Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Confused Clarity said:

Mentioned it earlier, but it's because, when Queen Victoria died in 1901, the horses refused to be cooperative, so instead they had it pulled by the guards.

It's then been done at every one since. This will be the 5th funeral its happened at including Victoria's.

It's still weird. To me anyway.

31 minutes ago, Weezer said:

They'll just lie anyway like they have with Diana. They'll come up with an even more fanciful number because you can't have less people watching the Queen's funeral than Diana's. I'm going to guess they go with 3+ billion.

According to the Daily Mail "industry experts" said up to 4.1b which seems fanciful.

This is both impressive and quite dull

1 minute ago, The_jagster said:

According to the Daily Mail "industry experts" said up to 4.1b which seems fanciful.

Actually going with more than half the world's population this time :rolleyes:

It's just British self-importance. Desperate to still think we're a big deal and the eyes of the world are upon us.

4 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

I know there's nothing on but surely we're not counting funerals as a sport now

image.png.b1cdbfe464d40ad0c37a701ca99d171e.png

Mourning is our national sport tbf.

Just now, ginnybob said:

****ing hell. Was he a prankster? That's the only reason to subject anybody to that never ending song. 

I might do it at my funeral. 

Yeah, had a passion for never been able to shut up as well, my cousins wedding as father of the bride his speech went on for 30 minutes. 

My aunt was bawling for the first 3 minutes, stopped till about 2 mins from the end where they pulled the curtain across to send him off to the inferno and set her off again.

His wake was good though. 

3 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

If you claim the Indian's and Chinese are watching in big numbers you get a good way there with them two alone.

1 minute ago, JJ72 said:

Fancy ever wanting to watch it back. Just weird 

My parents have filled their Sky box memory with recordings of basically everything the BBC have broadcast since her death was announced. They're never going to sit there and rewatch days worth of TV and at some point they're going to have to start deleting it anyway because they won't be able to record any more Coronation Street or The Chase. Bonkers. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Weezer said:

It's just British self-importance. Desperate to still think we're a big deal and the eyes of the world are upon us

We are usually near the top for "soft power" rankings mind so there's an element of truth to this; as there remains an element of truth to Orwell's writings about the British left still.

So is today the bank holiday we read about or is there another one where people can get sloshed without the funeral distraction? 

Bit rubbish if it is. That operation London Bridge made it sound like there'd be a few long drinking weekends when she died. 

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

My parents have filled their Sky box memory with recordings of basically everything the BBC have broadcast since her death was announced. They're never going to sit there and rewatch days worth of TV and at some point they're going to have to start deleting it anyway because they won't be able to record any more Coronation Street or The Chase. Bonkers. :rolleyes:

It'd be disrespectful to delete it though, they've basically halved the memory of the Sky Box out of respect. It'll be like all those Diana funeral VHS recordings that are still sat around

Just now, Weezer said:

I've only got the day off today because my boss didn't want any bad publicity from our vans driving to work and carrying on as normal :D 

I'd be at work if I had the choice.

Mate of mine is a painter/decorator. He's gone in today, but in his misses car and not his van with adverts on because he didn't want the bad publicity for being seen to be working instead. :D

1 minute ago, sc91 said:

Mate of mine is a painter/decorator. He's gone in today, but in his misses car and not his van with adverts on because he didn't want the bad publicity for being seen to be working instead. :D

I should have done the same.

5 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

So is today the bank holiday we read about or is there another one where people can get sloshed without the funeral distraction? 

Bit rubbish if it is. That operation London Bridge made it sound like there'd be a few long drinking weekends when she died. 

This is all you get. Unless they do something around the coronation but don't think they will.