Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Regardless of whether you agree of the Monarchy or not. You can't help but agree that we don't half do these things well, we know how to put on a show

Confident statement this. What elements of it are "putting on a good show"? 

There seems to be a potentially unfounded assumption that the rest of the world is looking on and is somehow impressed in many quarters here. 

Huge parts of the world must be a) not looking on or b) find it utterly cringeworthy and outdated and a horrendous waste of money, time and resources. 

It's definitely not just a British thing

Over here when ex prime minister Lee Kuan Yew passed away, queues also went to 10+ hours while his body was in state.

About half a million people visited according to the count. That's probably like 10% of the population then.

7 minutes ago, bermybhoy said:

Huge parts of the world must be a) not looking on or b) find it utterly cringeworthy and outdated and a horrendous waste of money, time and resources. 

Most parts of the world are merely surprised and then consider Brexit and Boris Johnson.

11 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's not unfounded though. Even if you don't like the monarchy ( and I don't care about them personally) , you'd have to be blind to ignore that loads do, around the world. Even a casual glance at non UK news sources would have shown you this 

Well no, the key part here is not that news sources are paying attention, it's that people around the world are impressed. That they think it's a great show and think the UK is "doing it well." Really?

Edited by bermybhoy

1 minute ago, bermybhoy said:

Well no, the key part here is not that news sources are paying attention, it's that people around the world are impressed. Really?

Plenty are impressed and care because the monarchy still has a large global following, plenty will not give two *****, plenty will hate it because of what colonialism means. This isn't a controversial point.

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Plenty are, plenty will not give two *****, plenty will hate it. This isn't a controversial point 

Dunno, maybe semantics here somehow? If you hate it or maybe even find it offensive are you really going to say that you grudgingly respect what a terrific show of pomp it all was?

I feel like there's some British exceptionalism at play here, do people realise other countries have really daft pomp and ceremony things as well? I mean sure we can debate whether the royal family should still exist (imo, no) and it is offensive to a lot of people, but I don't think other countries are looking at this and laughing at the pomp and ceremony stuff, they do it as well.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I feel like there's some British exceptionalism at play here, do people realise other countries have really daft pomp and ceremony things as well? I mean sure we can debate whether the royal family should still exist (imo, no) and it is offensive to a lot of people, but I don't think other countries are looking at this and going laughing at the pomp and ceremony stuff, they do it as well.

This is partly the point I'm trying to get. Whether you agree with the Monarchy or not. Whether you agree with the events that have happened with certain things being cancelled or not. Whether you agree with queueing up to see the Queen or not. 

We are pretty good at putting on an event with ceremonial or pomp involved

2 minutes ago, bermybhoy said:

Dunno, maybe semantics here somehow? If you hate it or maybe even find it offensive are you really going to say that you grudgingly respect what a terrific show of pomp it all was?

I'd probably call it so far a well executed procession, that I think is a massively disruptive waste of money, but that's because I don't care about the monarchy, and it's colonial past. But I'm not so blinkered that I can't see how those who care, or at the very least don't hate it, will think it's looks incredible, like my mum (who was born in newly independent Ghana at the time and loves it oddly)

47 minutes ago, Smallen said:

I wonder if looks good to the people of Ireland, or Britain's once largest colony India.

Well, nah, but then you just switch it off and ignore it. By all accounts (save to speaking as a whole), Liz did a good job of respecting decolonisation and has done decent enough work to maintain/repair relations that Britain had, her visit to Ireland for example.

10 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Well, nah, but then you just switch it off and ignore it. By all accounts (save to speaking as a whole), Liz did a good job of respecting decolonisation and has done decent enough work to maintain/repair relations that Britain had, her visit to Ireland for example.

According to the opinion polls, the Queen was more popular in Ireland than any of their policitians.

2 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Sinn Fein's reaction to her death has been telling of this. 

22 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I feel like there's some British exceptionalism at play here, do people realise other countries have really daft pomp and ceremony things as well?

Is their pomp and ceremony symbolic of their colonial history and Empire? I dunno… I’m willing to accept my opinions skew my perception of how it might be viewed globally, but I think there’s a case for exceptionalism sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Is their pomp and ceremony symbolic of their colonial history and Empire? I dunno… I’m willing to accept my opinions skew my perception of how it might be viewed globally, but I think there’s a case for exceptionalism sometimes.

Colonial Africa, in their many many different tribal and national ways did pomp, ceremony and celebration long, long before Europeans turned up. 

She was fairly popular in India, tbf, at least for a well-known UK politician/Royal Family member. The first time she came here, you literally had hundreds of thousands of people going out to catch a glimpse of her.

Churchill is despised though.

Edited by Darius1998

41 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I feel like there's some British exceptionalism at play here, do people realise other countries have really daft pomp and ceremony things as well? I mean sure we can debate whether the royal family should still exist (imo, no) and it is offensive to a lot of people, but I don't think other countries are looking at this and laughing at the pomp and ceremony stuff, they do it as well.

This, basically

13 minutes ago, Smallen said:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/4c/ba/f94cbacdb72a84c152b664e6ca083e58.jpg

I'm sure I've seen you post shots of London streets in Union Jacks before, national pride is even in the most progressive countries of the world.

Portugal's national day commemorates this:

Camões wrote Os Lusíadas (usually translated as The Lusiads), Portugal's national epic poem celebrating Portuguese history and achievements. The poem focuses mainly on the 15th-century Portuguese explorations, which brought fame and fortune to the country. The poem, considered one of the finest and most important works in Portuguese literature, became a symbol for the great feats of the Portuguese Empire.

You think this is all mad? 

When King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand died in 2016, the official mourning period was a year (the whole country had to observe 30 days of mourning, which is akin to 30 days of what's happening on the BBC right now, the football season got called off and entertainment venues shut or reduced there hours). His body lay in state for close to a year, and he wasn't cremated until over a year after his death. His successor was crowned 2 and a half years after he took the throne.

All in a country where it is illegal to criticise or insult the monarchy.