FM22: ¡Viva el Betis manque pierda!

SteinkelssonFM

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Liking this....I enjoy following careers at "Sleeping Giants"....whatever the country!

I'm guessing you have a two year window before Real Madrid brings in Mbappe or Haalland!

Also interested on your take on possesion based football for a team with a lack of height! Since I tend to like to have tall players in my teams (5'10/175cm or taller) and still try to play Vertical Tiki-Taka.

@DefinitelyTaylor I hope you follow for the duration.

@Hootieleece appreciated, given the fact that Betis haven't secured UCL football since 2005/06 I think this has to be the first milestone to achieve. 

In relation to my take on possession based football with a team that lack in height...betis balompié is the name of the club which translates to foot-ball. The game is played with your feet and I intend to keep it that way haha. 

13 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Really like your first draft system! Attacking but with out throwing too many at it. Calculated stuff. As always your depth of research and analysis is incredible and inspiring  

Appreciated mate, I hope you follow this one through the duration. In terms of the tactic...I am yet to even play a game of FM22 as wanted to fly blind in prep for the 9th. 

I have never used an AP placed in the wide channel and it's a role which I don't think many others have used from there either. 

Definitely going to need to work out some KPIs for the key roles as I think without setting a benchmark this system could potentially lack a little cutting edge. 

Saying that I do believe it is the best given the players I have at my disposal

3 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Appreciated mate, I hope you follow this one through the duration. In terms of the tactic...I am yet to even play a game of FM22 as wanted to fly blind in prep for the 9th. 

I have never used an AP placed in the wide channel and it's a role which I don't think many others have used from there either. 

Definitely going to need to work out some KPIs for the key roles as I think without setting a benchmark this system could potentially lack a little cutting edge. 

Saying that I do believe it is the best given the players I have at my disposal

I used a AP wide around FM18! Or whenever the mezzala was first introduced. I found the two caused havoc together! 

I’m like yourself doing my homework on the beta before the 9th when I’ll start the save!! I’ll probably write a little intro Monday/Tuesday but I’d do well to have as much analysis as yourself 

Have to agree - excellent analysis. Should be a fun save.

Like the look of the tactic, especially interested in seeing how the possession instructions work with the pass into space and shoot on sight TIs. I really like that - be patient out of the back but then take chances when they come. 

I tried a wide AP in FM19 in a 4-3-3, but ended up changing it to a IF(s). Strangely found he played more as an AP (lots of assists) more effectively than when actually assigned the role of AP - and also scored more.  Depends on the player, tactic, etc of course and I see no reason why it won’t work for you here.

Edited by 13th Man

5 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Have to agree - excellent analysis. Should be a fun save.

Like the look of the tactic, especially interested in seeing how the possession instructions work with the pass into space and shoot on sight TIs. I really like that - be patient out of the back but then take chances when they come. 

I tried a wide AP in FM19 in a 4-3-3, but ended up changing it to a IF(s). Strangely found he played more as an AP (lots of assists) more effectively than when actually assigned the role of AP - and also scored more.  Depends on the player, tactic, etc of course and I see no reason why it won’t work for you here.

I am trying to replicate a bit of what Pellegrini has achieved with the squad this season. Betis boast the 6th highest possession and the 2nd highest passes in La Liga whilst have had the second highest shot figure along with leading in terms of through balls. 

Glad to hear that you have had some joy with a wide AP, I am hoping Canales can do well in this role and will set a benchmark in terms of KPIs later in the thread, his will revolve around through balls. 

20 hours ago, Matt_1979 said:

Great stuff as always Matty. Roll on the 9th!!

Mate I'm counting down the days like a child at Christmas! 

20 hours ago, john1 said:

Loving the depth of writing into this :cool: I was also going to pick Betis but went for Saint-Étienne.

Can't wait for this!

A French save, I spent a large bulk of FM21 with OGC Nice and thoroughly enjoyed it! I wish you all the best for your save and hope you enjoy this thread as it progresses

20 hours ago, abulezz said:

Great intro into the save - can't wait to read more. 

Thanks for taking the time to get up to speed with the save. Two intro's hopefully has set the scene. 

Investing in potential 

I have again drawn inspiration for this post from the book, The European Game: The Secrets of European Football Success and the chapter surrounding Financial Investment in Potential Growth (FIPG). 

This term is defined as 'a refusal to spend beyond ones means, whilst ensuring profit can be made'. All clubs are able to partake in the process of investing in potential and seeing as I have four days to spare until the full release of FM22 I thought it would be interesting to delve into the depths of other La Liga sides to provide examples of where they sit on the hierarchy of wealth pyramid in comparison to Betis.

Given the state of the finances within the club 

image.thumb.png.8202df671129d6be8212d444bdb70331.png

1. Super Clubs - Starting at the top (definitely the most easiest of places) the duty of the super-club is to make expensive purchases and record debt in the pursuit of success. These clubs are least likely to invest in potential and choose instead to purchase ready-made stars. 

Barcelona despite being on the verge of bankruptcy (1.35bn euro) and Real Madrid with their history of signing Galacticos certainly are the duo of super-clubs from La Liga. Looking at the sides transfer activity over the past five seasons both clubs have made a net loss (Barcelona  -£186m and Madrid -£4m).

However, this doesn't tell the full story and only when scrolling through their transfer history on Transfermarkt it is clear to see how both clubs not only have a history of completing big money signings (Barcelona £108m for Antoine Griezmann, £74m for Luis Suarez and £121m for Philippe Coutinho / Madrid £103.5m for Eden Hazard and £84m for Cristiano Ronaldo and £90m for Gareth Bale) , but recruit players who are proven in terms of their current ability with the view to continue to keep the club within the list of Europe's elite. 

image.png.5463b36165c18762b37fcba5c233a840.png

2. Major Achievers - Atletico sit on the threshold of becoming a super club as the 13th most valuable club in the world, as ranked by Deloitte in 2021. FIPG allows poorer clubs to become wealthy over time and therefore more likely to triumph. Sevilla are a great example of this as they have become the most frequent winners of the Europa League with the mastermind behind the success Monchi, the Director of Football. 

If you are keen to replicate Sevilla's recruitment model in FM, please have a read of my piece, Monchi Masterclass - Removing the luck factor from recruitment.

Over the last ten years Sevilla have sold a range of their star players to the super-clubs, four players to Barcelona(Clement Lenglet, Ivan Rakitic, Aleix Vidal and Luuk de Jong) along with three to PSG (Grzegorz Krychowiak, Pablo Sarabia and Sergio Rico). Whilst Atletico have seen talents such as Rodri and Sergio Aguero move to Manchester City along with Griezmann to Barcelona and Diego Costa and Filipe Luis to Chelsea. 

image.png.1d9b170e712417bd6e92fe5cb062c1c9.png

3. Mid-tier Achievers - The mid-tier achievers, these clubs have shown their ability to secure signings from super-clubs, often individuals who are surplus to requirements - offering a second home and the chance to re-build their reputations. Great examples of this are Giovani Lo Celso move from PSG to Betis, Rodi's move from Villarreal to Atletico

Other players have used the mid-tier sides to build their reputation prior to making the next step up the pyramid e.g. Samu Castillejo using Villarreal to springboard his services to AC Milan whilst Andre Gomes used Valencia as his stopping point to Barcelona from Benfica. 

Real Sociedad have seen the likes of Diego Llorente use the club to stabilise his career after being sold by Real Madrid prior to his £18m move to Leeds. Alexander Isak will no doubt be the next layer to move up the pyramid and the return to a super club after he signed from Dortmund at 19-years of age after he was surplus to requirements. 

image.png.37b777caa7372db43c7328bf89760141.png

4. Marginal Achievers - a transfer approach which offers consistent marginal gains to allow for reinvestment in both facilities and better players, a club with a long-term strategy.

After watching Six Dreams on amazon Prime it was clear to see that both Levante and Mallorca have a long-term marketing strategy with the goal to reinvest monies to improve the clubs facilities and scout the market to sign individuals to help maintain their status as a La Liga club.

image.png.e6c87b1bdeae00ba29be052a6843111a.png

5. Youth Developers - a club which has a clear pathway for youngsters into the first-team, if a player is sold on an academy talent is able to emerge and fill his place. The collective is more important than any individual cog.

The history of 'Los Leones' is incredibly unique given the desire of other top European clubs to spend astronomical amounts on talent from all over the world. Athletic Bilbao have built there legacy by trusting in local talent, the clubs motto of "Con cantera y aficion, no hace falta importacion" translates to "with home-grown talent and local support, there's no need for imports. 

The side lead the line in terms of former academy players within the first team in La Liga with 17, the second placed clubs Real Sociedad and Barcelona both have 13. 

image.png.af8b7a5f9c42a84fa9b5138cad7dd15a.png

With a little more focus on Betis for FM purposes, the below image shows where the majority of signings have come from over the past 10 years, note that despite the large volumes of players the values of the deals aren't excessive. Betis is broke! The largest fee paid was £25m to Espanyol for the services of Borja Iglesias. whilst other deals were to bring in aged/experienced professionals such as Pezzella, Joaquin and Juan Vargas from Florence.

image.png.8a802cb4359048ff5270e568e844ff45.png

Looking at the departures, you will note that the deals have been agreed with those both below and above Betis in the pyramid. Many have been completed with little return on investment which again is no doubt as to why the clubs financial health isn't in the strongest position.

image.png.64b902e4bff03bdb62c9170d5b9035c5.png

There is no doubt that recruitment in this save will be a challenge, it will be my aim to strengthen Betis' position as a mid-tier achiever prior to looking to advance them to a major achiever through my data driven approach to recruitment. 

16 minutes ago, Chris_ANZFM said:

An interesting read there mate! Interesting to see the league broken down like this. Sure most of us FM players can pop themselves somewhere on that pyramid too. 

Thanks Chris, yes absolutely like most things I expect we all classify teams in certain ways but this model is something which I feel captures it in a good way.

Given the situation at Barcelona I wonder if they will shift to turn their attentions back to La Masia and prioritise development now over big money signings? 

10 hours ago, Matt_1979 said:

Excellent stuff matty. 

As always mate, appreciate your time to read and comment, where would you position Girona for your save? 

18 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Thanks Chris, yes absolutely like most things I expect we all classify teams in certain ways but this model is something which I feel captures it in a good way.

Given the situation at Barcelona I wonder if they will shift to turn their attentions back to La Masia and prioritise development now over big money signings? 

As always mate, appreciate your time to read and comment, where would you position Girona for your save? 

Create another segment at the bottom called: “only sign players on free contracts” and you’re about there 😂

Pre-season

After opting to not play FM22 during the BETA stage, the announcement of an early release with Miles pressing the RED button at HQ was music to my ears! From that point until now I have managed to optimise the database of use (c100k players) spanning across 24 nations, carry out the usual pre click 'continue' tasks (staff recruitment, squad analysis, training schedules, individual position training etc) all in record time! Let's ignore the fact that all of these I pretty much completed during the BETA in order to hit the ground (save) running. 

image.thumb.png.56602f374bdf0fb75165b7d57fcf757b.png 

For those of you who will ask, this is the detail within the save and below the moment we have all been waiting for;

Capture.PNG.c1d3adcfdbc9d5f39e2af309b25520b1.PNG

Given the fact that I would be looking to establish a possession based game with Betis, despite the lack of a DLP (a role which I have often relied upon in order to play a possession based game) the first port 0f call was to attempt to improve the clubs coaching team. With three additional slots available I wanted to ensure that a decent possession (Technical) coach was initially signed in order to attempt to transmit my game model to the playing staff.

DB.thumb.PNG.c28681477b67f28e681596c2c47317f1.PNG

Dennis the "Non-Flying Dutchman" is the man I have opted to put my faith in, his appointment comes from outside of the realms of the beautifully produced 5 star coaching staff publication which they create each year. Dennis was brought up through Ajax's world famous youth academy and was managed by Johan Cruyff, he not only brings a wealth of experience into the dressing room but also boasts a 'perfectionist' personality. 

I do hope he is willing to work for his 3.2k per week as he will no doubt be shocked to find out that my initial schedule will focus heavily on 'Attacking patient', Ball retention etc.

image.thumb.png.36e318951f2ca889eba68b968ab0278b.png

There is still plenty to do off-the-field with most training areas sitting on three to three and a half starts, Possession leads the way the only area which currently boasts four stars in both tactical and technical.

Pre-Season Results

Pre-season.thumb.PNG.a24e3c3f6b373f49fb68e7ef50d350d8.PNG

A pretty decent pre-season for Betis, we managed to arrange a few friendlies against teams (Real Sporting and Wydad Casablanca) who were touring near our pre-season camp of Jerez de la Frontera which is located within Andalusia.  This ensured that I could rotate the players thoroughly, providing sufficient exposure to match intensity for the majority of the squad. At face value, looking purely at the scorers you will note that we have been pretty reliant on our DLF whether that be Borja or Willian . 

The relative low level of reputation opponent in the early stages of this block of fixtures allowed me to integrate some of the youth into the set-up to establish which players might be the lucky ones who will secure first-team debuts. (keeping the objective in mind).

Possession.png.25cde47653d951c2701abba724a9ae40.png

The sides ability to hold onto the ball has been refreshing, especially considering we had 58% of the ball against Liverpool and 57% against Manchester United. Yes a large volume of this was not in their attacking-third but remember Rome was not built in a day and neither was Seville.

map.PNG.f168930ede60aca7404376427788fe23.PNG

I have taken the pass map from the Liverpool game which shows a decent shape, there are plenty of triangles available to see without the use of a microscope which again emphasises that we are on the right track. I would most certainly look to see a few more diagonal lines in the box between the CD and DM, this will improve I hope when have improved our confidence on the ball. Canales (10) as the advanced playmaker looked to only have one outlet, a back pass to the supporting WB. 

This was a worry for me given the fact that initially I opted to field two DM's in the double pivot (support and defend) I therefore have already been a little trigger happy in terms of the tactic and have changed one DM to a VOL (attack) as I am hoping this role will provide a better link as we transition from defence to attack. 

187868256_LaLiga.PNG.c5381f3f6a5d36abcbb33121e8013072.PNG

The opening few fixtures from La Liga which I will have to navigate through can be seen above. I will look to provide you with an update on the save after these have been completed, hopefully by which time we will have discovered our fate in the Europa League. 

Edited by SteinkelssonFM

2 hours ago, Matt_1979 said:

Excellent start Matty. It’ll be interesting to see how the SV does. Someone with a good engine should provide passing outlets the length of the pitch. 

image.thumb.png.10769eded017a3cf4342b8057024c5a2.png

Thanks mate, bit of a round peg in a square whole at the moment in terms of Rodriguez playing the role as he is lacking in stamina. I would also like for him to have better long shots and off the ball for a heightened influence in the final third. 

3 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

image.thumb.png.10769eded017a3cf4342b8057024c5a2.png

Thanks mate, bit of a round peg in a square whole at the moment in terms of Rodriguez playing the role as he is lacking in stamina. I would also like for him to have better long shots and off the ball for a heightened influence in the final third. 

He should do the job until you can get someone else in if the role fits the tactic. Maybe set him to shoot less. 

I would have to say that I did have initial concerns over this formation, although pre-season has shown that maybe I should have been a little more optimistic! 

Happy to be able to get some game time in, it was pretty painful watching everyone else have fun during the BETA stage! 

Thanks for commenting @Chris_ANZFM

Stamina is an important attribute this year. My team isn't great in that department and it shows in giving up late goals. Since we press!

Also, I would suggest being more selective with your OI's because the old "press everyone and man mark 3-4" doesn't quite work anymore.

The important thing is to man mark playmakers and other suppliers.

13 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Thanks for the heads up @Hootieleecein relation to the OI's surrounding pressing. 

Stamina isn't an attribute which we have in abundance due to the aged squad.

Do you switch your without the ball TI's throughout the game to press heavily in periods rather than consistently? 

I am still working out how to go about it, but I have an aging squad as well with many players over 30.

Right now, I am trying the Waste time TI when I have a lead since my team generally has more of the ball. 

I generally still press Suppliers, and Man Mark as well any Leading Assisters, but I am only pressing and marking about 5-6 players instead of everyone.

August 2021

The first competitive fixture as Manager of Betis would see me face Athletic Club, a club whose form has deteriorated in the recent years since Ernesto Valverde’s departure, the Basque outfit finished the 20/21 La Liga campaign in 10th place. 

Selection for this fixture was straight forward, picking the strongest side possible with the view to securing the victory. I am a firm believer that the result from the opening league fixture can often set the tone for the season ahead, this is speaking from experience as a now seasoned rugby player. 

I also believe that every dog has their day, you shouldn’t walk into any fixture expecting to win! Players need to not run the risk of going through the motions, the message was clear from the pre-match interview, we were out to secure the result. 

Athletic Club - Joaquin opened the scoring in the 13th minute after Alex Moreno hit a low cross across the six yard box which somehow found the veteran at the far post who tapped the ball into an empty net (0.64 xG).   A few minutes later Borja Iglesias played the role of the DLF to perfection, dropping into zone 14 pulling a defender with him from the defensive line. This created space for Joaquin to attack and the winger needed no second invitation as he used every last drop of his 13 acceleration before calmly slotting the ball past the keeper.

DLF.thumb.PNG.2717b390d668f4cf083c789affd67112.PNG

Joaquin clearly wanted to mark becoming Betis’ record holder (Oldest Player) with a special performance and moments later he earned the match ball after receiving the ball again from Iglesias from outside the box and driving past his man and dispatching his shot. 

26 minutes in Fekir added the fourth at which point I quite simply couldn’t contain my excitement and fired across a screen-shot to MATT. Joaquin provided the assist from a corner to Iglesias after 46 minutes, fortunately for Athletic club no further goals were scored in what simply was an exceptional performance from Betis and the old boy Sanchez.

J10.PNG.718445451876f944ef30b87a3a7608a9.PNG

Rayo Vallecano - We travelled to the capital for the next game and opted to only bring in tow new faces to the starting eleven. Pezzella was drafted in for Victor Ruiz whilst Victor Camarasa slid in for Guido Rodriguez who picked up a bruised thigh during training.

Thankfully Camarasa rewarded us with his selection by opening the scoring after three minutes, the early goal put Rayo under pressure from the off and forced them to come onto Betis. A brace from Borja secured all three points for Betis before Guardiola scored a consolation for the home side, the scoring was rounded off by Juanmi who entered the action at the break.

RV.PNG.c0e060211bc88faec87b29b175df007b.PNG

Getafe - Entering into the Getafe match I opted to make wholesale changes as we have 19 players within the first-team set-up that express their expectations to be either a regular starter or important player over the next five matches.

expectations.PNG.182ab3f311b4f9a989acd44b5594c75c.PNG

The above can be found under the Squad menu>Players tab> Playing time view.

There is a need to attempt to keep individuals happy, especially in this initial phase whilst I establish exactly who I can rely on in terms of outputs and consistency.

1st.PNG.256722c5e64121d0eeaf3cf4d87ace18.PNG

Above is an image which shows our shots from the first half of the Getafe game, a match which at the break we were being held. The visual may appear to be pleasing but when watching the match it was clear to see that if changes wouldn't have been made we probably wouldn't have scored if the game lasted 180 minutes. 

This forced the introduction of individuals which I have already established as being key (Borja, Bellerin, Bartra) whilst Camarasa was rewarded after his previous performance.

xG.PNG.ae6cb9ba29e09a214e56ad94ce69f106.PNG

The above shows how the xG story spiked in the second period, when looking at the analytical data, key passes in particular, it was clear to see that the changes impacted the game. We had a greater success in relation to chance creation from within the final third from both wide channels. The key to unlocking a well organised Getafe defence was getting outside them and putting them under pressure in the air. 

After making it three wins on the bounce Borja was rewarded to his fine start to the season as he collected the POM accolade. The Spaniard rewarding his new manager with seven goal contributions (five goals, two assists) after trusting him to lead the line despite the acquisition of Jose. 

borja.thumb.PNG.b97a44dc12c0625975e9d76ba66ef407.PNG

The Europa League

Europa.PNG.052bcf7aa92d534a1cefd0ee75cacb1d.PNG

The group is going to be a challenge to say the least! 

I will continue to provide a monthly update on the save and will start to draw upon some of the in-game per 90 metrics either in the next update or the one after as we look to explore who are the best performers in the team for certain roles. we can discuss setting KPI's for metrics which are deemed as being key to success, using these as a benchmark for both selection and of course future recruitment plans. 

Edited by SteinkelssonFM

I think around the 10 game mark is far enough into the save to have a solid baseline and enough rotation.

I can also share at that point a few of the early reports that my scouts have identified from around the globe. 

21 minutes ago, Matt_1979 said:

You had me at “KPIs for metrics”. 🤤

Players are especially whiny about playing time this version, do make your changes in playing time but also keep the group dynamics in mind. Try and make sure you don't really tamper with Team Leaders or Highly influential otherwise you might end up with a player revolt!

Also, players and their Agents when they talk about the changes are much more threatening and argumentative.

A Good Captain and Vice-Captain are a godsend this year.