Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

It's the BH just this year or an extra one every year?

The obvious answer would be a new BH every year on the death of/funeral date (or closest Friday/Monday).

There won’t be as it ‘won’t be productive’ to give us an additional BH  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr_Whippy

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I did the Exeter Vs Leicester rugby game today, which was very nearly called off. In the end there was a prayer read and an immaculate minutes silence, followed by 14000 people signing God Save the King, and I thought that did far more justice than no one being there. Imagine having full football grounds everywhere today doing that. I could get it on a lack of police reasons. But I don't understand the disrespectful argument. By all accounts,the Queen was supposedly someone who liked to get on with things and carry on. Carrying on seems like the best tribute, imo. 

This.

She lived a full, happy life.

I find it odd that the way to show respect is to insist people stop living their life for a week.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Whippy said:

The obvious answer would be a new BH every year on the death of/funeral date (or closest Friday/Monday).

There won’t be as it ‘won’t be productive’ to give us an additional BH  :rolleyes:

That is the case tbf, and I don't see why the death of a monarch would justify an extra annual bank holiday anyway.

Just now, The_jagster said:

That is the case tbf, and I don't see why the death of a monarch would justify an extra annual bank holiday anyway.

There's been calls for an extra bank holiday around September/October for some time. So it's as good a reason as any to actually have considered to be fair.

16 minutes ago, Constantine said:

So nothing till October... Bloody hell!

Who knows. I've been known to be wrong. :stop:

Gonna have a nasty fixture back log if they don'tplay games. Hopefully all on Saturday and Sunday. Don't think that's disrespectful myself. All I think would be nice is Monday a free day.

6 minutes ago, Deltaroad said:

Who the hell takes bank holidays off anymore? Everyone just works the overtime

I have no choice when the company I work for is shut. Luckily I also do wedding photography, so I’m always ‘working’ taking photos instead and earn more than any overtime would give me. 

I honestly don't think I've taken a bank holiday off in the last 5 years thinking about it, bar Christmas day.   Not even sure if Christmas day even counts as a bank holiday?

I just see it as an opportunity to earn extra cash.

Doesn't the UK have one of the most bank holidays in Europe?  Next week bank holiday is obviously a one-off occurrence for a long time so I don't think it will be made to a permanent thing.

29 minutes ago, Deltaroad said:

Who the hell takes bank holidays off anymore? Everyone just works the overtime

Are you not quiet quitting - as they call it on twitter?

Been called work to rule for years and years but gotta give the millenials something to rave about.

9 minutes ago, Deltaroad said:

I honestly don't think I've taken a bank holiday off in the last 5 years thinking about it, bar Christmas day.   Not even sure if Christmas day even counts as a bank holiday?

Doesn't the UK have one of the most bank holidays in Europe?  Next week bank holiday is obviously a one-off occurrence for a long time so I don't think it will be made to a permanent thing.

Nope. Many have double figure public holidays. 

6 minutes ago, Deltaroad said:

One of the lowest in the world actually

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_public_holidays

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Big supermarkets on bank holiday hours for the funeral day presumably. Usually 10-6 or 9-6 or something instead of 6-10. All a bit daft since it means they stay open while the actual funeral is on. They surely aren’t going to close up in the middle of the day.

Helpful to folks who may have forgotten an item for their Great British meal to honor Her Late Maj.

5 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Iran :D

We need to add at least a couple more. 

Don't complain, we might have 11 public holidays, but that doesn't mean we have the day off... 2 of the 11 are on a Sunday anyway, so we are at 9.

6 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Don't complain, we might have 11 public holidays, but that doesn't mean we have the day off... 2 of the 11 are on a Sunday anyway, so we are at 9.

Yes, I remember reading some countries don't get them as movable holidays if they fall on a weekend. We at least get the BH moved if Christmas falls on a weekend.

Still your 9 would still beat our normal amount. We're getting a feast of them this year with the jubilee and the Queen dying. 

32 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

We should absolutely get more public holidays. We get ****ed in that regard in this country. Make the 19th September a monarch day, or Elizabeth Day, anything. If we have to put up with having them at least let's get something good out of it. 

Or just any time a new monarch takes the throne, turn that day into a bank holiday.

Charles takes over 8 September, so 8 September is Charles Day or something.

Wills then takes over on, say, 11 June, then Charles Day is replaced with William Day.

9 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Yes, I remember reading some countries don't get them as movable holidays if they fall on a weekend. We at least get the BH moved if Christmas falls on a weekend.

Still your 9 would still beat our normal amount. We're getting a feast of them this year with the jubilee and the Queen dying. 

I am not allowed to complain anyway as I have 43 days yearly and Liberation Day on top of that, plus those mentioned 9 days, so depending on where they fall between 43 and 51 days off.

Edit: Dutch semi-civil servant, we are lazy :D

1 hour ago, hardeepR said:

I find it odd that the way to show respect is to insist people stop living their life for a week.

We don't get to stop living our life though, we still have to go to work as normal. It's just all the fun recreational activities that have to stop.

7 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I know the old memory is fading but tell us again what you did at Trafalgar

I actually held back on making an "SCR is old" joke about that. :D

Was going to say that he could be a featured speaker at Trafalgar Day events, tell the crowd what his reaction was when he heard the news.

March 1st (St David's Day) - Should be a Bank Holiday for Wales
March 5th (St Piran's Day) - Should be a Bank Holiday for Cornwall
March 17th (St Patrick's Day) - Should be a Bank Holiday for Northern Ireland
April 23rd (St George's Day) - Should be a Bank Holiday for England
November 30th - (St Andrew's Day) - Should be a Bank Holiday for Scotland

Also should have a Bank Holiday the weekend the clocks go back to err, adjust ourselves to the new timezone :brock:

Uk people should check their contracts carefully when it comes to this bank holiday

Typically contracts say either

1. 20 days plus bank holidays

Or

2. 28 days including bank holidays

If you sit under number 2, you essentially have one of your 20 days picked for you, if you are number 1, extra day for you

Obviously some people get more than statutory leave and some companies may just say take the day and don't worry about it... but worth checking if they try to be funny