[FM22] A Day Without Football is a Day Lost

SixPointer

Good stuff here. Nice goals and the W + Mez combo is so very nice. The RPM working nicely for you? Better than the AP?

Funny about th clear out. That’s also my usual way of doing things though I’m taking a different route in the current save. 

8 hours ago, SixPointer said:

My top tip for the tactical side is trying to translate real life into the game.

One of the things I find fascinating is that you and I arrive at many of the same places in a completely different way. I’ve always just thought of the shapes and movement I want and worked the system until I get what I want (or the best out of the players) while you study and recreate (with tweaks). Reading about your research and implementation has been a nice tool to see things from a different angle, and always in a way that tends to be clear and concise!

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Good stuff here. Nice goals and the W + Mez combo is so very nice. The RPM working nicely for you? Better than the AP?

Funny about th clear out. That’s also my usual way of doing things though I’m taking a different route in the current save. 

One of the things I find fascinating is that you and I arrive at many of the same places in a completely different way. I’ve always just thought of the shapes and movement I want and worked the system until I get what I want (or the best out of the players) while you study and recreate (with tweaks). Reading about your research and implementation has been a nice tool to see things from a different angle, and always in a way that tends to be clear and concise!

It’s definitely intrigues me as well that we do often come to similar thinking in different ways. I have good knowledge of real life football and when i first really got into tactics in FM I often went round in circles until I changed to my current approach. 
I would however not take over Burnley and be as crazy to try play total football 🤣 it’s why there is often a lot of thought into who I manage especially when I have a tactical idea set out. 

what’s interesting is with ODD that you followed closely on FM21 I never had that original idea and toyed with a sort of Dortmund style and in the end I played quite uniquely and it worked well. I think only because I now have better knowledge of the creator I can sort of go both ways in a sense. 
where as when I first started it was sheer frustration 

4 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I first started it was sheer frustration

And yet - when you solve that frustrating problem, it's the best!

True on ODD - that was much more my style!  And now I'm going a bit more your style and trying to bring the philosophy of total football to Portsmouth. At least total football has a lot of freedom!

7 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Great results  (except the shocked elimination in cup) and beautiful football.Keep up the good work.:thup:

Thanks my man!

2 hours ago, 13th Man said:

And yet - when you solve that frustrating problem, it's the best!

True on ODD - that was much more my style!  And now I'm going a bit more your style and trying to bring the philosophy of total football to Portsmouth. At least total football has a lot of freedom!

It’s still the must frustrating game at times. When you get FM’d as we say 🤣🤣 much like this late penalty I’ve just had!

46 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Good progress being made here! I like the tactical breakdown a lot. Also having a lot of joy with a mezzalla. By the way do you find the two play makers work well with each other?

Thanks bud. Ehh tbh the RPM has started well but it’s definitely up for debate if they do work well together. I could easily go to a half back. And go for a more flat 343 or even an anchor. But Brunic is highly creative and eventually I want him to be than man to switch the ball. It’s capable of a regista as well but if I went down that route I would take the RPM and shift to a double Mezz

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks my man!

It’s still the must frustrating game at times. When you get FM’d as we say 🤣🤣 much like this late penalty I’ve just had!

Thanks bud. Ehh tbh the RPM has started well but it’s definitely up for debate if they do work well together. I could easily go to a half back. And go for a more flat 343 or even an anchor. But Brunic is highly creative and eventually I want him to be than man to switch the ball. It’s capable of a regista as well but if I went down that route I would take the RPM and shift to a double Mezz

Fair enough that's what I thought. Double mezz may be pretty tasty with the right players !

5 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Fair enough that's what I thought. Double mezz may be pretty tasty with the right players !

It’s certainly great for half space control maybe doesn’t give me the variation I want from each side. But I could make a symmetrical system and just due duties to get the players on different lines. It’s definitely something I will consider.

although I’ve upped the tactic it’s all still very much in its infancy, I thought with RUCH I got my first system nailed down a lot quicker which allowed me to move on to a second shape a little quicker. But I’m really enjoying getting to know the ME. I find the inverted winger works far better this year where as last year I often went with a winger  so it’s a nice working progress. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

It’s certainly great for half space control maybe doesn’t give me the variation I want from each side. But I could make a symmetrical system and just due duties to get the players on different lines. It’s definitely something I will consider.

although I’ve upped the tactic it’s all still very much in its infancy, I thought with RUCH I got my first system nailed down a lot quicker which allowed me to move on to a second shape a little quicker. But I’m really enjoying getting to know the ME. I find the inverted winger works far better this year where as last year I often went with a winger  so it’s a nice working progress. 

Yes you can always have one on support and one attack. 

Inverted wingers seem to work well but they did last time around too so hardly a surprise. Tbh I've struggled more with inside forwards now. 

I generally go for a balanced formation and use Attack and Support roles for the AM and Defender to adjust where I want them to attack on the wings usually.

Might eventually move to a more Asymmetrical setup, but I am still trying to get my head around where on the pitch different roles and duties attack in the 5-2-1-2 WB!

I have a decent idea with the 4-2-3-1 Wide....but that is dinosaur ball! LOL!

6 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

I generally go for a balanced formation and use Attack and Support roles for the AM and Defender to adjust where I want them to attack on the wings usually.

Might eventually move to a more Asymmetrical setup, but I am still trying to get my head around where on the pitch different roles and duties attack in the 5-2-1-2 WB!

I have a decent idea with the 4-2-3-1 Wide....but that is dinosaur ball! LOL!

I’m currently thinking about a two man pivot midfield. After playing Feyenoord away we struggled to play through the press at all and we’re completely dominated! So that’s gave me some work to do tonight.

also I’ve now conceded from 5 corners which I really need to sort out. I think with ODD I only conceded about 10 in the whole game. So potentially the setup doesn’t work as good in this ME. I do lack real headers off the ball in all honesty and my keeper who should be ideal for coming to claim the ball doesn’t seem to want to. So work to be done 

Header.jpg.dfc2603ffcda124f09171a5f77d7301b.jpg

January 2022

241dcf2c7fef4e5cfbd0ece9d03c7b72.png

Only the two games in January, but by far two of the most frustrating ones to date. SC Cambuur took an early lead and scored a late equalizer from a corner but in reality we dominated the game. The FC Utrecht game just completely took my frustration to another level, yet again the better team and we came away completely empty handed as the visitors netted at 83rd minute penalty.

92a788e4755f7acfaa3b4efbb495f0c9.png

Think it's easy to see why I was incredibly frustrated when the header hit the back of the net. Controlled the match for all but two spells, Outperformed their XG from start to finish. A real kick in the teeth even just looking at these pairs of stats alone never mind anything else.

I suppose I had to take positives from performance other than the result  and the big two positives  being the shape of our pass combinations is textbook perfection when it comes to what I'm trying to create perfect diamonds and triangles. Another big plus was the equalizer from Emegha.

e5e7bf0c25846e2f249b86ced8c83f81.gif

Lovely interchanges between the DLP, Mezz, CF, IW and finally the goal scorer. A really well worked goal, the type of goal I want to create again and again. The pattern of laying off and bouncing the ball around until the third man runner can be found between the lines. The off the ball movement is second to none in any goal we have scored this season.

Disclosure here though as the goal scorer is playing as an inverted winger in this moment, and the IWB had been switched to a full back due to the threat of the opponents attacking right winger. This is something I regularly deploy if I am worried about right wingers.

ba35f3e54795561e70daf2c4dea09751.png

Holding on to 4th place but it's starting to look precarious, one point off PSV but only a point in front of Vitesse so it's extremely tight and shows how these fine maragain and costly errors could cost us greatly. Set play cost two points and a penalty cost us at least a point even though I thought all three were deserved. These two results had they went with the better team would see us sit ahead of the mighty PSV.

Behind the top 5 from 6th-10th is still tight as well, if one of these teams could put together a good run they certainly could become involved in the run in for top 4. Ajax continue to motor towards the title but Feyenoord are doing all they can to keep within striking distance. That looks like a fascinating battle in its own right, never mind how tight the rest of the league is.

eaffa4f41d98b2b37ad8da66ce44ba12.png

February is colossal after a dire January and the fixtures are certainly going to ask questions, the Rotterdam derby at De Kuip would be a majestic place to get back to winning ways. Six points from Willem II and Fortuna Sittard are a must as PSV at home is going to be a spectacle especially when they are seeking revanager from our first meeting of the season.

Transfer News

cafe47804af35916e9ec4264fef5427d.png

Busy month for outgoing as 1.6 million Euros in funds are raised with 7 players leaving the club. A few notable sales with Osman being the biggest one, he has however been the biggest disappointment of the seasons and it was time to cash in after a few fall outs with Howedes. Pinto is another who never played well and had a real lack of consistency. Vianello was a decent enough prospect but lacked a few key components for the DNA and Rapid Wien offered us a good deal with potential sell value.

7ea0ed0c6ee7febd9638b42a286f2cde.png

Two arrivals with funds left to spare to allow planning for some pre contract buys. Kerim Calhanoglu arrives from Howedes former club in which he still has a great relationship with. Kolbeinn Þórðarson is a fair bit of outlay but Howedes is looking to the young icelandic man to be the answer to the issue on the right hand side of his midfield three.

f1cf96db0bf0292092950154e37dc92e.png

The young attacking full back from Schalke 04 scores 111 in the DNA ratings, with decisions being a real standout from him, definitely more of a threat than a solid defender but for now he is ideal to bridge the gap until a long term solution is sorted. I couldn't negotiate a future fee so if he does impress it may need to be another long term loan if i want him to stay around.

38316f2fa45de7cd47b3a77c48f2e153.png

Football intelligence is essential when it comes to my philosophy and this young icelandic international has it in abundance, while he may be a little rough around the edges technically he still scores a very impressive 128 in terms of the DNA.

His intelligence was a huge selling point but another massive factor is his ability to press, having several of the desired attributes required made it a lot easier for me to swallow his slightly lower technicals. I do find technicals easier to improve so hopefully he settles in quickly and then begins to grow even more.

The Icelandic Midfielder looks good. You might want to have him work on his balance a bit. Otherwise looks like a fine well-rounded addition to the team.

I am also looking for my midfielders to become more well-rounded because I eventually want to take the ball away as well as soak up pressure like a sponge.

The wingback looks like young Alberto Moreno from attributes.

I wish you quick end to your frustrations.

17 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

The Icelandic Midfielder looks good. You might want to have him work on his balance a bit. Otherwise looks like a fine well-rounded addition to the team.

I am also looking for my midfielders to become more well-rounded because I eventually want to take the ball away as well as soak up pressure like a sponge.

The wingback looks like young Alberto Moreno from attributes.

I wish you quick end to your frustrations.

Definitely far from the finished article but am hoping his intelligence will make him a better fit than what we have.

the frustrations look like there here for another month :idiot:

although the update may now take away my issue with conceding at corners. 

11 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Agree, the Icelandic guy has great mentals.

Hopefully the last league game was just a little blip :thup:

would appear not I have already played the next month and it’s safe to say nearly snapped my laptop in half 😀😀

Edited by SixPointer

7 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Form is temporary, class is permanent. You'll figure it out - as long as the laptop survives :lol:

Very true 🤣 I think I do need to now go down the route of building three systems for certain setups I come up against.

however bar a couple of games I feel we have always been in it more often dominating it seems to be silly goals that are killing me at the minute. 

Laptop is getting bubble wrapped 🤣

Getting tense now. An important month ahead but the squad will be bolstered with the two new arrivals. I’m impressed with the signature of the Icelandic midfielder. At risk of repeating the comments above, he looks excellent mentally. Hopefully he can develop technically relatively quickly and at that point, you have a real asset.

9 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Getting tense now. An important month ahead but the squad will be bolstered with the two new arrivals. I’m impressed with the signature of the Icelandic midfielder. At risk of repeating the comments above, he looks excellent mentally. Hopefully he can develop technically relatively quickly and at that point, you have a real asset.

Hopefully with my general training being linked to the DNA and a good individual program he should develop those technicals quick enough! 

Not the laptop!  You need to improve that form just to save it!

On the Icelandic fellow, agreed on his mentals and ability to press - though his 12 stamina and natural fitness might mean he can't do it for 90mins week in, week out!

1 hour ago, 13th Man said:

Not the laptop!  You need to improve that form just to save it!

On the Icelandic fellow, agreed on his mentals and ability to press - though his 12 stamina and natural fitness might mean he can't do it for 90mins week in, week out!

Right now I’m take him to be able to do it for 45 minutes never mind 90 :lol:

Header.jpg.c6756d8b086780a383d1137691e740cc.jpg

February 2022(graphic intense) :eek:

5034ef1dd98915a491b00f82c0b57e40.png

Battered to a pulp at De Kuip. The ref might have been biased but the scoreline completely flatters us, i knew it would be a big ask as we are on a bad run of inconsistency and Feynopordf are high flying.

Maduka Okoye kept the scoreline respectable with a sublime performance including a penalty save, Thy nailed home a decent goal which is the only two things i can take from this back to the wall display.

d6764367040983f7ccd315f6df919fce.png

Much more like the Sparta Rotterdam that's seen Howedes enjoy a relatively successful transition into management, high possession, free flowing passing football and two great team goals.

The frustration of this result shows that we are more than capable of playing this way. Lennart Thy with a hatrick and the two wide men on assists, a great performance from the front three considering they never had sniff last game.

682efd3e91d4fc6fab4c746fb2097347.gif

CF dropping of linking play into the RPM with his first time pass into the Mezz who slots the ball in behind for the IW who cuts back to cross for a near post volley from the CF. Three passes to take out the defensive line and punish them.

It's everything I want and more, one touch pass and move, overloaded areas, balls played through the lines, CF linking and scoring. The first goal was of a similar style only starting deeper and a headed finish.

2821aef1a64db475829440196a872f8a.png

Fortuna Sittard's record lost 8 drawn 1, 1 point from 27 available. I'd be expecting us to pile on the misery after a resounding 3-1 victory with flowing attacking football, dominating our struggling opponents. Well there was some of that but....

c25e1e74c121a02d08919ed17ee66b23.jpg

b40d956b2c23ad800e0c43da5e50a73f.png

First of all let's get the bad out the way! The above is my defensive setup. The thinking behind the set up is to have my two centre half at the front and back post zonal marking as these are the high risk areas that are often exploited. Then Thy, who is the best header of the ball is asked to zonally mark the far centre allowing the front centre zone for my keeper who has more than suitable attributes for claiming the ball.

The two fullbacks and DM are asked to man mark, effectively using them as blockers giving the zonal men some protection. The two number 8's are asked to close down the corner and edge which helps defensively and offensively as they are positioned to counter, two wide men stay up the pitch forcing the opponent into a 2v2 at the bare minimum.

It's a setup that worked immensely well for me through FM21 so much so it actually became an attacking threat, now I am aware the game changes but surely not so much that it's becoming a season defining issue 7 goals from corners this season at crucial points.

bb0febdb0069258b80aafd78d4d7c40e.gif

The goalscorer coasts into the centre of the goal off the back of Thy and out jumps two of my players. My main issue is why is my goalkeeper not coming out and claiming that ball the area is clear for him to be coming for it. Thy doesn't cover himself in glory as he actually drifts back into his zonal area which i suppose is his job.

So my thinking going forward is possibly to change him to a man mark tall player, but I am worried that it will leave the keeper's area bigger and he isn't coming into the smaller area. Not all seven corners are the same i may add but i find it extremely high and that's only the ones that have gone in. Major analysis and work to be done on my part.

1af85c3d0fa8fd7137511ff3fb0fa5b4.gif

Now for the good, the really good in fact. Another fantastic flowing move, players getting on the ball in between the lines and a great slip through to match the great run from Pflucke coming in off the flank. The CF again showed he can play that link man as well as being the goal getter, i'm falling in love with the role for the style of play. Of course it takes the right player and Thy is capable of it.

Simple but very effective football and one am sure everyone can appreciate my joy seeing the goal being made from the half space and scored from the player attacking it as well. Nice to see the icelander with a nice through ball for his first assist, hopefully the first of many.

ec54ae72da01d08ec13ff0d8f2ce246f.png

PSV pile on the misery for us, giving us a good hiding, again the ref was again rather lenient, it appears the big three get all the decisions. A late goal is usually a tough one to take but the visitors really did deserve the three points, we did battle well but the goal offered very little as the big men from Eindhoven got their revenge.

455653e7a4b56b98566f489cb7754ce2.png

56ec4b71ded540de930b93b68fa8cb3a.png

February proved to be yet another very inconsistent month but we somehow hold onto 4th place. To be fair two of the big three provided the losses so I could well be being harsh cause if the Fortuna Sittard game had been won it would have gone down as a successful month having narrowly lost twice to the big boys.

Thy notching 4 goals in 4 games is a real plus point to go along with three really good team moves which nailed on the attacking philosophy which shows the patterns of play really are starting to form.

Vitesse is up first next month and dare I say it that it looks like a SIXPOINTER in the chase for top 4 and tag of best of the rest! Anything less than three points from Go Ahead Eagles at Home will be a disaster, NEC look incredibly more inconsistent than us as they either win or lose so I would really fancy three points there as well. In simple terms three wins from three really could get this season kicked back on and push us really into that top four.

I have a free weekend this weekend so I should see the season put to bed, but my first to do list is to really look back and pinpoint some of our issues especially conceding silly goals. It's remarkable we still sit third for goals conceded when we haven't hept a clean sheet in six. 41 goals compared to the big three is probably the more alarming stat but when you compare it to the rest of the league it's the best so realistically it's a good season and it's working. I just think the inconsistency and silly goals are frustrating me immensely.

00d780d99bdcf600846f3e7d322d7dc8.png

A bit of positive news to finish up on, the oldest club in Holland is now linked to the oldest professional team as Koninklijke HFC the oldest club who are in the club of pioneers become Sparta Rotterdam the oldest pro clubs haven to send loan players to get experience.

My corners have similar problems, but the biggest issue seems the lack of reactions from my defenders. Not sure what attributes would help to look for better corner defenders.

I also train Set-Pieces almost every week, so I am not sure why we are so bad at them. 

You have fourth in the bag.... believe in your team!

9 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

You need to work on the corners yes that's an ocean of space there in the six yard box. Honestly the default has been working well enough for me :lol:

Btw 4th in the league gets Europa right? What about 5th?

Thing is I don’t mind that space as last fm the goalkeeper would come and collect the ball. 

4th is actually conference league/ European places play off. 

7 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

My corners have similar problems, but the biggest issue seems the lack of reactions from my defenders. Not sure what attributes would help to look for better corner defenders.

I also train Set-Pieces almost every week, so I am not sure why we are so bad at them. 

You have fourth in the bag.... believe in your team!

It’s more frustrating as it was my go to setup. Big game month to be played tonight. 

5 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

A real sixpointer against Vitesse!Good luck there!

It’s certainly is that my friend 

On 09/12/2021 at 22:56, SixPointer said:

February proved to be yet another very inconsistent month but we somehow hold onto 4th place. To be fair two of the big three provided the losses so I could well be being harsh cause if the Fortuna Sittard game had been won it would have gone down as a successful month having narrowly lost twice to the big boys.

Do you think that you're now finding you place within this league? I'm not the biggest Eredivisie fan but didn't really see Sparta as the second or third biggest team - when you have Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord etc!

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Do you think that you're now finding you place within this league? I'm not the biggest Eredivisie fan but didn't really see Sparta as the second or third biggest team - when you have Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord etc!

Ajax PSV and Feyenoord are the big three and by some way! After that there has been several teams that have fluttered with being best of the rest.

FC twente and AZ won titles in the previous decade. But we lead the way in terms of the  eredivisie titles in the best of the rest with 6. Apart from HVV den Haag who aren’t professional who have ten. 

Sparta’s most recent title was 1958 and all others came before the 1920’s. Been abit of a yo-yo club in recent years so am definitely having a good season but I feel it will definitely be a few years till I could consider the big three becoming a big 4. 

A great month for Thy. I can understand your frustrations with defending corners. It does seem to be a much tougher task this year than last to defend them effectively, so I have found. Some adjustments to be made and hopefully you can find the answer. 

I don’t think I have mentioned this previously, but I really enjoy the little video clips you include in your posts. Keep them coming!

Frustrating month, but still solid stuff, especially considering Sparta's reputation level. 

Corners are frustrating, but they're also chaos in real life.  You see good defenders completely seem to switch off all the time.  I'm wondering if they've included more anticipation and such in how well players defend corners?  My strategy (as is often the case) has been based on my playing experience.  One routine I liked personally was a team where we'd put a decent header zonally at the near post then have the CBs mark the tall players.  I use it in FM and it's been pretty good - good header but maybe not great at marking zonally marking the near post, decent header zonally mark the center of goal (often a striker), then CBs mark tall player.  The CBs being the best at marking I want them marking players, while the good headers I ask to attack the ball zonally to clear it.

5 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Frustrating month, but still solid stuff, especially considering Sparta's reputation level. 

Corners are frustrating, but they're also chaos in real life.  You see good defenders completely seem to switch off all the time.  I'm wondering if they've included more anticipation and such in how well players defend corners?  My strategy (as is often the case) has been based on my playing experience.  One routine I liked personally was a team where we'd put a decent header zonally at the near post then have the CBs mark the tall players.  I use it in FM and it's been pretty good - good header but maybe not great at marking zonally marking the near post, decent header zonally mark the center of goal (often a striker), then CBs mark tall player.  The CBs being the best at marking I want them marking players, while the good headers I ask to attack the ball zonally to clear it.

Interesting Ideas I might have to try that in my save.

10 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

A great month for Thy. I can understand your frustrations with defending corners. It does seem to be a much tougher task this year than last to defend them effectively, so I have found. Some adjustments to be made and hopefully you can find the answer. 

I don’t think I have mentioned this previously, but I really enjoy the little video clips you include in your posts. Keep them coming!

Certainly is frustrating i think mainly because this setup previously worked so well for me it's really getting to me. Thanks! I like to share the clips as it's better than me trying to describe something happening on the pitch, especially when it's linked directly to my philosophy and gameplans. I hope it helps engage people in my tactical ideals. Seeing as that's my favorite part of the game.

5 hours ago, 13th Man said:

I love how you're bringing real life into the mix, considering i wasn't the tallest centre mid but had a great leap i tended to be that front post area man especially in my days at Edinburgh city. 
My setup is pretty much from a real life idea, three zones marked across the box front,centre, back then players marking attacking as potential blockers. I do like the thinking that anticipation has a bigger part to play. I suppose that makes sense. The latest goal lost from a corner ( yes another)  which will come in the next update is really a case of the player just not doing his job and sadly it was a young debutant who came on late on.
I will definitely take the ideas you've said when it comes to revolutionizing my defensive corners. For now ive moved Thy into the front post and Nagalo to the middle zone and brought the closing down short player into man mark to add more bodies.

12 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Interesting Ideas I might have to try that in my save.

definitely gives some food for thought

Sorry for a lack of updates this weekend which I was hoping to round up the first season, the weekend started so well getting the next month played on friday night.

Then Saturday morning I received a call from work to say I was to travel back to Norway Sunday as a boat decided it was a good time to lay some pipe in the north sea. The weekend was of course then filled with running around in preparation for that. Arrived safe and well today and now about to start writing the next month, however I will be going on to 12 hour shifts Wednesday when the vessel arrives until around the 23rd then of course it's Christmas so it may be a very stop start for the next while.

Edited by SixPointer

9 hours ago, SixPointer said:

considering i wasn't the tallest centre mid but had a great leap i tended to be that front post area man especially in my days at Edinburgh city.

I actually was the near post man too - which was crazy because I’m 6ft, but that side had five starters that were taller than me. (Yes, we did well at set pieces). I was also, until the end of my illustrious “career” when I was converted to CB, a winger/forward so my marking was iffy. 
Sorry hear that boat spoiled your FM weekend though! Hate it when the real job unexpectedly gets in the way of the FM job!

3 hours ago, 13th Man said:

I actually was the near post man too - which was crazy because I’m 6ft, but that side had five starters that were taller than me. (Yes, we did well at set pieces). I was also, until the end of my illustrious “career” when I was converted to CB, a winger/forward so my marking was iffy. 
Sorry hear that boat spoiled your FM weekend though! Hate it when the real job unexpectedly gets in the way of the FM job!

if only FM was the real job, like @Rikulec

11 hours ago, 13th Man said:

At 6'4 I was definitely on "challenge keeper" duties :lol:

Header.jpg.11433666a3e59eb5bc797168ef31e3fd.jpg

Vitesse(A)

6d46ca03976daa536d2c17c0343c0f7b.png

This sixpointer certainly lived up to the pre match hype, 5 goals, a penalty to go along with two contrasting styles of play which made for an intriguing tactical battle, the only real thing missing was a sending off. Sparta dominated the ball and completed more passes than Vitesse attempted but they certainly countered effectively and created good chances themselves. The XG is of course affected by their penalty which can be misleading. The fact it was a great game and I deployed a second system I've been working on I decided it would be good to do a dull write up.

1b0a43bd5ec8587d705a6953acb16646.png

This is the system I chose to deploy for the game. My Salida style and with it being set up on a positive mentality it's slightly less gung ho and potentially suits away games more. With changing to positive I had to change some team instructions slightly to offset for the changes from stepping down from attacking, I've asked for more width and creeped the defensive line up one notch just to balance it closer to our desired style.

Having been frustrated against PSV at our inability to beat the first line of the press, I shifted to a salida lavolpiana type shape for build up proficiency. For anyone who isn't familiar with this term it essentially means  the wing backs push higher up, the center backs split wider and the half back drops in which allows us to overload the first line of the press.

Moving forward a switch to the midfield two as I go double Mezzala with the dutys switched, the thinking is to stretch the middle of the pitch  and dominate the half spaces which should see them link well with the now advancing wing backs and inverted wingers. In terms of the build up this should also help as the centre backs should be in line with them in the half space which adds to the options to play through the lines.

The final switches are on the flanks where dual inverted wingers operate with the attacking duties off set to the midfield two again helping to create half spaces domination, but should help create more variation and keep players sitting on different lines and zones again increasing the passing options.

Now with wing backs deployed this should help overload the flanks greatly providing the width and the out ball from the half space which will help in an attacking sense but also having wing backs for certain games can help cut out certain threats. Something I noticed in the other system was full backs and wingers were getting somewhat of a free reign to attack the fullbacks so my thinking was to try to pin them higher up.

Something that would be crucial against Vitesse whos wings backs attacked specialty the right side this meant our attack duty IW would leave him in a dilemma either he attacks and leaves the space for us to exploit or he has to be wary and becomes less of a threat. A battle of the wits.

01368e21d26d0f62cc45208cf23c305a.png

Stepping back into the match, the passing combinations are pleasing on the eye, in particular the left hand side of the system which forms perfect diamonds and triangles with lots of options all on different horizontal or vertical lines of the pitch.

The right hand side suffered slightly with the IW not getting as high up the pitch as I would potentially like. This in the future could lead to a double attack duty on this side with a defensive wing back behind. It does however create that variation and the IW dragged players out of position to create space so all in all I'm happy for the time being.

Now both being mezzala’s has seen them really spread into the half spaces which has opened up the centre of the pitch for the HB to effect the game and after breaking the first line of the press with combinations he now has space to operate in. Brunic has taken to the half back role perfectly as he makes 189 passes linking play well and combining with all his teammates. Finding himself at the bottom of the main diamond allows him to really influence play and become the conductor.

The second side shows the passing combinations between the two midfield 8's, the distance between them and both players' passing ability has made it lethal for each other to be the option for the switch of play between each other. Rather than switching to the flank it's now being switched between the half spaces which possess less risk of incompletion but still very effective in changing the attacking dynamic which pays off in terms of the goals we are about to explore.

f074142519d6a14cbdc37e79f3175072.png

Special mention to @MattyLewis11 whose use of these graphics in his betis thread allows me to help describe goals in more depth and helps give a greater overview than just a short clip isolated on its own.

The first goal shows how the ball can be worked across the pitch with shorter passes, it is however the two mezzalas 10-08 that provides the first switch of play as the ball comes from right to left. When received on the left ball is worked down the line into an overload before the Mezzala switches the play to the other in the other half space for his center mid partner to drive home.

5be371bec267445dc57984f7f2adcdd7.jpg

In the overview of the move I think this is the crucial point. The white square shows the overload being formed which has dragged the RCB number 3 out of line with his partner who is now left 1v1. The yellow box is perhaps more important here as it displays how the opposite flank keeps its width and creates vast numerical superiority if they play was to be switched. The inverted winger is on the far side and is dragging the wing back towards him which is opening up the half space and the gap between CB and WB. This leaves space for No10 the iceman to attack.

c94401aef41385e2e8b064207f73ba1b.gif

Supreme positional play dragging the opponent out of position by drawing them to the ball on one side and punishing on the other. The pass is flawless and so is the run from deep and the finish is exquisite, but the one thing that's crucial to the whole thing. The Inverted winger (8) holding his width in the half space dragging the WB out and opening up the space. Having the player instruction stay wider is the result of this, stretching the play and opening up gaps between the lines. It's a huge ploy of Pep you often see Mahrez and Co doing it very similar.

fa511e93086e0acb965aac57fc114e4d.png

The second goal is more direct in the sense that after play is switched its only two passes until the mezzala who provided the first goal now applies the finish on the second move. There is a clear pass combination in the right half space to draw the opponent in before the Mezzala looks for his partner in the opposite half space. The CF is used as a great springboard and collects his first assist of the season.

fd827621cf9b775ecc8117f1648910b7.jpg

The second goal is more direct in the sense that after play is switched its only two passes until the mezzala who provided the first goal now applies the finish on the second move. There is a clear pass combination in the right half space to draw the opponent in before the Mezzala looks for his partner in the opposite half space. The CF is used as a great springboard and collects his first assist of the season.

The width in the shot is integral to opening up the opponent, with a 2v2 and 2v1 on each flank the defense is left with many dilemmas. The distance between the Mezzala’s is perfect although it's not a great clear passing route it does offer that link between half space and half space. No 7 has moved nicely off the back of the 17 (RW) and has completely escaped the attention of the CM no 10 who is being attracted to the ball.

f9f441d0a9b8094be0fbdf9b9ab6eafe.gif

The iceman plays a wonderful ball into Mijnans breaking the lines and now he is running at the CB he however opts for a one-two with the CF who plays him and on goal and he rifles home into the far corner. Again the unsung hero could well be the IW (18) who again holds his width until the last minute which draws the attention of the RWB (2) until the last minute when he finally goes narrow but it's too late by this point. Drawing the opponent and with three passes getting in behind and smashing it home.

b27a301ba3bf3854e49bd5a53689cb07.gif

The third goal i won't dissect or draw lines or blab on too much, mainly because it's a real work of art and does not warrant my mundane explanations. Everything clicks and it's a real enjoyable moment for myself as I feel this is possibly the best team move I've made since this tactical project began away back in FM21 with ruch.

The ball is shifted from right to left dragging the opponent all over the place. The half space overload on the works wonders before an excellent third man run sees us in behind the defensive line, a swift cut back and finish is applied to cap a fantastic team move with all components of the attacking play coming together.

b5830fd5aead328cd66222b542c5f6d9.gif

Of course it wasn't all perfect and it wouldn't be Benedikt Howedes Sparta Roterdam if the bad didn't involve a corner. This time Mbi gave away a penalty after handling, so now even when players are positioned correctly they just decided to throw hands at things. This is all while training to defend corners twice a week. and guess what, that's not the end of the corner saga.....

Edited by SixPointer

Excellent use of the previous events images to dissect your goals, I must say the diversity in your build up play is exceptional, no wonder the opposition are all over the gaff.

5 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Supreme positional play dragging the opponent out of position by drawing them to the ball on one side and punishing on the other.

This one resonates well with me, thanks for the shout out I am happy that I have inspired you to create your own analysis and you have done an exceptional job. 

8 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Six pointer with the six pointer :brock:

Great goals and analysis though. 

This formation is similar to mine and the mezzalla is working a treat. However I am having a tough time getting IWs to play as desired though. They never seem to cut in. 

Thanks my man!

The system I played in this game was it first full run out. Although it’s very similar to Ruch last year. The big change is at Ruch I opted for wingers as I found the IW did do what I wanted. 

this year however I’ve added stay wider and cross less often and they are now providing more cutbacks and goals. Running on the back of full backs etc. 
As for cutting in I would recommended training ppm cut inside. Pflucke has by far been the best for cutting in and he has ppm cuts inside from both wings. 

4 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Excellent use of the previous events images to dissect your goals, I must say the diversity in your build up play is exceptional, no wonder the opposition are all over the gaff.

This one resonates well with me, thanks for the shout out I am happy that I have inspired you to create your own analysis and you have done an exceptional job. 

Thanks bud. My main aim is to create variation within my structure. Although roles could be deemed as symmetrical I feel with the different duties placed correctly it’s offering me enough variation. In the end I should have 3 tactics which all have the same core ideas but have slight variation that stops certain opponents and creates more havoc for others.

The key is overloads which I could easily make three and have a right, left and centre but I would rather have each system capable of overloading multiple areas. That tactical side will only grow. I feel I now probably have two systems within my 433dm once I have a third I’ll potentially looking for a slight change in formation.

4 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I like that explaination of movement. Very well executed.

Thanks bud. Tactics and game plans are definitely my favourite part of the game so I like to try share as much as possible. 

3 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Does your formation play like 4-1-4-1 with the two mezzallas?

Great analysis work about how the team is playing.

Corners are a problem.... but I fixed MOST but not all by adding a 6'6" (195cm) CB with 15 heading and jumping.

This new system sits more like a 343. With the two mezzala bursting beyond as runners and the HB making a three with the CB. 

1 hour ago, Sheriff7 said:

Great results and analysis.:applause:

Thanks very much! Was a hugely important game and the result. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks my man!

The system I played in this game was it first full run out. Although it’s very similar to Ruch last year. The big change is at Ruch I opted for wingers as I found the IW did do what I wanted. 

this year however I’ve added stay wider and cross less often and they are now providing more cutbacks and goals. Running on the back of full backs etc. 
As for cutting in I would recommended training ppm cut inside. Pflucke has by far been the best for cutting in and he has ppm cuts inside from both wings. 

Thanks bud. My main aim is to create variation within my structure. Although roles could be deemed as symmetrical I feel with the different duties placed correctly it’s offering me enough variation. In the end I should have 3 tactics which all have the same core ideas but have slight variation that stops certain opponents and creates more havoc for others.

The key is overloads which I could easily make three and have a right, left and centre but I would rather have each system capable of overloading multiple areas. That tactical side will only grow. I feel I now probably have two systems within my 433dm once I have a third I’ll potentially looking for a slight change in formation.

Thanks bud. Tactics and game plans are definitely my favourite part of the game so I like to try share as much as possible. 

This new system sits more like a 343. With the two mezzala bursting beyond as runners and the HB making a three with the CB. 

Thanks very much! Was a hugely important game and the result. 

Thanks I will try that for my inverted wingers too. I tend to not add too many individual instructions generally.