*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

I've always played clean slate tactic, 2-4 tweaks and BOOM! serial champions ;) 

people doubt the true power of blank-slate tactics in this game and it really shows in these types of threads! 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, teej9 said:

If this version has proved anything it is to never change from Gegenpress. Most of the folks that absolutely hate FM22, me very much included, desperately want to play anything other than gegenpress. But you cannot. It is inevitable

I've not played gegenpress once in this FM. I have very much a non-press defensive formation. I have taken Weymouth clear of the relegation places in the NL. I was odds on for relegation.

It's been hard, but proves that you are wrong and that gegenpress is not the only option.

I will actually add that I tend to do worse when I go very attacking. I also find compressing the pitch to be very strong. Sitting my forward line back and my defence a little higher.

Don't post generalities because you end up looking foolish when people prove you wrong. If you hate the game so much why do you keep coming on here to tell us about it?

Edited by anagain

6 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

Lol, of couse you can play whatever setup you want, what an extremely odd statement, you hate fm22 because you think you have to play gegenpress? I've always played clean slate tactic, 2-4 tweaks and BOOM! serial champions ;) 

Yes, you are correct. I meant you literally cannot choose anything else. Don't be obtuse.

High pressing, utterly insane tactics are better than actual real world tactics. The fact that there will always be a in game meta to attack is the issue. Pre patch, I felt that you could actually play in varying styles and could avoid the meta and still have something dynamic and fun. Now, you either hit the spreadsheet targets and play a real world system, or you play a 2-1-4-3 with every single player on attack and have an objectively better chance to win than with your balanced 4141. There has to be a middle ground. 

54 minutes ago, teej9 said:

If this version has proved anything it is to never change from Gegenpress. Most of the folks that absolutely hate FM22, me very much included, desperately want to play anything other than gegenpress. But you cannot. It is inevitable

@DarJcreated a low LOE tactic without heavy pressing that worked wonders. Have a look at his thread here:

This is the tactic:

2024998744_chigoball442.png.26b71e599e423b94d7aacbe42e11d410.png

Sure, it has counterpress, but no gung ho pressing and extremely high LOE or anything. Just a solid basic tactic created from a set of principles he decided on. So, no, you must not play X, Y, or Z to win.

2 minutes ago, anagain said:

I've not played gegenpress once in this FM. I have very much a non-press defensive formation. I have taken Weymouth clear of the relegation places in the NL. I was odds on for relegation.

It's been hard, but proves that you are wrong and that gegenpress is not the only option.

I will actually add that I tend to do worse when I go very attacking. I also find compressing the pitch to be very strong. Sitting my forward line back and my defence a little higher.

Don't post generalities because you end up looking foolish when people prove you wrong.

The neat thing is I am always posting my opinion which is my opinion alone. It's not fact and I have never stated it is. 

2 minutes ago, teej9 said:

The neat thing is I am always posting my opinion which is my opinion alone. It's not fact and I have never stated it is. 

1 hour ago, teej9 said:

Looks to me like you are trying to state fact. Proved? Inevitable? It's not inevitable, is it?

44 minutes ago, teej9 said:

Yes, you are correct. I meant you literally cannot choose anything else. Don't be obtuse.

High pressing, utterly insane tactics are better than actual real world tactics. The fact that there will always be a in game meta to attack is the issue. Pre patch, I felt that you could actually play in varying styles and could avoid the meta and still have something dynamic and fun. Now, you either hit the spreadsheet targets and play a real world system, or you play a 2-1-4-3 with every single player on attack and have an objectively better chance to win than with your balanced 4141. There has to be a middle ground. 

I understood your first point, not as if any other tactic is greyed out/not chooseable.

But I dont understand why you cant just create whatever tactic you feel like and go with that even tho you know a say crazy 2-1-7 gegenpress beats the game?

As long as you find a way to score goals you can win with any tactic!

So here's two pictures. The first one is my match screen before the game and how I want it to look. Whenever I leave the fixture and come back it automatically changes to the second picture. I've tried reinstalling the skin, clearing cache, unticking automatically override custom panels, deleting the cache folder itself but it still keeps doing it. Has anybody got any idea how to resolve it?

511998748_matchview1.thumb.jpg.aaab0046ad8330a208f3b3902ac4e6e1.jpg568118319_matchview2.thumb.jpg.564be67282167cb62cb79ec9e164515d.jpg

Is Serie A having financial issues? I've been finding some good players there willing to go on loan to my team (Sporting CP) and all are coming in with reasonable optional future fees. 

The idea that Gegenpressing is neccessary is hilarious to me. I've had great success with a low block in the past two versions of FM. I'll admit that Gegenpressing seemed a little OP in prior versions of FM, but I haven't noticed as much in recent versions. Your players' fitness seems like a much more important factor than it was beofore.

jeopardy.png

6 hours ago, Murtiniiii said:

So here's two pictures. The first one is my match screen before the game and how I want it to look. Whenever I leave the fixture and come back it automatically changes to the second picture. I've tried reinstalling the skin, clearing cache, unticking automatically override custom panels, deleting the cache folder itself but it still keeps doing it. Has anybody got any idea how to resolve it?

511998748_matchview1.thumb.jpg.aaab0046ad8330a208f3b3902ac4e6e1.jpg568118319_matchview2.thumb.jpg.564be67282167cb62cb79ec9e164515d.jpg

Preference ... Interface ... then untick the Auto overide custom box ... then save 

BWM - S, with much more often team instructions for trigger press, no option to adjust the press individual instruction beyond Balanced. However a PF - A is on More Often. Feel like it should be one or the other when on the highest team instruction for pressing. Would hope I could tell my BWM to press as much as a PF.

Trequartista has a higher individual pressing instruction than a AP or AM in the same position. Seems wrong.

Edited by Thalo

1 hour ago, Thalo said:

BWM - S, with much more often team instructions for trigger press, no option to adjust the press individual instruction beyond Balanced. However a PF - A is on More Often. Feel like it should be one or the other when on the highest team instruction for pressing. Would hope I could tell my BWM to press as much as a PF.

Trequartista has a higher individual pressing instruction than a AP or AM in the same position. Seems wrong.

Do you want him to be pressing up into the opponents penalty area?

8 minutes ago, Os said:

Do you want him to be pressing up into the opponents penalty area?

No, but I don't want my PF pressing into my or the opponents penalty area either. Playing a low block, with high pressing once it's triggered, none of my players should be pressing into the opponents penalty area.

Edited by Thalo

16 hours ago, teej9 said:

I have never played gegenpress and I always play a very slow tempo possession game and I have no issue winning. 

13 hours ago, Boydy9 said:

First game for a few days and forgot I would auto update to 2.2, now it seems my wingers have forgotten how to play football and create chances. Very disappointing, can't buy a goal now

I experienced the same, Birmingham City save, 442 formation with two big forwards my tactic was get it out wide and cross to the big men....doesn't work at all now.

2 hours ago, Thalo said:

but I don't want my PF pressing into my or the opponents penalty area either. Playing a low block, with high pressing once it's triggered, none of my players should be pressing into the opponents penalty area.

They don't do that

2 hours ago, Jonthedon26 said:

I experienced the same, Birmingham City save, 442 formation with two big forwards my tactic was get it out wide and cross to the big men....doesn't work at all now.

Please SI whatever you did for 2.2 can it be undone please ? before I was seeing some great play by my team, byeline crosses, deep crosses, wide through balls, straight through balls, possession football, 12's everything and it was perfect.
Now ? Repeat of the same highlight where a straight through ball goes to a striker and he either misses or scores, for either team. Matches seem pointless now and may as well be a coin toss.

Edited by Boydy9
typo

Also would it be difficult to give us the option to wait till end of season before updating ? 2.2 installed just after the transfer window closed so now I have a team set up to play a way that is no longer successful and by the time i tweak tactics and get the required players my save could be ruined, through no fault of my own.

On 13/12/2021 at 14:12, KingCanary said:

Not sure if I'm missing something or its a bug but despite being set to stay back, one of my central defenders is always in the opposition penalty area when we get an attacking throw-in. My team don't have a player for long throws, all our throw ins go short so there is no need for him to be up there but without fail he is and it leaves me horribly exposed on the counter.

OK so just to add to this, set piece instructions just seem broken at this point. I just conceded a goal from a free kick when my team was set up like this...

image.thumb.png.5d4dba5d6ea55b37f062ed28040b79cc.png

No team in the history of football sets up to defend a set piece like this in this manner. There is no wall (despite having players in the instructions set to form a wall) and a totally unmarked player at the near post. So of course Pulisic just plays it low, his man has a free run at the near post and bangs it in. What is the point in setting set piece instructions if they just get ignored?

9 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

No team in the history of football sets up to defend a set piece like this in this manner. There is no wall (despite having players in the instructions set to form a wall) and a totally unmarked player at the near post. So of course Pulisic just plays it low, his man has a free run at the near post and bangs it in. What is the point in setting set piece instructions if they just get ignored?

There wouldn't be a wall because it's basically a corner in this case. The positioning isn't great though, so would be worth reporting in the bug tracker.

I've noticed that in La Liga clubs (tested with Barcelona and Athletic) there is no option to make your assistant responsible for press conferences, you can choose only  between your coaches (GK coach, etc.). In other leagues you can set your assistant to do it. Is it a bug?

I have been so occupied with the other UI issues that I haven't noticed that the schedule still do not show my next fixture, but rather resets to the top of the list. Since it haven'nt been fixed for, like, five years, is it by design? Or should I report it as a bug again? If it is a bug that SI can't fix I am a bit worried that the new UI issues won't get fixed either.

No intentional bleating, I think it's a valid concern.

The point that has been so spectacularly missed here is that Gegenpressing makes it easy to over-achieve / win without having to think carefully about your set-up or player quality.

I don't doubt that it is possible to be successful with lower blocks or counter systems, but my word do they have to be set up well.

The success of Gegenpressing just cheapens the game and seriously harms its credibility as a simulation of football. Nic Madden made a big statement about plug and play Gegenpress being a thing of the past, but the prominent YouTubers have absolutely smashed that claim. So much so it makes me sick to even watch their series anymore. 

Edited by rdbayly

1 hour ago, rdbayly said:

The point that has been so spectacularly missed here is that Gegenpressing makes it easy to over-achieve / win without having to think carefully about your set-up or player quality.

I don't doubt that it is possible to be successful with lower blocks or counter systems, but my word do they have to be set up well.

The success of Gegenpressing just cheapens the game and seriously harms its credibility as a simulation of football. Nic Madden made a big statement about plug and play Gegenpress being a thing of the past, but the prominent YouTubers have absolutely smashed that claim. So much so it makes me sick to even watch their series anymore. 

I hate gengenpress as much as the next guy but currently ALL top sides play with a high pressing game....the reason is it works....

Maybe not full on gengenpress but s high press for sure.  Can it be beat?

Of course in IRL football you beat a high press by not playing from the back, this is why big Targetmen are coming back in IRL football meta, so your keeper can hoof it long every time the opposition attempts a high press...

On FM21 I had some success in beating the high press of Liverpool, Real and City by dropping the play out of defense and instructing the team to hoof it to Ibra..

After a couple of seasons when you get world class players you can afford to play out of defense even when against high press since payers can keep the ball in possession..

Also trait Tries to play out of trouble helps a lot for playing from the back even against a high press.

Edited by FM1000

14 hours ago, alian62 said:

Preference ... Interface ... then untick the Auto overide custom box ... then save 

As I said already tried unticking it but still does it. Hopefully it's an FM issue and not a skin issue. I love rensie's skin and don't really enjoy using any others.

I'm going to comment here on situations that are happening a lot in the game:
There is still a lot going on in which the player is injured and falls, gets up and falls right away (totally ridiculous)... Another situation that is causing me total discouragement in the game is the defender is in possession of the ball and can shoot forward he kicks for corner for no reason.
I'm playing in extended mode and I'm seeing a lot of impediments from both my team and the opponent, this could be better adjusted.

I believe the game is very good... but in fact the lack of dribbling (players who have preferred movement attributes and even set to dribble more) doesn't appear in the game. I think the game's dynamics are a little robotic and can be more fluid like it was in Beta.

2 hours ago, Leon_fogo said:

I'm going to comment here on situations that are happening a lot in the game:
There is still a lot going on in which the player is injured and falls, gets up and falls right away (totally ridiculous)... Another situation that is causing me total discouragement in the game is the defender is in possession of the ball and can shoot forward he kicks for corner for no reason.
I'm playing in extended mode and I'm seeing a lot of impediments from both my team and the opponent, this could be better adjusted.

I believe the game is very good... but in fact the lack of dribbling (players who have preferred movement attributes and even set to dribble more) doesn't appear in the game. I think the game's dynamics are a little robotic and can be more fluid like it was in Beta.

My players dribble a lot as I have it set up in my instructions.  As for falling i have not personally come across that scenario . What I do find is how things differ from player to player in relation to their ME . I also have no issues with IF or IW yet people complain about it . I dont play top leagues though so not sure if that makes a difference to the opposition being stronger 

7 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Agreed totally, however I think gegenpressing being the set and forget is a result of attacking tactics seemingly being the meta setup for FM. Even some of the non-gegenpress examples posted in this thread are still using Positive/Balanced team mentalities where the D-Line and Pressing will be higher by default. I've seen many people enjoy success with Vertical Tiki Taka or Wing Play with Attacking mentality too.

One look in the downloadable tactics section and it's all gung-ho attacking tactics, as it has been for years which gives some legitimacy to your point that there's little to no thought into how to be successful at the game. This year moved in the right direction with the stanima/decisions nerf, but it's still quite easily solved by ensuring you have two XIs with a bit of squad management.

Whilst I don't doubt defensive/counter tactics can work well, the meta that works for the casual player is still very much attacking.

Edited by Deego619

Quick observation I am almost 8 seasons in and there is a BIG problem

All AI controlled teams average age is 30 or 30+. From top 10 teams in the world the only one that has a REGEN in first squad is Juventus.  I mean Liverpool attack is 39 Lewandowksi 35 Salah 29 Mbappe.

Real MAdrid average age is 31 their youngest first team player is Vinicious Junior. Chelsea youngest is Fofana 27. The only one using regens is my team 

10 hours ago, rdbayly said:

While i think Gegenpress is OP, it is nerfed by the fact that u literally cannot only play Gegenpress throughout the season without fatigue and injury this game (unless u use IGE). Whenever i try Gegenpress in fm22 for a weekend game, almost always, my players are too tired to gegenpress on a midweek game again. This makes gegenpress an impractical long term tactic for smaller teams (meaning plug and play is less effective) without depth and stamina. I feel that control possesion/tiki taka is a much more practical tactical style for this years football manager

Edited by Alfredo James

13 hours ago, rdbayly said:

100% agree.  If you are playing a low block or counter system, there is a lot less margin for error.  I remember in FM21 I was trying to do this and couldn't get a win.  I posted in the tactics forum and ED advised me to switch my DLP from the right side of the midfield two to the left - and bingo, it started working.  Getting one thing wrong can destroy you.

Of course, just set everything to max - which with mid-lower table teams should come with a heavy penalty - and you walk the league.  I'm a Southampton fan - we press high and you can see from the league table how that's working with our quality of players.  When we play a super high line, people get in behind.  If we don't win the ball when pressing high, teams play out of it and then we're short at the back (see the Arsenal game).  In FM with an exploit tactic, we'd be top of the league.

As you say, Nic Madden's claim that plug and play Gegenpress was a thing of the past was false.

I guess if people are enjoying playing with those tactics, then fine - but it just feels like a massive exploit that isn't being closed off by SI.  Maybe they just don't want to lose a massive percentage of their customers if the game suddenly became too hard.  Creating any old tactic is easy.  Creating a tactic that works is hard.  That's why so many people just download one and go.  Just don't make it a selling point when it's clearly not.

Regen-fullbacks and attackers still has very low stats in crossing/finishing for me. That is something that is ”breaking” it for me. Still prices overall is to high for players, and it might have getting a bit better with the low and pathetic offers but its still pretty bad. 30+ players not declining is better tho. Wingers/inside forwards scores more, thats good, but still movement is not the best. Alot of shots in the bar…

jalla sigames and fix this:)

1 hour ago, properdisco said:

Something needs to be done about club vision creeping up in importance every year and being totally non-negotiable:

I do not play with a defensive/counter-attacking tactic in this save, and those top two parts of the culture were not there at the beginning of the save. I can only think they've been added because we keep getting promoted, therefore we generally concede less goals than other teams in our league, but we are NOT defensive, and now I've been promoted for the third time, the "defensively solid football" bit is now 'required'. I just about passed these the last two seasons, but I would like to stop feeling like I could lose my job at any minute directly after getting promoted. After what I've delivered, taking them from 5th to 2nd tier, my footballing preferences should not be questioned so much and have things enforced upon it by the board, of course EVERY single part of club vision is utterly non-negotiable, even when it's only listed as 'favoured'. Our biggest trademarks on the pitch are our high pressing and our short passing, then maybe third it's set pieces, why does FM want it to be defending and counters so much? Please look at these as they're getting worse/less how I want to play each season

The worst thing about the visions is how they're implemented like this.

Realistically if you've been at a club for 5+ years you should be allowed more and more input into them yourself, but in reality you never get any input at all really and the board will implement ones based on the last season and nothing else!

38 minutes ago, ACDBEFV said:

The worst thing about the visions is how they're implemented like this.

Realistically if you've been at a club for 5+ years you should be allowed more and more input into them yourself, but in reality you never get any input at all really and the board will implement ones based on the last season and nothing else!

My personal experience with this is that the board slowly changes the vision based on who you do, IF you perform well. As I said here before I mainly play youth-only saves, and after 4-5 seasons the board has, without exception, added the develop youth players vision. It has also slowly turned into the playing style I use, if I use one tactic consistently. Currently I'm 2 seasons in my newest save and this is how it is now:

dAa02hY.png

I don't play defensive, or use set pieces, and I sure don't sign players at all so this is expected. This looks bad, right?

NOSEz7j.png

Well, I'm still very safe in my job, and the board are "very pleased" with what I do, since I perform well on the pitch (that 5-1 defeat aside....). And those visions has been there since I took over, but at that point they were of a higher importance. The board has added counter attacking football, which I do play. So slowly the club culture is changing into what I bring to the club.

I loaded up my previous save (in 2037) where I had been in charge for a long while and there I have the following:

i2Gj27V.png

So that fits my handling of the club much more, and if I manage to bring my current club to anything resembling success, I expect to see something similar as this.

6 hours ago, martin.folkesson said:

Regen-fullbacks and attackers still has very low stats in crossing/finishing for me. That is something that is ”breaking” it for me. Still prices overall is to high for players, and it might have getting a bit better with the low and pathetic offers but its still pretty bad. 30+ players not declining is better tho. Wingers/inside forwards scores more, thats good, but still movement is not the best. Alot of shots in the bar…

jalla sigames and fix this:)

Go to Brazil to sign offensive fullbacks, or Italy for defensive ones.

8 hours ago, XaW said:

My personal experience with this is that the board slowly changes the vision based on who you do, IF you perform well. As I said here before I mainly play youth-only saves, and after 4-5 seasons the board has, without exception, added the develop youth players vision. It has also slowly turned into the playing style I use, if I use one tactic consistently. Currently I'm 2 seasons in my newest save and this is how it is now:

dAa02hY.png

I don't play defensive, or use set pieces, and I sure don't sign players at all so this is expected. This looks bad, right?

NOSEz7j.png

Well, I'm still very safe in my job, and the board are "very pleased" with what I do, since I perform well on the pitch (that 5-1 defeat aside....). And those visions has been there since I took over, but at that point they were of a higher importance. The board has added counter attacking football, which I do play. So slowly the club culture is changing into what I bring to the club.

I loaded up my previous save (in 2037) where I had been in charge for a long while and there I have the following:

i2Gj27V.png

So that fits my handling of the club much more, and if I manage to bring my current club to anything resembling success, I expect to see something similar as this.

It's interesting then that despite only getting 'satisfied' or 'slightly disappointed' on one of the culture requirements previously they've increased the importance of it. My tactics do have the counter button on as I have good runners in the team, so I guess that explains why that's there, but I would say there were too many high-scoring games to reasonable expect defensively solid football in the next division up, with all those Premier League parachute payment budgets... I do have a hunch it's just looked at the goals conceded compared to others in my 3 promotion campaigns and said "defensive", when I think by year 3 they should have noticed the importance of the pressing and passing if it's as adaptable as you say. I do enjoy doing journeyman campaigns and trying to adapt to the pre-existing club cultures, but when I started with a blank slate I don't really like these strange additions.

Ultimately I think I'll be ok as I think I can surpass the league expectation of fighting relegation bravely, this is just a bit of a complicating factor

Edited by properdisco

On 15/12/2021 at 15:22, HUNT3R said:

There wouldn't be a wall because it's basically a corner in this case. The positioning isn't great though, so would be worth reporting in the bug tracker.

Even without a full wall I'd expect there to be one player just in that circled area just to cut off the chance to hit it in low as they did. 

Is Barca a meme at this stage in FM? Youngster 18 years old, never played a game for the first team wants new contract. BAM gimme 90k pw. Yeah, no. Here is the transfer list instead son.

Seriously though managing Barca every two bit players asks for insane wages, once you transfer them to a PL club their wages are completely back to sane levels, why is that?

9 hours ago, properdisco said:

but I would say there were too many high-scoring games to reasonable expect defensively solid football in the next division up

defensive football just means don't concede a lot of goals it has nothing to do with your team mentality or how you set up