FM22 Schalke 04: "Cant pay, we'll take away"

jackripper

Schalke 04 2021/22

Introduction

Money is the root of all evil is what they say but tell that to any Newcastle fans right now and they wont care. Money to spend like its nothing should potentially see them build a team that could eventually challenge the top 4 in England, lets not forget where Man City and Chelsea were before they got pumped full of cash…..dirty stinking cash. While Newcastle could become the new kids on the block theres the other end of the scale in which clubs are struggling to survive. Teams like Derby nearly going bust or the financial mess we have seen many times before such as Rangers for instance who had to rebrand and rebuild from the bottom up.

So where do we start our managerial career? Money bags Newcastle to see how far we can take them with unlimited cash? The Manchester United rebuild? Nope we travel across the channel to Germany with a club who the last few years have fallen hard both on the pitch and off it also, we head off to fallen club Schalke 04.

For those who don’t know Schalke are recognised as being one of Germany's biggest clubs but that title could be far from the truth. A relegation last season to the German 2nd division, a team that many critics say are not even good enough for the 2nd division never mind the Bundesliga. A team that recently had 5 managers in a desperate bid to save the club.

For those interested this in an interesting article describing the fall of Schalke

https://themastermindsite.com/2021/04/28/schalkes-devastating-fall-from-grace-tactical-analysis/

Tactic wise they seem to play my preferred formation of  a 4-2-3-1 which i will discuss my tactics later on. The club is a mess and my thinking behind the club is to clear the debt while try and push for a promotion at the first attempt. Holding onto my players will also be a struggle with such huge debts. The club has produced many talents in the recent years such as Manuel Neur so the youth system is there something we will need to rely on quite a lot. Im guessing with the debt we have we will probably end up losing a lot of stars we create but clearing the debt is a must.

(going to start the save on full release but checked on beta and we start with around minus £27million as a balance and a debt payable until 2044 so lots of work to do to rebuild this club)

7 hours ago, jackripper said:

Not gonna like i have no idea who he is hahaha, i dont know anything about the team or its players but il learn as i go along. 

I believe he is 1 goal away from being the all time top scorer in the German second division, so you should have no issues with finding the back of the net if you give him service

12 hours ago, KeegBCFC said:

I believe he is 1 goal away from being the all time top scorer in the German second division, so you should have no issues with finding the back of the net if you give him service

oh really then i will deffo look to use him then if he seems to be a goal machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying Schalke so far, some really good youngsters in Calhanoglu, Aydin, Fehler, Thiaw and a few others as well as some tricky high earners to move on in Fahrmann and Sane who've I've kept at a huge burden to my wage budget. Couldn't sell Sane due to injury, so thought I'd rather have him for 6 months as I didn't need additional CB's, and Fahrmann is a quality GK who I'll hopefully be able to reap the rewards with in promotion.

2nd after 11 games, have only sold Langer (on a free) to free up 10k wages to bring in a solid back room staffing set up. Interested to see how the finances go (have been getting big money friendlies in during the international breaks) if/when I get promoted, as I can see it being a huge issue if we don't go up and the loanees return to the wage bill!

Schalke 04: The start begins

First day in the job and first thing we discuss is probably one of the most important for Schalke. The finances, well the lack of finances should I say. So we start with a minus balance of £57 million and a £219million debt to start with. This challenge is going to be bigger than first anticipated. 

FC-Schalke-04-Summary.png

FC-Schalke-04-Debt-and-Loans.png

however a few days later I open up my emails and have been advised a change in our finances with the board restructing our debt which short term is good but long term im not so sure. The new debt restructure is below

FC-Schalke-04-Summary-2.png

FC-Schalke-04-Debt-and-Loans-2.png

Hopefully with a bit of luck and hard work we manage to produce one or two youngsters who could potentially move on to bigger clubs for huge money, that however is the same for every club in recent times. Its going to take a few years before we can even dream of having a transfer budget so feeding on the scraps it is.

On 20/11/2021 at 13:15, rastaman219 said:

Have you had much luck clearing away any of the big earners? I managed to shift Sané for 500k in December, which gave a nice bit of play in the wage budget and also freed up a 250k in the transfer budget, although no luck with Fahrmann

Havent sold anyone yet finding it tough to sell players at the moment.