Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

7 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Im assuming the the first match was so horrible it made the replay a must watch

But we're talking more than half the population at the time, which means it's not just blokes whose love of a good fight lets them overcome their hatred of football in general or Leeds and Chelsea specifically, it's mums with their toddlers and posh pensioners. Hard to imagine they've decided to watch their first game since 1966 because they've heard Chopper Harris is up for giving Chelsea a proper kicking

Whatever was on ITV at the time must have been really ****

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

But we're talking more than half the population at the time, which means it's not just blokes whose love of a good fight lets them overcome their hatred of football in general or Leeds and Chelsea specifically, it's mums with their toddlers and posh pensioners. Hard to imagine they've decided to watch their first game since 1966 because they've heard Chopper Harris is up for giving Chelsea a proper kicking

We were just off to Mexico to defend the World Cup, they’d played this really early because of that (handily so Colombia could arrest Bobby Moore and screw us over), and football was huge news.

Plus live football on a Wednesday evening was unheard off, and add that to it was two of the best sides around, Leeds were in the running for everything, and Chelsea would win the Cup Winners Cup the next season, plus the hatred just made for a perfect storm I guess.

12 hours ago, AK22 said:

Not really getting the fascination with the viewing figures. A lot of people watched it, a lot of people didn’t. Not sure there’s anything there to warrant any kind of narrative. 

There is definitely the push of a narrative of 'see how well loved she was' when all but one of the people i've spoken to who watched it have no love for the royals and only put it on due to its historical significance

11 hours ago, enigmatic said:

It was on ITV too according to that wiki page. So it was that vs BBC2s offering. 

edit: Thrilling

image.png.3f8f5bdda4197b0b53d2d55ce3e22d44.png

Edited by Rafalution

17 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

It was on ITV too according to that wiki page. So it was that vs BBC2s offering. 

BBC2 29th April 1970

19:30 Newsroom - Reporting the world tonight Peter Woods and the reporters and correspondents, at home and abroad

20:00 Man Alive: The Catholic Dilemma: Part 2 - Sister Anita Caspary of California led her fellow sisters of the Order of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in a move for change. They dropped their habits and veils - and started an almighty row which ended in their leaving the Roman Catholic Church. Father Charles Davis became a Catholic cause celebre when he left his vocation and married. In Holland other priests are doing the same. The row about birth control, about the Latin Mass, and the problem of shrinking congregations and dwindling numbers in the priesthood splits the Catholic Church with debate: a debate concerned with the role of Catholicism in the 20th century, the position of the Pope, and the authority of the Vatican.

20:50 Canvas - Fan and collector Barry Humphries looks at the collection of works by largely forgotten artist Charles Edward Conder in the Queens Park Art Gallery in Manchester.

21:10 Europa: The World Through European Eyes - ZDF... ORTF... RAI... SRG... JRT... a bewildering variety of initials that to people living on the other side of the Channel means the television service of their own country.
They all contribute to Europa. For wherever there is a story the film crews of our television colleagues on the Continent are there reporting and commenting.

21:45 Show of the Week: Not Only... But Also... - Written by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
Starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
with Nanette, The Dudley Moore Trio and guests

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Heartwork said:

They really don't like people being upset with them over this do they

Thing is, they could have totally reported on it without needing press access anyway, plenty of footage to review and they could have been outside etc. 

What possible insight or advantage was there to going to some "platform around the back"?

Not sure what exactly she’s spoken to lawyers about. It doesn’t seem that she’s likely to be sacked and I don’t recall any newspapers or media outlets making libellous or slanderous comments so unless she’s planning on suing the thousands of people having a pop on twitter I don’t see what legal advice she’s seeking. 

28 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Not sure what exactly she’s spoken to lawyers about. It doesn’t seem that she’s likely to be sacked and I don’t recall any newspapers or media outlets making libellous or slanderous comments so unless she’s planning on suing the thousands of people having a pop on twitter I don’t see what legal advice she’s seeking. 

Probably just a pr headline. 

If half the people who read it think "ah if she's taking legal advice it must mean what i thought was wrong" and they forgot about it then job done

5 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

This all feels very dumb. Do think having This ****ing Morning barging in and broadcasting from there is a bit much though.

Phil and Holly taking all this flack whilst MPs did the same and were allowed to bring 4 guests with them 

31 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

There's a massive online petition to get This Morning cancelled because of it :D

11 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Not sure she understands how queue jumping works, not taking someones place in the queue is exactly what it is :D 

She's saying that the queue she was part of had no affect on the normal queue because both were at the same time. People weren't stopped from looking just so she could nip in, she was looking at the same time as people just from a different place.

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Phil and Holly taking all this flack whilst MPs did the same and were allowed to bring 4 guests with them 

But people have no idea what most MPs look like.

The statements are stupid though, it's not the idea that people were having to wait another 30 seconds that has got them annoyed, but that one group has a 13 hour wait and another flash a pass.

Focus on the bringing it to the attention of the public via their programme angle, not the semantics

21 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Not sure she understands how queue jumping works, not taking someones place in the queue is exactly what it is :D 

Queue jumping generally means going straight to the front and therefore pushing everyone back in the queue one. What they were doing was separate  to what those who were queuing for were doing, so they weren't jumping that queue

1 minute ago, Bigwig said:

Willoughby seems to be the one taking most of the flak. Could be because she’s a woman but also could be because Schofield has kept his mouth shut while she keeps digging a deeper hole trying to defend herself. 

I think Phil is getting away with it mainly because he doesn't even look at the coffin and just walks past, so its easier to accept, whereas Holly takes the time to take a look which is what people have queued 13 hours for 

2 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Willoughby seems to be the one taking most of the flak. Could be because she’s a woman but also could be because Schofield has kept his mouth shut while she keeps digging a deeper hole trying to defend herself. 

You have answered your own Question. Plus i think people are disappointed in her. Schofield is a piece of work regardless 

1 minute ago, Rafalution said:

Queue jumping generally means going straight to the front and therefore pushing everyone back in the queue one. What they were doing was separate  to what those who were queuing for were doing, so they weren't jumping that queue

Surely it depends on what you're queuing for? This wasn't a queue to buy tickets and therefore they've taken someones place meaning someone else has missed out, this was a queue to walk past something and take a look at something, which she walked to the front of the queue and did. Where people were stood seems like a very thin argument 

4 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

Do you think commentators who go in a separate entrance at football grounds are queue jumping because they're going to watch the same match as the fans? 

Surely the commentators in this scenario are those broadcasting it live on BBC News, not some random ITV morning show. If there was a 13 hour wait to get into Wembley for the World Cup Final and Phil and Holly got to walk past the crowd and into the stadium to take their seats, then yes i'd say they were queuing jumping, despite no one else behind them losing out because it was a different line

I'm not even arsed about this, but your example is just weak  

Was it not part of their job given they were reporting on the funeral? Isn't that why they were given access to the press queue?  

Or to go back to the football match analogy, if they were given press seats so they could talk about their experience the next day on this morning, would that still be queue jumping? 

Edited by Rafalution

24 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

Do you think commentators who go in a separate entrance at football grounds are queue jumping because they're going to watch the same match as the fans? 

Have you not watched the advert with Roy Keane?  They clearly go through the turnstiles. 

53 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

Was it not part of their job given they were reporting on the funeral? Isn't that why they were given access to the press queue?  

Or to go back to the football match analogy, if they were given press seats so they could talk about their experience the next day on this morning, would that still be queue jumping? 

I've not got a clue what they were actually doing. But they didn't need to see a stiff in a box to report on the funeral? That's like the commentator getting on the match bus

1 hour ago, Bigwig said:

Phil was taking pelters last week tbf

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

Surely the commentators in this scenario are those broadcasting it live on BBC News, not some random ITV morning show. If there was a 13 hour wait to get into Wembley for the World Cup Final and Phil and Holly got to walk past the crowd and into the stadium to take their seats, then yes i'd say they were queuing jumping, despite no one else behind them losing out because it was a different line

I'm not even arsed about this, but your example is just weak  

They'd be in the VIP section and enter the stadium through a VIP entrance. That's not queue jumping but being given a privilege because of who they are. It's the same in this instance whether people believe they should get that privilege is what's up for debate. 

8 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

Not sure how going to see the coffin was part of their job though?

Entirely depends on what they were doing

Given what Jags said:

5 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I was talking about this with my family, apparently they did do a feature for This Morning.

That would be entirely in keeping with work. 

• Administrators

Must end with Holly and or Phil leaving the show, it's pretty ridiculous the hole they are digging and it's not reflecting well.

43 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Entirely depends on what they were doing

Given what Jags said:

That would be entirely in keeping with work. 

Yes, maybe. Still not convinced that they needed to actually visit the coffin to do a feature on it - I could have just watched the feed and talked about it. Or get someone in who'd queued up to talk about it.

Waste of time doing a feature on it anyway but that's another matter :D

When it was originally being reported, I thought that they'd actually queued up to go along in procession like everybody else.

If they've been given access to the platform that was used by MPs, foreign dignitaries and the press, then I can understand it tbh.

I didn't see the This Morning piece, because I don't watch the show, but if they were doing a piece on the people who queued and what happened, then I could see why it would be reasonable for them to have experienced it and to have been on that platform.

In doing so, they'd not just have observed the Queen lying in state, but they'd have observed the public too, which would give them the ability to discuss the public's response to it all.

25 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

Yes, maybe. Still not convinced that they needed to actually visit the coffin to do a feature on it - I could have just watched the feed and talked about it. Or get someone in who'd queued up to talk about it.

Waste of time doing a feature on it anyway but that's another matter :D

That would be a poor way to do an exclusive feature, since everyone has access to that and very few producers would do that if they could get nearby access to the coffin. 

No idea if their work excuse is true but if you were going to create a feature that's how you'd do it.