Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Peter G said:

Regardless of whether you agree of the Monarchy or not. You can't help but agree that we don't half do these things well, we know how to put on a show

At what cost? Stewards, policing etc those police could be better doing something more worthwhile like maybe stopping crime.

37 minutes ago, Senoj Lihp said:

imagine if becks gets snubbed for the knighthood again.. those leaked emails will be like "queued for 12 hours to see her maj and charlie boy still mugged me off"

He should donate to Charles. Those Qatari millions might come in handy.

2 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I feel like there's some British exceptionalism at play here, do people realise other countries have really daft pomp and ceremony things as well? I mean sure we can debate whether the royal family should still exist (imo, no) and it is offensive to a lot of people, but I don't think other countries are looking at this and laughing at the pomp and ceremony stuff, they do it as well.

My parents where in Thailand when Bhumibol Adulyadej / King Rama IX (don't know what's appropriate) passed away in 2016.

For part of their holiday almost everything closed down completely. It's daft to think that we're the only ones who do things the way that is being done. Definitely a bit of British Exceptionalism or at least confirmation bias at play.

50 minutes ago, The Golden boy said:

You think this is all mad? 

When King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand died in 2016, the official mourning period was a year (the whole country had to observe 30 days of mourning, which is akin to 30 days of what's happening on the BBC right now, the football season got called off and entertainment venues shut or reduced there hours). His body lay in state for close to a year, and he wasn't cremated until over a year after his death. His successor was crowned 2 and a half years after he took the throne.

All in a country where it is illegal to criticise or insult the monarchy.

Didn't see this before I posted, but yeah, my parents said it was certainly an experience.

6 hours ago, Loki679 said:

You're all batshit mental.  Someone said they'd join the queue if it got down to 1.5 MILES and that passed as a normal comment.

Fruitloop of a country.

That was me and that was when the queue was 2.6 miles long for a while and then it dropped to 2 miles long. Since then it has blown out of proportion so there is no chance I'm going now, I struggle with queues and usually take my sister to stand in lines for me but she hates the monarchy 😔

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Beckham queuing for 12 hours :applause:

Most of this thread thought queuing was creepy yesterday from what I read and now a celebrity queues it's applause :D

2 hours ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

I think he came across really well and did it for genuine reasons, fair play

Do you think he was genuinely being morbid and creepy? (My view) I do not.

2 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Yeah no beef with Beckham, fair play.

What about the rest of the queue and celebs, no beef with them or just Becks? I think it's fantastic on all their parts and I'm slightly jealous that I don't have the stamina to queue for over 3 hours.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, HoChiKim said:

What about the rest of the queue and celebs, no beef with them or just Becks? I think it's fantastic on all their parts and I'm slightly jealous that I don't have the stamina to queue for over 3 hours.

I don't really have the stamina to queue more than a couple minutes. Wouldn't want to for this anyway, but I think it was good on him to queue like everybody else. The celebs, MPs etc being able to jump the queue is a little unfair. 

But then I think people are mad to queue for hours like this anyway :D 

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I don't really have the stamina to queue more than a couple minutes. Wouldn't want to for this anyway, but I think it was good on him to queue like everybody else. The celebs, MPs etc being able to jump the queue is a little unfair. 

But then I think people are mad to queue for hours like this anyway :D 

Is there a celeb lane? I can only find reports that Schofield and Willoughby could skip it for work purposes, not just as they are famous. (Not sure I even agree with that concession tbh)

1 hour ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Whatever people think of Charles or the monarchy the man just lost his mother. Just wrong.

Time and a place to protest like that. This man chose a time and a place to be a complete bastard.

Just now, anagain said:

Whatever people think of Charles or the monarchy the man just lost his mother. Just wrong.

Time and a place to protest like that. This man chose a time and a place to be a complete bastard.

And he's also just ascended to the throne, seems a good enough time to me, i'm sure old charlie boy won't go crying to his bed over it. 

3 minutes ago, anagain said:

It's exactly the time and the place. I remind people that the funeral isn't until Monday - so these few days are fair game.

18 minutes ago, anagain said:

While I wouldn't do it personally, I can understand people's frustration and anger.

Where else are they going to direct it? This is a time when it'll get national attention.

People are starving right now. People can't afford to heat their homes right now. People are staring at the possibility of redundancy because their employer can't afford to keep them on/the business open right now.

This is all happening right now. For people who are suffering right now, there is no other time or place than right now.

While you nor I would act in this manner ourselves, please don't criticise those in society who feel they have no other option left to draw attention to their plight.

Edited by Confused Clarity

34 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

While I wouldn't do it personally, I can understand people's frustration and anger.

Where else are they going to direct it? This is a time when it'll get national attention.

People are starving right now. People can't afford to heat their homes right now. People are staring at the possibility of redundancy because their employer can't afford to keep them on/the business open right now.

This is all happening right now. For people who are suffering right now, there is no other time or place than right now.

While you nor I would act in this manner ourselves, please don't criticise those in society who feel they have no other option left to draw attention to their plight.

And that's Charles' doing, is it? Might wanna look towards the fat cat bosses, the Tory liars who allow fat cat bosses to get rich. I'm not avoiding the subject of whether the royals should have the money, or not. I personally think it was wrong that Charles avoided inheritance tax.

I think there'sa time and a place for stuff like that. In his face is not one, not now. I'm sure he'll cope. Just people talk of respect and fair treatment and it's condone when someone shouts abuse in the face of a man beareved. Maybe I am old. Maybe I act older than some but I wonder what became of "treat others as you yourself would like to be treated". There's right to be heard, right to protest. Right to be an insufferable berk?

Not gonna push it but I did think that was too far.