Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mark1985 said:

I got married on a day when it was 40 degrees Celsius. Yes I am aware of what hot is. I also wanted to get out of the damn thing into something more comfortable as soon as I could

Edit: As you're a royalist, name one way the royal family has improved your life. How does having a royal family make your life better than not having one?

I've never said I'm a royalist I do respected the Queen and many of the members of the Royal Family bar Camilla and Prince Andrew

45 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm against the monarchy on the basic principle that people should be born equal under the eyes of the law, and that there is no place for a monarchy in a democracy. There's definitely things about the Queen I don't think she's done well for herself out of, but I don't think personal arguments against the monarchy (ie. Liz and Charles are bad people) are all that compelling reasons to get rid of it.

Agree that monarchy is fairly ridiculous.

But I also think that personal arguments against the monarchy are equally ridiculous to personal arguments in favour of it, especially when the articles have to dig as deep as "didn't agree with those advisers that reckoned she should go to Aberfan to get photos with mourners asap" to conclude she can't be that nice a person. (Apart from anything else, I can think of a few actual politicians that would absolutely relish going to a disaster like Aberfan as an opportunity to improve their ratings, and that's a lot less nice...)

• Administrators
Just now, Ackter said:

Just points out the ridiculousness of the Times headline.

Yeah but the name of tweeter doesn't make that sound any better either

12 hours ago, mark1985 said:

Edit: As you're a royalist, name one way the royal family has improved your life. How does having a royal family make your life better than not having one?

Granted, I'm not a royalist nor British but I have a King nonetheless. 

There is one way my royal family helps, I don't have to wake up one day with someone like Trump in charge, I don't have to feel embarrassed just being randomly born in  Norway. :) 

They also help opening doors for exporting goods, not literally of course.

22 minutes ago, Bootador said:

If I want to be King, can I just stand in a line for 12 hours as do I need to do more? Asking for a friend.

AFAIK you have to ruthlessly slaughter anyone opposed to you and exploit and oppress as many people as you can for your own personal gain for a couple of hundred years first.

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Can we get a bank holiday every year then? We get a day off for Jesus, but not for the Queen - doesn't seem right to me.

We'll probably have one next year too for the Coronation unless its a weekend i guess.

20 minutes ago, Loki679 said:

AFAIK you have to ruthlessly slaughter anyone opposed to you and exploit and oppress as many people as you can for your own personal gain for a couple of hundred years first.

That's basically every country in the world though.

1 hour ago, Rafalution said:

But they aren't really in charge, your PM is. Just like we have a monarch but still have to wake up with Truss in charge

Isn't that kind of the point though? Trump wasn't bad just strictly from a governance perspective but because there also exists no separation between the symbolic weight that comes with being head of state and the executive role. In the UK, the executive role doesn't also carry the symbolic weight so your Trump-esque cult of personality and all that has entailed and continues to entail are less likely.

Now personally I don't think that even comes to close being able to justify a monarchy in my eyes and this sort of separation can probably be achieved by other means (and has) but its still a benefit there of and a significant difference between the two names floated.

14 minutes ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

Isn't that kind of the point though? Trump wasn't bad just strictly from a governance perspective but because there also exists no separation between the symbolic weight that comes with being head of state and the executive role. In the UK, the executive role doesn't also carry the symbolic weight so your Trump-esque cult of personality and all that has entailed and continues to entail are less likely.

Now personally I don't think that even comes to close being able to justify a monarchy in my eyes and this sort of separation can probably be achieved by other means (and has) but its still a benefit there of and a significant difference between the two names floated.

I don't think it makes any real difference tbh. Do you judge Germany by their Chancellor or their President? Could anyone in here even name the president? 

Hoyle again acting with later honours being his primary interest. 

Well played Celtic fans today. I much prefer that response to Dundee Utd's yesterday. Although I have absolutely no issue with the latter I probably wouldn't do it myself, although if anything could induce me to do it it would be the sectarianism of Ibrox

5 minutes ago, arenaross said:

Hmm. Should the BBC really be putting statements from Prince Andrew out like this? 

He is getting so Fredo'd* by Charles**, isn't he? They're going to announce that he's taken holy orders and moved to the monastery of a silent order when people notice he's not been seen for a while.

*The Godfather, not the chocolate bar.

**Or possibly William, who allegedly wasn't happy about even the limited role he had post allegations.

Edited by leftback in the changing room

4 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

He is getting so Fredo'd* by Charles**, isn't he? They're going to announce that he's taken holy orders and moved to the monastery of a silent order when people notice he's not been seen for a while.

*The Godfather, not the chocolate bar.

**Or possibly William, who allegedly wasn't happy about even the limited role he had post allegations.

"I knew it was you, Andrew" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. 

Don't think it would be a fishing trip either. "Let's go on a boat to my obscure island, Andrew" instead maybe.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

1 minute ago, Rafalution said:

I don't think it makes any real difference tbh. Do you judge Germany by their Chancellor or their President? Could anyone in here even name the president? 

I don't possess an intimate enough knowledge of Germany to be able comment on that, in fairness.

So I'll double back to the original examples and re-iterate that there's a pretty observable difference between the two. 

8 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

"I knew it was you, Andrew" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. 

Don't think it would be a fishing trip either. "Let's go on a boat to my obscure island, Andrew" instead maybe.

Naa they'll go back a bit further and get him at The Severn Bridge Toll Booths

9 minutes ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

I don't possess an intimate enough knowledge of Germany to be able comment on that, in fairness.

So I'll double back to the original examples and re-iterate that there's a pretty observable difference between the two. 

Okay, well then going back to you're original examples I don't think it makes any difference that there is a symbolic Head of State, what matters is how bad or good the person in charge is (President for the US, PM for here). If we were as batshit crazy as the southern states then Boris' cult would be just as dangerous as Trump's is.