[FM22] Reading FC - 150 Years of the Royals

collisonmullan

REading.jpg.9e9220810f3e7935614bf169144d5793.jpg

For anyone interested in having a go at managing the Royals and trying to make them more stable again, please post here. I myself will be attempting to do just that and hoping that I can grow the club in this anniversary year.

591779349_ClubVision.thumb.png.d7ec6cf41ad00c59f1d2f27aee679487.png

The club vision is like most clubs, expect to sign youngsters for a profit, with longer term aiming for the Premier League. This will be made even harder by the fact that Reading have no budget and are under a transfers embargo until January.

Finances.thumb.png.a75806540ac9fc494772bf92745f079c.png

The finances as you can see are not great. No money available and you are predicted to make a loss, so perhaps may have to sell players to help in January. 

Too add extra difficulty to an already hard side, a large number of players within the club are within the last year of their contracts, including both first team players and youngsters.

407193418_FirstTeamSquad.thumb.png.61236a7d796b5e8d2a5c942954d16741.png

The squad itself is very strong, however with a few injuries and players contracts running out, there are some decisions to make pretty early on. Do you sell someone to free up wages to keep others, do you hope that finances improve or an injection of money?

Whatever you choose, 3 key players for you will be Moore, Swift and Joao. The spine of your team and all 3 of them will generate interest from teams in the Prem. Swift is one of the players whose contract is running down, so a decision will need to be made on him.

Moore.thumb.png.9b0f32808d0caa11b38ede2c314737ba.png

Swift.thumb.png.bbf87bd968bba536cfd74ceda3e133f3.png

Joao.thumb.png.39d90ab1deb8e92d82977644312c9be6.png

With all the difficulties that come with managing Reading, injuries, contracts, no money and a transfer embargo; you do have the benefit of a very well ran academy. Looking at the development squad, you can see there are a number of players who can help you and bolster the squad. This makes managing the Royals a very interesting prospect as you are initially forced into a homegrown challenge.

414443718_DevelopmentSquad.thumb.png.549da99df8dd46257b181ce4e027f6f4.png

I have been looking out for this thread! 

I have been playing with Reading on the Beta, and just started my long term save as the full release is out now. Can't wait to get to Jan and offload a few high earners, the academy is looking so promising. 

Holmes, Mcintyre, Bristow, Samuels, Clarke, Boyce-Clarke, Purcell, Greaver, Giscombe, Stickland all look very promising. 

Having started a new save with the full release, I have made good progress so far.

The first thing I did was promote a number of young players to the 1st team squad. We have a large number of players who have potential and with being unable to sign players and no money anyway, I am going to focus on the youngsters. 

I reduced my scouting budget which added a bit more to the wage budget, as well as selling Rafael for 300k, but I only got 10% of it. I'm not sure how in a transfer embargo I was able to sell? Anyway, this released another 20k off the wage bill a week so I have been able to offer lots of players new deals. Laurent and Swift do not want to renew due to interest from other clubs. I am hoping if I get good results they might change their minds. Have been receiving bids from Wolves for Swift around the £2million mark. I don't really want to lose him but have agreed to if I get £5.5million.

Pre-season went well. Lots of fixtures as I wanted to give everyone plenty of game time, I also had lots of under 23's and 18's fixtures to test them out.

We won the games we would expect and gave a good account of ourselves against Premier League sides. The loss in the final pre-season game was a disappointing end, but 1 bad game I can handle.

Pre-Season.png.e99bd4539f12f27535487b17775dd64b.png

Going into the first game of season, this is what the first team squad looks like for match days.

GK - Southwood
RB - Yiadom
CB - Holmes
CB - McIntyre
LB - Baba
CM - Laurent
CM - Drinkwater
AMR - Helilovic
AMC - Swift
AML - Puscas
ST - Joao

Subs

Morrison
Moore
Tetek
Rhinomohto
Dele-Bashiru
Azeez
Clarke

13 hours ago, collisonmullan said:

Having started a new save with the full release, I have made good progress so far.

The first thing I did was promote a number of young players to the 1st team squad. We have a large number of players who have potential and with being unable to sign players and no money anyway, I am going to focus on the youngsters. 

I reduced my scouting budget which added a bit more to the wage budget, as well as selling Rafael for 300k, but I only got 10% of it. I'm not sure how in a transfer embargo I was able to sell? Anyway, this released another 20k off the wage bill a week so I have been able to offer lots of players new deals. Laurent and Swift do not want to renew due to interest from other clubs. I am hoping if I get good results they might change their minds. Have been receiving bids from Wolves for Swift around the £2million mark. I don't really want to lose him but have agreed to if I get £5.5million.

Pre-season went well. Lots of fixtures as I wanted to give everyone plenty of game time, I also had lots of under 23's and 18's fixtures to test them out.

We won the games we would expect and gave a good account of ourselves against Premier League sides. The loss in the final pre-season game was a disappointing end, but 1 bad game I can handle.

Pre-Season.png.e99bd4539f12f27535487b17775dd64b.png

Going into the first game of season, this is what the first team squad looks like for match days.

GK - Southwood
RB - Yiadom
CB - Holmes
CB - McIntyre
LB - Baba
CM - Laurent
CM - Drinkwater
AMR - Helilovic
AMC - Swift
AML - Puscas
ST - Joao

Subs

Morrison
Moore
Tetek
Rhinomohto
Dele-Bashiru
Azeez
Clarke

Decent results there against some decent prem sides!

This is my first month of fixtures and my formation!

Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 07.03.18.png

Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 07.03.42.png

Started a save with Reading in the beta, will start a new one soon.

It's good to know that it is possible to get players such as Yiadom,Swift and Laurent to sign new contracts. It massively helped financially because I ended up selling these for quite big fees. 

Good challenge this year though.

47 minutes ago, John Joe O'toole said:

Feb 2022 and I'm knocking on the door of the play offs, quite annoying as I was 3rd at one point! Moved some deadwood on and been playing some youth. Got high hopes for Stickland!

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 22.36.59.png

Did you manage to tie down Laurent/Swift to longer contracts? 

does the board inject any more? 

7 hours ago, collisonmullan said:

Did you manage to tie down Laurent/Swift to longer contracts? 

does the board inject any more? 

Yes but only a couple of a years, least I should get a decent fee for them now if I sell. 

The board injected £13million to comply with FFP but won't increase my transfer budget. 

5 hours ago, John Joe O'toole said:

Yes but only a couple of a years, least I should get a decent fee for them now if I sell. 

The board injected £13million to comply with FFP but won't increase my transfer budget. 

That’s good to know. Hopefully I can tie them down. 

Im about 5 games into the season and am flying. Dele-Bashiru has been a revelation for me, Helilovic got a red card so he came in on the wing as an inside forward and has been amazing. I will post up his stats later.

As a whole though the team have started the season brilliantly. Won 4 from 4 in the league and won our carabao cup game. Watford up next and I am optimistic. 

Special mention also for Puscas who plays on the left for me and has chipped in with a number of goals also. 

22 minutes ago, John Joe O'toole said:

Amazing. What formation are you using?

Im playing a 4-2-3-1. This has been my most used XI but bench is so strong now most players are back fit. Since that post I have lost to Watford in the carabao cup 2-0 and have beaten QPR 7-0, with 5 goals from Joao, another from Puscas and one from Helilovic I know this form won't last but it is brilliant.

345493012_tacticandbench.thumb.png.69a3ba067e29163705f6bf160d76c123.png

15 hours ago, collisonmullan said:

Im playing a 4-2-3-1. This has been my most used XI but bench is so strong now most players are back fit. Since that post I have lost to Watford in the carabao cup 2-0 and have beaten QPR 7-0, with 5 goals from Joao, another from Puscas and one from Helilovic I know this form won't last but it is brilliant.

345493012_tacticandbench.thumb.png.69a3ba067e29163705f6bf160d76c123.png

Amazing form. So you’re not shipping too many goals? 

I managed to get to the play offs, and lost in the semi finals to Fulham who had finished 3rd and had a lot more points than I did. Lost 13 games! I didn’t deserve to go up but still gutted. 

I haven’t been. Since then though I have lost to both Middlesborough and Cardiff if I remember right. 

still a great season. Did you buy anyone in January? I’m currently scouting for youngsters for minimal fees or EOC youngsters. 

Due to how well we are doing I’m hoping to get rid of Morrison, Dann and Hoilett in Jan as none of them are really playing for me and will free up some wages. If I get a good offer for Puscas or Joao I think I will also sell. 

2 hours ago, collisonmullan said:

I haven’t been. Since then though I have lost to both Middlesborough and Cardiff if I remember right. 

still a great season. Did you buy anyone in January? I’m currently scouting for youngsters for minimal fees or EOC youngsters. 

Due to how well we are doing I’m hoping to get rid of Morrison, Dann and Hoilett in Jan as none of them are really playing for me and will free up some wages. If I get a good offer for Puscas or Joao I think I will also sell. 

Signed Neco Williams in Jan on loan! 

Sold Yiadom in Jan too! and cancelled Drinkwaters loan.

Now in July and Swift has gone for £4.8mil :( Dann, Holiett, Morrison all gone!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 03/02/2022 at 07:21, HowzatFM said:

Did you continue your save with Reading? Interested to maybe start one myself at some point 

Yes mate, after the new update I started again. In fact I’ve only been reading on this edition 😂