343 / 523 Roles

I'm trying to put together a totally new system for me and I'm going round in circles confusing myself.

Looking to put together a basicish 343 wide and struggling with a couple of roles

As it stands it is

AF(a)

AP(s)                                 IF(a)

????  dlp(d)

wb (s)                               wb(s)

wcb(d)   bpd(d)   wc(d)

gk(d)

TIs are

shorter passing

play out of defence

higher tempo

fairly narrow

distribute to full backs

counter

Higher def

lower LOE

press more often 

get stuck in

In attack the idea is for the AP to draw players to the left hand side of the field, giving space for my af and if with the wingbacks offering width. I'm not looking to press aggressively in the opposition half but ideally looking for a strong mid block and a counter

My main question is the 2nd centre midfield. Do I need more running from deep, would a mezzala be too aggressive or does the three man defence plus holding midfield offer enough cover.

Thanks in advance

Definitely would try a runner from deep to play that area. Would start with a Mez(a) or CM(a). Watch their spacing/width and see which one you like better. 

If you feel he is too adventurous then switch to a Mez(s) or BBM(s). Again watching width will determine which fits your system better.

It all depends on what you want the second midfielder to do. WCBs revolutionise the ME. They create new movement, new patterns of play, new overloads. Everything.

It means that you can be brave with a midfield two as long as you accept the potential risks. I'm using an AP on Support and BBM at the moment with no DM and WCBs on Support and it creates beautiful interplay.

4 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

It all depends on what you want the second midfielder to do. WCBs revolutionise the ME. They create new movement, new patterns of play, new overloads. Everything.

It means that you can be brave with a midfield two as long as you accept the potential risks. I'm using an AP on Support and BBM at the moment with no DM and WCBs on Support and it creates beautiful interplay.

Agreed. I would be aggressive with my midfield 2 in a 5-2-3 now that the WCB exists.

What I am finding is that you need to be careful with both defensive and attacking transitions; the space between the defence and midfield is important to keep an eye on. I'm tinkering with a 5-2-1-2 WB and 5-1-2-2 WB. Same setups defensively and offensively but with very different midfield characteristics. Watching how a WCB defence shifts through transitions and how midfields position themselves relative to that movement is key. You can do some really interesting stuff and then need to figure out how to knit it all together with the forward line.

I am looking myself to set up some kind of 3 center back tactic in game once I have the appropriate players for the tactic (probably after the first season).

We are currently in 3.Liga in Germany and let's see if we can get promoted. I used a 3-2(wb)-2-1-2 formation with some success with Frankfurt last year but I am not sure if the 3 at the back is more for better clubs. 

I am actually thinking about one pushing the wing backs further up to ML/R or even AML/R with a DM. I had a 3-4-1-2 with Fiorentina a couple of years back that also worked quite well. Again always clubs in the highest league of their country and with a potential of top 5. 

I suppose one can use any tactic no matter the league but if the players are just not that great some tactics may be too risky and it is better to stick to two banks of 4?