Is selling players intentionally so difficult?

So I'm playing Chelsea and at the end of the first season, I put Pulisic, Kante and Kovacic up for sale. Each of them had a very good season and each had guide values well in excess of 70m - Pulisic over 100m. Not being greedy, when I couldn't get a decent offer (we're talking offers of 20m), I reduced my asking price to a mere 50m for each and expected to have my hand bitten off. Not a sniff! The occasional bid of up to 30m.  So I kept them and tried to sell them a season later - which I also failed to do despite asking well below their guide values. I know the market is dead but it's a little unrealistic that clubs can't shift quality players at decent prices in my opinion.

those values are probably only applicable if you're not actively trying to sell them, i.e. they're playing well and they get interest. You offer them out and the game will treat them as if they're transfer listed, which will mean those estimated values will probably be cut by 40-60%. 

Nah, it's very realistic that clubs can't get rid of unwanted players on huge wages. Barcelona had that problem this summer. If they had been able to sell players like Coutinho maybe Messi would still be there, but teams are reluctant to pay a transfer fee and then huge wages for a player. Plenty of other older examples too. James Rodriguez was stuck at Real for ages with them unable to get rid of him on anything other than loan deals. They wanted to get rid of Bale as well but couldn't.

It's easy to sell players when teams want to buy them, but when it's the other way round and you're trying to sell it can (and should) be difficult. Especially since they're likely all on very high wages that the new club would be expected to at least match for the player to agree to the transfer. I mean, if say Kante was only on a tenner a week you'd probably have a bunch of teams interested. But 50m for the transfer and then like 300k+ per week for a 31 year old Kante? Seems like a pretty bad deal to me.

If you have players with wages like these guys, then its definitely difficult, but at the same time, its also realistic. If their wage demands were more affordable, then they'd have heaps of interest. Personally if i recieved an offer of 30m, i'd negotiate it up to see how much the buying club would realistically pay, and sell. 

38 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Nah, it's very realistic that clubs can't get rid of unwanted players on huge wages. Barcelona had that problem this summer. If they had been able to sell players like Coutinho maybe Messi would still be there, but teams are reluctant to pay a transfer fee and then huge wages for a player. Plenty of other older examples too. James Rodriguez was stuck at Real for ages with them unable to get rid of him on anything other than loan deals. They wanted to get rid of Bale as well but couldn't.

It's easy to sell players when teams want to buy them, but when it's the other way round and you're trying to sell it can (and should) be difficult. Especially since they're likely all on very high wages that the new club would be expected to at least match for the player to agree to the transfer. I mean, if say Kante was only on a tenner a week you'd probably have a bunch of teams interested. But 50m for the transfer and then like 300k+ per week for a 31 year old Kante? Seems like a pretty bad deal to me.

I get the Kante thing but Pulisic wasn't even for sale, playing well and PSG offered me something ridiculous like 26m. I only offered him to clubs when I saw there was a long list interested in his services thinking that I could get his worth, but even then they offered 34-36 million. For me that's not realistic,

If you offer a player to other clubs, you are stating that you are no longer interested in their services so they will be looked on in exactly the same way as one who is transfer listed.  If you add to this their current wage levels, then it is, I suspect, perfectly reasonable that clubs will be looking to buy at a substantial discount from the in-game value.

That's one of the problems of managing in the Premiership, the wages!! The AI will consider the entire investment so them trying to short change you is because the player will want big wages, sign on fee, agent fee etc Plus, with the listed players they'll try it on anyway 

I get what you're saying but there is no way a club would offer 20 odd million for a happy player who is not listed and valued at over 100 million. I'm not saying I have to get face value every time, or even be able to sell all the players I want to - in fact, I'd prefer no bid rather that stupidly derisory offers.

9 hours ago, FrazT said:

If you offer a player to other clubs, you are stating that you are no longer interested in their services so they will be looked on in exactly the same way as one who is transfer listed.  If you add to this their current wage levels, then it is, I suspect, perfectly reasonable that clubs will be looking to buy at a substantial discount from the in-game value.

Does this not depend on whether the player has any interest?

I have Pablo Mari (I don't want him, he's still listed as a squad player but wanted by 2 lower table sides) who has a transfer value of £12m-£15m. Offered him out for £15m, next day got 2 bids at £15m.

50 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

I have Pablo Mari (I don't want him, he's still listed as a squad player but wanted by 2 lower table sides) who has a transfer value of £12m-£15m. Offered him out for £15m, next day got 2 bids at £15m.

low wages easy to sell

tried to do the same with Pepe as there was a lot of interest all bids were low with selling team wage contribution

4 hours ago, xiuxiuejar said:

I get what you're saying but there is no way a club would offer 20 odd million for a happy player who is not listed and valued at over 100 million. I'm not saying I have to get face value every time, or even be able to sell all the players I want to - in fact, I'd prefer no bid rather that stupidly derisory offers.

You also have to take into account that premier league wages and player values are heavily inflated compared to the overall transfer market and there are only a handful of teams that can afford to pay that kind of premium. The AI clubs will almost never bid for a player that has no interest in them. So if the top 10 elite clubs are not interested then no matter how much you offer there will be no deal because Pulisic will not want to play for Fulham even if they can afford him. In fact when I play FM I rarely buy players from the premier league because there is always a similar player available for a discounted price in Ligue 1 and Serie A.

12 minutes ago, Showerman said:

low wages easy to sell

tried to do the same with Pepe as there was a lot of interest all bids were low with selling team wage contribution

Did wonder whether that would be the case to be honest. Might just be the exception rather than the rule

Known thing for me aswell but it can be abit realistic as they have high wages. But perhaps there needs to be a factor in players character to move on even if he gets less somewhere else, as that happens in Real Life. A thing SI could look into. Anyway a solution might be to offer them and put a clause in that you will pay abit of the wages untill his contract ends, the contract he has at your club. Could help. 

2 hours ago, gunner86 said:

the board blocked my Pablo Mari sale! wouldn't let me sell him for £12.5m!

Not had a problem selling players in fm22.

Teams are bidding all the time for players who i haven't got for sale

Got rid of mctominey for 42 million, dalot for 44 million, martial for 32million and rid of van de beek for 54 million all in one summer after placing them on the transfer list.

One thing in 2022 (beta atleast) is that players are willing to take huge wagecuts. As Arsenal I managed to sign Mbappe on a free and his wage was cut from £425k a week to £250k a week.
I sold Lacazette to Newcaste, he was making 185k at Arsenal but signed for Newcastle for 100k a week.