the back of the net and will be your main focal point of attack. So will need to be somebody with a good ability to put the ball in the net. He will also chase the ball down putting pressure on the opposition back line and laying off any interceptions to his advancing teammates.

Bracconiere – What do the stats say?

In two seasons we dominated the league, with little to no changes in Player recruitment the tactic did all the hard work for us.

• vnl.png?resize=640%2C543&ssl=1

We ran away with the Vanarama National League in the opening season. We were predicted to finish 2nd in fairness. However the manor in which we did it was so impressive going completely unbeaten until April.

• attckdef.png?resize=370%2C585&ssl=1
  • gperf.png?resize=617%2C569&ssl=1
  • attcks.png?resize=627%2C561&ssl=1
  • hpd.png?resize=627%2C571&ssl=1
  • pcr.png?resize=621%2C568&ssl=1

Our second season was much more telling as these analytic graphs show us. We maintained imperious attacking stats whilst maintaining an almost impenetrable defence. With virtually the same squad we started with in the Vanarama National League.

We also turned around over 100 pass attempts per game than our league rivals. With a much higher accurate passing percentage which really gave us the edge to grind out those results. As a result we walked away with League Two and now find ourselves in League One.

• lg2.png?resize=640%2C559&ssl=1

To get an idea of how Bracconiere would perform with a more skilled team I decided to do my standard acid test with PSG, and the results were pretty good to say the least.

• psg bracconiere

140 goals for and 14 against, Neymar was an assist and goal king along with Messi in a powerful team unit. To be honest it wasn’t a surprise.

Conclusion

A tactic which should work with all levels given who I have tested it with. It will naturally have more success with stronger teams and better skilled players. If you find you are shipping goals from the left-hand side you can help retain solidity there by switching the Trequartista to either an Inverted Winger or Inside Forward both on a support duty.

Download Links

I have included both the Left side and Right side versions of the tactic. Which will be more adaptable depending on which positions you have better players in. The results were recorded using the L version however I have no reason to doubt the R version wont be at least as effective.

@jtaylor1409

Looks very similar in style as to how I have set up.

I haven't gone with a short passing style though. Mine is quick and direct.. At times It plays great, but really struggling to get goals from the striker or attacking mid. I'll be taking a look at yours and see if I can incorporate some of the roles into mine to see if I can get the striker and AM to perform

Clipboard01.jpg

I am also trying this with Shrewsbury Town - absolutely smashing the league, and only lost once (to a 94th minute goal after I had a player sent off!)

Will post some screen shots at the end of the season...

Thank you!

Hi there, really enjoying this! Has a good level of interplay between the front 5/6 and producing some nice football. 3rd season as Parma, and doing well in Serie A with a young squad augmented by key loans.

Have a few questions though!

- Will there be any detriment if both CBs are asked as ball-playing? I understand you want a KISS-type to "sweep up" in case of any issues but my current CBs are all wanting to play as Ball-Playing, haha!

- I'm not having a lot of joy for the IW on the LM/RM position, regardless of who I'm deployed there. From the description it seems that it's best to have a mobile and intelligent passer, and I've tried that but in almost every game this is the position that has the lowest rating. Conversely, I've managed to slot in non-wingers in the Treq position to great effect (mostly).

- Seems to not be too great at corners, at least compared to some others (Knap's ones for example) but maybe it's just a bad run for me?

All in all very impressed with this, good work!

10 hours ago, Sinbad7104 said:

Loving this tactic right now :hammer:

Very pleased to hear this. :) 

2 hours ago, Xennaz said:

Hi there, really enjoying this! Has a good level of interplay between the front 5/6 and producing some nice football. 3rd season as Parma, and doing well in Serie A with a young squad augmented by key loans.

Have a few questions though!

- Will there be any detriment if both CBs are asked as ball-playing? I understand you want a KISS-type to "sweep up" in case of any issues but my current CBs are all wanting to play as Ball-Playing, haha!

- I'm not having a lot of joy for the IW on the LM/RM position, regardless of who I'm deployed there. From the description it seems that it's best to have a mobile and intelligent passer, and I've tried that but in almost every game this is the position that has the lowest rating. Conversely, I've managed to slot in non-wingers in the Treq position to great effect (mostly).

- Seems to not be too great at corners, at least compared to some others (Knap's ones for example) but maybe it's just a bad run for me?

All in all very impressed with this, good work!

I guess you can give it a try. I always pair a BPD with a CD just to keep that balance but no reason why it wouldn't work with two BPD, just would come with a higher element of risk. 

For the LM/RM positions you could try a WM, WP or W and see if that works any better for you? It's all about trying out things which work for you, and your current squad/setup as no two squads are the same!

I haven't really looked at the set pieces to be honest, perhaps I should as I'm sure it could get a few more goals per season by having a higher emphasis on perfecting these. 

I started a new save on Saturday morning using this tactic with AC Milan, and this is a great tactic.... No OI used or touchline shouts, literally plug and play!

I have just gotten into December and have lost only one game in all competitions the 2nd to last group game against Real Madrid 3-2, I qualified top from a group consisting of Real Madrid, Man City & Ajax (Beat Man City 2-0 at the Etihad as well)

I am at work at the moment so cannot add screenshots, but will do later on today.

I have only made two signings Fran Beltran from Celta Vigo in the AP position as back up to Bennacer, and also loaned Anders Dreyer for the IWR position

14 hours ago, jtaylor1409 said:

This is brilliant news @mjcr3529, if you can get some screenshots up later I'd really appreciate it and look forward to seeing them.

:)

Sorry didn't get screenshots up last night, it will more than likely be tomorrow now, but I will post when I have the chance 👍🏼

Congratulations on a great tactic mate

14 hours ago, Karlo said:

I've loaded the tactic into FM21 and it's been abolutely brilliant :thup:

Do you perhaps also have a version especially for FM21? or did you just set this up in FM22?

The initial idea was created on FM21 to be fair however due to the strikerless system being OP on that version, it was nowhere near as effective. 

Using this in a Dulwich Hamlet save.  Obviously the players aren't the top quality ones you want for anything, but am currently 8 wins and 1 loss through 9 matches.  Projected 6th at the beginning of the season I believe, so overachieving a little bit perhaps but nothing crazy.  The loss was 2-1, but I blew them away in xG.  Just one of those bad defending days where they score 2 on an xG of .3 and you score 1 on an xG of 3+.  

Will keep using it in this save and see how it gets on, but it seems class at first blush.  Also it seems if I had someone fantastic at heading, it would be even stronger.  I get a lot of goals from headers in this one so far.

Edited by ubernoobNTH

On 16/11/2021 at 03:52, jtaylor1409 said:

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck if you give it a go! :) 

Hey Jamie, it worked OK with Watford decent mid-table finish. Worked really well with Leamington in VNN 👍

The MR position is probably my highlight. I bought Buendia from Villa for my Spurs team and play him MR (he's also taking free kicks and corners) and he's getting 25-35 assists a season, with a few goals too. 

I'm starting to struggle with consistency now though. Weird big losses every now and then, quite a few draws. I'm on my 3rd season and I think the ME has worked out the tactic a bit? Very settled team as well. 

Edited by Glassy

On 23/11/2021 at 16:49, jtaylor1409 said:

There are a few player instructions also which I'll try and dig out for you when I get chance. 

Just a reminder for these when you get a minute mate. Doing well so far with my Newcastle team, but keen to see if I'm missing anything with these PI's.

13 hours ago, edgar555 said:

Just a reminder for these when you get a minute mate. Doing well so far with my Newcastle team, but keen to see if I'm missing anything with these PI's.

GK - Take More Risks

DL - Shoot Less Often, Tackle Harder

CD - Take Fewer Risks, Stay Wider, Tackle Harder

BPD - Stay Wider, Tackle Harder

DR - Cross Aim Far Post, Shoot Less Often, Sit Narrower, Tackle Harder

DM - Dribble Less, Tackle Harder

MC - Pass It Shorter, Dribble More, Tackle Harder

MR - Take More Risks, Cross From Deep, Cross Aim Far Post, Shoot Less Often, Get Further Forward, Sit Narrower, Tackle Harder

AML - Cross Aim Near Post, Shoot Less Often

AMC - More Direct Passes, Shoot Less Often

ST - None

36 minutes ago, Abaddon879 said:

GK - Take More Risks

DL - Shoot Less Often, Tackle Harder

CD - Take Fewer Risks, Stay Wider, Tackle Harder

BPD - Stay Wider, Tackle Harder

DR - Cross Aim Far Post, Shoot Less Often, Sit Narrower, Tackle Harder

DM - Dribble Less, Tackle Harder

MC - Pass It Shorter, Dribble More, Tackle Harder

MR - Take More Risks, Cross From Deep, Cross Aim Far Post, Shoot Less Often, Get Further Forward, Sit Narrower, Tackle Harder

AML - Cross Aim Near Post, Shoot Less Often

AMC - More Direct Passes, Shoot Less Often

ST - None

Amazing, thank you

Well I'm certainly a fan of this tactic. Decided to give it a go with my F.C. Andorra team, who are in the Spanish third division and facing competition from the B teams of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia, and Villarreal. Media prediction was to finish 10th, while the season preview had us expected to finish 7th (Don't understand how/why these are different in this version).

Without making a single signing, it was a close fought battle between us and Barcelona B all season, but finally we managed to come out on top and win the league.

image.thumb.png.23d4278d8b29e8e8ddf0e3b875259565.png

We scored the most goals in the league, registered the most shots on target, and had the highest conversion rate. Defensively we had the third best record for conceded goals (32), but positively we faced the second fewest shots (288) in the league. Certainly shows that the tactic is a threat going forwards while managing to remain very tight defensively.

The only concern I had is common with these high-tempo, aggressive tactics - discipline. We received the fourth highest number of yellow (75) and red cards (3). Often I found myself being forced into tactical changes to replace a player who had been booked, or removing the tackle harder instruction.

So I was managing a fairly average Shrewsbury Town team with not much squad depth at all (You only have to look at the actual squad photo for Shrewsbury Town this season to know what I mean!) and we absolutely smashed the league with this tactic. 

Weirdly my form tailed off at the end of the season, but I was so far out in front it didn't matter by then. Will be interesting to see how this fairs in the Championship, and I need to get a lot of new players in having relied on a lot of loans...

Still, fantastic tactic. Thank you!!!

image.thumb.png.5509ef178a859e74927e8a2a75c82c2d.png

This tactic is pretty darn good. I got 98 points with a very young Spurs squad finishing second to a mad Liverpool team that includes Haaland. We outscored them overall though with 109 in the PL. My youngsters, particularly at full back picked up a lot of yellow cards, but that can be managed. This tactic is literally my only hope of beating Liverpool but that has yet to happen. Still, it's amazing against everyone else. Good job mate.

hard to tell - I've only played 2 games since the update (I'm second season with Arsenal).  One was a 2-1 loss to Chelsea in the FA Cup QF and the other was a 1-1 draw with Fulham in the league.  Both games we outplayed the opposition but didn't take our chances.  Have noticed a lot of easy chances missed.  Small sample size though, will update after a few more games.  

Love this tactic so thanks to @jtaylor1409 for your work.  I'm interested if anyone does any in-game management at all?  Maybe to close out games or away to big teams?

2021-12-08 (1).png

2021-12-08.png

1 hour ago, jdubsnz said:

I'm interested if anyone does any in-game management at all?  Maybe to close out games or away to big teams?

I've created a SUS version to see out games. It pulls the AML back to ML and changes a few roles, adds time wasting, reduces pressing and tempo, passing goes more direct and goes to a defensive or cautious mentality depending on situation. This is also very useful if you go down to 10 men, just remove the AMCR.

I've also set up a 4-1-3-1-1ish version for tough away games, which uses a balanced mentality, pulls the AMCR to MCR (CM/Att) and changes a few other things. 

I've been using this with Parma to great success. Plays some really attractive football. It did well in Serie B but to be honest we were predicted first so I wasn't sure how it would work in Serie A when we're a small fish but to my shock it's started superbly! Haven't made any changes to the tactic but i have set up a second version of the tactic with less pressing and no counter pressing to try and stop my players dying :lol: First season it was fine with 5 subs but with only 3 my players are really struggling by the 70 min mark so I've switched out to the second tactic to try and save the legs. The only position that isn't really working well for me is the inverted winger, I find they often get 6.4/6.5 averages and don't seem to contribute a lot. I tried playing a CM out there a few times as a wide playmaker and had some success, particularly in bigger matches.

1225963779_SerieB.thumb.png.ac627dc66f8c722afc6169c8589fff13.png

1422410218_SerieA.thumb.png.230f66a3c90631496cf92bbddc7c0b6b.png

fixtures.png.eca85cf1657cacb471fddd851086c65f.png