Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

19 minutes ago, mark1985 said:

My argument is why are they any more worthy of being the monarch than me? Or you? Or Dave from the pub? Being the head of a country (regardless of how much power they do or don’t have) shouldn’t be down to the lottery of birth. 

Now I understand why you moved to Boston, you tea stealing inbred colonial scum. There isn’t a drop of pure German blood in your veins, you have no connection to Ze Glorious Third Reich, errrrr Royal Family

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

There are plenty of good arguments for a Republic ffs. Just because BG didn't list them in that post doesn't mean there aren't any. You choose not to listen to them.

Aye. But realistically unless the public sentiment changes enough it's not going to happen anytime soon. No politician who ever realistically wants to be elected will breathe that point, and there's enough of the country that, while not necessarily bring royalists, is sort of ok with the monarchy 

19 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Aye. But realistically unless the public sentiment changes enough it's not going to happen anytime soon. No politician who ever realistically wants to be elected will breathe that point, and there's enough of the country that, while not necessarily bring royalists, is sort of ok with the monarchy 

Yeah, it's not something I expect in the near future. As with other things (reversal of Brexit for one) we're reliant on older generations dying off and the younger ones wanting change. We'll likely be onto William by that point.

Edited by ginnybob

1 hour ago, profii said:

next monday is a public holiday as per the government announcement

therefore it is not part of your 25 day allowance and they need to let you have it off

stand your ground, its not about the public living crisis, its about them honouring the legal contract they agreed to when they employed you. They shouldnt even be asking people to WFH.

They have replied. 

"The annual leave entitlement is 25 days excluding Bank Holidays, contractually we have not stipulated the number of bank holidays or whether they are paid or not."

Then some screenshot saying there's no legal entitlement to bank holidays off.

"You don't actually have to grant employees bank holidays or public holidays as paid leave. There's no legal precedent that says these must be paid.

As an employer, it is entirely up to you whether you choose to offer bank holidays as paid leave. Whatever you do choose, your employees' entitlement to paid leave should always be outlined in the employment contract."

16 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Yeah, it's not something I expect in the near future. As with other things (reversal of Brexit for one) we're reliant on older generations dying off and the younger ones wanting change. We'll likely be onto William by that point.

One of those that's probably a geographical and class split as well, young middle-class I know are very pro-monarchy for example.

42 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Now I understand why you moved to Boston, you tea stealing inbred colonial scum. There isn’t a drop of pure German blood in your veins, you have no connection to Ze Glorious Third Reich, errrrr Royal Family

Yeah no connections to the Third Reich. None at all. Nope. ;)

17 minutes ago, Gazza D said:

They have replied. 

"The annual leave entitlement is 25 days excluding Bank Holidays, contractually we have not stipulated the number of bank holidays or whether they are paid or not."

"You don't actually have to grant employees bank holidays or public holidays as paid leave. There's no legal precedent that says these must be paid.

As an employer, it is entirely up to you whether you choose to offer bank holidays as paid leave. Whatever you do choose, your employees' entitlement to paid leave should always be outlined in the employment contract."

My mrs works at a doctors surgery 4 days a week

all bank holidays come out of her holiday entitlement which is ****

she has booked up all her holiday for the rest of the year, so if they close the surgery on Monday she could end up owing them time/money which is mental

We're all getting a day added on to our annual leave allowance here despite not being contractually obligated to, which is nice. Complete luck of the draw though, and I'm luck to be working for a smaller company where that's quite straightforward for a director to decide straight away.

Not 100% sure this is true, but the last set of stamps commissioned before her death, may well be this Transformers set 

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/transformers?gclid=CjwKCAjw1ICZBhAzEiwAFfvFhLZMnanNJ_qf6kohCizftMdZWbWepFAynxtHGTp8WbOa4FHy3kjL1BoCrA4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Might have to get the framed one as a mark of respect/they look cool 

I'm off, as it's a bank holiday and stipulated in my contract. My wife is also off, even though it's her work day, so she's working to days next week.

Annoying thing is, our daughter isn't in nursery on the Monday as they're closed, but they're still charging us. Throbbers. :mad:

32 minutes ago, Gazza D said:

They have replied. 

the wording of your contract is annoyingly grey. You only get 25 days holiday, but you have probably already taken 3 or more bank holiday days off this year, meaning they have honoured their statutory obligation to provide you with at least 28 days.

Your employers are some shady dudes, they are basically implying the rest of the bank holidays above and beyond 28 days statutory are some kind of favour.

37 minutes ago, Gazza D said:

They have replied. 

Then they should be allowing you the option to work.

They've told you they're closing for the Bank Holiday.

You're entitled to all bank holidays they recognise as additional leave per your contract. I'd get citizens advice on the blower tbh.

Had dinner with the old folks last night and they had the BBC on the entire time (and have since the second the news of her being ill hit). If I hear the word “service” or “duty” one more time I might actually kill somebody.

What a bunch of pompous nonsense.

Edited by Weezer

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Had dinner with the old folks last night and they had the BBC on the entire time (and have since the second the news of her being ill hit). If I hear the word “service” or “duty” one more time I might actually kill somebody.

What a bunch of pompous nonsense.

Yep. Too many times I heard the story about how some American who met the Queen asked the Queen if she'd met the Queen up in Balmoral.

And the news mostly just asking random people why are they in London.

7 minutes ago, bermybhoy said:

That would be better wouldn't it?

It looks like the woman BBC breakfast interviewed really early this morning, if it is, she’s cuddling a teddy bear, and she’s taking the bear to see ‘another Bear lover’. 

I’ve been standing up for all of this pomp and circumstance  all week, but by god, these people are barking :D

I'm not a royalist, but I can get and respect people are, with others simply interested in it for one reason or another.

My only objection to it is so much of the country effectively going on hold, or other important matters pushed completely out the limelight, and therefore scrutiny. My last count on the BBC news homepage was no less than 18 articles/media relating to the queen, even matters on the Ukraine was forced off until a couple of days ago. Other stuff in the world is very much still going on, and not seeing anything about it is damning. Even working in an SG department, we all might as well be on holiday, as next to naff all is happening with Ministers and Parliament all off, and even when they have not been, it's monarchy matters only.

Pretty much working in a stasis bubble right now, at least if they formally told us we're off, I could do useful things around the house, instead of sitting-by and hoping an e-mail or Teams message eventually comes in with something for me to do.

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi

47 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yep. Too many times I heard the story about how some American who met the Queen asked the Queen if she'd met the Queen up in Balmoral.

And the news mostly just asking random people why are they in London.

It was all just inane rubbish. There’s not enough  happening to justify 24 hour coverage and the only actual news was what is released as public statements anyway. Their coverage just seemed to be pictures of crowd scenes, wild speculation based on body language or the smallest of gestures and repeating endlessly what has already happened.

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Seen a few tears as well on the news, and that is something I really don't understand.

It's not that strange, she was a nice old lady and she died. 

My mum said she shed a few tears and complained about the 24/7 coverage as if they didn't have anything more important to talk about :D

Edited by enigmatic

2 hours ago, Gazza D said:

They have replied. 

They need to give you the option to work then. If they are closing it then they are denying you the option to work. Which means they must either give you the bank holiday pay, or let you work and pay you. That's what I would reply. 

5 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

So Center Parcs are booting people out for a night then telling them they can come back the next day? :D

Losing their collective minds.

And not until 4pm on the Tuesday.

Assuming they don't reverse this in any shape or form, be interesting to see what they'd do with people who simply refuse to leave.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/21378027.aberdeen-man-arrested-allegedly-spotted-carrying-eggs-near-queens-coffin/

A MAN has been arrested after he was allegedly seen carrying eggs as the Queen’s funeral cortege passed him.

The 38-year-old man was charged with a breach of the peace after he was allegedly spotted with the potential projectiles near Duthie Park in Aberdeen on Sunday, as the Queen’s funeral procession travelled from Balmoral to Edinburgh.

Police said he has been released on an undertaking and will appear before a court at a later date.

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/21378027.aberdeen-man-arrested-allegedly-spotted-carrying-eggs-near-queens-coffin/

A MAN has been arrested after he was allegedly seen carrying eggs as the Queen’s funeral cortege passed him.

The 38-year-old man was charged with a breach of the peace after he was allegedly spotted with the potential projectiles near Duthie Park in Aberdeen on Sunday, as the Queen’s funeral procession travelled from Balmoral to Edinburgh.

Police said he has been released on an undertaking and will appear before a court at a later date.

I'm flabeggasted