Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

5 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Why are people queue jumping. Everyone should do the same things Beckham and Suzanna Reid did 

Seems a fitting way to tribute a woman who got to jump just about every queue on every event she ever attended to be fair.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

It was indeed.

And yes, I think it was likely a coincidence and they should probably have shifted things around in the schedule. But I can see why people are upset.

Let's be honest, Charles had no idea what day it was.

3 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Just got an email saying HMV are closing their stores on Monday. I thought they'd closed all their stores like 10 years ago.

Nah I still buy CDs so pop in now and then this week was pretty stacked for new music actually so might go over soon

46 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's not actually true tbh, David Beckham is easily the more public of the two. 

Having crazy spurious articles written about you isn't the same as self promotion 

The pair of them have always courted publicity. It's how they manage to stay relevant for the media.

I might not be a royalist but I'm proud to have Queen Elizabeth our majesty, even if you have different views on her to mine and the Royal Family sure they may have had some ups and downs down the years I still respect your opinion but they're still here and some of them make us proud to be British 

22 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

I might not be a royalist but I'm proud to have Queen Elizabeth our majesty, even if you have different views on her to mine and the Royal Family sure they may have had some ups and downs down the years I still respect your opinion but they're still here and some of them make us proud to be British 

Why do they make you proud to be British? 

2 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

Don't understand anyone who thinks this. Maybe the strength of our sporting achievements or our excellence in the Arts, or achievements in Science but someone born into a privileged position...it's bizarre

7 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

Because she was one of the most kind hearted people you'd meet given she's a lot higher class than her public even when we've endured the worst of times she was there to comfort us when these spineless b******* in government won't do anything she stood up and meant it not like our current MPs

3 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Because she was one of the most kind hearted people you'd meet given she's a lot higher class than her public even when we've endured the worst of times she was there to comfort us when these spineless b******* in government won't do anything she stood up and meant it not like our current MPs

How do you know this? 

6 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

How exactly did she comfort us? What did she stand up to? What makes her any better (higher class) then anybody else?

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Would you say the same about a neighbour who you don't know personally, except maybe have seen mostly wave and say one or two "nice things"

The revisionism with the Queen is amazing really. She wasn't universally liked throughout her reign. The initial response to Diana and others, put her under real scrutiny.

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Would you say the same about a neighbour who you don't know personally, except maybe have seen mostly wave and say one or two "nice things"

The revisionism with the Queen is amazing really. She wasn't universally liked throughout her reign. The initial response to Diana and others, put her under real scrutiny.

What happened after Diana's death, was very telling. It was a PR disaster for the queen.

30 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The Diana thing put the Royal Family in poor light, She reacted to all of it badly and didn't come across as sincere when giving a statement to the nation, They had to change and i think they did. so since 1997 people will speak of the Queen in glowing terms 

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Citizen Kane said:

Do you have this or a summary 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/09/10/queen-elizabeth-princess-diana-funeral/

“WHERE IS OUR QUEEN?”

“SHOW US YOU CARE”

“YOUR PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING, SPEAK TO US MA’AM”

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Citizen Kane said:

Do you have this or a summary 

You might also want to look at the Queen's response to the Aberfan disaster, the treatment of her disabled first cousins (said to have died many years younger than they actually did due to being in an institution), her lobbying to keep the royal family exempt from tax and discrimination laws. There's more, too.

Yeah but she said some nice things in a pre-prepared script once or twice a year - deffo very high class. Definitely not just enjoying the wealth and power of her unearned position while just giving a wave and a smile once in a while. 

1 hour ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Because she was one of the most kind hearted people you'd meet

Have you met her?

given she's a lot higher class than her public

what makes her high class?

she was there to comfort us when these spineless b******* in government won't do anything she stood up and meant it not like our current MPs

how did she comfort us? what did she stand up against? 

5 hours ago, ginnybob said:

For someone that's not a royalist there's certainly a lot of royalist propaganda there.

"comfort us" ffs :D

tbf, she's been accused of being unkind for not comforting people elsewhere as if the thing that really upset Aberfan parents was her husband going first. People writing "actually the Queen is really bad because..." articles picking on stuff like that are peddling just as much tripe.

3 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

giphy.gif

He obviously needed the "tracksuit manager" attribute points :D 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

People writing "actually the Queen is really bad because..." articles picking on stuff like that are peddling just as much tripe

Except they are not. People really were upset. The monarchy in the wake of Diana's death was very much questioned as whether we needed one. It's well known the Queen didn't like Blair and was indebted to him for saving her. 

Hardly tripe.

23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Except they are not. People really were upset. The monarchy in the wake of Diana's death was very much questioned as whether we needed one. It's well known the Queen didn't like Blair and was indebted to him for saving her. 

Hardly tripe.

People really were comforted too (and much like the Aberfan disaster, the upset and comfort mostly involved monarch-watchers, not people directly involved. The actual parents had more important things to be upset about than the whereabouts of the monarchy, and the actually important Aberfan scandal was not heeding the warnings about the danger of the spoil tip, not a young lady being a bit scared to go to a disaster zone for photo opportunities. I imagine when Philip went first he even avoided telling his awful jokes)

And more to the point, odd that this thread seems to both be simultaneously laughing at the guy who says the Queen comforts people whilst also listing delaying turning up to comfort people as one of the worst things the Queen ever did :rolleyes:

Edited by enigmatic

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

not a young lady being a bit scared to go to a disaster zone for photo opportunities)

She wasn't scared. She was advised not to go.

7 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

And more to the point, odd that this thread seems to both be simultaneously laughing at the guy who says the Queen comforts people whilst also listing delaying turning up to comfort people as one of the worst things the Queen ever did :rolleyes:

Not really that odd as different people are saying different things. And the listing of scandals was in response to a question asking for sources about things the Queen has done, it's not a personal remark that these are especially the worst things she's ever done. 

I'm against the monarchy on the basic principle that people should be born equal under the eyes of the law, and that there is no place for a monarchy in a democracy. There's definitely things about the Queen I don't think she's done well for herself out of, but I don't think personal arguments against the monarchy (ie. Liz and Charles are bad people) are all that compelling reasons to get rid of it.

• Administrators
Just now, thefmveteran86 said:

You know how hot it is wearing a suit during that weather earlier today?  as you've been to funerals, weddings etc right?

I'd probably feel just as hot in a tracksuit - he's not exactly wearing shorts and a tee?

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm against the monarchy on the basic principle that people should be born equal under the eyes of the law, and that there is no place for a monarchy in a democracy. There's definitely things about the Queen I don't think she's done well for herself out of, but I don't think personal arguments against the monarchy (ie. Liz and Charles are bad people) are all that compelling reasons to get rid of it.

I couldn't agree more with all of this.

In a modern democracy the reasons for not having a monarchy aren't really anything to do with the individuals. The only real reason based on individuals that I think is a valid point relates to Andrew really, and that's just because it exemplifies the fact they are not accountable in a way normal people are and don't show any signs of changing on that front.

12 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

You know how hot it is wearing a suit during that weather earlier today?  as you've been to funerals, weddings etc right?

I got married on a day when it was 40 degrees Celsius. Yes I am aware of what hot is. I also wanted to get out of the damn thing into something more comfortable as soon as I could

Edit: As you're a royalist, name one way the royal family has improved your life. How does having a royal family make your life better than not having one?

Edited by mark1985