“Holland” is not a country, “(the) Netherlands” is

2 hours ago, DutchManager said:

I know it’s used worldwide by many, but Holland is not even half of the country (except for talent ;)). So please, change the name to “Netherlands”. 

I would agree but  I think you should post this in the Holland (sorry) data issues section so that the correct people read your comments

Even though I agree that the name of the country is the Netherlands and that Holland is 'just' the central parts of the country it is still known as Holland when they play football. 

To speak in FM terms: 
Long name: Royal Netherlands Football Association

Short name: Holland

29 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I believe it is called Holland due to licensing reasons.

What kind of licensing issues prevent a country from being called its proper name?  Even Germany when SI didn't have the rights the only thing that changed was the official players not being in the NT.

16 minutes ago, interesti88 said:

What kind of licensing issues prevent a country from being called its proper name?  Even Germany when SI didn't have the rights the only thing that changed was the official players not being in the NT.

We won't know. It depends on what counterparties have told SEGA. My guess is that German and Japanese federations were less angry than the Dutch federation. The reason could be anything including being told by Royal Netherlands Fooball Association to use Holland. 

19 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

The official site of the national team refers to Nederlands so I'm guessing that @Haikuis correct when he refers to licensing reasons

Sure, in Dutch language it should be a no brainer it's called Nederlands unless prohibited to do so. I thought we discussed the name in English. 

2 hours ago, interesti88 said:

The proper name of Germany is Deutschland. OK, leave it there. Given the Netherlands national team prohibited to be represented within the game, developers took decision to keep Holland as a precaution I guess. It's a perfect situation, because still Holland is the popular name outside the country, whether you like it or not.

4 hours ago, interesti88 said:

The licensing issue likely comes from when they were licensed the license required them to use Holland (if you check the splash screens for the older games with the licensing details you'll see the Dutch NT licensing agency is called Team Holland) but after the loss of the license SI didn't get around to (or decided against) changing the name.

6 hours ago, Fredrik said:

My guess is that German and Japanese federations were less angry than the Dutch federation.

eh, Japan was messed up by licencing much more, so that's probably not the case. At least the Dutch still have a history page to check competition results and and an info page that shows their stadium and stuff. Japan don't even have that :(

• FrazT locked this topic