FM22 - Juego de Posicion, a positional play variant of Total Football

In order to help understand my goals in building the tactics, we are going to aim to achieve the below.

We will have 3 main tactics built and getting trained. They will be organized as such.

Base Tactic - This will be our base idea and representation of JdP within FM22

Superior Tactic – This is for when we should dominate the game and need to ensure goals against a parked bus or otherwise defensive setup. This will likely be very similar to the base tactic, but offer different TI's in order to really stretch the opposition out and carve out more chances

Tough Match - This tactic will be for the difficult match ups where we expect a tough game and need to maintain our own solid defensive shape at the expense of some fluidity.

Tactical Styles - This is something I don't see people utilize enough. The idea is to not have to mess with the overall PRD in the tactics creator, but by simply switching to different custom/saved tactical styles, we can respond tactically to other things we are seeing in our match ups. Below are the variant tactical styles that I will look to develop.

Base JdP - base style from the base tactic

Breakdown the bus - used to stretch the opposition in the final third and aggressively create chances

Playout the press - used against high pressing teams, modifications to the build up play (this might also require some PRD changes, so could morph into a separate tactic as well (tough match tactic - ie playing against Liverpool)

Lastly, as I mentioned above. We will have some accounting for playing against different shapes. How you play out of the back, or attack against, opposition formations can vary a lot. So I will have some tactical variations to represent the differences when playing against:

4231/433

3 at the back

My next post, and the beginning will revolve around building the base tactic. I'll start with the building up from the back. Then get into our approach play discussing the midfield and attacking roles. Then we will bring it all together with the full tactic.

Here is a fun teaser video clip

Edited by 04texag

58 minutes ago, endadc said:

any idea when you will have an update on this?

Hoping to get at least one solid post/update a day on this. Tonight or tomorrow should have some info for playing out of the back

I hope it will be the greatest thread about it. The ancient thread about Jdp and Guardiola was a little bit disappointing. When I read about it, it's often a player who try to reproduce this way ( Jdp and Guardiola), and try and try, unending. I don't tell that I can do that. No surely not. But I don't open a thread about it. respect you and the community. It's just sometimes, disappointing. 

I hope you'll find. 

8 hours ago, 04texag said:

There are two things I'm currently unhappy with with the beta ME. First, the crossing of the ball and headers is way overpowered at the moment. Second, is CBs passing the ball back and forth and making possession numbers non-sensical. As such, I'm still tweaking and kind of biding some time until release with hopes these issues are at least partially addressed. But for now, we can start piecing together some of our tactical framework. Let's start with:

Playing out from the back

Playing from the back is a key fundamental of possession football, and specifically positional play. They key idea is to control possession and methodically work it up the pitch, using numerical superiority. 

image.png.d0d0d32d8a6f2590e6c92e85e281a8eb.png

In a base 433 when not facing any heavy pressure, it's pretty easy work from the back. Our base tactic can easily account for this. Within the in possession TI we will check Play Out of Defense, select Distribute to center backs, and with the below setup, we will move as such and create the above shape.

image.png.0a2dd440f072a2b759d85ebe6c64545a.png

This is pretty standard stuff. What becomes more difficult, is playing out against a high aggressive press. Something similar to Liverpool.  Typically in these scenarios, the defensive midfielder will drop deeper and then one of the two central mids will drop more for further support. Often this is the right central mid for Pep and De Bruyne or Bernardo will drop down further to help provide numerical superiority.

image.png.e739428d0125e8ffd2ae0d327301b12a.png

In order to get something more akin to this, you can make a few tweaks. The base 433 we will look at has the De Bruyne player as a Mez-S, but to get more help in build-up, you can change this player to a RPM-S. This is a fantastic PRD as it's very industrious, will drop deep to support the build up, and then has a high work rate to follow the ball and team up the pitch. De Bruyne and Silva both are excellent in this duty as they have the technical, physical skills and work rate to do it.

I also like to employ the HB-D when you need the DM to drop deeper and assist in these scenarios. To go with those two above PRD changes, you can experiment with the TI for distribution by alternating between distribute to centerbacks and distribute to playmaker. The latter will look to distribute to either the HB or the RPM depending on the defenses marking. They in turn will utilize the CBs and FBs around them to build out and maintain the numerical advantage.

image.png.5aa24f6d07ef932f4ca86d46d4b57b98.png

The above is some pretty basic stuff, but it definitely can make a difference using one vs the other depending on what opposition you are facing. Against weaker opponents or those that sit back, utilizing the second approach can be way too conservative, especially with the PRDs when you get to the final third. You don't want to overdue it at the back and lack enough penetration in the final third. That said, against a tough team that presses high, you really do need the additional support.

A keen eye may have noticed that the FBs have different setups in the above pictures. In the next update, we will talk about a principle of positional play that has to do with maintaining team shape and discipline, in the form of width. Maintaining width is very important as it stretches the defense and helps the offense establish the parameters of where they want to operate. In different scenarios, you might want to establish width with the wingers up top or the fullbacks behind, and we will get into that in a soon to come update.

I personally prefer to use DLP-S if my DMC is changed to HB-D. I'll even add a AP-S as well. I believe KDB has "comes deep to get ball" trait, which will help regardless of player role. And as you say, he has the workrate to get up and down and be dynamic as the RPM role is described. Do you notice a difference between how much KDB and Bernardo drop deep, cause the latter doesn't have the same trait?

On another note, I've noticed that the CM-S role with either "Get Forward" PI or Player trait is more of an attacking threat than it was on FM21. In my Beta save with Barca, I have taught Pedri the trait to "Get Further Forward" and he has scored some goals playing as CM-S. 

And lastly, I don't know if you will touch upon Training for this playing style, but I think that Teamwork (Match Prep session) and Team Bonding are vital sessions for training every week. It builds team chemistry, cohesion and I feel the players combine better on the field. The clip you posted earlier shows wonderful team movement, so I suspect you probably have those incorporated into your training. 

8 hours ago, yonko said:

I personally prefer to use DLP-S if my DMC is changed to HB-D. I'll even add a AP-S as well. I believe KDB has "comes deep to get ball" trait, which will help regardless of player role. And as you say, he has the workrate to get up and down and be dynamic as the RPM role is described. Do you notice a difference between how much KDB and Bernardo drop deep, cause the latter doesn't have the same trait?

On another note, I've noticed that the CM-S role with either "Get Forward" PI or Player trait is more of an attacking threat than it was on FM21. In my Beta save with Barca, I have taught Pedri the trait to "Get Further Forward" and he has scored some goals playing as CM-S. 

And lastly, I don't know if you will touch upon Training for this playing style, but I think that Teamwork (Match Prep session) and Team Bonding are vital sessions for training every week. It builds team chemistry, cohesion and I feel the players combine better on the field. The clip you posted earlier shows wonderful team movement, so I suspect you probably have those incorporated into your training. 

I haven't tested everything enough yet for some of those further tweaks, like KDB as an AP vs Silva. Good calls though. 

Ive noticed as well that both the mez-s and cm-s with get further forward willake wonderful attacking moves, it's great to see. 

For training, I agree fully and use both every week. 

The age old 433 is stale in FM seems to be showing its head some currently for me. I have a tactic nailed down where if you watch it full highlights, I swear it looks like what I see on TV out of city this year. Same movements and threats, and lack of consistent goals despite dominating. As such, I'm stuck wondering if I should be faithful in a recreation of them, or push further to get the tactic more FM successful. 

1 час назад, 04texag сказал:

I haven't tested everything enough yet for some of those further tweaks, like KDB as an AP vs Silva. Good calls though. 

Ive noticed as well that both the mez-s and cm-s with get further forward willake wonderful attacking moves, it's great to see. 

The age old 433 is stale in FM seems to be showing its head some currently for me. I have a tactic nailed down where if you watch it full highlights, I swear it looks like what I see on TV out of city this year. Same movements and threats, and lack of consistent goals despite dominating. As such, I'm stuck wondering if I should be faithful in a recreation of them, or push further to get the tactic more FM successful. 

I can't wait to see the sequel. Please continue.

4 hours ago, 04texag said:

I was asking if you've noticed difference between KDB and Bernardo when you use them as RPM. Meaning, does KDB drop deeper than Bernardo because of his "comes deep" trait?

I personally find the 433 very reliable and flexible formation. A combination of different roles and duties, plus player traits can really give you different variations. I think there are plenty of real life examples we can take and recreate a tactic that is based on 433 formation. Pep's Barca during 2010-11 season is my biggest inspiration. But as Plan B and Plan C there can be different variations with roles, duties and even instructions. I always have 3 different tactics loaded in the tactic slots. 

4 hours ago, Feddo said:

Looking forward to this, really enjoyed your fm20 thread! 

What does PRD stand for? 

Thanks! 

PRD, position/role/duty, so DLF-A is a PRD

Ive got family in town this weekend so not able to get another update posted until Monday. 

This weekend's game was so good, and really got me thinking a lot more about this tactic and how it's been working. Additionally, I read a really great article on JdP this weekend that confirmed a lot of what I've been thinking about. 

There are always going to be limitations within FM for recreating the fluidity and positional swapping that a team like City does. There are times a player like De Bruyne is all over the pitch, and the team swaps position assignments on the fly. Sure, within FM, you can set two players to position swap, but it's not close to the same thing. That aside, we can faithfully recreate the 235 attacking shape. Also, things like Walker moving from that middle spot in the 3 line to overlap on the flank, as mentioned above. 

There is still a lot of tweaking I would like to do with this. But I want to go ahead and get the tactic out there. Give it a shot and I think you'll see a lot of very recognizable movements, team shape, etc.

Pretty much the only current PIs are on the FB, to keep him narrow as discussed, and the APs/a each being told to stay wider.

image.png.7788f2257f0705b0986b6a41efea42a9.png

I'm not doing a proper save yet in FM22, as I'm waiting for release, and I'm also in love with my FM21 save and not ready to see it go yet. I'm going to keep testing this tactic though and will provide some more detail and updates very soon.

Edited by 04texag

We just absolutely dominated Liverpool 1-0. Only shows 3 shots on target which isn't great, but 2 off the post from super close and an absolute sitter than Silva put wide was disappointing.

image.png.81bcc4269d425f517a2e48295e43d1fb.png

Here's your 235 shape and 7 chances in the box with high xG.

image.thumb.png.fd7f66a37e0137b18c014a377f8cd7c8.png

I'm messing around in a preseason friendly with this tactic on my super team in FM21, and it's performing amazing. Love the movements I'm seeing.

One thing I've noticed that's pretty cool about FM 22 that I don't think I've seen elsewhere is that they added crossing instructions to the Mezzala role. This is a great addition as the Mez definitely gets in spots to often cross the ball just on the edge of the  box. 

FM 21 Mezzala PI window

image.png.1f2f8255476d8af4ebb696babeec15fe.png

FM22 PI window

image.png.761edff61cac8cc728ff03a33aa0411e.png

Unfortunately, they haven't added the aim crosses at part yet, but you can at least tell them to cross more or less often. @Seb Wassell maybe you can pass along that request. At City, players will often aim for the far post with low crosses, it would be nice to do that here.

Yet to try this out, but thinking already about tweaks, as such - swapping the MEZs into RPM and maybe A into DM, as it can provide best of both roles of Anchor and DLP - can bring the ball in more courageous way up front inviting some movement 

3 minutes ago, palec911 said:

Yet to try this out, but thinking already about tweaks, as such - swapping the MEZs into RPM and maybe A into DM, as it can provide best of both roles of Anchor and DLP - can bring the ball in more courageous way up front inviting some movement 

Just load it up and try it please first, then tweak. I've tried the exact roles you already have mentioned multiple times.  As for the DM slot, the Anchor is actually in my opinion a much underappreciated role in FM. 

image.png.a68e3f7e0d73940f7199f87925363fb5.png

This about perfectly describes what this style of football wants out of this position. Some teams might want a more expansive playmaker here, but you really don't want that in this system. You want interceptions, and laying off of the ball to the more advanced and technically gifted players. Just watch Fernandinho and Rodri footage in the above perfectly describes what they do.

Another thing, with the right player in this role with some PPM's, they will still occasionally be more creative, just not all of the time.

Edited by 04texag

Out of interest how much difference are you seeing in the performances/positioning of Cancelo (IWB-D) compared to Walker (FB-S)? 

I can see from the average position screenshot that Walker is, as you'd expect, wider and more advanced. Is there ever too much of a gap between Rodri and Walker? Or is his advanced position more due to him having more license to join the attacks once they're in the final third?  

8 minutes ago, ElJefe4 said:

Out of interest how much difference are you seeing in the performances/positioning of Cancelo (IWB-D) compared to Walker (FB-S)? 

I can see from the average position screenshot that Walker is, as you'd expect, wider and more advanced. Is there ever too much of a gap between Rodri and Walker? Or is his advanced position more due to him having more license to join the attacks once they're in the final third?  

His positioning is really variable to where we have the ball on the pitch. He stays tighter to rodri earlier in the build up then moves wider as the team advances. 

The difference for Cancelo is that he stays tighter when the ball is advanced and on the right flank. Which works well for switches like they do in real life. He will still get advanced when the ball is on the left flank. 

Oh ya, one other difference. On the right flank, if the AP drops deep to get the ball in build up, Walker will more readily overlap early and maintain width. I've also seen him make a run for a through ball once which was awesome. 

Edited by 04texag

13 horas atrás, 04texag disse:

Estou brincando em uma pré-temporada amistoso com essa tática no meu super time no FM21, e está tendo um desempenho incrível. Amo os movimentos que estou vendo.

Uma coisa que percebi que é muito legal sobre o FM 22 e que não acho que tenha visto em outro lugar é que eles adicionaram instruções de cruzamento ao papel de Mezzala. Esta é uma grande adição, pois o Mez definitivamente entra em locais para cruzar a bola com frequência na entrada da área. 

Janela FM 21 Mezzala PI

Janela FM22 PI

Infelizmente, eles ainda não adicionaram as cruzes de mira, mas você pode pelo menos dizer a eles para cruzarem com mais ou menos frequência. @Seb Wassell talvez você possa repassar esse pedido. No City, os jogadores costumam apontar para o poste mais distante com cruzamentos rasteiros, seria bom fazer isso aqui.

Could you provide the images of the individual instructions?

Have you considered telling the mezzalas to run wide with the ball? I work a similar setup to yours and it does wonders at creating space and passing lanes to the 3 forwards. 

Also, your posts are quality mate, keep up the good work!

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. 

Yes, I like that instruction a lot and is in line with what Pep instructs. I sometimes tick it on and off. When I make a cm custom role I include that often as well. 

14 horas atrás, 04texag disse:

I'm messing around in a preseason friendly with this tactic on my super team in FM21, and it's performing amazing. Love the movements I'm seeing.

One thing I've noticed that's pretty cool about FM 22 that I don't think I've seen elsewhere is that they added crossing instructions to the Mezzala role. This is a great addition as the Mez definitely gets in spots to often cross the ball just on the edge of the  box. 

FM 21 Mezzala PI window

FM22 PI window

Unfortunately, they haven't added the aim crosses at part yet, but you can at least tell them to cross more or less often. @Seb Wassell maybe you can pass along that request. At City, players will often aim for the far post with low crosses, it would be nice to do that here.

6 minutes ago, lipebtavares said:

I saw this just not at the computer. 

The FB instructions are in a previous post. The AP on both sides have stay wider. That's it for the base tactic right now. 

17 hours ago, 04texag said:

Just load it up and try it please first, then tweak. I've tried the exact roles you already have mentioned multiple times.  As for the DM slot, the Anchor is actually in my opinion a much underappreciated role in FM. 

image.png.a68e3f7e0d73940f7199f87925363fb5.png

This about perfectly describes what this style of football wants out of this position. Some teams might want a more expansive playmaker here, but you really don't want that in this system. You want interceptions, and laying off of the ball to the more advanced and technically gifted players. Just watch Fernandinho and Rodri footage in the above perfectly describes what they do.

Another thing, with the right player in this role with some PPM's, they will still occasionally be more creative, just not all of the time.

Personally I think that Pep wants his DMC to do a little more than what the Anchor Man role does. I think this is a Support role duty - DM-S - it will help with the fluidity and passing options. Have you tried that and what have you observed if yes?

2 minutes ago, yonko said:

Personally I think that Pep wants his DMC to do a little more than what the Anchor Man role does. I think this is a Support role duty - DM-S - it will help with the fluidity and passing options. Have you tried that and what have you observed if yes?

I kindly disagree. Pep wants a holding midfielder to not deviate much from the middle circle on the pitch. Intercepting moves and laying off to more creative players is part and parcel. Here are some fabulous quotes of him talking about Rodri and his idea of the holding midfielder. I again maintain that most people I see around the FM community doing similar tactics are asking way too much creatively out of the DM, it's like they want every player to be a playmaker, and that's just not accurate or effective.

“When he plays for the other players and not for himself - this is the best holding midfielder,” the boss added.

“Thinking about what is going on, what is happening, correcting mistakes and not playing for highlights.

“The best holding midfielders don't appear in the newspapers or front pages.

“They hide behind the team but when the team plays good it is because they are outstanding.”

In that vein, I'll elaborate. I have tried all of the DM slot PRD over the years, and most of them are too dynamic, and will get too far up the pitch or move too much. A key principle for JdP is having someone available to recycle possession. Maintaining the ball is paramount, and with the front five players being dynamic and moving in space, you need some more static players who maintain shape and positional structure so that those in front have known locations they can look to in order to recycle possession if they are pressed hard. The holding midfielder is just such a player/role. 

Within FM, if you have a support duty player here, they will too often move out of position and not be a good target for possession recycling.

7 minutes ago, lipebtavares said:

What would be the types of players to play on the flanks? Pure AP or wingers or a mix of the two?

Great question, I think a mix of the two is great. Your typical opposite footed inverted winger can excel here. It's not really that you're looking for your best playmaker to play on those flanks, you want them ideally in the Mezzala role. But you'll get the expression of play we are looking for by using that PRD in that location.

If you have a faster player with good OTB, he will make nice moves to the post and get on crosses. 

When trying to recreate this sort of style on FM18 I considered one or more Advanced Playmakers in the LCM/RCM positions but decided against it as I found they had a tendency to come towards the ball, rather than hold their position a bit more in the half space and create the numerical superiority against the full back with the winger.

Do APs still have that tendency to move towards the ball in later FMs? I haven't played much on versions later than FM18.

Also, if you don't have the players to pull off the Advanced Playmaker role in the winger positions so you choose to go with either Winger (S) or Inverted Winger (S) - which PIs do people think would work best? 

Winger (S) has stay wider hard coded whereas Inverted Winger (S) doesn't. You can also select 'Hold Position' which would make sense in terms of keeping the width, but means that you can't select 'Get Further Forward' which could also be useful in looking to pin the opposition full backs back and free up more spaces infield. What should be the priority here?

32 minutes ago, ElJefe4 said:

When trying to recreate this sort of style on FM18 I considered one or more Advanced Playmakers in the LCM/RCM positions but decided against it as I found they had a tendency to come towards the ball, rather than hold their position a bit more in the half space and create the numerical superiority against the full back with the winger.

Do APs still have that tendency to move towards the ball in later FMs? I haven't played much on versions later than FM18.

Also, if you don't have the players to pull off the Advanced Playmaker role in the winger positions so you choose to go with either Winger (S) or Inverted Winger (S) - which PIs do people think would work best? 

Winger (S) has stay wider hard coded whereas Inverted Winger (S) doesn't. You can also select 'Hold Position' which would make sense in terms of keeping the width, but means that you can't select 'Get Further Forward' which could also be useful in looking to pin the opposition full backs back and free up more spaces infield. What should be the priority here?

Fantastic question. Let's dive into this as some variable options. 

I'm currently really liking the play of the AP on the flanks. They will play aggressive balls in to guys in space and not cross as much. They also will still drive the ball in with dribble moves. That said, you can try the other routes. 

A right footed player on the left would work well as an IW, and a left footed on the left can work as a Winger. I prefer still in both situations to probably try the IW first, then the Winger role if you don't like what you see out of the IW. A winger will get higher up the pitch in a wider position. IE, he will not cut inside until much closer to the by line. An IW will cut inside much sooner, more towards the corner of the box.

An IW on support can be told to hold position, as well as take more risks and cross less often.

image.png.8cc53799647ef6aab784545f040e0430.png

By contrast, the winger role has a hard coded cross more often, which doesn't work as well IMO. You also have the choice, depending on player and match performance to hold position or check Get further forward. I would probably select hold position. I typically see the winger playing more aggressively though, as they will get to the byline and force a cross or risky pass, thus resulting in less retaining of possession.

image.png.2739082a809ffb9aedfe527b38ed0824.png

With what I've been seeing both in FM21 and the FM22 match engines, which I've been testing both games thoroughly, I would recommend trying them in this order, and with the above PIs show, AP>IW>W

12 minutes ago, evertonmarc said:

It might have been listed before, but this is well worth a watch...................

Check youtube "Xavi • Playing style, tactics in and out of possession at Al Sadd SC • Masterclass"

I've been intending to watch this but haven't fully yet. I know he gets into a 343 which expresses as a 325 in attack. There are lots of great attacking shapes that have variances of diamonds on the pitch. There are plusses and minuses to each, and lots of times it depends on personnel and the average shape of teams you expect to face. In Italy, I'd like want a different shape to face the abundance of wingback, 5 at the back teams vs the more common (at least maybe until recently) 433, 4231, 442 in England.

There are all of the same principles being talked about by Xavi in this video. Maintaining possession, Width, exploiting the half space. good stuff

Edited by 04texag

6 hours ago, 04texag said:

I kindly disagree. Pep wants a holding midfielder to not deviate much from the middle circle on the pitch. Intercepting moves and laying off to more creative players is part and parcel. Here are some fabulous quotes of him talking about Rodri and his idea of the holding midfielder. I again maintain that most people I see around the FM community doing similar tactics are asking way too much creatively out of the DM, it's like they want every player to be a playmaker, and that's just not accurate or effective.

“When he plays for the other players and not for himself - this is the best holding midfielder,” the boss added.

“Thinking about what is going on, what is happening, correcting mistakes and not playing for highlights.

“The best holding midfielders don't appear in the newspapers or front pages.

“They hide behind the team but when the team plays good it is because they are outstanding.”

None of these quotes describe Anchor Man role or any role for that matter. Pep also wants players to be closer to each other because it helps with possession and pressing to regain possession. DM-S with "Hold Position" is always available to recycle possession and fits this requirement quite well. 

Pretty sure Pep isn't going to describe an FM role. I get where you're coming from and used to use DM-S with hold position a lot. Ive tried it many times and used it a lot. The thing about your first statement is that the anchor role does allow for more fluidity in the team, as the stability of position and defense it adds allows those in front to be very fluid. This is very close to what I believe this tactical ideology is trying to do. But nothing in FM is ever good enough for something as fluid as what JdP and Pep represent in real life. I think the trade off is that more then the other alternatives, A-d gets things right.

If you haven't tried it and refuse to it's a waste of time discussing. 

Its frustrating spending time on these forums after a ton of work and testing to help the community and people always want to tell you you're wrong when they themselves won't even try first what your suggestion is. 

On the flip side, I can confirm that yes I already tried that role and at times it is nice, but it vacates position even with hold position, way too often to be reliable as a holding midfielder maintaining the 235 shape. 

Edited by 04texag

Let me clarify something. 

I don't pretend to believe I'm right, or that there is only one way to do anything, especially within this game. 

The one thing that does bother me is that you can count multiple times in a short thread where people said to change this do that, this should be something else. 

There are zero cases of anyone saying, hey, I loaded this up, it looks ok, but I tweaked X bc I wanted this to look a little different for y reason. 

As someone who spends lots of time, and wants to encourage lots of discussion on this stuff, realizing that as a community we can probably get closer to a tactic that works or is a close representation than any one individual can do alone, it's frustrating that people won't even load up the initial tactic as a base before cutting it apart. 

Enough said on this. Sorry if coming across upset, but I don't post tactics or things without a lot of testing, and feel it would be courteous to at least try the tactics. Otherwise, there's just no reason to do exercises like this in the first place.

@04texag

Where did I say in my replies that "you are wrong"? Read again how I specifically word my posts. I did it for a reason. You know what, you are right....there is no point in discussing if you are going to get so upset about replies. 

Great work on the tactic though. I'll keep checking on here but I wont reply so you don't get upset. 

I've been using this thread as inspiration for my semi-pro version of JdP that I've been playing around with in the Welsh Premier League with Cefn Druids. It's working well to say the least. Score about 2 goals and game and concede like 0.1 a game. It's pretty nuts. I did change some roles and instructions. Mainly the front 3 and the out of possession instructions. I use wingers instead of APs because my wingers are true wingers. I also use a Target Forward with move into channels PI. The TF is quickly becoming one of my favorite roles in FM22. He's pretty average attributes wise but gets a goal a game.

14 hours ago, yonko said:

None of these quotes describe Anchor Man role or any role for that matter. Pep also wants players to be closer to each other because it helps with possession and pressing to regain possession. DM-S with "Hold Position" is always available to recycle possession and fits this requirement quite well. 

14 hours ago, 04texag said:

I get where you're coming from and used to use DM-S with hold position a lot. Ive tried it many times and used it a lot. The thing about your first statement is that the anchor role does allow for more fluidity in the team, as the stability of position and defense it adds allows those in front to be very fluid. This is very close to what I believe this tactical ideology is trying to do.

I started out with a DM-D and then switched to a DM-Su then eventually ended up on the Anchorman. When I was watching games the DMs were having way too much lateral movement for my tastes. Anchorman really just sits in the hole.

11 hours ago, yonko said:

@04texag

Where did I say in my replies that "you are wrong"? Read again how I specifically word my posts. I did it for a reason. You know what, you are right....there is no point in discussing if you are going to get so upset about replies. 

Great work on the tactic though. I'll keep checking on here but I wont reply so you don't get upset. 

I apologize for getting overly upset about this. I think it's some hang on from last year, but not you specifically. I did a Barca replication, from one very specific look, and very few people on these forums will actually load up what you're saying and try it before offering tons of advice about trying it differently. 

I remember your name from before and you've been a great addition in the past, so I apologize for taking things personally. I think I was frustrated yesterday as I was really close to posting that this tactic is probably one of my absolute favorite recreations, playing brilliantly in both FM21 and FM22, and no one will even give it a shot. That's not on you but me.