Underdog 532 Dm

Hello everyone I am playing with Blackburn and I have just got promoted. We are playing decently even though the media have predicted us at 20th. We defend well btut we struggle going forward. Are there any ways I can defend better and counter with relative ease. Thanks

image.thumb.png.4a7ad2623930b6fd453a532d0271c707.png

I'd not defend narrowly to start with because one of the main weaknesses with a 532 (in my opinion) is overlapping fullbacks/wingbacks crossing into your box when it's overloaded, resulting in goals. Defending narrower will just open it up for them to overlap more frequently.

Could also try changing the halfback to a defensive midfielder defend/support, and make the DLF a support instead of attack and move him to the left so he fills that gap on the left side where the cm (s) isn't moving up.

That could offer more passing options coming out after you win possession back, because at the moment you've the halfback essentially sitting on top of your BPD when you're out of possession, and then you win it back and it makes it difficult to get back out fast enough to influence the game and possession probably just recycles.

I'd just mess with player roles, the overall strategy looks fine to me. 

Could go like:

DLF (s) AF (A)

BMW (s) Mez (s)

DM (s)

and leave your back line as it is.

Watch extended highlights in a match while changing roles around to see what links up, and try to see which players aren't offering much when the opposition attacks you

I definitely wouldn't go with a HB - you already have someone in the centre of defence where he'd naturally drop into - and with how deep your defensive line is you need someone actively closing opposition down otherwise your opponents will hammer your goal with shots.

Don't worry about forcing opponents outside, you have three CBs to attack any crosses - as long as they're good in the air, have good positioning and are relatively aggressive you should be fine. 

Who is your playmaker? Who's going to launch your counter attacks which you'll be relying on? Can you change the Mez to an AP? 

There's 2 options I'd go with:

CM(S)        AP(A)

BWM(D)

or

CM(A)       DLP(S)

BWM(D)