Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean it is our fault really, we have food banks because we keep voting in a government that creates the conditions where they're necessary. Maybe we just deserve it. 

1 minute ago, oche balboa said:

Well i don't think this has been imposed by the royal family. Its the NHS who are at fault here 

:D It doesn't happen if we don't have a ****ing Queen Oche. 

Edited by InigoPatinkin

2 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

I mean it is our fault really, we have food banks because we keep voting in a government that creates the conditions where they're necessary. Maybe we just deserve it. 

And if a PM/President dies? 

5 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Except if we have a president. Like the Americans.

JFK's funeral was a national day of mourning, and the first one to be declared a federal holiday.

5 minutes ago, Gricehead said:

Except if we have a president. Like the Americans.

JFK's funeral was a national day of mourning, and the first one to be declared a federal holiday.

Were cancer check-ups cancelled on that day? Somehow I doubt it. 

A bank-holiday/federal holiday isn't the same as obviously essential services shutting down out of "respect". 

Edited by InigoPatinkin

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

But that's not happening because we have a monarchy. That's happening because people are ****ing idiots. 

I mean it literally is. You can say it's because people are ****ing idiots, but like anything it's the system that creates the people. It's not a coincidence that this is happening here and not in places with less entrenched nonsense. 

Just now, InigoPatinkin said:

I mean it literally is. You can say it's because people are ****ing idiots, but like anything it's the system that creates the people. It's not a coincidence that this is happening here and not in places with less entrenched nonsense. 

I think we'd have the same nonsense with a President. Look at the ***** we get around the Poppy 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I think we'd have the same nonsense with a President. Look at the ***** we get around the Poppy 

Nowhere near to the same extent, presidents don't stick around for 70 years. The only time the Americans have got even close is when one of the extremely popular ones was literally shot on the job.  

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They need to give you the option to work then. If they are closing it then they are denying you the option to work. Which means they must either give you the bank holiday pay, or let you work and pay you. That's what I would reply. 

Yeah, I am trying this but talking to HR is like speaking to a brick wall. Doesn't help the MD who's decision this would have been hasn't been in all day today.

They say we can't work from the office as it is closed and we can't work from home as they can't monitor who is working :D

Just got the e-mail that we'll be off on Monday.

But anyone in the Trust who is directly involved in patient care - be they doctors, nurses or admin staff - will all be expected to work.

Any depts that wouldnt be open on a Bank Holiday will not be expected to work.

Apparently the five Trusts in the area have all come to a consensus on it though

Those that do work can have another day off at a later date or get paid for the extra day

Edited by batch

10 minutes ago, titchuk said:

I thought we were all complaining recently that we don't get enough bank holidays in this country?

Weirdly enough, oncologists still work on bank holidays usually. There's also a massive difference between planned in advance bank holidays and whatever this has mutated into.  

Edited by InigoPatinkin

9 hours ago, ginnybob said:

Holy false equivalencies Batman. 

The tits protesting with a big police presence to protect them against a good hiding are of the same mindset of those who stand behind the police line at a football match with arms wide open offering the opposition fans, Without the ''despised'' police there to protect them they'd be nowhere to be seen. Perhaps the police should leave them be and let them figure it out instead of upsetting them and leading them out of harm's way

11 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

The tits protesting with a big police presence to protect them against a good hiding are of the same mindset of those who stand behind the police line at a football match with arms wide open offering the opposition fans, Without the ''despised'' police there to protect them they'd be nowhere to be seen. Perhaps the police should leave them be and let them figure it out instead of upsetting them and leading them out of harm's way

Perhaps they shouldn't be arresting them, yeah. 

6 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Weirdly enough, oncologists still work on bank holidays usually. There's also a massive difference between planned in advance bank holidays and whatever this has mutated into.  

I agree with the short notice issue you and CJ raise, but still seems to me to be a problem that hospitals have caused themselves. If oncologists were due to work on Monday, and usually work on bank holidays, why aren't they doing so this time? And they can get a day off in lieu? Feels like a trust should be able to deal with this stuff sensibly rather than us blaming it on the monarchy.

16 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Anybody who has to deal with IT sales calls in particular will love this. Just had an American cold caller leave a voicemail where they said that they'd first like to "express condolences for the loss of her Majesty the Queen".

Like we're all personally impacted by it or something.

Saw similar in a British Photography group on Facebook earlier. Loads of Americans in it cos they love us guys and loads of them replying to stuff "praying for you guys"

7 hours ago, SouthCoastRed said:

I think it was more in response to a misguided view of what public opinion would be. I don’t think they called them off to suck up to Charles, rather they stupidly thought it would be ‘for the best’

We both have no way of knowing this or agreeing about it, which makes this argument pointless, but I bet they didn’t, I bet they’d much rather it was much more private so they could grieve privately, but agreed to everything from a sense of duty.

It ****ing hurts to lose your mother, I hope you don’t discover that for a long time. 

I'm pretty sure Phillip wanted as private and low-key funeral as possible I don't think his misses is far from this view point, the protocol and pageantry and all the tradition is for the ''country''. King Charles looks as he's moved what he can along as fast as possible, so both sides don't get too peed off.  

19 minutes ago, titchuk said:

I agree with the short notice issue you and CJ raise, but still seems to me to be a problem that hospitals have caused themselves. If oncologists were due to work on Monday, and usually work on bank holidays, why aren't they doing so this time? And they can get a day off in lieu? Feels like a trust should be able to deal with this stuff sensibly rather than us blaming it on the monarchy.

:D  They've cancelled the football because as a country we have developed a psychosis over the royals where it is deemed necessary to display as much public "respect" as possible and somehow it's not because of the monarchy? You can't live in a system where it's drilled into the population that there's a special family who by blood are better than everyone else and we should all kneel down to them and then not blame said institution when things go wrong because people have been pre-conditioned to this sort of grovelling. 

Of course it's the monarchy's fault. 

4 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

:D  They've cancelled the football because as a country we have developed a psychosis over the royals where it is deemed necessary to display as much public "respect" as possible and somehow it's not because of the monarchy? You can't live in a system where it's drilled into the population that there's a special family who by blood are better than everyone else and we should all kneel down to them and then not blame said institution when things go wrong because people have been pre-conditioned to this sort of grovelling. 

I thought we were talking about hospital appointments rather than football, I find it baffling that hospital trusts don't have a plan they could've dusted off for this eventuality. I guess you're technically correct in that it's the monarchy's fault because if she hadn't died there wouldn't be a bank holiday :D but it strikes me as the hospitals are also very at fault because some of them have got themselves in a big pickle over something they knew was going to happen at some point.

Football cancellations are a bit odd and there's definitely an argument that there was a better opportunity to 'pay respects' by having them take place.

1 minute ago, titchuk said:

I thought we were talking about hospital appointments rather than football, I find it baffling that hospital trusts don't have a plan they could've dusted off for this eventuality. I guess you're technically correct in that it's the monarchy's fault because if she hadn't died there wouldn't be a bank holiday :D but it strikes me as the hospitals are also very at fault because some of them have got themselves in a big pickle over something they knew was going to happen at some point.

Football cancellations are a bit odd and there's definitely an argument that there was a better opportunity to 'pay respects' by having them take place.

I'd be more forgiving if it was just a matter of logistics, but cutting essential stuff (the hospital and foodbanks more than the football! :D) because of this moral panic to pay respects doesn't happen without having all these years of dogma shoved down our throats. 

16 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

These phrases aren't especially pleasant.

8 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

I'd be more forgiving if it was just a matter of logistics, but cutting essential stuff (the hospital and foodbanks more than the football! :D) because of this moral panic to pay respects doesn't happen without having all these years of dogma shoved down our throats. 

Nearly as bad as religion

5 hours ago, mark1985 said:

My argument is why are they any more worthy of being the monarch than me? Or you? Or Dave from the pub? Being the head of a country (regardless of how much power they do or don’t have) shouldn’t be down to the lottery of birth. 

But if you want any hope of winning that argument don't protest past the Queens Coffin, Republicanism will not surge due to some goofy tit with a sign.

1 hour ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Were cancer check-ups cancelled on that day? Somehow I doubt it. 

A bank-holiday/federal holiday isn't the same as obviously essential services shutting down out of "respect". 

We are having things cancelled because the country keeps electing parties that are handing out bank holidays ther'll be another for the Coronation, so blame the electorate and opposition parties.