Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Yeah me too. The 24/7 nature of the news about her death, and most of the news just asking subjects who are they and where they’ve come from and why are they there is far too much. So much going on just not being reported and we’ve not had a government really since June. 

Having said that I’m not surprised at all this. Had a taste of it with Phillip. 

15 hours ago, Lucas said:

Very good thread, hard to disagree and I think he made some valid and fair points about the institution, and the political attachment the Tories are trying to make with this.

Sorry to be that bore again, but Truss isn't going to be accompanying King Charles on his tour, she's just attending some of the services - sounds like it might have been a misquote/misunderstanding.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/11/liz-truss-not-accompanying-king-charles-on-uk-tour-says-no-10

20 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

I’m trying not to bite every time BG posts something inane from his social media. But I genuinely can’t see what we’re supposed to be outraged by there. He’s literally just asking someone off camera to move the ink well so he doesn’t knock it off the table with his arm when he signs the document. The second clip he is even masking a smile about it. Hardly the act of a tyrant.

Given the way we have traditions in this country I have no doubt he would have happily moved it himself. However, someone, somewhere has been given the role to clear the table no doubt as they have throughout history. So to do so would take that away from them even if it is archaic and a bit silly. His first act should be to get a bigger desk.

not confirmed but it looks like games will happen this weekend but just not in London due to obvious reasons, Spurs V Leicester probably at risk, maybe Brentford's home game as well V Arsenal

Brighton V Palace is off due to rail strikes which don't exist any more so I've no idea what's going on with that

• Administrators

Bit of a shambles isn't it? How are fans supposed to plan or not if they are just waiting for clubs to be told by police if its going forward or not?

19 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

On twitter he claims he was taken to St. Aldates police station, a police station that doesn't have a custody suite. In his blog post he claims it was all dealt with in the back of the van and he was de-arrested. Sounds more to me like he was taken away for his own safety and is now crying wolf.

1 minute ago, Butts said:

On twitter he claims he was taken to St. Aldates police station, a police station that doesn't have a custody suite. In his blog post he claims it was all dealt with in the back of the van and he was de-arrested. Sounds more to me like he was taken away for his own safety and is now crying wolf.

Or just out and out lying 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Butts said:

Bit scummy to be lying if that's the case tbh.

Well, no. He was arrested:

A Thames Valley police spokesperson said: “A 45-year-old man was arrested in connection with a disturbance that was caused during the county proclamation ceremony of King Charles III in Oxford.

“He has subsequently been de-arrested and is engaging with us voluntarily as we investigate a public order offence. The man was arrested on suspicion of a public order offence [under section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986].”

Section 5 applies to behaviour deemed likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Guardian link

Edited by ginnybob

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Sounds like he was detained under the 'old' law... Hard to say since his tweet and blog don't quite match up. 

Section 5 would also suggest he was arrested for his reaction to those around him rather than shouting "who elected him?"

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's absolutely every chance the police have been heavy handed tbh. We've seen it many, many times. 

I would say there's every chance that both things are true, the police have probably been heavy handed and this fella has spotted his chance for a bit of publicity to further his cause.

Two things:

1. Unsurprisingly, inheritance tax does not apply to the royals, which shouldn't go down well in this climate but I bet it will 

2. The woman arrested for having a sign that said abolish monarchy also had F*CK written on it in massive letters so maybe she was detained for that?

43 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Wonder if London games will be allowed if away fans are banned.

It's not even like there wouldn't be fans of away clubs that are from or live in London, and also the same for London clubs, friend of mine has a season ticket at Spurs and travels from Manchester for each game, for example.

3 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Two things:

1. Unsurprisingly, inheritance tax does not apply to the royals, which shouldn't go down well in this climate but I bet it will 

2. The woman arrested for having a sign that said abolish monarchy also had F*CK written on it in massive letters so maybe she was detained for that?

That wouldn't be the first time someone has been arrested for that (the extremely prominent swearing)

It sounds like he decided to express his view which upset other members of the public attending the event
I would guess he was probably asked to leave and perhaps decided not to, stating he just wanted to express his opinion.
I would also guess the police interpret that as non-compliance and decided to arrest him and de-arrest him relatively promptly, thats probably their quickest route to removing him from the event 'lawfully'

I'm not condoning what they did but that seems like a logical way that situation would play out.

19 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Two things:

Did you miss the bit yesterday where amongst his other oaths Charles ceded all the revenues from the crown's properties to the treasury in return for the sovereign grant 
the crown retains ownership of those properties in name only, 

5 minutes ago, profii said:

It sounds like he decided to express his view which upset other members of the public attending the event
I would guess he was probably asked to leave and perhaps decided not to, stating he just wanted to express his opinion.
I would also guess the police interpret that as non-compliance and decided to arrest him and de-arrest him relatively promptly, thats probably their quickest route to removing him from the event 'lawfully'

I'm not condoning what they did but that seems like a logical way that situation would play out.

He doesn't need to comply with the police, only with the law. 

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

He doesn't need to comply with the police, only with the law. 

well the police probably said you need to comply with us because the law you are breaking is BoP (whilst applying a very low threshold to what peace actually constitutes)

As I said, not agreeing with it, but I can see how they would interpret/apply the law to get they outcome they want here.

10 minutes ago, profii said:

well the police probably said you need to comply with us because the law you are breaking is BoP (whilst applying a very low threshold to what peace actually constitutes)

As I said, not agreeing with it, but I can see how they would interpret/apply the law to get they outcome they want here.

The problem is precisely how they interpret the law to get the outcome they want. We can see why and how they have done it. What matters is whether it's right 

17 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

And the crown estate provides the government with a hell of a lot more money than they pay out as the sovereign grant I believe.

In the last year figures are available (2021/22), the Crown Estates made a net profit of £313 million - the Royal Grant for the same period is £43 million.