Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JJ72 said:

Not 5 billion then?

It was a ridiculous estimate - that's a fair proportion of all the people who have access to a TV, and even if you use the most generous assessment of 'people will watch some footage on a news program' it was unlikely. Typical hyperbole, possibly mixed with someone put on the spot and pulling a number out of thin air.

I'm guessing a lot of people were having respectful early pints for the TV coverage. BBC2 had a couple of million for the sign language translation.

11 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

250,000 shuffling past in 100 hours of opening. That's around 3 Wembleys. I'll be honest, it doesn't sound like many.

That's 2500 people a hour on average and as there were 2 sides 1250 each. Thats roughly 20 people per minute on each side shuffling past.

If you allow for the 20 min guard changes which is around 1/4 the total time and a bit more for the 4am cleaning session you are around 30 people per minute per side which seems faster than what i saw.

9 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

It was a ridiculous estimate - that's a fair proportion of all the people who have access to a TV, and even if you use the most generous assessment of 'people will watch some footage on a news program' it was unlikely. Typical hyperbole, possibly mixed with someone put on the spot and pulling a number out of thin air.

I'm guessing a lot of people were having respectful early pints for the TV coverage. BBC2 had a couple of million for the sign language translation.

If the next time we do this is within the next 10-15 years, I suspect the numbers will be even more middling.

• Administrators

Liz will be spinning in her grave.

But I would expect the week long depressing coverage and unwavering adulation of the Queen would have led to burn out with some people who chose not to watch. 

At least with Diana there was a lot of mystery and drama to go with the coverage in the lead up to her funeral. Far more interesting than a biopic and endless replays of the Queen with Paddington Bear

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

If the next time we do this is within the next 10-15 years, I suspect the numbers will be even more middling.

Already talk that the coronation will be downscaled a lot, and I just can't see the same level of interest anywhere for either Charles or William when the time comes. 

I would assume there may have been some get togeathers to watch it at one house out of a few house family plus there would be the question of how to factor in the pub watches and the official big screen tv and cinema people too albeit the later should really have a known number surely.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Already talk that the coronation will be downscaled a lot, and I just can't see the same level of interest anywhere for either Charles or William when the time comes. 

Do they dare not call it a bank holiday? Or will they do the Coronation over a weekend? Either way, it sends the message that The Monarchy(TM) isn't all that special.

• Administrators
Just now, leftback in the changing room said:

Do they dare not call it a bank holiday? Or will they do the Coronation over a weekend? Either way, it sends the message that The Monarchy(TM) isn't all that special.

There will be a bank holiday, I'd be very surprised if not. People will be expecting one, and would be a bit of an own goal if they chose to use an existing bank holiday or a weekend I think.

21 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I would assume there may have been some get togeathers to watch it at one house out of a few house family plus there would be the question of how to factor in the pub watches and the official big screen tv and cinema people too albeit the later should really have a known number surely.

Multiple viewers per television and pubs are already taken into account in the viewing figures

1 hour ago, leftback in the changing room said:

250,000 shuffling past in 100 hours of opening. That's around 3 Wembleys. I'll be honest, it doesn't sound like many.

I dunno if this is what you're suggesting, maybe I'm misreading, but you kinda make it sound like there wasn't much interest... There was a huge queue all the time, it's not like there were any quiet bits where no one was going in. The only way there could've been more than 250k was to extend the lying-in-state period or to make everyone run round it. (Which does make you wonder how they got to a 1m estimate).

47 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

Multiple viewers per television and pubs are already taken into account in the viewing figures

BBC article seems to think pubs, streaming services, cinemas, outdoor screens etc aren't in the overnight numbers so they might be able to massage it over the Diana figure.

They'll shove 10k on all the channels like that that weren't showing anything else then won't they, for numbers being too low to record.

10x Sports channels x2 for HD & SD

12x Movie channels x2 for HD & SD

about 20 of their regular channels all similar

That's about a million people Sky can magic out of thin air alone. 

• Administrators

You don't think people will care about the Prince of Pegging? 

I can only imagine the memorabilia for sale for that occasion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62970523

A man who tried to grab the flag draped over the Queen's coffin as she laid in state did not believe she was dead, a court has heard.

The prosecution claims Muhammad Khan wanted to look in the coffin to "check for himself" the Queen was there.

Mr Khan, 28, also allegedly planned go to royal residences to "try to make contact" with the monarch.

He was granted bail on condition he remains in a mental health hospital until his next court hearing.

Doctors assessed Mr Khan as not fit to take part in proceedings at Westminster Magistrates' Court, where he appeared charged with two offences under the Public Order Act.

The court heard he was suffering from delusions and the judge told him: "At the time when you were in Westminster you didn't accept that the Queen was dead and that was the reason you were moving towards the coffin to satisfy yourself that she was."

He added: "He is delusional still and thinks the Queen is not dead, thinks King Charles has something to do with it and may go to Windsor Castle to pay his respects, but also because he still thinks she is alive."

Prosecution lawyer Luke Staton, told the court Mr Khan had reached Westminster Hall when he was seen by officers to approach the coffin.

"He stepped off the carpet in the direction of the catafalque, then grabbed hold of the Royal Standard flag draped over the coffin with both of his hands," Mr Staton said.

The court heard Mr Khan was quickly detained, arrested and interviewed by police.

"The defendant did express the idea that the Queen is not dead and that he approached the coffin because he wanted to check for himself," said Mr Staton.

"He did say, prior to the state funeral, he was planning on going to the funeral.

"He planned to write to the Royal Family and if they did not reply he planned to go to Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace and Balmoral to try to speak to the Queen."

The court heard Mr Khan said if he was unsuccessful that he "would have to trespass in order to try and make contact", and when asked how many times he would try, replied: "As long as I'm living."

Mr Khan was among about 250,000 people who filed through the hall between 17:00 Wednesday and early on Monday morning to pay their respects.

Hopefully he gets the help he needs and recovers. Shame on those on social media who used this incident to stir up islamophobia.

35 minutes ago, titchuk said:

I dunno if this is what you're suggesting, maybe I'm misreading, but you kinda make it sound like there wasn't much interest... There was a huge queue all the time, it's not like there were any quiet bits where no one was going in. The only way there could've been more than 250k was to extend the lying-in-state period or to make everyone run round it. (Which does make you wonder how they got to a 1m estimate).

A bit of both, but more leaning to 'I was expecting more'; especially after the talk of 1 million people, or the stories of how many went to the Queen Mother's (which most definitely got a hugely inflated estimate of numbers). I expect that a lot of people might have queued for  4 or 5 hours but, you know, have lives that don't allow them to stand outside overnight or get dumped into central london at 3:00 am to try to get home to the shires.

As daft as it sounds, some kind of terraced walkway three levels high would have massively increased the number of people the site could handle at one time. There was room for it and them.

32 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

It was a war where a game of football threatened to break out. If anything, it's worth watching the footage Eddie McCreadie's, erm, attempted clearance/flying scissor kick at Billy Bremner's head.

A few years back they got Howard Webb, or Clattenburg or someone to “referee” the video tape and he’d have given 6 iirc red cards and 20 odd yellows, whereas at the time there was 1 booking over the 2 games.

Its a phenomenal watch really, the footballs good, but the violence and hatred  is just unbelievable 

1 hour ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Midweek prime time viewing, plus proper hatred between the teams.

Still weird that two teams most neutrals would want to both lose playing a particularly dirty incarnation of an annual fixture that never gets near the most watched list got more views than a royal funeral we had a public holiday to watch and even Babestation was screening.

(I didn't watch either, but then I wasn't even an egg in 1970)