*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

4 hours ago, KingCanary said:

One thing I have seen is goals that are obviously onside being referred to VAR- it basically seems like if any part of the attacker is level with any part of the last defender it'll go to VAR even if the attacker was clearly onside. Had one recently where the goal came from a corner and there was clearly a line of three defenders all playing the attacker on but it still had to be VAR checked. Feels excessive.

So having played on more I'm going to say VAR is hugely excessive in what I've seen. I don't think I've had a single game yet without a VAR decision at some point and most games have at least two or three, even if they are staggeringly obvious, like players being about 7 or 8 yards offside.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.thumb.png.8508100252fc68c95414fdf7a8fe113c.png

When playing the post-split SPL - I am able to select players I have out on loan, as shown by this screenshot from my mid-match tactics screen.

I have checked and the two clubs these players are out on loan to (Scottish Championship and VNL) have no further matches to play. Is it correct therefore that IRL I could play them despite them still being out on loan.

If so, then no-harm no foul, but shouldn't the loan show as ended?

image.png.01be427a7fafff77b79fd93bea510602.png

Edited by Theodore Twombly

15 minutes ago, Theodore Twombly said:

image.thumb.png.8508100252fc68c95414fdf7a8fe113c.png

When playing the post-split SPL - I am able to select players I have out on loan, as shown by this screenshot from my mid-match tactics screen.

I have checked and the two clubs these players are out on loan to (Scottish Championship and VNL) have no further matches to play. Is it correct therefore that IRL I could play them despite them still being out on loan.

If so, then no-harm no foul, but shouldn't the loan show as ended?

image.png.01be427a7fafff77b79fd93bea510602.png

The players should not return to the parent club till the date that the contract expires.

Anyone else notice they're getting a lot of penalties and scoring a lot from corners?

As Man Utd, I feel like i nearly get a penalty every other game and im consistently scoring from near post corners (Ronaldo + CB at near post)

Doesn't necessarily feel like an exploit but it's definitely higher than it should be.

I enjoy many aspects of the ME, the above probably just needs tweaking, maybe along with balls over the top.

Out of interest, is it possible to see how many penalties/corners i've been awarded/scored?

Im trying to enjoy the game, which i can do more in comparison to last years FM21. Squad building, and enjoy watching a game on extend. highlights. Last year it was set pieces all the time sadly. Anyway, there are good things to the game, but i have more complaints on some things which makes me sad. 

First of all, the many bugs, its crazy. I also seen some offside goals given, or onside goal not given, Var check fails bigtime. And cool we can put it in the bugs (and i did) but cant we expect a solid game and not after the release we customers still need to find bugs and have to place them here etc.. I mean we are not testers or whatever but customers who expect to buy an (end) game. 

Or not giving 2D its attention where many fm lovers like to play with, i mean every year it goes downhill with that. 

Or the game being released, while alot of data is not up to date anymore because the season already started, but also a lot of figures being not right. Seeing Fede, or Rodrygo having a new contract, u think fine, but their release clause is awful low, so u cant renew them but big clubs can snatch them and nothing u can do about it. 

I feel like SI is losing to much attention on other things which has been a new business model to earn money, like the mobile version came in, Xbox etc. And fine, but isnt it being to much now? While losing focus or not having enough time or manpower to make a solid game without that much bugs etc. So oke, u get more money but is that all about? Why not focus on the core, and alot of Fm'ers are nostalgic gamers so we still gonna play it (and because of having no real competition out there) but it feels for me that this aint the way to go. Its sad but its what i feel atm.

20 hours ago, Wilsjay27 said:

And this is why i still play on commentary only and always have. I have no idea if my inside forwards are cutting inside like they should or not. So i have no issues with ME at all.

Whilst I understand it is not ideal for a lot of people, this is exactly how I play. Due to time constraints I only ever play with commentary only (watch goals after the game ends) and rely on match stats/analysis/results to determine if the team are playing well and doing what I am expecting them to do in my head. I have also found that it has no real hinderance on overall performance as I seem to do relatively well playing that way.

It's funny because I seem to have way more fun than most on here by not using one of the main functions of the game (3d match engine). It definitely shouldn't be that way, and hopefully something will be done about the way the ME plays out so that everyone can enjoy it as much as I do. 

I know there was topic about that, but I cant find it.

I just test the game with FC Barcelona, and after first season Memphis Depay is marked as a legend of the club, ahead of Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, LE, Pique, Ronaldinho etc. 

He won League, Cup, and get rekt by Liverpool on CL semi final. Scored 60g in 48m. The game just trying to tell me this one (good but not great) season is better than duble treble? wasy ahead of Suarez who is just liked, not even a star?

I understand it could be happend on idk...Villarreal, or similar club with no history, but at Barca it seems like a bug for me. Especially given FM2021 where I can't get a legend status after winning league and CL multiple times with Saragossa.

Currently 4-0 up against Leeds United (18 mins in) scored 1 penalty and 3 corners.

Last match (also against Leeds United in the cup) won 5-0, scored 3 corners and missed a pen.

Question: Let's say a corner exploit exists and they patch it, will I stop scoring as many goals or will I just get my goals from another source?

Basically what I'm saying is does the fact i score so many corners highlight issues with my tactic because i can't get goals from elsewhere or will the game just distribute my goals a different way if it got patched.

Edited by bluehefner

3 minutes ago, bluehefner said:

Currently 4-0 up against Leeds United (18 mins in) scored 1 penalty and 3 corners.

Last match (also against Leeds United in the cup) won 5-0, scored 3 corners and missed a pen.

Question: Let's say a corner exploit exists and they patch it, will I stop scoring as many goals or will I just get my goals from another source?

Basically what I'm saying is does the fact i score so many corners highlight issues with my tactic because i can't get goals from elsewhere or will the game just distribute my goals a different way if it got patched.

Honestly, I'd take near post corners off your routine, just use it when desperate, I found it made the game way more enjoyable   

32 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Honestly, I'd take near post corners off your routine, just use it when desperate, I found it made the game way more enjoyable   

Ended up winning 5-1 (scored another corner)

I find it happens more frequently in certain games, it's not like every game i score multiple corners, but over the 2 seasons i have scored a lot.

I don't mind not taking advantage of a near post corner exploit if it exists, but my worry is that if the only reason i'm scoring goals is because of corners then i'll go from performing well to performing badly, however, if the ME will simply calculate my goals coming from other sources then it won't make a huge difference.

Like, does the corner exploit tell the ME to let me score from a corner, or does the ME say "He's going to score, make it from a corner, because he has good headers at the near post" but if i remove the near post exploit will the ME just say "He has Mbappe and Ronaldo forward, make Bruno thread a through ball into them" instead.

If you see what i mean...

Edited by bluehefner

11 minutes ago, bluehefner said:

Ended up winning 5-1 (scored another corner)

I find it happens more frequently in certain games, it's not like every game i score multiple corners, but over the 2 seasons i have scored a lot.

I don't mind not taking advantage of a near post corner exploit if it exists, but my worry is that if the only reason i'm scoring goals is because of corners then i'll go from performing well to performing badly, however, if the ME will simply calculate my goals coming from other sources then it won't make a huge difference.

Like, does the corner exploit tell the ME to let me score from a corner, or does the ME say "He's going to score, make it from a corner, because he has good headers at the near post" but if i remove the near post exploit will the ME just say "He has Mbappe and Ronaldo forward, make Bruno thread a through ball into them" instead.

If you see what i mean...

The ME doesn't really work like that. It doesn't know the result and then create the chances. The result is the result of the chances. The ME runs the match under the hood before the match stars based on tactics, players, etc, and then selects the highlights to show you. If you make a change the match is rerun from that point on and the highlights are reselected based on the "new" match from the changes from you or the AI. So the calculated end result is known by the match engine, but as soon as either manager does a change it's recalculated from the point the change takes effect.

This is a simplification, but if I've understood it correct, it's basically how things are worked out.

5 minutes ago, XaW said:

The ME doesn't really work like that. It doesn't know the result and then create the chances. The result is the result of the chances. The ME runs the match under the hood before the match stars based on tactics, players, etc, and then selects the highlights to show you. If you make a change the match is rerun from that point on and the highlights are reselected based on the "new" match from the changes from you or the AI. So the calculated end result is known by the match engine, but as soon as either manager does a change it's recalculated from the point the change takes effect.

This is a simplification, but if I've understood it correct, it's basically how things are worked out.

So could it not just be the ME putting higher importance on corners so when it sees i have strong headers at the near post it calculates that i'm going to score from a corner too frequently, but if i removed that instruction the ME would just see other areas where i'm set up strongly and have me score from those areas instead.

3 minutes ago, bluehefner said:

So could it not just be the ME putting higher importance on corners so when it sees i have strong headers at the near post it calculates that i'm going to score from a corner too frequently, but if i removed that instruction the ME would just see other areas where i'm set up strongly and have me score from those areas instead.

No, it does not work like it. The game doesn't "see" or "want" anything. It takes in the variables and all the players (and refs) make decisions and what happens happens. Not to fit into whatever makes you good or bad. There is no "intention", it just handles the input it gets from the variables. So when you have a corner, the players will try to follow the tactical instructions and that will often result in a goal. Either because of too much impact from a variable here or there, or because of too little from another. So if you win 5-1 and all goals come from a corner, that does not mean you would have won 5-1 from other goals if you didn't have it set. It's just that those things would not be a part of that match, and so the whole match would have happened in another way from the first time your team would have had a corner since that goal wouldn't have happened. It's a divergence in what happens, and every event in a game will change the game and new events would happen.

@bluehefnerjust give a try for a few games, see what you think. I don't know how the ME & calculates things, I wish I did. Anyway, I found I was scoring more varied goals without affecting the score lines. It might've been in my head but I found it more enjoyable to watch rather than "we've scored 3 but 2 of them were from corners" if that makes sense   

3 hours ago, bluehefner said:

This is such a great question and one I’ve been pondering myself. We all know how highly SI regard number of goals as a cornerstone of simulation realism.

I can’t help thinking that the excess number of headed goals from crosses and corners is robbing them from somewhere else, as in the type of goal my set up is supposed to produce.

Not saying this is true, but it FEELS the case. Main reason I have gone back to FM21 to get my goal variety fix.

Excellent decision so far.

Edited by rdbayly

On 18/11/2021 at 15:40, El_sambo said:

If you could show me footage of these happening I'd welcome that..I should add I've watched alot of streams online wanting to pickup on things to like it. But everytime I see a match it does absolutely nothing for me

Obviously I don't have a video of that, why would I have it? I will attach one when I notice those things in my games.

I have noticed 1-2s being played (note that the players mostly have to have the trait in order for them to actually do it), I did see my players round the keeper, again, usually players need the trait.

About curling finishes I'm not 100% sure, I have definitely seen many curved balls (when they introduced it, it was way over the top, with every player doing so), but I'm not sure about finishing. Definitely have seen curled free kicks though.

Edited by (sic)

12 hours ago, Theodore Twombly said:

Using the squad filters, they are hidden when "not at club" is ticked, but show up when "unavailable" is ticked. Asking assistant to pick team/subs therefore includes them.

brought this up, surprised it made it to the main game.

I'm loving the goals that come from corners, it happens a lot in real life. But I think that if the tactic is agreed to play in the middle and the team goes down the wings, it doesn't make any sense. The game has to obey our instructions, I believe this FM has to improve (dribbles that are not present), less balls on the crossbar per game and mainly more varied touches shown in the game.

31 minutes ago, Leon_fogo said:

I'm loving the goals that come from corners, it happens a lot in real life. But I think that if the tactic is agreed to play in the middle and the team goes down the wings, it doesn't make any sense. The game has to obey our instructions, I believe this FM has to improve (dribbles that are not present), less balls on the crossbar per game and mainly more varied touches shown in the game.

If your team ends up going down the wings surely that’s due to the middle of the park being too packed or well defended and your players having little other option??

I believe one of the claims before release was that more optimisations had been made to make FM run even faster this year.

I'm actually finding the opposite regarding news items. The general pace of processing does seem fast but if I click on news items they can often take a second, or two, to open. One of the main culprits is press conferences. Maybe it is because there are a lot more questions, but there is definitely a longer pause than in previous FMs when opening some news items in FM22.

My PC hasn't changed since FM21 and whilst I will admit to loading the whole of Europe these pauses are definitely standing out.

37 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

I hope for some miracle happens and they will release ME update at this month 

i think its going to happen just like last year's ... the ME update comes just days before a big 10% off sale really close to Christmas day... why? ... that's the actual release day

14 minutes ago, kertiek said:

i think its going to happen just like last year's ... the ME update comes just days before a big 10% off sale really close to Christmas day... why? ... that's the actual release day

For ME the IF/IW bug is really crucial.. i got just back to FM 21 and you can see such a difference 

3 hours ago, Leon_fogo said:

Actually crossing attempts and completion rate is far greater in the game than they are in real life. Needs to be toned down.

How long til something's done about the crazy AI possession? Nearly end of season and Thiago at Liverpool has a 99% pass completion ratio. Ridiculous.

Also, it's been bugging me for many versions - there's certain positions that just don't play well, no matter how good the player you put there. Seems to be the case with central midfielders who do a holding job, or just those crucial all-around mid c type of players. Always get a rating of around 7 or just below, which doesn't reflect what they do for the team IMO when compared with anyone you put at wing back, for example. Puts me off the game quite a bit.

Edited by kevinb41

12 hours ago, bluehefner said:

I play lower leagues . No goals at all from corners in 23 games so far . Something must be over powered in the higher leagues

1 hour ago, GOODNAME said:

For ME the IF/IW bug is really crucial.. i got just back to FM 21 and you can see such a difference 

i stopped playing the game after trying the "release" version for a few hours and i wont even try to play it until the release of a ME update addressing the if/iw problem, corner/headers goal problem, possession bug problem and backline high % passing competition problem just to mention a few currently acknowledged bugs by si games in the bug tracker.

i have 1500+ hours in fm21 but just after a few games in fm22 with the current dynamic the match engine has, its just way too frustrating to ignore the problems mentioned above, i rather not play at all until they fix it.

Edited by kertiek

2 hours ago, kertiek said:

i stopped playing the game after trying the "release" version for a few hours and i wont even try to play it until the release of a ME update addressing the if/iw problem, corner/headers goal problem, possession bug problem and backline high % passing competition problem just to mention a few currently acknowledged bugs by si games in the bug tracker.

i have 1500+ hours in fm21 but just after a few games in fm22 with the current dynamic the match engine has, its just way too frustrating to ignore the problems mentioned above, i rather not play at all until they fix it.

Did you go back to 21?

I skipped it but now considering it as a substitute for 22, that once more shouldn't be played before march's patch

I'm perfectly comfortable with 12 and 21 on the side with 17 being my most played combined out of those two. Every tactic is balanced in that one before gegeenpresses killed it all but that's just my opinion. Plus have you seen 17's graphics? the gameplay is so perfect at 60 fps (still has its issues but every game in this series does). Maybe 22 will be the latest and greatest when thing are patched out...maybe not, who knows.

9 hours ago, Leon_fogo said:

I'm loving the goals that come from corners, it happens a lot in real life. But I think that if the tactic is agreed to play in the middle and the team goes down the wings, it doesn't make any sense. The game has to obey our instructions, 

Then you wouldn't score at all and people would be complaining the match engine is broken.

No real life manager ignores 2/3rds of the pitch (the wings) and its insane a large group of FM players seem to think this should even be an option.

Watch any tactical analysis videos about teams that are known for playing predominantly down the centre and the analyst and or manager involved will 100% mention how width is key to creating space in the centre to exploit.

This ME recreates that beautifully in my opinion.

1 minute ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Then you wouldn't score at all and people would be complaining the match engine is broken.

No real life manager ignores 2/3rds of the pitch (the wings) and its insane a large group of FM players seem to think this should even be an option.

Watch any tactical analysis videos about teams that are known for playing predominantly down the centre and the analyst and or manager involved will 100% mention how width is key to creating space in the centre to exploit.

This ME recreates that beautifully in my opinion.

Lol because it would be

A football game where you can't score playing down the middle, you don't find it broken?! I do. Because I watch football. Obviously the goal is for the game to respect our instructions AND for the game to not be broken to the point where regular football actions are completely under or overpowered.

18 minutes ago, Fettucine_Alfredo said:

Lol because it would be

A football game where you can't score playing down the middle, you don't find it broken?! I do. Because I watch football. Obviously the goal is for the game to respect our instructions AND for the game to not be broken to the point where regular football actions are completely under or overpowered.

You can score loads of goals down the middle if you set your team up properly to do so with this ME. My team scores loads down the middle.

What the above poster is suggesting is that he wants his team to essentially ignore 2/3rds of the pitch, which is such a spectacularly stupid idea I don't think I really need to explain why.

Edited by kiwityke1983

4 hours ago, Fettucine_Alfredo said:

Did you go back to 21?

I skipped it but now considering it as a substitute for 22, that once more shouldn't be played before march's patch

No, I didn't go back to fm21.

Why? The game is decent it does have a decent ME where I can create beautiful football, but the broken stats were a player like neymar or mbappe would get 1 or 2 dribbles per game in their best games, for example is not the best experience to play on, there is problems with stats not being tracked correctly and since a lot of the decisions I make to change instructions or discipline players are based on that its really frustrating to not have the correct stats for what happens in the matches, so I don't think that I will play fm21 again at all

Edited by kertiek

In tier 6 of English football with Fc United at the moment.

When I set a filter to check for players who don't need work permits, I have a Slovakian and a Dutch footballer released by Man U.

However, when I try to sign them, they have work permit applciaitons rejected, despite them coming up as players who don't need work permits.

Is this due to the poor quality of scouting at that level which means reports and filters don't tell me they need work permits, or has something gone wrong there?

39 minutes ago, Ghost4928 said:

In tier 6 of English football with Fc United at the moment.

When I set a filter to check for players who don't need work permits, I have a Slovakian and a Dutch footballer released by Man U.

However, when I try to sign them, they have work permit applciaitons rejected, despite them coming up as players who don't need work permits.

Is this due to the poor quality of scouting at that level which means reports and filters don't tell me they need work permits, or has something gone wrong there?

This is possibly that when they were scouted they had a WP while at Man Utd but if they then sign a new deal, a WP application is required again

47 minutes ago, turgi said:

How many each one of them scored? 

You tell me…

It’s from your match - did any of them score more than one?

If so, then likely just shows who’s scored a goal/goals.

Edited by Luizinho

did you guys notice the same as me... in Bundesliga my opponents sometimes brings on 4 or even 5 fresh players from their bench, while i'm only allowed to make 3 subs... what is this SI... some new difficulty level... my goodness.... patch this game asap...i'm done with this game...5 fresh players and one of them scores the equalizer...

Edited by balldoktor81