[FM22-Derby County] Why manage the Rams? How are you getting on?

Stuniverse

9 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

I don’t know categorically on this, and I’ve never seen the training ground sold in-game before, but I’d expect any sale or purchase in-game will be reflected in the finances. As FM is a football management simulation, not an accountancy simulation, it may only be reflected in a rudimentary way though

Yeah this is what I expected. I imagine we may have to buy them back at some point, which will see our finances drop again. It did add around £30 million to our balance so this does make sense. Next time I have the game open I'm going to post the question in another sub-forum with the exact wording the game gave me, which I'll link in this post.

Do you have your eye on anybody?

Simply, not in particular no. I'm still pursuing Mengi somewhat hopefully, but I doubt he will change his mind. I'm not overly sold on Palmer-Brown with some of his mentals lacking (e.g. anticipation around 11 from memory. He got exposed over the top for Stokes goal) so anyone who can either come into the starting 11 or sit on the bench. I'm in the market for a quick, strong player with a good reading of the game.

I’d be slightly nervous about Jozwiak as back-up for Byrne. If I remember correctly you’ve loaned Ebosele out. How is McDonald progressing?

I have indeed, with McDonald joining him which I forgot to mention in my transfer update. He featured infrequently last season as both our right sided centre back and wing back so has developed significantly. Hence he's been loaned out for the same reasons as Ebosele.

This is Jóźwiak's last chance to prove he belongs in our side after a terrible showing in season on. Nathan Byrne isn't getting any younger so, as much as I like him, this may be his final season as a starter for us. Ultimately I'm putting my faith in Jóźwiak to prove that the position can be his moving forward, or he'll be used as funds for a new right wing back. Worst case scenario Lee Buchanan is "unconvincing" at right wing back so can do a job there.

A very good season there @McKenzieCoach17! Are you confident for playoffs next season given your points tally without the deduction?

21 minutes ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

Koumetio in defence was amazing think he ended up my player of the year

Interesting that you sold Sibley, was this forced or a decision you took? Either way it seems to have worked out with yet another manager finding success in a bigger, more experienced striker. Out of curiosity for my own save, what are Koumetio's attributes like? As I posted above I'm in the market for a pacey defender.

23 minutes ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 07.58.05.png

Interestingly you've also set up very similar to me. Do you mind me asking who mainly played in each position? I'm particularly curious about Lawrence, Bielik (as I suspect they may be similar to me) and Knight (as he isn't trained to play any of the positions you use at the start of the game).

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

Just finished my first season with Derby, luckily hit the ground running and made the 12 points back straight away.

Congratulations, @McKenzieCoach17. That’s an amazing performance. Without the -12 points, you would’ve finished 9th on 70 points, above QPR on goal difference.

I think that’s the best first season points tally I’ve seen from anyone playing Derby County on the Beta. Well done.

Ive been taken over twice and neither guy had money.

That’s also a first. I’m not aware of anybody else who has been taken over twice in the first season.

The save was a real struggle up to January until I got some players in, the administrators let so many players leave on loan in the first window I was left with very little cover for all of the injuries.

Yes, absolutely. There is quite an injury list at the start of the season, although most of the wounded are back for the opening game of the campaign or very soon afterwards. There’s one medium-term injury (Knight) and two longer-term injuries (Kazim-Richards and Bielik).

The squad is threadbare now in real-life which is why I recommend disabling the first transfer window. If you allow the first transfer window to happen, as Derby County manager you lose players to loans and sales the Administrators accept that you have no control over, often leaving you with no cover for injuries and suspensions and a growing number of grey players in your U23 and U18 squads.

Luckily my new owners gave me some of the cash for Sibley (think it was 10%) and I could sign some cover. Koumetio in defence was amazing think he ended up my player of the year. Steven Fletcher got me out a slump of 9 matches without a win, played 4 scored 4 with 2 assists before rupturing his achilies.

Looks like you were able to make five good signings there, although it’s a shame you lost Steven Fletcher to injury when he was doing so well.

Thank you for sharing, I’ve added these to the ‘Players signed for Derby County on FM22’ post on Page 1 of this thread.

Fun so far and looking forward to my second season, a lot of players leaving big contracts on frees.

Your strong showing in the first season gives you a great platform on which to build for the 2022-23 campaign.

Have you got any transfer targets in mind? I’d be very interested in hearing who you sign and who leaves in the summer 2022 transfer window.

Good luck 🍀

Come on you 🐏s !

Edited by Stuniverse

51 minutes ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 07.58.05.png

Interesting formation @McKenzieCoach17, particularly as I've never really gone three at the back on FM myself.

What's VOL? That's not a role I'm familiar with?

Also, were you tempted to go with the new Wide Centre-Back role?

Edited by Stuniverse

28 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

Yeah this is what I expected. I imagine we may have to buy them back at some point, which will see our finances drop again. It did add around £30 million to our balance so this does make sense. Next time I have the game open I'm going to post the question in another sub-forum with the exact wording the game gave me, which I'll link in this post.

That’s a great shout to ask the question on the SI Forum, @OJ403. Out of interest, did you sell the training ground yourself or was that sale forced upon you by Administrators / Owners?

30 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

Simply, not in particular no. I'm still pursuing Mengi somewhat hopefully, but I doubt he will change his mind. I'm not overly sold on Palmer-Brown with some of his mentals lacking (e.g. anticipation around 11 from memory. He got exposed over the top for Stokes goal) so anyone who can either come into the starting 11 or sit on the bench. I'm in the market for a quick, strong player with a good reading of the game.

I’m now up-to-date with additions to the ‘Players signed for Derby County on FM22’ on Page 1 of this thread and I’ve added in a ‘Reveal hidden contents’ to avoid spoilers for people. There’s quite a selection now of players people have signed in all positions.

Good luck 🍀 in your search for players.

We are Derby, Super Derby, Super 🐏s !

30 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

A very good season there @McKenzieCoach17! Are you confident for playoffs next season given your points tally without the deduction?

its a big rebuild now but hope so, I have been asked fight bravely against relegation so no pressure 

Interesting that you sold Sibley, was this forced or a decision you took? Either way it seems to have worked out with yet another manager finding success in a bigger, more experienced striker. Out of curiosity for my own save, what are Koumetio's attributes like? As I posted above I'm in the market for a pacey defender.

Spurs offered the 9mill and couldn't say no, attached Koumetios attributes. He got himself a move to Monaco off the back of the 6 months with me so unfortunately no season 2 reunion. 4 goals from near post corners. 

Interestingly you've also set up very similar to me. Do you mind me asking who mainly played in each position? I'm particularly curious about Lawrence, Bielik (as I suspect they may be similar to me) and Knight (as he isn't trained to play any of the positions you use at the start of the game).

Lawrence played as an advanced forward for me 11 goals 15 assists, Fletcher and Kazim were DLF and one of Stretton, Sibley and Jozwiak as the other AF. Bielik played as a libero for me mostly as Curtis Davies was out for the 2nd half of the season. 7.04 average rating. 

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 08.54.44.png

15 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Interesting formation @McKenzieCoach17, particularly as I've never really gone three at the back on FM myself.

What's VOL? That's not a role I'm familiar with?

Also, were you tempted to go with the new Wide Centre-Back role?

Haven't tried the WCB yet although something im interested in, may give it a go. Personally feel the volates are just cdms who are allowed to attack a bit more. 

7 minutes ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

Allsop and Lawrence have also left on frees after not signing new deals. (Gutted about Lawrence).

Thanks, @McKenzieCoach17. Who are your goalkeepers now?

7 minutes ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

Brentford, Burnley and Norwich join me in the championship. Newcastle avoided the drop by a couple of points. 

£200 million to spend and Newcastle avoid the drop by a couple of points LOL :lol:

Edited by Stuniverse

Question about Tom Lawrence?

9 minutes ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

Allsop and Lawrence have also left on frees after not signing new deals. (Gutted about Lawrence).

This reminds me, there's a question  I wanted to ask everybody about Tom Lawrence?

Are you keeping Lawrence as your captain or giving the arm band to someone else?

If you're going with a different captain, who are you selecting as captain and vice-captain?

4 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Thanks, @McKenzieCoach17. Who are your goalkeepers now?

£200 million to spend and Newcastle avoid the drop by a couple of points LOL :lol:

signed Freddie Woodman on a free from Newcastle he will be my number 1, Foulkes as back up just now. I have a golden generation goalkeeper who came through in March so will try wait before signing another.

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 09.42.44.png

1 hour ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 08.54.44.png

Interesting looking player, although not quite sure he's exactly what I'm after. In any case I suspect he'll have left Liverpool on a free and been picked up as in your save.

26 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Question about Tom Lawrence?

This reminds me, there's a question  I wanted to ask everybody about Tom Lawrence?

Are you keeping Lawrence as your captain or giving the arm band to someone else?

If you're going with a different captain, who are you selecting as captain and vice-captain?

Personally I removed him as captain. We had a discussion about there being better options at the club, which he agreed with. He's become a key player so safe to say its worked out well. Although I do agree with Wayne Rooney's decision in real life.

Curtis Davies has become captain, with Phil Jagielka becoming our vice captain. As neither of these players I have a long list of captains following these players:

• Craig Forsyth

• Jason Knight

• Max Bird

• Conor Hourihane (he probably ought to be above Knight and Bird, but as he's only just joined he sits below them for now)

13 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Ouch! That’s a bad break in a DC position where there’s not much cover in the squad. How is Bright Arrey-Mbi doing there since joining on loan from Bayern Munich?

He's been pretty solid, just picked up a good point away at Preston (who were 4th). Roos has been solid in goal and as you say Knight has returned and will be starting soon due to the poor form of both Shinnie and Bird.

13 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

es, you’ve also only had about a month for your six new signings to settle in. Six games since they signed, I’d reckon. How many of those six new signings did you throw straight into the starting-11 and could that have contributed to the run of no wins in seven? Hopefully your form should improve as those new players start to gell or, perhaps, consider going back to the core team you were playing before the signings as it sounds like you were getting some wins before the signings.

Most of them have come in to pad the squad out for injuries, Bradshaw starts ahead of Baldock but other than that they're all bench options. Could really do with one quality striker, I've seen Gayle mentioned but I'm not sure we'll pull that one off.

Just started a save in the beta and doing extremely well, 12 games gone so far and in the hunt for the playoff positions. My current tactical setup is below

381217804_Derbytactic.PNG.079ea1c55811e4a0397854319ba65534.PNG

Sitting pretty in 7th place........would have been 2nd without the points deduction

2035462614_derbyTable.PNG.2ecf4a2e889528e3a236837101ad7b7b.PNG

Have found the Morale to be the most important thing as well as games crossing meta.315059643_derbyschedule.PNG.1d731ee115f1bf1dec43779c265c5e16.PNG

Lawrence has been the stand out player

998175252_Derbyselection.thumb.PNG.ffb3f6b5875b76075769863bca28d21b.PNG

I thought I'd give this a go. I've just got to the end of August without conceding a league goal, and we're already off the bottom of the league. Still no sign of a takeover though, so no transfer business yet.

image.png.91b50f7dfde13a5f0c0f900acfb3bb4e.png

image.png.9badc73e187e4ca74b4bc44cca382cab.png

4 hours ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Could really do with one quality striker, I've seen Gayle mentioned but I'm not sure we'll pull that one off.

Yes, @Jamesbfc1887, there are a number of challenges to overcome managing Derby County but a lack of goals and firepower up front is very much one of them.

1 hour ago, Recyclic3021 said:

Just started a save in the beta and doing extremely well, 12 games gone so far and in the hunt for the playoff positions. My current tactical setup is below

1 hour ago, Recyclic3021 said:

Sitting pretty in 7th place........would have been 2nd without the points deduction

That’s a phenomenal start to the season, @Recyclic3021. Hopefully you can keep it going.

29 minutes ago, Adamm90 said:

I thought I'd give this a go. I've just got to the end of August without conceding a league goal, and we're already off the bottom of the league. Still no sign of a takeover though, so no transfer business yet.

A fantastic start to the season, @Adamm90. Clawing back the 12 points and getting off the bottom after just five games is very impressive.

32 minutes ago, Adamm90 said:

Still no sign of a takeover though, so no transfer business yet.

The takeovers aren’t hard coded so it is quite random when it happens and what kind of takeover / owner you get but, five games into the season is early yet.

I found the challenge more than interesting, quite complicated.

I reduced the squad, mostly U23 players, to reduce salaries and earn some money.

Good start, we won the derby and that adds up to a lot. We will see how this goes on.

August.thumb.png.1d3f87bf0ee82c1d85d58229159924f8.png

Squad.thumb.png.4ad9ce38294b8f95492e4f5b95db713e.png

Transfers.thumb.png.8ae9d8833624e07c8b7f797825ca9a2a.png

Malcom Ebiowei it's amaizing!

Edited by makul

28 minutes ago, makul said:

I found  the challenge more than interesting, quite complicated.

Welcome to Derby County and the Administration / Transfer Embargo challenge, @makul. Thanks for sharing.

29 minutes ago, makul said:

I reduced the squad, mostly U23 players, to reduce salaries and earn some money.

That’s quite a lot of players, albeit mostly U23s, you loaned 

30 minutes ago, makul said:

Good start, we won the derby and that adds up to a lot. We will see how this goes on.

A good start indeed. I hope you can keep it going.

Good luck 🍀.

Come on you Rams !

2 hours ago, Recyclic3021 said:

Struggling with injuries recently but maintaining some decent form

Incredible form, @Recyclic3021. 7th in the Championship table, but you’d be 3rd without the -12 points penalty.

Relegation shouldn’t even be a concern now.

If you can keep this form going, you have a great opportunity to make the playoffs which would be an unbelievable achievement from -12 points.

I’m rooting for you.

Good luck 🍀

4 minutes ago, leland gaunt said:

Searching this week for my 1st FM 22 save and now I know where to start!

Thanks, @leland gaunt. Welcome to Derby County Football Club.

4 minutes ago, leland gaunt said:

Will also be the 1st club to manage under administration and I'm excited how it will go on.

It’s a very interesting challenge and I hope you enjoy it.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Good luck 🍀

2 hours ago, McKenzieCoach17 said:

ah **** here we go again, takeover number 3 on the way

Oh boy, @McKenzieCoach17, you appear to be setting the record for the number of takeovers. At least on this thread.

🤞 this time you get a sugar daddy oowner with deep pockets.

Edited by Stuniverse

24 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

pleased with how the season has finished.

So you should be, @Recyclic3021. An 8th placed finish (effectively 5th on goal difference without the -12) is very impressive and sets you up well for a positive campaign next season.

24 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

I will say this Derby squad is full of crocked players. Have had to play Lawrence as my main striker for most of the season

Yes, there are quite a few players who start the season injured with Knight (medium term) and Kazim-Richards and Bielik (longer term). There’s also quite a few older players who are more susceptible to injury and the threadbare squad means you’ll be limited in opportunities to rotate and rest players.

Up front, is probably where the squad is most in need of strengthening with only two genuine senior strikers at the start of the season - Baldock and Kazim-Richards (injured at start of save).

£8.26M to spend on transfers in the summer though. Do you have any targets in mind?

🤞 for a successful campaign next season.

Edited by Stuniverse

On 24/10/2021 at 11:51, Stuniverse said:

YouTubers - doing Derby County FM22 saves

Here’s a couple of early Beta Derby County saves I’ve found on YouTube.

Average Bears

SamuraiHex

SHD Games

Please let me know if you’re aware of any more and I’ll add them on here. Many thanks.

Added the SHD Games one…

You’ll find the original post on Page 1 of this thread.

Edited by Stuniverse

2 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

£8.26M to spend on transfers in the summer though. Do you have any targets in mind?

looking trawl the bargain basements for the usual combination of out of contract youngsters - reasonably priced transfer listed players - and a selection of loans.

defence needs an overhaul Jagielka and Davies are past it (although i am keeping Davies on for another year as club captain) - Arrey-Mbi who i had on loan from January choose Juventus over Derby :) 

Forsyth wanted to go back to Scotland so losing him in the summer

currently got offers in for 5 defenders totalling just over 2m of the budget.

Midfield doesnt need any work - have listed Ravel as he is jus too much hard work and inconsistent

cant find any decent strikers so far, hoping to bring Delap back in on loan, possiby get some wingers on loan too to boost the squad

34 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

defence needs an overhaul Jagielka and Davies are past it (although i am keeping Davies on for another year as club captain) - Arrey-Mbi who i had on loan from January choose Juventus over Derby :)

The fool! Zebre over the (not so mighty) 🐏s, what is he thinking?

35 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

Forsyth wanted to go back to Scotland so losing him in the summer

That does sound like a lot of defenders to replace, fortunately you are on the case…

35 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

currently got offers in for 5 defenders totalling just over 2m of the budget.

Are you hoping to sign all five?

36 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

Midfield doesnt need any work - have listed Ravel as he is jus too much hard work and inconsistent

A few people have said that about Ravel Morrison.

37 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

cant find any decent strikers so far, hoping to bring Delap back in on loan, possiby get some wingers on loan too to boost the squad

Shame as it sounds like the striking area does need improving.

How did Delap do for you last season?

8 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Are you hoping to sign all five?

transfers.PNG.f1def75b89a766355d5e3592e8c9a09e.PNG

Got 3 Goode, Clarke & Sissoko can all play DC and Sissoko gives extra cover at DM.
Golding is a regen striker that was just too good at that price. Scouts raved about him

Golding.PNG.c8a618622c243125673d86267166dd77.PNG

11 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

How did Delap do for you last season?

couldnt afford him last season, had no room in the budget but he's a former Ram, right?

scored 4 goals in 13 games for Rotherham last season.

Have offered 1.1m for Fletcher at Watford as he's just been listed. waiting for 30th June in game before fleshing out the rest of the squad

5 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

Got 3 Goode, Clarke & Sissoko can all play DC and Sissoko gives extra cover at DM.
Golding is a regen striker that was just too good at that price. Scouts raved about him

Still in for the other two, or did they get away?

Nice to see Matt Clarke back at Derby County.

Good looking stats on the newgen.

7 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

couldnt afford him last season, had no room in the budget but he's a former Ram, right?

scored 4 goals in 13 games for Rotherham last season.

Sorry, I must’ve confused you with someone else who signed Delap first season. Yes, although he never played for us other than at U16 and younger. He joined our Academy when Rory Delap was part of the Backroom staff, but at 16 joined Manchester City, rather than stay with us, as a first year scholar.

9 minutes ago, Recyclic3021 said:

Have offered 1.1m for Fletcher at Watford as he's just been listed. waiting for 30th June in game before fleshing out the rest of the squad

Waiting to see who gets released by other clubs?

7 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Waiting to see who gets released by other clubs?

Yeah, hoping i can pick up Jonjoe Kenny from Everton if hes released, probably need a GK as Marshall has gone to the States and Roos to Spain. Allsop is my only keeper now!

Fletcher has signed on the dotted line.....will look to the loan market for attacking wide players, although Dylan Williams is really coming along nicely

Stoke sniffing around my star player Tom Lawrence :(

35 minutes ago, Adamm90 said:

What kind of wages are people shelling out to get Lawrence to stay?

managed to get him on a new 2.5 year contract at 28k when the takeover went through

Lawrence.thumb.PNG.7341a90a2f3db2a0a441aa3617c8a2eb.PNG

coming up to my first game of the 22/23 season. These are the transfers so far, Have a 100k bid in for Max O'Leary at Bristol GK and a loan offer for Delap in also.

1305995806_23Transfer.PNG.9f925df5b824d0b5869070246b943188.PNG

Second season with Derby is going really well! We are currently far away from the Championship relegation zone and quite close to the playoffs!
There has been two episodes since I last posted which are Episode 8 & Episode 9! Feel free to watch them and all that and if you've missed any of the other episodes and you'd like to give it a watch from the start you can watch it from this Playlist
I've recorded a few of episodes that aren't just out yet but expect a trip to Wembley in one of them!

Will be starting Derby at full release on Tuesday, excited for it. 

Set some rules to make it harder/more realistic

I can only sign players my scouts recommend/agents recommend/Transfer list/free transfers until Premier league
Any bid over valuation has to be accepted until I have new owners
Prioritise youth development over new signings 

An uncharacteristically short update from me this time.

We sit 1st in the championship in October having just beat Burnley 3-2 thanks to a 95th minute Kelle Roos header. Business as usual...

On 01/11/2021 at 16:36, Adamm90 said:

What kind of wages are people shelling out to get Lawrence to stay?

My understanding is that for the majority of the first season (2021-22), and through the January transfer window, Tom Lawrence wants at least what he's earning now or will take a small pay-cut.

As the season gets towards the business end, his wage demands drop quite a bit and you can extend his contract at a much more reasonable salary but, and it's a BIG but, if you wait it out, there's a fair chance he'll get a better offer and a bigger salary from other clubs, including MLS clubs irrespective of whether or not you have USA loaded as a playable Nation.

On 31/10/2021 at 09:45, McKenzieCoach17 said:

signed Freddie Woodman on a free from Newcastle he will be my number 1, Foulkes as back up just now. I have a golden generation goalkeeper who came through in March so will try wait before signing another.

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 09.42.44.png

Those are very good looking stats for a newgen, @McKenzieCoach17. How are Willis Baldacchino and Freddie Woodman doing?

On 01/11/2021 at 17:18, Recyclic3021 said:

managed to get him on a new 2.5 year contract at 28k when the takeover went through

Lawrence.thumb.PNG.7341a90a2f3db2a0a441aa3617c8a2eb.PNG

coming up to my first game of the 22/23 season. These are the transfers so far, Have a 100k bid in for Max O'Leary at Bristol GK and a loan offer for Delap in also.

1305995806_23Transfer.PNG.9f925df5b824d0b5869070246b943188.PNG

You managed to get Jonjoe Kenny in then, @Recyclic3021. I assume he was released.

On 01/11/2021 at 18:06, Recyclic3021 said:

O'Leary signed but Delap turned us down.

Shame about, Liam Delap. What are you going to do about strikers now?

On 01/11/2021 at 18:06, Recyclic3021 said:

Bookies have us a comfortable mid table side, when the board just want us to avoid relegation again :) !!

Hopefully you can push on this season and do much better than what your Board's looking for and the media are predicting.

20 hours ago, Recyclic3021 said:

Deadline day just gone and a great start to the season 

transf.thumb.PNG.cc4dfe400f70bfe164e1497d4d6ade5e.PNG

dsched.PNG.378e65a3609859759ccfee3cd851ecf7.PNG

Utilising the set pieces well Fletcher and Goode top scorers with 6 a piece

Table.thumb.PNG.740589a61399156d53eac9d157a9c9d6.PNG

Brilliant start to the season.

Going up, we're going up, Derby's going up!

On 01/11/2021 at 18:12, makul said:

September.thumb.png.2b7793159e431df172c0c71fa34a4b1a.png

Second month quite irregular, surprised with the 8-2 win vs Stoke but then we dropped important points.

A mixed bag of Championship results there, @makul, but what a goal fest against Stoke. Where does that leave you in the Championship Leagued Table?

And a bit of a Carabao Cup run going as well. Nice.

On 01/11/2021 at 18:24, SamuraiHex said:

Second season with Derby is going really well! We are currently far away from the Championship relegation zone and quite close to the playoffs!

Great stuff, @SamuraiHex, let's home you can push on into those playoff places.