Possession in fm 22

2 hours ago, (sic) said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

With those instructions it just looks weird that your strikers are pressing central midfielders + central defenders + fullbacks and six of yours players are marking those two advanced forwards. I'm not saying such scenario shouldn't happen it could be a good example how defending looks when team is tired but I can easily imagine how white team can pass the ball endlessly at the back with such defending. Imo your MCs are not doing their job at all. And forward #36 positioning is even more confusing. Is he on support duty or AMC maybe?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Mitja said:

With those instructions it just looks weird that your strikers are pressing central midfielders + central defenders + fullbacks and six of yours players are marking those two advanced forwards. I'm not saying such scenario shouldn't happen it could be a good example how defending looks when team is tired but I can easily imagine how white team can pass the ball endlessly at the back with such defending. Imo your MCs are not doing their job at all. And forward #36 positioning is even more confusing. Is he on support duty or AMC maybe?

That seems to be the problem, MCs don't seem to push high enough to press. No 36. is CF-S, Breel Embolo - 16 Work Rate, 16 Aggression, 17 Bravery. Also that was in the first half of the match, they weren't tired at that point.

My no.15 and no.36 (SS-A, CF-S) do close down once the ball gets to DM/CM. But as you can see CBs can just stand still with the ball and they wont get closed down.

I also noticed in my last game against Atletico, that players actually were closing down their backline sometimes.

But even here we see the issue. No.10 should've marked the no.22 LCB to prevent Saul (central) from passing it to him.

spacer.png

You can't press without numbers and without standing close to opponent. It's simple as that. The above is a good example of what happens when the ball carrier is pressed and passing lanes cut off. (Poor decision to pass back to right centre back by Saul)

4 hours ago, jandito said:

Here it is. In possession instructions that don't fit into screenshot: short passing, play out of defence, work ball into box.

Genuinely happy to take feedback on the tactic and how I can get it to press better. I created it myself and I'm not really an expert like some are. 

Roma Tactic.png

Have you tried playing a formation with stronger wide coverage? Personally I would agree with @crusadertsar that there is nobody to pressure opposition fullbacks.

4 hours ago, jandito said:

With my full backs. I have my defensive line as high as it will go and have set my full backs to press high. As you can see with the initial screenshots I posted though, it's not just pressing in wide areas that's an issue.

Relying on your fullbacks to press the opposition wide players is a definite structural issue.

1. They have to run the full length of the field to press the opposition fullback
  2. Even the fastest player in the world would allow ample time for the opposition to get the ball away
  3. When he arrives he's left some very dangerous space for opposition AMR/L or AMR/L
  4. I'd expect him to be gassed doing that pretty quickly

Narrower shapes can be very good medium or low block systems. That won't give you the pressing you want but you might see better football overall.

If you want to make that setup work in a high-press, I'd suggest that you need hard working players at AMCL/R and also MCL/R and have them cover the wide areas between them and the rest shift across.

My other observation would be that you have a positive team mentality and 4 attacking duties. That means your AMCR and ST both have Very Attacking individual mentalities and your wingbacks are both Attacking. Wingbacks probably fine, but I wouldn't like two players with Very Attacking mentalities in a system aiming to press when you need everybody working together collectively.

Hope this helps :thup:

7 hours ago, jandito said:

That's impressive but I created the tactic myself so haven't really plugged anything in.. 

In terms of having the right players, my pressing forward is Tammy Abraham. This is his best role according to the game and he has a work rate of 17 yet I routinely watch him allow the centre backs pass the ball between each other. 

As others have said, it's a known issue with the game and the sooner it's fixed the better. 

Out of interest I went to the pass completion stat page for the whole of Serie A and every player in the top 20 was a centre back. 5 of them had a 99% pass completion by the midway point of the season. 

I've also checked other leagues. Looked at a random City game where they played Newcastle at home (winning 3-1). Newcastle had 56% possession and Lascelles and Fernandez had nearly 200 passes between them. Think they completed 560 passes to City's 420. So stupid.

Sure, but work rate alone won’t make a player right for a high press system of course. I’m not saying there may not be an issue with the match engine I’m just saying that you need to look at the big picture not isolated player attributes. 

I agree the top 20 players all being cb’s is odd though. Now a days the players with highest passing percentages are usually center backs but to have the top 20 all cb’s is off. It’s like that in my game as well and my cb’s all finish the game with high average ratings and the most passes between themselves. I can’t really complain though because they’re doing exactly what I’m asking and want, so it’s a tricky issue. 

6 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Have you tried playing a formation with stronger wide coverage? Personally I would agree with @crusadertsar that there is nobody to pressure opposition fullbacks.

Relying on your fullbacks to press the opposition wide players is a definite structural issue.

1. They have to run the full length of the field to press the opposition fullback
  2. Even the fastest player in the world would allow ample time for the opposition to get the ball away
  3. When he arrives he's left some very dangerous space for opposition AMR/L or AMR/L
  4. I'd expect him to be gassed doing that pretty quickly

Narrower shapes can be very good medium or low block systems. That won't give you the pressing you want but you might see better football overall.

If you want to make that setup work in a high-press, I'd suggest that you need hard working players at AMCL/R and also MCL/R and have them cover the wide areas between them and the rest shift across.

My other observation would be that you have a positive team mentality and 4 attacking duties. That means your AMCR and ST both have Very Attacking individual mentalities and your wingbacks are both Attacking. Wingbacks probably fine, but I wouldn't like two players with Very Attacking mentalities in a system aiming to press when you need everybody working together collectively.

Hope this helps :thup:

Do you think a 3412 can press high efficiently? I like to press high. That's the formation I will use for most games, I'm guessing my wingers in the MR and ML slots are high enough? I also use a 5212 but with wingbacks instead of fullbacks, I'm guessing wingbacks are high enough to press efficiently also, or would I be better off using a mid block with the 5212? I don't do low blocks, it's not my style 😂 I hate inviting teams on to me. I like to dominate games by pressing efficiently and keeping the ball but not for the sake of it, I like to play aggressively. 

15 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

To me, the important thing is to find a good balance between keeping the ball and winning the ball.

The issue with opposition defenders endlessly passing the ball between themselves and racking up 100+ passes whilst completely shutting the game down in the BETA led me to focus on pressing.

So far, my approach has been:

1. High defensive line, high line of engagement, high pressing triggers
  2. OIs to close down and mark opposition central defenders and holding midfielders
  3. Prioritise players with high work rate, stamina and team work
  4. Adapt your team to the opposition
    • I am still really struggling with opponents playing a back 3
  5. Press collectively

Hope this helps!

Adjusting the opposition instructions has actually improved it, not a perfect but very tangible. Would love if you did a write up on this, thanks.

Edited by Fragnat

• 1 month later...

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are now since the update? Mine are that it's probably at it's most accurate now in that I can dominate some teams with almost 60 -70% range possesion against inferior teams and in others I am in the 40% range which is what I would expect being a newly promoted side playing superior opposition. In last years version I would have been averaging 63% and dominating possesion in every game.

The league numbers seem to mirror real life more too albeit Barca are in the 60% range in real life. 

image.png.6aff37240b6346c180a4b6a9f2a34a1a.png

10 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Its way better now. However im still concerned about the ultra high passing accuracy of almost every team. 

Yeah, as was mentioned earlier in this thread 93-94% passing is unrealistic. Man City are closest with 90%