FM22 Performance Benchmarking Thread

16 hours ago, Jolyon Chen said:

Question: how did you see your processor speed only hit 2133Mhz

No, not CPU speed, RAM speed. Task manager shows it as 2133MHz

As I think you've confused your RAM profile with your CPU speed here?

Yes and no. For some reason I thought there should be some correlation between the two. It had been a long day yesterday :idiot:

So what you are saying is that I can't overclock my CPU, it's stuck at 3.20GHz right?

OK, that's fine.

1. XMP doesn't care about overclocked or “non-overclockable” CPUs, that should just work.

Is it possible to enable XMP on a Lenovo machine or no? It seems like "computer says no" :(

Step 2: My settings weren't set on high performance but done that now. Will run through 'A' and 'B' again and see if it's any better.

Can you download the program called hwinfo64 and run benchmark “A” again?

Will do that now but not expecting miracles.

Thanks for your reply :brock:

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

So what you are saying is that I can't overclock my CPU, it's stuck at 3.20GHz right?

Your CPU in HWinfo64 shows it slows itself down for a technical reason briefly (IA limit reason means very simplified: it defends its longevity by slowing down the core speed), that is normal behavior. It's a design choice.

For the overwhelming majority of times, It's normally at 3,2, with that energy profile it now appears good. It's not stuck, as it boosted to 3,6 for one core and higher than 3,2 for multiple cores for a less than a few minutes.

10 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

Is it possible to enable XMP on a Lenovo machine or no? It seems like "computer says no" :(

Powermonger's answer is correct. Your motherboard doesn't support XMP, due to costs, time, it's an old thing, made by lenovo for their own hardware only, etc.  So no, your ram will stay stuck on your current speed. It's still the normal recommended speed for your cpu though, so it's not like you're losing performance.

For the 1% extra performance in case a new bios profile unlocks XMP by installing a new bios, I wouldn't advise upgrading to new bios anyway. Because new motherboards have a reserve bios, so in case your power goes out or smth during your bios update, you can still start it up. With your rig, if something happens out of the blue, you're out of luck. If you don't care about losing and killing the rig, try to find a new bios by going to the Lenovo site, click on support top left and “detect product”. The bios download that may show in a long list has a manual explaining the process further. I btw can't find your model and bios file for you because the motherboard name is partly hidden in hwinfo, and I don't know all Lenovo home-made mobo's from the top of my head. And tbh, it's such an old model, not easily found anymore, if I give you the wrong bios file, I'd feel so sorry I'd send you a new pc.

Edited by Jolyon Chen
typo

Type: Laptop

Model: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H

CPU Base Frequency: 3.20 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.40 GHz

RAM: 32GB

RAM Clockspeed: 3200 MT/s

GPU: RTX 3070

Graphics Level in 3D: High

Storage Type: SSD

Benchmark A: 00 min 59 Sec

Benchmark B: 05 min 45 Sec

Benchmark C: 10 min 35 Sec

Benchmark D: xx min xx Sec

36 minutes ago, Phil930 said:

The Ryzen 9 7950X vs Intel i9-13900K.  Wonder just how much of a lift in performance these will bring to FM.

Well at the moment in the Desktop market Intel is absolutely smashing it as far as FM goes.  That said the single core performance of these new Ryzens looks amazing

Model: Legion 5 Pro 16IAH7H

CPU Model: i5-12500h

CPU Base Frequency: 2.50 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.50 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 4800Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Graphics Level in 3D: High

Storage Type: SSD

Benchmark A: 49 Sec

Benchmark B: 4 min 17 Sec

Benchmark C: 8 min 55 Sec

1 hour ago, xkvicd said:

Model: Legion 5 Pro 16IAH7H

CPU Model: i5-12500h

CPU Base Frequency: 2.50 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.50 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 4800Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Graphics Level in 3D: High

Storage Type: SSD

Benchmark A: 49 Sec

Benchmark B: 4 min 17 Sec

Benchmark C: 8 min 55 Sec

Wow, those are nice numbers. While the turbo "clockspeeds" are similar it seems the 12th generation and the faster RAM does seem to make quite the difference. 

Decided to give it a spin while stability testing the new Zen 4 workstation. Note that I can't install a GPU that doesn't exist yet into it, so it's running a 7950x without dedicated graphics which is not a good setup.

FM engine still capable of running 100% all-core on match days. 360mm AIO cooler, was getting 5.65 GHz on low core count usage, and 5.15GHz all-core.

Type: Desktop

Model: Custom

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

CPU Base Frequency: 4.50 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.70 GHz

RAM: 64GB

RAM Clockspeed: 6000 MT/s

GPU: Integrated

Graphics Level in 3D: Low

Benchmark A: 00 min 39 Sec

Benchmark B: 03 min 08 Sec

Benchmark C: 04 min 43 Sec

Benchmark D: 11 min 42 Sec

Edited by hancin
7950x is actually ryzen 9, not 7. derp

3 minutes ago, hancin said:

Decided to give it a spin while stability testing the new Zen 4 workstation. Note that I can't install a GPU that doesn't exist yet into it, so it's running a 7950x without dedicated graphics which is not a good setup.

FM engine still capable of running 100% all-core on match days. 360mm AIO cooler, was getting 5.65 GHz on low core count usage, and 5.15GHz all-core.

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 7 7950X

Christ, save some P*ssy for the rest of us

Edited by KillYourIdols

3 hours ago, hancin said:

Wow! That's somewhat quick! :eek:

1 hour ago, gothenburg83 said:

Wow! That's somewhat quick! :eek:

At first I wasn't sure if this was gonna provide any useful data, looking at 6-7% CPU usage (so close to single-threaded). But match days with lots of things loaded turned out to be good for a chip with lots of cores.

Wouldn't recommend this only for playing FM, but might actually stop playing FM on the laptop and more on the desktop after seeing these results :lol:

7 hours ago, hancin said:

Can't wait to see the new Intel core against this.  Damn impressive

Model: MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

CPU Model: Quad-Core Intel Core I5

CPU Base Frequency: 1.4 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.90 GHz

RAM: 8GB

RAM Clockspeed: 2133 Mhz

GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 mb

Graphics Level in 3D: Low (recommended settings)

Benchmark A: 2 min 17 Sec

Benchmark B: 10 min 45 Sec

Benchmark C: 33 min 08 Sec

6 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Yep I'll be doing it next week

In the meantime spread the word as we are only a dozen shy of beating last years total !

I’ll take one for the team and do a test on my wife’s 10 year old laptop. Benchmark C and D will probably be way beyond what the laptop will handle though. 

On 04/10/2022 at 20:37, hancin said:

Those are the sort of chart-topping results I would expect from a latest-gen, top tier, £769 CPU.

The Benchmark A and B results aren't outstanding, but I think we are seeing diminishing returns in those benchmarks now. 2.5% faster in A and 3% faster in B than the top 12900k results.

The real story is in Benchmark C and D, which this does extremely well in. 21% faster in C and 33.33% faster in D.

It will be interesting to see how the Intel 13th-gen performs, and also the lower tier Ryzen 7000 chips.

I finally have my new pc in my possession and now in working order. FM22 is downloaded, and my 3rd benchmark completed. This is chalk and cheese from what I had before. I'm looking forward to this.

Type: Desktop

Model: MSI Pro Z690-A Wifi DDr4

CPU Model: Intel Core i7 12700KF

CPU Base Frequency: 3.6 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.0 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 2133Mhz

GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti

Graphics Level in 3D: Very High

Benchmark A: 0 min 44 Sec

Benchmark B: 3 min 53 Sec

Benchmark C: 6 min 37 Sec

Benchmark D: 18 min 39 Sec

On 10/10/2022 at 17:44, Abaddon879 said:

Those are the sort of chart-topping results I would expect from a latest-gen, top tier, £769 CPU.

The Benchmark A and B results aren't outstanding, but I think we are seeing diminishing returns in those benchmarks now. 2.5% faster in A and 3% faster in B than the top 12900k results.

The real story is in Benchmark C and D, which this does extremely well in. 21% faster in C and 33.33% faster in D.

It will be interesting to see how the Intel 13th-gen performs, and also the lower tier Ryzen 7000 chips.

Trouble is though Benchmark A is by far the most likely real world scenario.

For C & D you would have to really dig down and add the full detail to the leagues which (and only SI will really know) I doubt pretty much anyone does.

Personally I only ever add full detail to the leagues immediately above and below me and any leagues I loan players out to.

I obviously don't want to argue against my own benchmark thread but I actually quite like that the percentages are quite low on the A & B tests as it proves you don't have to have a mega PC to play the game.

That said i'm really encouraged by the C & D results lately which hopefully soon means that chucking on full detail for a load of leagues will be a viable setup

• 2 weeks later...

really looking forward to see how the new Intel CPUs stack up as I preparing to build a new PC and will have to choose between a 7000 and 13th gen.
they seem to be neck and neck in regular gaming and a 6 core is more than enough for all other games but in FM an 8 core will be significantly faster than a 6 one, right? 

Edited by gizmo11x

30 minutes ago, gizmo11x said:

really looking forward to see how the new Intel CPUs stack up as I preparing to build a new PC and will have to choose between a 7000 and 13th gen.
they seem to be neck and neck in regular gaming and a 6 core is more than enough for all other games but in FM an 8 core will be significantly faster than a 6 one, right? 

Doubtful.  In most use cases the sheer single core power of the Intel is likely to be better for FM in most use cases.  We will see though.

I'll update the spreadsheet for the final time this week and then the FM23 thread will go live on full release day, 8th November.

1 hour ago, gizmo11x said:

I’d go with the 7000 series myself. 13th Gen intel chips run too much for the speed they push, using lots of power.  Once you adjust the chip to be a bit energy efficient, it will be on par with a AMD 7000 series chip, so will lose that bit of gain Intel had before. And in todays climate with energy prices rising, best to invest in a 7000. Also to use most of the cores, I suggest you put all the leagues you are running in full detail.

42 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

I’d go with the 7000 series myself. 13th Gen intel chips run too much for the speed they push, using lots of power.  Once you adjust the chip to be a bit energy efficient, it will be on par with a AMD 7000 series chip, so will lose that bit of gain Intel had before. And in todays climate with energy prices rising, best to invest in a 7000. Also to use most of the cores, I suggest you put all the leagues you are running in full detail.

A valid point.  Depends on what you want from a chip I suppose.  Will be great to see the two go head to head in the FM23 benchmarks

LTT released a video yesterday and 13th gen performed better in games and is well priced compared to R7000

2 hours ago, gizmo11x said:

Model: Asus TUF Gaming fx507zm

CPU Model: Intel i7 12700H

CPU Base Frequency: 2.30 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.70 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 4800 MT/s

GPU: RTX 3060

Graphics Level in 3D: High

Benchmark A: 00 min 50 Sec

Benchmark B: 04 min 25 Sec

Benchmark C: 09 min 41 Sec

Pleasantly surprised with benchmark A & B but quite dissapointed with Benchmark C result. I haven't used a monitoring program, but I suspect the laptop is struggling with keeping the CPU at Turbo Speed at all times. My first 3D Mark result was also underwhelming (10750 CPU score on TimeSpy with noticably drop during the test) but some changes made it better (13950 and constant 4.1 Ghz clock). I hope to find out what the perfect settings are for FM with this laptop (very little information to find online)

Edit: Did benchmark C again while looking at the "Armoury Crate" power management tool and saw that the CPU never went above 3547 Mhz and was quite often at only 2100 Mhz which is even below its base frequency. Call me confused because I am...

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

8 hours ago, Powermonger said:

@EdLhave you guys ever thought about  including some kind of benchmark tool inside FM that players can run and automatically compare it with other players benchmarks or is it just not practical/possible?

that's not a bad idea

maybe getting in touch with some of the review sites/channels to include FM in their tests (something similar to these 4 benchmarks). That would be so cool.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Powermonger:

@EdLhave you guys ever thought about  including some kind of benchmark tool inside FM that players can run and automatically compare it with other players benchmarks or is it just not practical/possible?

Good idea! But there is no one I trust more when it comes to benchmarks than @Brother Benhimself:cool:

Edited by Daveincid

1 hour ago, Daveincid said:

Good idea! But there is no one I trust more when it comes to benchmarks than @Brother Benhimself:cool:

Not trying to do Ben out of a job :D It just had me thinking of having an option in game that you could run and it would you give you your stats with people with a similar game setup. There is still a place for a more detailed test setup like that has been run by Ben and others in the past.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Powermonger:

Not trying to do Ben out of a job :D It just had me thinking of having an option in game that you could run and it would you give you your stats with people with a similar game setup. There is still a place for a more detailed test setup like that has been run by Ben and others in the past.

Yeah it would definetly be a cool thing but I always prefer user-based benchmarks. In todays world you have so many benchmarks which aren't completely free of "influences" or they aren't 100% transparent. That's why I always trust this benchmark when deciding what CPU I'm going to buy next^^ 

5 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

While a good idea in concept, I think that with the number of people playing and then adding extra files to change leagues etc, it would be impossible to get a decent result table the likes of Bens due to too much individuality.

Now if they were to implement it with ready made files similar to those used here then it would be a great tool and would get so many more data points than here.  While 78 is a decent number for a forum data collection, imagine having thousands of data points to draw on. 

3 hours ago, Wheatie said:

Great topic, will there be one up for FM23 anytime soon?

Looking to get a new laptop so I am very curious to see which CPU handles the newest iteration of FM the best. 

As soon as the full game is out yes  :thup:

On 04/10/2022 at 21:37, hancin said:

Hello ,Can I ask, what motherboard did You use? And Windows 10 or Windows 11? 🤔

On 27/10/2022 at 22:22, Jarasso said:

Hello ,Can I ask, what motherboard did You use? And Windows 10 or Windows 11? 🤔

Sure. System uses the Crosshair X670E Extreme MB, latest drivers on Windows 11 22H2.

I tried rerunning the test with a GPU, but it didn't seem like it affected A or B so I didn't run the others.

Just run Benchmark A(or as near as I can replicate) in FM23 and the result is interesting to say the least :eek:

A better GPU should not impact the data I would assume.  But how much impact would doubling my RAM make?

Getting a Benchmark B duplicate ready now to see how that compares. 

Yeah above 8 gig I would wager it makes no difference at all

Actually it would be great if someone could take out a line of RAM to test this.

My guess is the benefits of dual channel are also negligible 

Edited by Brother Ben

1 hour ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Just run Benchmark A(or as near as I can replicate) in FM23 and the result is interesting to say the least :eek:

It's worth noting that these results are a season in so we are talking 12th - 19th Sep 2023 for FM23 and of course the number of games simulated will be entirely different

Mind you I guess we will find out next week!

Edited by Brother Ben

Bit confused by my FM23 tests

My setup on FM22 tests was 

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB DDR4 3200mhz and GTX 1060 6gb

My setup on FM23 tests is

Same CPU.  32GB DDR4 3200mhz and RTX 3070

Bench A  FM22 - 1:32  FM23 - 0:48???

Bench B  FM22 - 6:11  FM23 - 8:56???

Now obviously I might have some discrepancy in the bench's setup but I tried to match exactly where possible. 

Tomorrow I will re-run as I get a new CPU but moving to the 5800X

49 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Bit confused by my FM23 tests

My setup on FM22 tests was 

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB DDR4 3200mhz and GTX 1060 6gb

My setup on FM23 tests is

Same CPU.  32GB DDR4 3200mhz and RTX 3070

Bench A  FM22 - 1:32  FM23 - 0:48???

Bench B  FM22 - 6:11  FM23 - 8:56???

Now obviously I might have some discrepancy in the bench's setup but I tried to match exactly where possible. 

Tomorrow I will re-run as I get a new CPU but moving to the 5800X

It'll be down to the amount of matches being played.  There's not really any value comparing year on year.  You can only really compare to other processors.

I'm even contemplating changing the tests for FM23 to avoid such comparisons

Spreadsheet and 2nd post updated for the final time.

87 systems tested this year which is 9 shy of FM21 but a really great effort by everyone.

The clear winner is the R9 7950X from @hancin, however we have yet to see a high end 13th Gen Intel during the tests.

Special mention to @mstrmind5 who gave up over 1 hour and 15 mins of his life to do the test, as did a few others.

Big thanks to everyone who took part, without you guys the thread would be pointless.  Its also become far more than just a speedtest it has become a good way to diagnose issues against similar computers which is a great bi-product of the tests.

So now on to the FM23 thread which will be with you in the coming days

Thanks all !

On 11/10/2022 at 14:19, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I finally have my new pc in my possession and now in working order. FM22 is downloaded, and my 3rd benchmark completed. This is chalk and cheese from what I had before. I'm looking forward to this.

Type: Desktop

Model: MSI Pro Z690-A Wifi DDr4

CPU Model: Intel Core i7 12700KF

CPU Base Frequency: 3.6 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.0 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 2133Mhz

GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti

Graphics Level in 3D: Very High

Benchmark A: 0 min 44 Sec

Great effort @Brother Ben. My Benchmark A test on my new pc doesn't appear on the spreadsheet, but my others were. I am, however, proudly sitting at the bottom though with my old pc!

Quick little preview of the FM23 benchmarks

They will differ slightly from last year. 1 & 2 are the same test but with more detail added to the latter.  The same goes for 3 & 4

A lot more straight forward hopefully

New ProjectASASA.jpg

Edited by Brother Ben