[FM22] The Great San Marino Challenge

8 hours ago, Sageda said:

Hey guys, so im in serie B and i was trying to sign a south africa and i realise that i cant sign non-EU players from abroad, is this a real serie B rule? Does it apply to serie A ?

image.thumb.png.32bb7bdf6e7a0f95bef52d86718a1cbf.png

Go onto the rules page of Serie A, it explains the rules regarding Non-EU players in ways I couldn’t simplify. But essentially you can sign non-EU players, but it’s very limited. 

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Sageda said:

Hey guys, so im in serie B and i was trying to sign a south africa and i realise that i cant sign non-EU players from abroad, is this a real serie B rule? Does it apply to serie A ?

image.thumb.png.32bb7bdf6e7a0f95bef52d86718a1cbf.png

Yes, in the Serie B you can't sign non-EU players. In the Serie A you can but only 3 each season even tho there are also restrictions there

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Wow that is amazing progress. Well done.

Thanks! I’ve had a couple of good players come through and a handful of passable ones, especially in defence and up front, though we’re still desperately weak in midfield. The average squad age is 20!

An update from Andrew James of SI on Dynamic Youth Ratings.  There was no change/fix in this week's patch.  It looks like my cunning plan was very much a Baldrick type plan and I'll need to re-assess and get to Serie A with VSM as quickly as possible!!

From my point of view and how I saw DYR - was that in game it is possible to turn San Marino into a country that will qualify for major tournaments and although it's hard, win them.  No chance that happens in real life.  Not a Leicester "no chance" they'll win the Prem - a never in a million years no chance!  But as you can do it in game, the DYR should be somewhat "gamey" to match what you can do in game that you can't in real life.  A bit disappointing - but partly my fault for making assumptions on how it would work.  But at least I know before I finish work for a 2 week break and hopefully some big time FM sessions!

Anyway, here's the quote from SI:

"Hi all, just wanted to provide an update on this and hopefully some clarification on how this feature works in game. 

The latest update doesn't contain any changes to this. 

We've looked at a couple of the examples of smaller nations not improving where it seems like they might, but actually due to the way this system works, increases here are always going to be very unlikely. 

The main factors involved in these calculations are a nation's State of Development, Economic Factor, FA Financial Power and Game Importance. These fields are all fixed, meaning that the potential for changes to Youth Rating in some nations is immediately going to be lowered. 

A few areas that have been mentioned by some users as potential factors do not actually enter into these calculations, for example the national team ranking or financial status of clubs in the nation. 

NYR is not the only factor that determines the quality of youth players in a nation - and in cases where the other factors have already been improved, such as the youth facilities at top clubs, can actually make NYR less likely to increase. The reason for this is that NYR applies to *all* clubs in a nation, and is quite an abstract concept to actually define - but if a nation with low spending power is already seeing improvement in the quality of young players due to improvements and investments made by clubs, then the nation itself will deem further investments into grass roots structures less necessary, as the improvement in quality is already happening. 

In some nations, they will actually be more likely to see an improvement to NYR if the amount of foreign talent in their leagues starts to increase compared to domestic talent - assuming there is enough money and interest in the game to make those improvements. 

I hope that all makes sense. I've already taken notes from this thread regarding how we can go about improving this feature in the future, but I hope you can appreciate that we want to keep things realistic - and it's a tight line to walk when we're trying to deal with situations that users may achieve in game for which there's very little precedent of in real life."

18 hours ago, TacticalGenius said:

The two best wonderkids in the world are... Sammarinese?!image.png.65c4e6af7a2eee8a22f1b32c17434d2b.png

Brilliant - for sure the most exciting part of this challenge is when you get Sammarinese talent like these two.  Get another 4 or 5 others and some decent options to fill out the squad and you've got a real chance of doing this.  Your tactics will always give you the advantage over the AI, so don't think you need 11+ 4/5* Serie A players.  One thing that makes a big difference is a 5* keeper - I had 2 in FM19 and the first one really took me to another level.

I had a M. Mina in FM19 - but he was nowhere near as good as yours!

Disappointing second season. Whilst staying in the 4th division certainly isn't bad, we could have made it to the play-offs with some better results. My 4-4-2 that absolutely killed the 5th division didn't work anymore, so I've switched over to a 4-3-3, which I'll be going with for the foreseeable future. I only just got Flavio Di Dio in the January window and yet he still ended up as our top goalscorer for the season. Sadly he won't come back as he's too good for the league

billede.thumb.png.d4f4f6d769bd63ab9f822e07b9e90423.png

Another mediocre youth intake. Only two Sanmarinese players with real decent potential. Will try to change my HOYD to someone with better traits next season to see if that helps.

billede.png.1c0b70986aba217054cfbaa4bf284a84.png

@6499red Achievements throughout my whole save so far

Win promotion from the Eccellenza
Win the Dillettanti Cup

Pennarossa Europa League Adventure So Far

image.thumb.png.3008112666b17f4f9d8dc7dece645251.pngMy best game for Pennarossa so far. We were losing 3-1 at one point but with constant encouragement the boys fought back to get a point.

We are currently doing well in the Europa league so far with us beating Glentoran and Red Star Belgrade to make the group stage.

We have got Marseille, Besiktas and Bayer Leverkusen in our group. A very tough group. 

We didn't start well with a 7-3 loss to Marseille but we bounced back with a 4-2 victory vs Besiktas and then the 4-4 draw vs Bayer.

4 points after 3 games I will take that against the teams I am playing.

image.thumb.png.8efe47ef17a5dd7ef3e0a0d550be982a.png

San Marino National Team Progress

image.thumb.png.156e99187bbceb8f7915eb72d8ae8899.png

So I have Malta and Andorra in my UEFA Nations League group and I am doing well so far with 2 wins and 1 loss. We didn't deserve to lose to Malta as well as we dominated them.

So, update on the save.  I am currently at the start of season 4.  In each of the last two seasons I lost quickly in Champions League qualifying but battled through Euro Conference League and got into the group stage (I think I posted the first one of those campaigns earlier in the thread).   In each of those campaigns we exceeded expectations for the group, finishing second.  In each season we lost in the first knockout round but still a rounding success.  This has done a number of things.  Most notably . . for the nation of San Marino, our coefficient has increased to the point where the nation now sits in 29th on the coefficient table, giving us 1 CL and 3 ECL spots.   More San Marino teams playing in Europe hopefully means that soon more of them will be doing well, making group stages, going Pro, investing in their facilities, and ultimately getting better youth (if they fix that damn bug)

This marked the first season we did not have to play in that preliminary play-off and boy did we take advantage of that.  Some favorable draws, two amazing home wins, and an amazing night in Montenegro that saw us overcome a first leg defeat had has going into Jan Breydelstadion, the home of Club Brugge, for the second leg of the Champions League Champions Path Playoff flying high and up 3-2 . . . one game away from the glory land of Champions League Group play.   Sadly, we ran out of miracles and crashed back to earth with a 4-1 defeat.  However, even in defeat, we had qualified for the group stage of the Europa League and our coefficient was high enough we were actually in the 3rd pot for the draw.   Then . . . the draw . . . oh boy.   I'm not crying  . . . your crying . . . maybe they will make a mercy rule?

In all honesty though, I think we have a chance of finishing 3rd and perhaps qualifying for ECL knockouts again but it will take a couple of really good games against Lausanne for that to happen.  

coeff.PNG

Champions League Run.PNG

Euro group.PNG

Edited by Lefurjah

Still a very 'international' group (I love pulling people in for trials and signing those I like).  We have lured in a couple of San Marino internationals (our GK Columbo of note) and we are finally starting to get some youth talent that can be of use in the future.  I have to play two SMR players in each league game and I am finally at the point where I feel that I have two players that actually contribute as opposed to one that I am just hoping doesn't screw up.  994667003_2024-25squad.thumb.PNG.0932df21de07a2ee00ded5aa10519393.PNG

We're approaching the end of season 6 (2026/27) here - we've just beaten 2nd place Pisa 2-1 at home moving us 8 points clear at the top of Serie B with 12 games to go. If we somehow win promotion, I have no idea how to go about recruiting for Serie A. Our wage is the lowest in Serie B (£1.95m a year and I can't imagine we'll have much of a boost with the perilous financial situation at the club. Lowest in Serie A is SPAL with £10.85m - they beat us in the Serie B playoff last season. Nicola Nanni is our highest paid player on £4k p/w. (He's been pretty good for us - 15 goals in 22 games so far this year. 24 goals in 73 caps too. 

Moving back to Acquaviva with its 750 capacity happened to me too at the start of this season after averaging well over 2,200 at the national stadium. 

At least the 'Sign Sammarinese players only' thing was removed. Meant we could strengthen a bit and the DoF could recommend some actual players too. 

Discovered one way of gaining free loans by looking through the Italian U19 squad - picked up 3 youngsters who have done okay for us. 

If we do somehow qualify for Serie A, I'm hoping we can start looking at the facilities. Haven't strengthened once yet - haven't been able to. It does remind me that we were in the fifth tier 6 years ago and I constantly have to tell myself that. Success will come in time. 

On the national side, we managed an unbeaten year - we're 166th in the world rankings and finished top of our Nations League group containing Latvia and Gibraltar. 

I Have Finally Done It

image.thumb.png.6b6fb6a5412253f3f90c226ff49623ab.png

I started with 2 leg victories over Ararat-Armenia and Shakhtar Soligorsk and then I come across CFR Cluj who I lost to 2 seasons a go and avenged my loss by beating them 4-2 on agg.

I had the hardest challenge so for me with Pennarossa with us playing Dinamo Zagreb and both games were goalfests.

a 5-4 lost in the first leg and a 3-0 win in the home leg got us to the group stage of the Champions League

@6499red Can you update the records when you get chance please.

I also got given £12 million for getting into the Champions League group stage which is life changing for Pennarossa and will help with further improvements to facilities and coaching.

I got the group of death with us having Man City, Real Madrid and Benfica in the group.

image.thumb.png.09ec2115e52ca2472aba22d4fa91c3a1.png

I would be happy to just not get thrashed 8-0 in every game lol.

So after my last post I had the option to ask the board to Improve The Youth Facilities again and the board come back with the usual we would rather you buy players then bring through our own so I done something I never done before and I leaked it to the press and told the press how unhappy I was with the boards decision.

Here is what happened next.

image.thumb.png.8a4712a07f9e58529e9336a54ea6fbdb.png

Result. Well happy. I might have to try it again in a few months.

More Progress For San Marino Football

image.thumb.png.1e49491012ab1a2ba6ba5c8c4b3f8fe4.png

Pennarossa also nearing the top 100 clubs in Europe with us being 135th best team in Europe.

image.thumb.png.a0a00fd8cbfc81505d3ad8a63d72f67b.png

Also I had a takeover at Pennarossa. They weren't a tycoon takeover but the board seem more open to improving the club as they accepted my request to improve the training facilities after they only just got improved earlier in the season. The best part is I didn't need to beg or complain. They just did it.

image.thumb.png.8390f6ec6cdffbd665d1f1f5070a1741.png

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

First season in Serie A is going ridiculously well. We've just beaten Juventus away and we're now 3rd with 9 games to go. I'm beginning to dream of Europe. And I can't really explain it. I only spent £300k in transfer fees in the summer. We're having a lovely time, though. 

Nicola Nanni update - he scored from 30 yards in our recent game against Venezia. That was a bit special. I'm starting to wonder if I need to adopt these tactics for the national side. 

Also, if we do qualify for Europe, Boccioletti will play the final game of the season. I still have him here on a non-contract basis. He's been with me since the start, he's club captain, and it would be a fitting send off.