Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparantly Andrew is - somehow - still an honorary Vice Admiral. So can wear that uniform (but only with Charles' permission? I'm a bit fuzzy there.)

Whereas when Harry withdrew from Royal life all his honory ranks were taken away so in that respect he - like any ex-services - can't wear a uniform anymore.

Protocol schmotocol

8 minutes ago, sc91 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/13/preston-ban-football-fan-for-life-for-derogatory-tweet-about-the-royal-family

Out of all the things clubs have barely banned individuals for, all the aspects I've heard at grounds up and down the country, this is where the line is drawn? Jeez.

When you read on and find out he was boasting about how he was going to do Nazi salutes, he can get in the bin.

11 minutes ago, sc91 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/13/preston-ban-football-fan-for-life-for-derogatory-tweet-about-the-royal-family

Out of all the things clubs have barely banned individuals for, all the aspects I've heard at grounds up and down the country, this is where the line is drawn? Jeez.

Faircop were defending the poster initially (they also say they disagreed with what had been said) but it looks like they have deleted their tweets which suggests it was at least as bad or worse than in the article and probably indefensible. Having looked at the posters timeline, he got what he deserved 

That said, there's worse that fans have said and haven't been banned for. Though I'm arguing that fans should be banned for worse b rather than arguing he shouldnt be banned here 

6 minutes ago, Glenn Wakeford said:

When you read on and find out he was boasting about how he was going to do Nazi salutes, he can get in the bin.

Absolutely, more that given the sheer number of other issues that this is where clubs have drawn the line? It's baffling. 

6 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

He's a dick and the more info that comes out about what he actually said, the less sympathy I have.

No sympathy for him, more on this is where clubs have decided enough is enough. I've been an away travelling fan for decades, heard/seen my fair share of guff, just more stunned that the inaction of the past has had a line drawn under it when it comes to royalty.

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Faircop were defending the poster initially (they also say they disagreed with what had been said) but it looks like they have deleted their tweets which suggests it was at least as bad or worse than in the article and probably indefensible. Having looked at the posters timeline, he got what he deserved 

That said, there's worse that fans have said and haven't been banned for. Though I'm arguing that fans should be banned for worse b rather than arguing he shouldnt be banned here 

Same as you regarding the bottom half, there are far worse things I've seen and heard over the years where the fans in question have had a slap on the wrist at best and still get to attend games. 

Is this a "I'm going to do a Nazi salute because I believe in Nazi ideology" or a "I'm going to do a Nazi salute because you and your family have done it and have a really uncomfortable past with fascism"? Because it's worth pointing out those two are very, very different and it would be really easy to imply it's the former when it was actually the latter.

3 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Is this a "I'm going to do a Nazi salute because I believe in Nazi ideology" or a "I'm going to do a Nazi salute because you and your family have done it and have a really uncomfortable past with fascism"? Because it's worth pointing out those two are very, very different and it would be really easy to imply it's the former when it was actually the latter.

How about we just don’t do nazi salutes? 

23 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Doing Nazi salutes to mock people with Nazi sympathies has been a thing almost as long as Nazi's doing it has been. 

The problematic bit of a Nazi salute is when the people doing it have actual Nazi tendencies. 

But are the people laughing with you for the mocking, or laughing because the Nazi salute is a "naughty" thing to do.

17 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Doing Nazi salutes to mock people with Nazi sympathies has been a thing almost as long as Nazi's doing it has been. 

The problematic bit of a Nazi salute is when the people doing it have actual Nazi tendencies. 

I’ve not heard of that before but I would say no matter what they think their intention is, it is absolutely impossible to do a nazi salute without coming across as a massive, massive ****. As it should be.

1 hour ago, sc91 said:

He has convinentley deleted the tweet that seemingly has got him banned stating if anyone was going to blow the Royal Family up, the funeral would be a great place to do it (Something along those lines), and has said "he's left the tweet up" that got him banned so people seem to assume it's this Nazi salute one.

6 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

But are the people laughing with you for the mocking, or laughing because the Nazi salute is a "naughty" thing to do.

I would suggest that people protesting a royal event would fall under the latter, given as far as jokes go it's about as subtle as a burning bin wagon. I'm also not sure censoring someone for making a joke at the expense of fascist sympathisers because some people might misunderstand the joke would be a very good move either. 

2 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I’ve not heard of that before but I would say no matter what they think their intention is, it is absolutely impossible to do a nazi salute without coming across as a massive, massive ****. As it should be.

Calling everything fascist has goose-stepped back into fashion - Reaction

Parody of Nazi's has been around for a while. There's a scene in one of the Bottom live shows where both characters give a Nazi salute when the royal family come on the TV, I'm sure there are plenty of others that don't immediately spring to mind.  

Edited by InigoPatinkin

9 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

I would suggest that people protesting a royal event would fall under the latter, given as far as jokes go it's about as subtle as a burning bin wagon. I'm also not sure censoring someone for making a joke at the expense of fascist sympathisers because some people might misunderstand the joke would be a very good move either. 

Calling everything fascist has goose-stepped back into fashion - Reaction

Parody of Nazi's has been around for a while. There's a scene in one of the Bottom live shows where both characters give a Nazi salute when the royal family come on the TV, I'm sure there are plenty of others that don't immediately spring to mind.  

I don’t know this guy but I doubt he’s on Chaplin’s level of satire.

5 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Also, some people will find the nazi salute offensive/triggering for quite legitimate reasons! I don't think a football match is a great place for it tbh.

Try doing it at a Spurs game and claiming you’re just a satirist.

3 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I thought we were talking about the guy talking about doing it at a football match?

The minute silence before the football match. I think it would be hard to misinterpreted the target of said gesture, no? 

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Also, some people will find the nazi salute offensive/triggering for quite legitimate reasons! I don't think a football match is a great place for it tbh.

This is neither here nor there really. We're not run by GB News, sometimes people will misunderstand things and be upset by them, you don't just ban people from doing them. 

12 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Try doing it at a Spurs game and claiming you’re just a satirist.

There's a good reason why very few comedians at any level go around doing nazi salutes anymore. If it's too spicy for them, it's definitely too spicy for Keith from Twitter trying to satirise the royal family in front of a bunch of pissed up Preston fans.

5 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Pretty unpleasant attitude imo, life isn't OTF I'm afraid.

This is such a vapid, empty response. You're advocating the exact same line of policy Priti Patel has been pushing through while she was in government. 

You can't ban things because bystanders might potentially be offended by something. 

3 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

There's a good reason why very few comedians at any level go around doing nazi salutes anymore. If it's too spicy for them, it's definitely too spicy for Keith from Twitter trying to satirise the royal family in front of a bunch of pissed up Preston fans.

It's also worth pointing out the incredibly obvious point that making a joke about doing something is not the same as actually doing the thing you're joking about, either. 

Edited by InigoPatinkin

Just now, InigoPatinkin said:

This is such a vapid, empty response. You're advocating the exact same line of policy Priti Patel has been pushing through while she was in government. 

You can't ban things because bystanders might potentially be offended by something. 

Where do you draw a line? I agree with you to a degree but what would you outlaw? 

If you can’t think of a better or smarter way to parody the Royals than doing a nazi salute I’d suggest you’re probably not the great satirist you think you are and are more likely just a **** stirring ****.

(not you personally)

Edited by Weezer

9 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Making unpleasant points and then boring everyone to death with pseduo intellectual arguments when challenged is kind of your thing so we're at an impasse here!

This is just more empty nonsense. You saying something is unpleasant doesn't make it so, you're just hoping that enough people will read it and accept it which is why you do it and then move on. You repeatedly did it in the covid thread too whenever people posted something that looked even marginally negative. You would say "this looks wrong" then never address the response.  

7 minutes ago, Weezer said:

If you can’t think of a better or smarter way to parody the Royals than doing a nazi salute I’d suggest you’re probably not the great satirist you think you are.

Agreed, but we don't ban bad satirists. "That's a **** joke" is far more cutting feedback than "here's a lifetime stadium ban". 

As for the edit: Sure, I'm pretty sure anyone who is going out of their way to make anti-Royal jokes right not is a **** stirring ****. Again though, I'm not sure why that would be considered grounds for a stadium ban by anyone sensible. 

Edited by InigoPatinkin

13 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

You saying something is unpleasant doesn't make it so

You're saying that any gesture is fair game and it doesn't matter if people find it upsetting or offensive or triggering, I think this is a unpleasant and wrong! Goodness me, I'm giving my opinion here not some peer reviewed scientific paper. You've got big enough shoulders, just accept that some people don't agree with you.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

Players and match officials will wear black armbands as a mark of respect and, together with managers, will gather at the centre circle before kick-off. 

Fans will be asked to join a minute’s silence, which will be followed by the National Anthem, God Save The King.

Big screens and LED perimeter boards will display tribute images to Her Majesty and flags at the grounds will be flying at half-mast.  

When the clock turns to 70 minutes, fans will be invited to applaud The Queen’s 70-year reign.

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Players and match officials will wear black armbands as a mark of respect and, together with managers, will gather at the centre circle before kick-off. 

Fans will be asked to join a minute’s silence, which will be followed by the National Anthem, God Save The King.

Big screens and LED perimeter boards will display tribute images to Her Majesty and flags at the grounds will be flying at half-mast.  

When the clock turns to 70 minutes, fans will be invited to applaud The Queen’s 70-year reign.

Just to ramp up the tackiness.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Yet I've been robbed of the ability to do this because they've randomly chosen the United game to be postponed.