[FM22] Matryoshka

_Ben_

20 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Interested in thoughts on this?

Embezzlement! :D :brock:

Seriously, if you’re not happy with it, then remove it. It’s your game. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if this is actually really happening and taking it away goes against that form of ultra rich realism. This is a big club in Russia who have these kinds of backers.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Here is my first player development bit:

ed64157a1120160cc7dce5a6c75d5dff.png

This is brilliant news. Ivlev, who I'll be giving more game time to as he prepares to take over from Callum Styles, is really developing into a top Inverted Wing Back and now, really, just needs the game experience. Here are his attributes:

740dc8bbebea58c38dfe9f2327173898.png

He looks amazing! He’s going to be tormenting those trying to mark him :D

12 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

Embezzlement! :D :brock:

Seriously, if you’re not happy with it, then remove it. It’s your game. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if this is actually really happening and taking it away goes against that form of ultra rich realism. This is a big club in Russia who have these kinds of backers.

14 minutes ago, GIMN said:

Personally, I wouldn't.  Those are the circumstances of the club and it poses a different sort of challenge.  Your desire to be sustainable doesn't trump the owner's desire not to be.  Perhaps if he starts trying to shape the vision more towards high profile signings, that can be the catalyst for another job change.

I clicked continue and immediately regretted it. We're back at £103m and will just look to be frugal despite the bank accounts! As you said @GIMN, it is part and parcel of the game and I need to just get on with what the owners say and do!

47 минут назад, _Ben_ сказал:

It's the game's way of showing we have some kind of Underwriter chairman, who bankrolls up every season. This £43m, which I've been getting every year, offsets any kind of losses and makes us really pointless for me to spend so long working on wages and the like. Therefore, I'm digging into the IGE to remove that £43m from the coffers. We then drop to just £60m in the bank, which won't really get touched with my meagre (in money size anyway) transfer targets but will be reimbursed the proper way - through transfers and prize money. It now shows up as an expenditure on other and puts us back to where we were:

9d97b27061898546f950451698bc022c.png

I don't like using the editor but, whilst I had it open, I saw that he was indeed classed as a Sugar Daddy. I know I'm playing with the realism here but may be tempted to remove that, although then it may have further implications on his demands in me, as a manager. What I may just do is remove this money each summer as it goes against my sustainable, money making model!

Interested in thoughts on this?

Don't see a sence tbh. Galitskiy is creator of one of Russia's largest food retailers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnit) and spent many money for Krasnodar FC. He has always talked about the importance of educating young people, but he also aims to buy technical players (and pay them a salary). IRL most Russian clubs receive a tranche from their main sponsor/owner at the beginning of the season (or end of prev), which is similar to what you described. As far as I understand, these 43 million are precisely the contribution of Galitsky as the owner and main sponsor of the club. After all, you can just not spend money

11 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Don't see a sence tbh. Galitskiy is creator of one of Russia's largest food retailers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnit) and spent many money for Krasnodar FC. He has always talked about the importance of educating young people, but he also aims to buy technical players (and pay them a salary). IRL most Russian clubs receive a tranche from their main sponsor/owner at the beginning of the season (or end of prev), which is similar to what you described. As far as I understand, these 43 million are precisely the contribution of Galitsky as the owner and main sponsor of the club. After all, you can just not spend money

Interesting!

I will admit to not knowing the background of all this. I just sometimes feel that ‘too much money’ can ruin a save. However, there are so many other clubs I could manage and, as I’ve strived for realism throughout, think I’ve done the right thing by reloading prior to this change!

35 минут назад, _Ben_ сказал:

Interesting!

I will admit to not knowing the background of all this. I just sometimes feel that ‘too much money’ can ruin a save. However, there are so many other clubs I could manage and, as I’ve strived for realism throughout, think I’ve done the right thing by reloading prior to this change!

In my saves, I often find myself in a situation where, relatively speaking, I can buy a powerful player for 10 million and with a large salary, but I buy a solid player for 3 and for a lower salary. There may come a time when you want to invite 2-3 expensive players to the club, but for now just save money, what a problem? ;) 

(Mid) June 2034

Iljas Zherebyatjev will become my third summer recruitment, after the aforementioned deals for Melikyan and Maman and is coming in from Excelsior, in Holland. My DoF negotiated a £2.4m fee, which I feel is ok for a player of his quality, but, more importantly, just a £6.75k p/w wage as a Fringe Player

aab88f37b043136b22970a167e9ce6a9.png

These statistics look pretty decent but what needs to be considered is the team performance and their standing in the Eredvisie. As a small club, having a player who creates so many chances (disregarding of the quality of striker ahead of him) in a weak team, must be considered strong. He is also putting out decent Dribbling stats in the graph above (comparing him and all other central midfielders in the Eredivisie with 1000 or more minutes), despite playing under a manager, Sam Lammers, who employs direct Route One football. He's got great attributes but he's probably not playing as much as he should due to the fact he's not a natural MC, and Lammers' shape doesn't utilise AMs or Engache's, which he is. I've watched him on and off since February but, given the slightly reduced amount of game time that he's been getting, I've not seen too much of him. However, what I have seen is that he's really strong in possession and does have an eye for that killer pass - a competent deputy to Alex Barreto!

This is a great deal for us; firstly - he comes in on a tiny wage as he's completely untested bar one season in the top flight of Dutch football and because it allows me to move Kolosov back to a more natural DM role. This, in turn, allows me to move on Pape Sarr - an aging foreign player, freeing up another slot in that magic-8 area! Iljas is potentially that diamond in the rough kind of signing I've been looking for - his analyst stuff is pretty impressive but the scouts can't look past his end output, hugely skewed by the fact he's playing in a poor team. Whereas I can ascertain that he's unlikely to be rocking up with 0.50+ assists/90 purely because the players ahead of him are pretty shocking and, just like his team, he doesn't score many himself. Also, at just £2.4m, this could be a steal!

---

f36a9dc41d414b5580207b8c67a04109.png

This contract, for star player Alex Barreto, is the exact reason why I've been waxing lyrical about the money saving for Hlynsson. I saved £20k p/w on his salary contribution and will be spending that £20k p/w to keep my star player here well into his prime years, putting off interest from some big European clubs this summer. It makes him the highest earner but that is completely valid based on his performances this season and you can see where it has put him compared with the rest of the team in terms of salary commitments.

I'm absolutely delighted with this bit of negotiation!

14 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

(Mid) June 2034

Iljas Zherebyatjev will become my third summer recruitment, after the aforementioned deals for Melikyan and Maman and is coming in from Excelsior, in Holland. My DoF negotiated a £2.4m fee, which I feel is ok for a player of his quality, but, more importantly, just a £6.75k p/w wage as a Fringe Player

aab88f37b043136b22970a167e9ce6a9.png

These statistics look pretty decent but what needs to be considered is the team performance and their standing in the Eredvisie. As a small club, having a player who creates so many chances (disregarding of the quality of striker ahead of him) in a weak team, must be considered strong. He is also putting out decent Dribbling stats in the graph above (comparing him and all other central midfielders in the Eredivisie with 1000 or more minutes), despite playing under a manager, Sam Lammers, who employs direct Route One football. He's got great attributes but he's probably not playing as much as he should due to the fact he's not a natural MC, and Lammers' shape doesn't utilise AMs or Engache's, which he is. I've watched him on and off since February but, given the slightly reduced amount of game time that he's been getting, I've not seen too much of him. However, what I have seen is that he's really strong in possession and does have an eye for that killer pass - a competent deputy to Alex Barreto!

This is a great deal for us; firstly - he comes in on a tiny wage as he's completely untested bar one season in the top flight of Dutch football and because it allows me to move Kolosov back to a more natural DM role. This, in turn, allows me to move on Pape Sarr - an aging foreign player, freeing up another slot in that magic-8 area! Iljas is potentially that diamond in the rough kind of signing I've been looking for - his analyst stuff is pretty impressive but the scouts can't look past his end output, hugely skewed by the fact he's playing in a poor team. Whereas I can ascertain that he's unlikely to be rocking up with 0.50+ assists/90 purely because the players ahead of him are pretty shocking and, just like his team, he doesn't score many himself. Also, at just £2.4m, this could be a steal!

---

f36a9dc41d414b5580207b8c67a04109.png

This contract, for star player Alex Barreto, is the exact reason why I've been waxing lyrical about the money saving for Hlynsson. I saved £20k p/w on his salary contribution and will be spending that £20k p/w to keep my star player here well into his prime years, putting off interest from some big European clubs this summer. It makes him the highest earner but that is completely valid based on his performances this season and you can see where it has put him compared with the rest of the team in terms of salary commitments.

I'm absolutely delighted with this bit of negotiation!

Great business so far, Barreto’s new deputy seems to have came from the same sort of thinking as how you sound him which should bode well when you consider how well he’s turned out. 

11 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Great business so far, Barreto’s new deputy seems to have came from the same sort of thinking as how you sound him which should bode well when you consider how well he’s turned out. 

Thanks! Got one more bit of business that I want to conclude and then anything else that I find is just a bonus!

35 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Thanks! Got one more bit of business that I want to conclude and then anything else that I find is just a bonus!

I have always been one for the tactical battle and when you switch something after seeing something and it works there is nothing more satisfying but….

after looking into stats for signings I’m finding those gems that are not quite right and they turn out to be stars is really starting to challenge that enjoyment so I thank you for input which has helped me with that along with shrew who deserves a huge amount of credit 

3 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I have always been one for the tactical battle and when you switch something after seeing something and it works there is nothing more satisfying but….

after looking into stats for signings I’m finding those gems that are not quite right and they turn out to be stars is really starting to challenge that enjoyment so I thank you for input which has helped me with that along with shrew who deserves a huge amount of credit 

Thank you so much! I think the same can be said for you. I love building a team but building a tactical style and analysing that, in depth, is something that you do better than pretty much everyone else. I've taken a lot of inspiration from how you play.

Edited by _Ben_

(Early) July 2034

I believe that I have reached the conclusion of my transfer business for the summer. There may be some youth prospects that join and I may be swayed by a wonderful deal, but, right now, I'm happy with what we've done and still haven't begun the pre-season friendlies. As with any squad I build, I like to ensure the one in, one out policy when I'm adding the finishing touches. I believe I've done that:

IN:

OUT:

• Alexandr Golovin - Retired
  • Pape Matar Sarr - Monterrey (£1.1m)
  • Daniil Denisov - Maritimo (£250k) (N.B. This deal was concluded in January but the permanent signing of Melikyan didn't happen until July so I'm counting it! The player has since retired)
  • Roman Mamaev - TBC

I wanted to upgrade the last winger slot and, with a spare foreign player slot available, recruited from Holland again. Hreidarsson, an Icelandic compatriot of Hylnsson, is aging but is coming in from a really strong season. Below are his attributes compared to my own wingers:

35a7c658d26d94d1536a67c4d9665c23.png

A little less in terms of goal contributions, but, like Iljas, he's played for a PSV side that have finished a lowly 7th in their league. Hardly the title fighters that they used to be. He sits a little behind my wingers in most areas: Dribbles and chances most notably but is ahead in terms of the shots he takes and his cross completion. However, this is where he stands out:

febfa878f2e1e6c090121680698e03fd.png

In a league absolutely dominated by Ajax, he's the best dribble and creates the most key passes out of all the wingers, left or right sided. I really like to see a winger that is able to complete crosses but also to complete passes - showing that he's able to both go outside and inside. Whilst I do instruct my wingers to stay wide, it's a sign of a good technical player strong with both feet. He's also pretty strong with his goal contributions and nets, roughly, one in four, which should not be his ceiling when moving to a strong, top of the table club like ours.

With this incoming, it allows me to move Roman Mamaev, a player who, despite putting in some decent performances (largely in early UECL games and cup games), has not progressed and, therefore, will be moved on.

My wage bill sits at a very healthy £653k per week, as seen below - a significant decrease on the near £1m p/w when I took over.

6e845c297d2c07acf8d63b70eb65acaa.png

We're projected to make a profit this season, for the first time, too. This is great news and a real step in the direction that I want to take! We haven't made a marquee signing just yet but with the funds moving in the right direction and things being cleverly micromanaged (sadly, I can't quite trust the DoF with my renegotiations), we're going to be able to do so pretty soon!

18 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Thank you so much! I think the same can be said for you. I love building a team but building a tactical style and analysing that, in depth, is something that you do better than pretty much everyone else. I've taken a lot of inspiration from how you play.

Thanks nice to be recognised. I should have a rather interesting tactical aspect in my first month out in the next few days! 

28 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

(Early) July 2034

I believe that I have reached the conclusion of my transfer business for the summer. There may be some youth prospects that join and I may be swayed by a wonderful deal, but, right now, I'm happy with what we've done and still haven't begun the pre-season friendlies. As with any squad I build, I like to ensure the one in, one out policy when I'm adding the finishing touches. I believe I've done that:

IN:

OUT:

• Alexandr Golovin - Retired
  • Pape Matar Sarr - Monterrey (£1.1m)
  • Daniil Denisov - Maritimo (£250k) (N.B. This deal was concluded in January but the permanent signing of Melikyan didn't happen until July so I'm counting it! The player has since retired)
  • Roman Mamaev - TBC

I wanted to upgrade the last winger slot and, with a spare foreign player slot available, recruited from Holland again. Hreidarsson, an Icelandic compatriot of Hylnsson, is aging but is coming in from a really strong season. Below are his attributes compared to my own wingers:

35a7c658d26d94d1536a67c4d9665c23.png

A little less in terms of goal contributions, but, like Iljas, he's played for a PSV side that have finished a lowly 7th in their league. Hardly the title fighters that they used to be. He sits a little behind my wingers in most areas: Dribbles and chances most notably but is ahead in terms of the shots he takes and his cross completion. However, this is where he stands out:

febfa878f2e1e6c090121680698e03fd.png

In a league absolutely dominated by Ajax, he's the best dribble and creates the most key passes out of all the wingers, left or right sided. I really like to see a winger that is able to complete crosses but also to complete passes - showing that he's able to both go outside and inside. Whilst I do instruct my wingers to stay wide, it's a sign of a good technical player strong with both feet. He's also pretty strong with his goal contributions and nets, roughly, one in four, which should not be his ceiling when moving to a strong, top of the table club like ours.

With this incoming, it allows me to move Roman Mamaev, a player who, despite putting in some decent performances (largely in early UECL games and cup games), has not progressed and, therefore, will be moved on.

My wage bill sits at a very healthy £653k per week, as seen below - a significant decrease on the near £1m p/w when I took over.

6e845c297d2c07acf8d63b70eb65acaa.png

We're projected to make a profit this season, for the first time, too. This is great news and a real step in the direction that I want to take! We haven't made a marquee signing just yet but with the funds moving in the right direction and things being cleverly micromanaged (sadly, I can't quite trust the DoF with my renegotiations), we're going to be able to do so pretty soon!

Good when you can get business done so early allows the summer to be less stressful!

(Early) July (Part 2)

A tactical post. Number four thousand in this ever changing environment...

Brought about by this statistic. We languished thirteenth in cross completion last season, and, given the nature of crossing (whether instructed to be low or not) our strikers aren't the best aerially. Furthermore, the squad that I have assembled actually lacks any elite crossers anyway.

c38af13824cdd480c65a8f90676c19e9.png

---

So I need to change...

I'd hazard a guess to say that I'm closest to Pep in terms of his positional play but, unlike him, I don't really prefer tiki-taka football and would prefer a more direct, clever style, that moves the ball vertically, quickly, exploiting spaces within the defence's third. I have made a couple of changes to the style, in a way that, I believe, will help me continue to do this:

93f22dc99b529c2626967aae9f7a54a3.png

So, firstly, the wide men. 

I have chosen Inverted Wingers with the PI of Stay Wider because I feel that, instructing my players to get to the byline and cross is just inefficient for the players I have and the style I want to play. On support duty (plus the slight TI change that I'll explain below), with the PI, should keep them really wide in the first part of our build up play before getting them to cut inside and into scoring positions at the end. I've long lamented the overall goal contributions from the wide players and discussed in the end of season review that this was an area of concern for me, so I have to try something!

As you can see, I've added some TIs. I'm not a huge fan of them and, to be fair, I'm not a huge fan of this one either. My normal go-to is to only use them if I can't get the player to do something I want through a trait or a PI. However, this does feel a little gamey as, by adding Overlap on both sides, I actually reduce the mentality of my wide players. It does nothing to the mentality of the IWBs and, in actual fact, I don't want them to overlap anyway, I just want the wide men to be slightly less aggressive.

b25ef80c13dff196556f957b1916bc52.png

As they'll be entering those half spaces near the opponents box, I've changed the double Mez(a) to a double CM(a) - still using attributes to morph these into a #10/SS type combo. I've added a couple of player instructions to them in order to get them to choose when to act like a Mez (by running wide), whilst Barreto is also granted the opportunity to Move Into Channels (for his Playmaking) and Hylnsson to Dribble More (for his SS kind of role).

I have then decided to change the AF(a) to a F9(s). I did briefly mention the assisting output from my strikers being poor and that, by getting them to be creative and score, I'd have really created a strong shape. This move should allow a bit more creativity but, given the high Finishing attribute of my strikers and the general style of play, hopefully allow them to score, too. Now we're not looking to crowd the box from crosses, I think the clever positional play (hoping that they'll still be able to get in behind the last man from time to time) with both vertical and lateral (Moves into Channels PI) movement will suit us better.

---

With the new rules in place - we can only play friendlies against Russian teams. Therefore, I've picked two semi-decent teams and two poor teams in order to get some match fitness but also be able to really rotate the squad. 

a5bf315815858f6bd3fa0dd98e5dec04.png

I'll try and capture some game footage of the shape working (or not) and analyse once these are completed.

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

(Early) July (Part 2)

Brought about by this statistic. We languished thirteenth in cross completion last season, and, given the nature of crossing (whether instructed to be low or not) our strikers aren't the best aerially. Furthermore, the squad that I have assembled actually lacks any elite crossers anyway.

---

So I need to change...

I'd hazard a guess to say that I'm closest to Pep in terms of his positional play but, unlike him, I don't really prefer tiki-taka football and would prefer a more direct, clever style, that moves the ball vertically, quickly, exploiting spaces within the defence's third. I have made a couple of changes to the style, in a way that, I believe, will help me continue to do this:

I have chosen Inverted Wingers with the PI of Stay Wider because I feel that, instructing my players to get to the byline and cross is just inefficient for the players I have and the style I want to play. On support duty (plus the slight TI change that I'll explain below), with the PI, should keep them really wide in the first part of our build up play before getting them to cut inside and into scoring positions at the end. I've long lamented the overall goal contributions from the wide players and discussed in the end of season review that this was an area of concern for me, so I have to try something!

As you can see, I've added some TIs. I'm not a huge fan of them and, to be fair, I'm not a huge fan of this one either. My normal go-to is to only use them if I can't get the player to do something I want through a trait or a PI. However, this does feel a little gamey as, by adding Overlap on both sides, I actually reduce the mentality of my wide players. It does nothing to the mentality of the IWBs and, in actual fact, I don't want them to overlap anyway, I just want the wide men to be slightly less aggressive.

As they'll be entering those half spaces near the opponents box, I've changed the double Mez(a) to a double CM(a) - still using attributes to morph these into a #10/SS type combo. I've added a couple of player instructions to them in order to get them to choose when to act like a Mez (by running wide), whilst Barreto is also granted the opportunity to Move Into Channels (for his Playmaking) and Hylnsson to Dribble More (for his SS kind of role).

I have then decided to change the AF(a) to a F9(s). I did briefly mention the assisting output from my strikers being poor and that, by getting them to be creative and score, I'd have really created a strong shape. This move should allow a bit more creativity but, given the high Finishing attribute of my strikers and the general style of play, hopefully allow them to score, too. Now we're not looking to crowd the box from crosses, I think the clever positional play (hoping that they'll still be able to get in behind the last man from time to time) with both vertical and lateral (Moves into Channels PI) movement will suit us better.

---

With the new rules in place - we can only play friendlies against Russian teams. Therefore, I've picked two semi-decent teams and two poor teams in order to get some match fitness but also be able to really rotate the squad. 

I'll try and capture some game footage of the shape working (or not) and analyse once these are completed.

Really liking your new system, it becomes closer in terms of my conductor system but with your vertical philosophy.

intrigued to see how the IW with hold position play out it’s something I’ve went too on two of the systems in order to open the channel up in early build up and when the ball is on there side but come narrow later on or when the ball is far side to them. It’s right out of the pep play book but every hard to master in the game.

look forward to seeing how this progresses  

July 2034 (Pre-Season)

014db7cee3bb1ac67e62f036da0703ec.png

Four home fixtures against Russian sides, given the new regulations in place. Four wins with no goals conceded, so, naturally, a happy outcome. An unexpected bonus is that we faced four different formations, and begun the task of starting to create ways to change the tactic slightly in order to benefit from the weaknesses in them. We obviously built some good morale from the victories and shook off some rustiness.

I'm ready for the league season now!

---

055224ccdab22aed31c7ad8ce93b250c.png

vs Rostov: First thoughts are that there is a lot of possession; more than we'd normally have, anyway. However, against two flat banks of four and two strikers not too fussed about defending, I can see why. This is our shape as we transition from defence to attack and, as I want, it's got that much desired 2-3-4-1 shape with Volkaganov holding his position up top. Our first goal came from a through ball, in which Volkaganov supplied (he recorded 0 assists in the league last year) any Hylnsson finished. I was about to show this phase of play as a repeated problem - as both my CM(a)s are the furthest men forward and there was a few occasions where Barreto chose a careless shot - however, in this one, Hylnsson finished with aplomb from 25 yards. Still something to monitor though. I like that the IWB(s) aren't always super offensive (see here) but also, there is evidence that the Overlap instruction works, such as this phase - which is why it is so important that I have Zinchenko'd the likes of Ivlev because he has the ability to offer us a lot from that area of the pitch! Overall, our shape was decent and it was a resounding performance against a team who completely shut us out in the last game of the season. I know it's pre-season, but there certainly feels like there has been a step forward from us.

On a personal note, the aforementioned assist and four key passes in the 76 minutes Volkaganov played is great and I think he's pretty well suited for this role. Mamaev and Djioev attempted ten crosses between them with a relatively decent  (higher than last season although a basically useless indicator given the tiny sample size) output of 33% completed and 25% completed respectively, but substitute Protosov did complete 42% of his 7 crosses in the latter part of the second half. Bentancor (89) and Ivlev (71) are seemingly the most important ball players now considering their pass attempt numbers, which is an interesting thing to consider. I did switch Prokhorov's passing to go to the full backs, but I may change that to Kolosov, the DM, who is more advanced (yet an easier pass to keep possession - especially with a small F9 up top now) but also has a great passing range.

---

18fafe6b85934bae8b55682622a4ff43.png

vs Chernomorets: A much harder game to judge anything on given the absolute gulf in class. This team was hammered by my 2-Team twice last year and they didn't put up much of a fight. That being said, I have learnt something from the game. The lined up in a narrow 4-4-2 Diamond and that put their centre mids tight with mine, as seen here. I countered that by using the double Mez again and that created some nice overloads, such as the one there that brought about an assist for Hylnsson. Here, Ionov turns provider (2 assists for him in the league last year) and puts the ball over. Yet, I don't think that using Mezzalas is a long term solution here. We're wide open defensively and all of our overloads are coming down the half space/wide areas, which, in itself is fine, if there are players who exploit space on the other side. If I wanted to run with the IWB/Mez/IW then I'd certainly need to think of using a WTF(a) or IF(a) or similar on the other side who can utilise the space created by drawing men over here. It worked here but I don't think it's a long term thing.

---

05548224e322726a260fa853bb6a0cc9.png

vs Krylya Sovetov: First observation is a confirmation that FM gages threat through possession and not ground occupied, which is why we look largely outplayed across the game despite winning comfortably on xG and even more so on the scoreline. Looking at their pass map shows that, whilst they completed loads more than we did, they didn't have any real impetus, barely recording a touch in our box. Therefore, it was pleasing to see that our first goal came from lovely play in that congested area and the value in having creativity further back in the team is absolutely apparent. All in all, a really great way to round off the (meaningful) games in the pre-season as our last opponents, a regional side, offered me no such tactical conundrums.

---

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Really liking your new system, it becomes closer in terms of my conductor system but with your vertical philosophy.

intrigued to see how the IW with hold position play out it’s something I’ve went too on two of the systems in order to open the channel up in early build up and when the ball is on there side but come narrow later on or when the ball is far side to them. It’s right out of the pep play book but every hard to master in the game.

look forward to seeing how this progresses  

Thanks!

I'm hoping that it can have the success that your tactical ideology has brought you! As you can see above, the early indicators look promising for that stretch of play that I want. Now it'll be to continue working on those other tweaked shapes, such as the Christmas Matryoshka (still love that name!) to face different opposition.

Looking really good.  Can't wait to see how it plays out in the regular season.  I'm a big fan of contradictory width and how it creates space in FM.  Also really looking forward to seeing how the attacking central midfielders get on.  I love how they break beyond the front line, but have also found that they tend to shoot early when they could carry on through on goal.

(Late) July 2034

Just the one game to end July, although I did visit Taganrog to see my 2-Team debut my new shape, hammering their opponents 7-1 (I left at half time where it was 6-0). I think an acid test for an overall tactic is to see how the AI plays it, without any distraction from myself as a human manager. The game saw five goals and three assists for my central midfield pairing, hopefully a sign of what is to come for both this team and my first team.

bdec9a2c66bcdf6700b61cbe6f65a163.png

The headline said 'clinical finishing the difference' and I must agree. We weren't at our best at all. Interestingly, looking at our pass map and corroborating that with their 4-3-3 DM formation tells me that Volkaganov had to work really hide to drop deep and find space, which is why he's not positioned as he had against a 4-4-2, for example. I believe that this has also pushed us deeper as we've not had the focal point easily reachable in attack. Looking at their pass map, you can see a compact, non-offensive side that are playing really narrow. This is really the kind of thing that I need to get better at seeing in match and then having both the knowledge and the tools at my disposal to act upon it. We did what we needed to do here but, to challenge for the title, have to consistently be able to do this kind of thing.

---

Time for a scouting review. I say this because I'm not sure that the number of reports, as seen below, is a good outlay for two years of work!

9549e7df83e87f4e49b584860ea9eb61.png

Looking around for some answers, I've stumbled on, and watched, a couple of Zealand's videos, which have pointed me in, hopefully, a more efficient direction. Although I'm not too sold on his by eye conclusions and would rather see statistical analysis, he's uncovered that region scouting just isn't working as intended, or, at least, is less efficient than using nation scouting. He noted that picking up knowledge of countries is really slow, particularly if they aren't loaded in the game (which a lot of mine won't be) but that can be overcame, at least a little, by just looking at nations. He also raised the idea that language is a key thing in picking up reports, so I shall consider that, too. 

I've dipped into this scouting regions infographic to ensure the most coverage possible.

ff6273ed995572b541fd2eeacec84261.png

Some justification...

• Russia is a repeated nation due to the fact that we do need to sign players from here to meet our registration rules.
  • KAZ, KGZ, ARM and BLR are added because none of these players are foreign within our league rules.
  • Ignoring North America (with American scout) to focus on countries with languages he can speak.
  • This provides me with scouting knowledge of 27 different countries - but there are significant gaps in anything in sub-Saharan Africa. I will need to then scout competitions as I'm missing lots of countries (e.g. Switzerland, anything UK [although significant overpricing keeps me away], Scandinavia and then the whole of Asia and North America).

My thoughts here are to combine the player identification with statistical analysis so there are no parameters on the scouting missions as I will be looking to identify players and then ensure they meet the KPIs that I have embedded here. However, that will be made a little harder by the fact that unmodelled leagues often produce erratic stats:

• Leagues not loaded in game:
    • Colombia
    • Peru
    • Chile
    • Croatia
    • Romania
    • Turkey
    • Bosnia
    • Serbia
    • Slovenia
  • League not modelled or loaded in game:
    • Georgia
    • Azerbaijan
    • Armenia
    • Kyrgyzstan
    • Kazakhstan
    • Morocco
    • Tunisia
    • Egypt

I do, therefore, worry that, as well as being a lower quality of player (mainly to justify non-foreign players), there are a significant number of countries who will produce erratic, unfilled or non-existent stats for their players. There needs to be a consensus between Talent ID (specifically potential and suitability of attributes) and Statistical Analysis here. One thing that I will look to work with.

Some interesting deep into analysis with your tactical set up for upcoming season and your transfer dealing and scouting you have looked into.

Do you have link to this video about scouting from Zealand? @_Ben_

Edited by john1

16 minutes ago, john1 said:

Some interesting deep into analysis with your tactical set up for upcoming season and your transfer dealing and scouting you have looked into.

Do you have link to this video about scouting from Zealand? @_Ben_

Here you go: 

1 hour ago, patrikholm said:

Here you go: 

Thanks for linking this!

1 hour ago, john1 said:

and scouting you have looked into.

I picked up another French speaking scout, sending him out to Africa but I'm aware that I have no leagues modelled and the CAF Champions League doesn't begin until September. So, based on ten scouts, I've had this comeback in just two weeks of running it:

34e8e7f321214889e54c476c6a8d5e98.png

94 reports! As I said, there are no parameters, but this is certainly a strong bit of evidence to back up this idea.

51 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Thanks for linking this!

I picked up another French speaking scout, sending him out to Africa but I'm aware that I have no leagues modelled and the CAF Champions League doesn't begin until September. So, based on ten scouts, I've had this comeback in just two weeks of running it:

34e8e7f321214889e54c476c6a8d5e98.png

94 reports! As I said, there are no parameters, but this is certainly a strong bit of evidence to back up this idea.

Wow 94 reports in 2 weeks?! I have also done this with my Anderlecht save, sending scouts to individual countries that their knowledge needs improving. Do you set it to few months or ongoing? I am unsure weather to go for 3 months or until it finished?

856378c611bd75048114cf3b7e02a418.png

Edited by john1

7 minutes ago, john1 said:

Wow 94 reports in 2 weeks?! I have also done this with my Anderlecht save, sending scouts to individual countries that their knowledge needs improving. Do you set it to few months or ongoing? I am unsure weather to go for 3 months or until it finished?

I'd be mindful that, unless you've loaded extra files, they might not be as useful in Africa - as leagues aren't even modelled in the vanilla game.

I'd read to set it to Completion - as that is 100% knowledge of that country!

(Early) August 2035

22b1dc54430610dd8a211a58dadf0807.png

Just a short update as I've indulged in a fair amount of FM over the past few days and do need to take a break to actually complete some adult things! As @SixPointeralluded to, there is simply nothing better than sitting back and looking at the fruits of your tactical labours and these three matches have been extremely pleasing to the strategist within me.

Whilst I will detail a little of those tactical battles below, I'd actually like to share what is seemingly a new competition, and that is goal of the season. Just four competitive games in and we already have four absolutely cracking goals. So, below, I present to you not one, or two, but four magical GIF goals. I'd love to hear which you think is the best.

Alexey Protosov vs Ural.

Vitali Volkaganov vs St. Gallen.

Iljas Zherebyatjev vs Fakel.

Kristian Nokkvi Hylnsson vs Fakel.

I love how Protosov has embodied the tactical changes by holding the line but then rushing in field in the most dangerous area for an opponent to defend. The fact that it's all done on his left foot and he opens his body up a little bit to strike through it just makes it more appealing to watch. I do love the first touch from Volkaganov to give him the space for his goal. The finish is calm and composed but the way he stops the ball and completely does the defender is beautiful. Iljas' lob is sublime, even if it does somewhat paper over the poor positioning we actually had in that move! Lastly, Nokkvi shows why he's technically the best player we have with a sweet sweet volley into the corner. He's done it before, yes, but it doesn't make it any less wonderful to watch!

So, go on then, order them!

fed5e763a829da25f6e77e7bb20fa1c7.png

The big thing for me here is our wonderful win away in Switzerland, so I'll focus in on that as it was pretty strong against Ural (bar a headed goal from a corner - which I still need to sit and work though) and against Fakel where Melikyan was purely beaten by pace from a through ball.

I'm normally a manager who likes to ensure we are tight defensively before we attack and, looking at St. Gallens W-DLF-W combo, I was a little concerned that they'd keep the ball wide and get in behind my inverted wing backs. However, given the fact that they'd set up in a 4-2-1-3 shape, with two DMs, I felt like there was a chance of overcoming them, but, to do that, I had to ignore the threat they may cause and back my own team. This early heat map shows that they sat men behind the ball but there was so many opportunities for central overloads, particularly from our LB and DM against their MC. This meant that our central midfielders (both as CM(a) not Mez(a) but both with Run Wide With Ball) and the wingers could pull the two static DMs out of place. We absolutely ripped St. Gallen apart and I genuinely don't think it was just because our players are better. I felt like it was a real tactical battle and one that I won comfortably!

4 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

(Early) August 2035

Just a short update as I've indulged in a fair amount of FM over the past few days and do need to take a break to actually complete some adult things! As @SixPointeralluded to, there is simply nothing better than sitting back and looking at the fruits of your tactical labours and these three matches have been extremely pleasing to the strategist within me.

Whilst I will detail a little of those tactical battles below, I'd actually like to share what is seemingly a new competition, and that is goal of the season. Just four competitive games in and we already have four absolutely cracking goals. So, below, I present to you not one, or two, but four magical GIF goals. I'd love to hear which you think is the best.

Alexey Protosov vs Ural.

I love how Protosov has embodied the tactical changes by holding the line but then rushing in field in the most dangerous area for an opponent to defend. The fact that it's all done on his left foot and he opens his body up a little bit to strike through it just makes it more appealing to watch. I do love the first touch from Volkaganov to give him the space for his goal. The finish is calm and composed but the way he stops the ball and completely does the defender is beautiful. Iljas' lob is sublime, even if it does somewhat paper over the poor positioning we actually had in that move! Lastly, Nokkvi shows why he's technically the best player we have with a sweet sweet volley into the corner. He's done it before, yes, but it doesn't make it any less wonderful to watch!

The big thing for me here is our wonderful win away in Switzerland, so I'll focus in on that as it was pretty strong against Ural (bar a headed goal from a corner - which I still need to sit and work though) and against Fakel where Melikyan was purely beaten by pace from a through ball.

I'm normally a manager who likes to ensure we are tight defensively before we attack and, looking at St. Gallens W-DLF-W combo, I was a little concerned that they'd keep the ball wide and get in behind my inverted wing backs. However, given the fact that they'd set up in a 4-2-1-3 shape, with two DMs, I felt like there was a chance of overcoming them, but, to do that, I had to ignore the threat they may cause and back my own team. This early heat map shows that they sat men behind the ball but there was so many opportunities for central overloads, particularly from our LB and DM against their MC. This meant that our central midfielders (both as CM(a) not Mez(a) but both with Run Wide With Ball) and the wingers could pull the two static DMs out of place. We absolutely ripped St. Gallen apart and I genuinely don't think it was just because our players are better. I felt like it was a real tactical battle and one that I won comfortably!

Some great goals there, definitely tough to order them!!

Love how Protosov, motored past 4 players with ease to score :D

I thought you was the one conceded that goal against St Gallen, especially with both shirt clashing :lol:

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

(Early) August 2035

Alexey Protosov vs Ural.

Protosov takes it for me as it’s something you being looking to improve, so enjoy it more as it’s your ideas translating onto Pitch! 

St Gallen came and played right into your hands but having a clear plan and then monitoring it and effecting the games is wonderful stuff!

Looks like I'm going against the grain, but Volkaganov takes it for me.  The first touch is sublime, then the outside of the boot finish essentially left the keeper flat footed.  Beautiful.

(Late) August 2034

37fe4f5ff472a0eff4ea341037f829f7.png

Some really good progress as we stay unbeaten and keep the early pace with Zenit. August is always a tough month on the legs with us having to qualify for European competition but hopefully that'll ease as time goes on, we get better and so does the league.

3fd5d3f291d0d13be6aa8e7ba9090e70.png

The return leg, in Poland, was pretty much a procession as we managed to beat St. Gallen with the same overloads to their very static MC, ahead of two DMs, as we did before. We followed that up with a draw against Dinamo. It was certainly a game there for the taking and one that, if we want to win the league have to win, but, right now, I can't complain at our style. Both games against Dinamo Minsk were played in Lithuania as both countries have regulations upon them and, noticeably (on the eye not stat wise), I think we underperform in neutral venues. We adapt to how an opponent plays at home and when they visit us, but, in FM, teams seem to be a hybrid of that on these neutral venues and we never really get our setup right. Never the less, we won both times and that was enough to see us progress to a group stage that can be seen below:

951be24b90968681530df0b87a1c2a61.png

Lille are tough but I'm confident. We've shown we can mix it with the big boys in the knockout stages, albeit of the Conference League, and I want to get through this one, too.

----

b5f2fbff2b85e6d02ca7a8efb0f1bdac.png

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd signed Ezequiel more out of compassion than anything else, given that he was an absolutely terrible coach. However, he's already sat one coaching course and is now on another. This has, therefore, become a little project for me. I've never put time into developing staff but I can collate all the screenshots of my ex-star striker and look at how he develops.

Obviously, I play with a transparent colour for attributes below 7 so can't see just how bad he is or might be, but I can see some steady improvements with just one badge complete. It'll be interesting to see if they all increase at this rate per badge, particularly his Determination growth, which we know does not move that easily on players.

f1c8d1fb917adaec51959290981210a5.gif

An advert for another youth coach alerted me to Jorrit Hendrix, a player I'm aware of and another player, this time completely without badges, who can become part of this experiment. In fact, a rudimentary search highlights loads of staff that could become part of it. However, I'll not be signing them as a) they're all Argentine and that's not realistic in terms of recruitment and b) the way I've found them is also not realistic. However, using my own Relationships tab, I'm able to make a move for ex-Ural winger (who I signed) Andrey Potapenko but ex Ural wing back, Georgia Kutsia is less keen!

Great early season form Ben. I agree you can’t afford to drop points to anyone at home regardless if they are from Moscow and especially if it’s Zenit if you want to bring home the title. But unbeaten start can’t grumble at all mate!

I think you’ll smash that group as well! 

Edited by SixPointer

12 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

The return leg, in Poland, was pretty much a procession as we managed to beat St. Gallen with the same overloads to their very static MC, ahead of two DMs, as we did before. …..if we want to win the league have to win, but, right now, I can't complain at our style. Both games against Dinamo Minsk were played in Lithuania as both countries have regulations upon them and, noticeably (on the eye not stat wise), I think we underperform in neutral venues. We adapt to how an opponent plays at home and when they visit us, but, in FM, teams seem to be a hybrid of that on these neutral venues and we never really get our setup right.

How many teams play that way against you (static MC and DM’s)? Does it ever swap around to dynamic MC’s/DM’s and static wide players?

Definitely doable to finish top 2 in your group :thup:

I also like signing ex players into coaches too, despite their attributes looking horrendous, however they do become decent few years down the line :thup:

Hey Ben - I've been taking a bit of a break from FM since stopping the Statman and Robins save, including reading about others' saves - but have been catching up with this thread this morning. As always, both top notch stuff and prompting a few thoughts. One particular query, which I can't remember if I've asked before...

You seem to prefer your inverted wingbacks, from what I can gather, to be "correct footed" - i.e. left-footed on the left and right-footed on the right. Is there any particular thinking here or is it simply about finding players who are naturally available to play on that flank? I can see advantages in having a "wrong footed" IWB, but probably only in the final third. Just wondered what your experience with it was?

19 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Great early season form Ben. I agree you can’t afford to drop points to anyone at home regardless if they are from Moscow and especially if it’s Zenit if you want to bring home the title. But unbeaten start can’t grumble at all mate!

I think you’ll smash that group as well! 

Absolutely. Going unbeaten at home against:

• Zenit
  • CSKA
  • Spartak
  • Lokomotiv
  • Dinamo

Should see us be there or there abouts in terms of the league standings as long as we don't capitulate away from home.

7 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

How many teams play that way against you (static MC and DM’s)? Does it ever swap around to dynamic MC’s/DM’s and static wide players?

It depends. It was just St. Gallen's two DM (role name) and CM (again, role name) that stood out to me. I do find when playing against a midfield two and they line up with a BWM/Mez, then it's much easier to exploit the spaces left by these natural roamers but it just felt like they wanted to create a barrier in front of their defence, which, actually, was easy just to cleverly move through.

I think that, once or twice, max, I've come across anyone that isn't an W/IW/IF out wide, which is a real shame. I believe that there is some kind of connection to both the Russian style (that I believe filters through both player generation and staff favoured formations etc) as well as the (lack of) quality within the Russian system. It's far easier to find an all round wide man when you're dealing with elite players.

6 hours ago, john1 said:

Definitely doable to finish top 2 in your group :thup:

I also like signing ex players into coaches too, despite their attributes looking horrendous, however they do become decent few years down the line :thup:

I've literally never tracked coaching attributes so it's something else to get my teeth into. I'm guessing that they fail/have no interest in starting a course when they've reached their staff PA, so that'll be something to look out for. I think that the whole concept of staff recruitment is far too easy and you can go out there and snaffle the best from anywhere, so this is an option I do want to explore further.

3 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Hey Ben - I've been taking a bit of a break from FM since stopping the Statman and Robins save, including reading about others' saves - but have been catching up with this thread this morning. As always, both top notch stuff and prompting a few thoughts. One particular query, which I can't remember if I've asked before...

You seem to prefer your inverted wingbacks, from what I can gather, to be "correct footed" - i.e. left-footed on the left and right-footed on the right. Is there any particular thinking here or is it simply about finding players who are naturally available to play on that flank? I can see advantages in having a "wrong footed" IWB, but probably only in the final third. Just wondered what your experience with it was?

Hi Shrew! Missed not seeing you on the forum. Yes, I do prefer correct footed (although, in an ideal world, they'd be two footed but I'm yet to find anyone that really satisfies that). There are two reasons why I do this:

1) Defensive stability. A left footed left back should be better at tackling a winger who has gone down the outside of him. As a defender myself, and one that was comfortable with both feet, I always found that I'd slide or move in to block, with my most defensive foot (and by that I mean, when side on, the one closest to my own goal). Just look at this example here:

d9c5f14e5ddbe80ae2cd84aebc7283f0.png

Bastian is going in with his right foot, which, if he was side on (presuming I've got my angles right) would be his most offensive foot when tracking back. This'll mean he's got to get a yard ahead to bring through his right foot, which, from my own experience, is much harder to do and leaves you much more likely to take the opponent's left leg out at the same time. If he'd gone in with his left foot, he could have afforded to have been level (therefore needing less pace/acceleration) and is more likely to be able to retain possession of the ball from a successful tackle.

It's one of those things that is purely from personal experience and I have no idea whether it's actually implemented into the game.

2) Attacking Options: I like them to be correct footed because it opens up a lot more passing options going forward. As we have two really attacking, but creative, central midfielders and wide men who hold their position and offer less in terms of creativity and more in terms of space occupation and directness in counter attack, the footedness of the full back is quite important. Here is another example, this time, the average position, with the ball of my team in the last game:

7409aaf95fbeb16aea0b6b3a249efe4d.png

Looking at the body shape of my full backs when they bring the ball in field, you'd expect them to be facing towards the opposite wing. A right footed left back would have a natural body shape that brings into play the wide man instead. One of the reasons why I love the traits of Brings Ball out of Defence and Plays Long Range Passes is that they bring the wing back more central and then open up passes to the other flank, which is really useful in our counter attacking. But, even if they just pass the ball to a central midfielder, it gives us a much better chance of advancing the ball vertically, quickly.

Edited by _Ben_

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

A right footed left back would have a natural body shape that brings into play the wide man instead.

I’d have thought you’d say he narrows the passing angles up the left side of the field, whereas a natural left footed left sided defender would open up the passing angles. A natural body shape? I feel he would need to be more careful as he would either get the ball nicked off him because the ball is more exposed or he’ll hook it out of play.

I get it though. I used to play hockey as a left back. Hockey is all right sided so I was technically a right footed left sided defender (though I was more a midfielder and passed well). You’re also always facing forward or the other side of the field. I remember that the angle was always better across the field than up the touch line. You would need to be extra careful not to hook the ball out of play when passing to the left winger if he was hugging the touch line whereas I could hit the right winger far easier on the fly switching play. I could disguise that pass by looking like I was passing up the left touch line (not sure how that works in football, as I’m basically hitting firmly on the angle).

Edited by Sonic Youth
Details

There's a similar discussion re centre backs - with a left-sided centre back on the left of the two (or three), then the natural curve of the ball on your strongest foot, i.e. out to in, is helpful when trying to progress the ball into wide areas - as the ball is naturally further from any player trying to close it down and then swings back into your intended target.

So I can definitely see the logic in having that option with the IWB. Also, you'd think that any attempt to carry the ball out of defence will primarily be with their strongest foot and therefore shielding the ball from any central pressing.

My only concern might be a tendency to pull the IWB too wide - particularly if carrying the ball out. Previously I'd been retraining defensive midfielders to play IWB on their "wrong side", but maybe I should be rethinking that. Appreciate the feedback

3 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

I’d have thought you’d say he narrows the passing angles up the left side of the field, whereas a natural left footed left sided defender would open up the passing angles. A natural body shape? I feel he would need to be more careful as he would either get the ball nicked off him because the ball is more exposed or he’ll hook it out of play.

I get it though. I used to play hockey as a left back. Hockey is all right sided so I was technically a right footed left sided defender (though I was more a midfielder and passed well). You’re also always facing forward or the other side of the field. I remember that the angle was always better across the field than up the touch line. You would need to be extra careful not to hook the ball out of play when passing to the left winger if he was hugging the touch line whereas I could hit the right winger far easier on the fly switching play. I could disguise that pass by looking like I was passing up the left touch line (not sure how that works in football, as I’m basically hitting firmly on the angle).

I think I miswrote or got my explanation a little convoluted:

- A right footed left back will close of passing angles to midfielders except for the left winger due to his body shape
- A left footed left back will open passing angles to midfielders excluding the left winger due to his body shape.

Again - from experience of playing as a centre back and being comfortable with both feet!

2 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

There's a similar discussion re centre backs - with a left-sided centre back on the left of the two (or three), then the natural curve of the ball on your strongest foot, i.e. out to in, is helpful when trying to progress the ball into wide areas - as the ball is naturally further from any player trying to close it down and then swings back into your intended target.

So I can definitely see the logic in having that option with the IWB. Also, you'd think that any attempt to carry the ball out of defence will primarily be with their strongest foot and therefore shielding the ball from any central pressing.

My only concern might be a tendency to pull the IWB too wide - particularly if carrying the ball out. Previously I'd been retraining defensive midfielders to play IWB on their "wrong side", but maybe I should be rethinking that. Appreciate the feedback

I like to think that if I reduce the opportunity for LB-LM passes due to him being inverted and left footed, I open up passing lanes between LCD and LM due to the fact that he's left footed. I mean, I have absolutely no concrete statistical evidence of this but it just feels right with what I see on the pitch and what I'd do if I was playing.

I have less issues with the IWB staying wide to be fair as I have a DM shield there too. What I didn't want from this tactic was width from my full backs and for them to be getting forward to the byline - something I have achieved. When they do go forward (more so with the Overlap instruction used to reduce the mentality of my wingers), they break through centrally where the CM(a) have pushed on from.

This discussion of Defensive backs and passing angles is fascinating.

I generally have left footed players on the left half of the field except AML/AMR's and Right footed players for the right half....especially the back four or three....

September 2034

ac26e506485f3b973a75ca8f3be1cb5f.png

Any month with 0 in the Goals Conceded column must be considered a success. This one, therefore, is a success, despite not quite feeling like one. We have amassed a great goal tally but two goal-less draws have marred what has been some great play. Particular attention must be payed to my three central midfielders, who happen to be the best players, on form, in the team right now (although, I'd argue that Barreto and Hylnsson are generally among the best based on attributes too).

833408756d894a7ea599210d3b27ee79.png

All are massively outperforming their xG as well as creating plenty, too. If, as an elite team (or if we become truly elite), I'd consider using Barreto as a F9 to really maximise his creativity as I have found them all to be slightly erratic in front of goal - to clearly be expected given their finishing attributes.

I have changed a column in this view to now show the opposition formation as, to be fair, we rarely deviate from our own 4-1-4-1 shape. In fact, as of now, nobody has fielded a 3atb shape since I spent time creating the Christmas Tree shape! It's interesting to see that, against four of the teams (bar Lokomotiv), nobody is employed in the DM slot. This is where I get most of my successes, creating between the lines. Therefore, maybe something to consider is how to play against teams with at least one DM.

ebcf8e8a580a05bec8eeb36bbda24c9b.png

Rostov, who we faced for the first time in the league since their shut-out that denied us a second placed finish last year, caved and were soundly beaten. Against Alania, we peppered them with shots, but, as you can see, they were that good quality. I think that a sign of our profligacy comes when teams put eleven men behind the ball and we cannot break through them. We do like to draw teams on to us, finding and exploiting gaps and when teams like Alania (and Rostov to be fair - as one of the goals was a set piece) don't do that, it's harder for us to play our style. Maribor, however, did come for us and we destroyed them with absolutely clinical finishing. Eight was, to be fair, slightly short of what we could have had as the aforementioned poor finishing from the midfielders kept it to single figures. Amkar, who've started really well, were dispatched with relatively ease before a really tough match in Moscow, away at Lokomotiv. If we're focusing on being unbeaten at home against Moscow/St. Petersburg teams, then all the points we can get away from home will help. Lok are probably the weakest (bar Torpedo but they've been relegated) so it's not an ideal result but we're still unbeaten and our defence is looking really strong!

Interesting stats to look at against those teams, however, are you looking to have more possession wise or you rather give most of it to opposition?

Also, do you get money for playing at neutral ground?

On 11/04/2022 at 08:14, _Ben_ said:

(Early) July (Part 2)

---

So I need to change...

---

Love the new style - are you still using match plans and opposition instructions?

Edited by shaneomac

6 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

September 2034

Any month with 0 in the Goals Conceded column must be considered a success. This one, therefore, is a success, despite not quite feeling like one. We have amassed a great goal tally but two goal-less draws have marred what has been some great play. Particular attention must be payed to my three central midfielders, who happen to be the best players, on form, in the team right now (although, I'd argue that Barreto and Hylnsson are generally among the best based on attributes too).

All are massively outperforming their xG as well as creating plenty, too. If, as an elite team (or if we become truly elite), I'd consider using Barreto as a F9 to really maximise his creativity as I have found them all to be slightly erratic in front of goal - to clearly be expected given their finishing attributes.

I have changed a column in this view to now show the opposition formation as, to be fair, we rarely deviate from our own 4-1-4-1 shape. In fact, as of now, nobody has fielded a 3atb shape since I spent time creating the Christmas Tree shape! It's interesting to see that, against four of the teams (bar Lokomotiv), nobody is employed in the DM slot. This is where I get most of my successes, creating between the lines. Therefore, maybe something to consider is how to play against teams with at least one DM.

Rostov, who we faced for the first time in the league since their shut-out that denied us a second placed finish last year, caved and were soundly beaten. Against Alania, we peppered them with shots, but, as you can see, they were that good quality. I think that a sign of our profligacy comes when teams put eleven men behind the ball and we cannot break through them. We do like to draw teams on to us, finding and exploiting gaps and when teams like Alania (and Rostov to be fair - as one of the goals was a set piece) don't do that, it's harder for us to play our style. Maribor, however, did come for us and we destroyed them with absolutely clinical finishing. Eight was, to be fair, slightly short of what we could have had as the aforementioned poor finishing from the midfielders kept it to single figures. Amkar, who've started really well, were dispatched with relatively ease before a really tough match in Moscow, away at Lokomotiv. If we're focusing on being unbeaten at home against Moscow/St. Petersburg teams, then all the points we can get away from home will help. Lok are probably the weakest (bar Torpedo but they've been relegated) so it's not an ideal result but we're still unbeaten and our defence is looking really strong!

Superb month Ben. Parked buses are a right pain in the arse especially with your tactical philosophy which craves space in behind to attack.

I would consider a slightly more patient approach but only as disguise. And have players with key passing attributes (passing, vision, technique, decisions, flair) to be more direct passing and take more risks. Use them almost as quarter backs once the patient probing has eventually drawn the bus out.  

Been away for a while so had to catch up, Unlucky with the third place finish but I think it’s probably better for the long term of your stint here. 
Some nice well thought out signings as always and I enjoyed the IWB footedness talk.

But for me the staff development is something I have been doing more this year, I’ve found waiving compensation for managerial roles helps them get chances to move on ensuring a turnover of staff to develop (compenstation is usually peanuts anyway) I do wish there was more ways to develop than just coaching courses as with real life you imagine they pick up traits/styles depending on the club they work for. 

Title this season and Europa league? 

15 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

September 2034

Good month of results, with those draws away from home. Accruing points instead of losing the game is definitely better, especially when a loss could have put a slight gap between you and Zenit early on in the season. Bonus that all games had no goals conceded :thup: 

If teams are parking the bus, do you think you have the players who are clinical enough to finish the half chances created? That might be the next type of player needed to be added to your team.

14 hours ago, john1 said:

Interesting stats to look at against those teams, however, are you looking to have more possession wise or you rather give most of it to opposition?

Also, do you get money for playing at neutral ground?

I don't care either way for possession! If we have it, I want to use it well. If we don't, then we need to make the most of turnovers in possession.

I actually haven't checked about the finances, but that's largely because we have so much in the bank that I don't need to check income to break even. especially as I've been so strict on playing budgets.

13 hours ago, shaneomac said:

Are you s

Love the new style - are you still using match plans and opposition instructions?

I'm trying to wean myself off match plans and make those changes when I see them rather than at specific parts of the game. In terms of opposition instructions, yes. See below:

10552ece489d8e891662c5a78f931b98.png

No tight marking or trigger pressing any of the defenders to allow us to return to our compact shape but I will tackle them hard. I send wide (everywhere) onto the inside because that is where I have most of the players. With two strikers, I'll mark them tight but with one (as it's normally accompanied by an AM, too) I won't - instead I'll pass them around the two centre backs and ensure that our DM is marking their AM.

It certainly could be improved though and I'm looking into ways of doing so...

9 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Superb month Ben. Parked buses are a right pain in the arse especially with your tactical philosophy which craves space in behind to attack.

I would consider a slightly more patient approach but only as disguise. And have players with key passing attributes (passing, vision, technique, decisions, flair) to be more direct passing and take more risks. Use them almost as quarter backs once the patient probing has eventually drawn the bus out.  

We already are pretty much maxing out that creative freedom. A thought I've had, but not tested yet, is to drop the mentality a little. We can look a little rushed and we force that final pass, which isn't great when we are outnumbered. I don't want to become toothless but, maybe playing as Balanced or even Cautious, as well as knocking the DL back a bit, could allow them to come out. We do have that marginal gains of working hard on set pieces too, should all else fail!

37 minutes ago, danielgear said:

Been away for a while so had to catch up, Unlucky with the third place finish but I think it’s probably better for the long term of your stint here. 
Some nice well thought out signings as always and I enjoyed the IWB footedness talk.

But for me the staff development is something I have been doing more this year, I’ve found waiving compensation for managerial roles helps them get chances to move on ensuring a turnover of staff to develop (compenstation is usually peanuts anyway) I do wish there was more ways to develop than just coaching courses as with real life you imagine they pick up traits/styles depending on the club they work for. 

Title this season and Europa league? 

I will get to the compensation bit when I next renew their deals - good idea, that!

Hopefully, I can begin to learn how to analyse the staff as to see what their PA could be and whether it's worth time and effort into these coaching badges.

Europa League - maybe! League - no! We're still not good enough to challenge Zenit over the whole season.

16 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

Good month of results, with those draws away from home. Accruing points instead of losing the game is definitely better, especially when a loss could have put a slight gap between you and Zenit early on in the season. Bonus that all games had no goals conceded :thup: 

If teams are parking the bus, do you think you have the players who are clinical enough to finish the half chances created? That might be the next type of player needed to be added to your team.

Certainly thinking of next summer as a big recruitment opportunity. It's our first season playing an F9 so I had no expectations of what I wanted and, to be fair, Volkaganov does a good job. The midfielders are scoring but imagine if I was able to upgrade the role to someone of the quality of Joao Felix, below, for example. I think the big money goes on a really world class forward as I have Barreto, Hylnsson, Zherebjatev and then some quality youth in the centre of the park and I'm maybe missing that link!

18f2d15334cba774351fb72fbf54a27b.png

Losing Barreto for 6 weeks is rough. Zherebyatjev's been popping up with a lot of goals so far, though, so hopefully not too insurmountable a loss.

Despite dropping points, there looks to be quite a few positives.  Most games xG seems to be averaging 0.1 per chance, and defensively very impressive.  That's a good combo for snatching wins off your competition when those games come round.