Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Nordan said:

We have a King's song, it's God save the Queen modified. It's not our anthem though.

Remember reading somewhere that a lot of national anthems have the same tune but different lyrics or whathaveyou.

38 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Remember reading somewhere that a lot of national anthems have the same tune but different lyrics or whathaveyou.

Our national anthem brings us down, the King's Song perks us right up again. :)

Our national anthem is quite different tbh, the King's song is mainly used in....well less formal events I guess.

5 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

?m=aW1hZ2UvcG5nLDk0OCwxMTM0LEEi0DrzqxpXj

A beautiful and fitting tribute to one of the legends of out time who was taken from us far too soon and will live long in the hearts and minds of the general public who adored them. We will never forget you. RIP Harambe. 

6 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

You just know that in about 2 days time there will be a story about how this league let a load of racist incidents slide by but this is 'despicable'

40 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

You just know that in about 2 days time there will be a story about how this league let a load of racist incidents slide by but this is 'despicable'

It's what Liz would have wanted.

So wonder if any of the big supermarkets are going to give staff time off next Monday?

Or even close as a mark of respect? Is thats such a bad idea. They used to do early Wednesday closing once upon a time.

Let's see if greed can make way for a change. People can live without supermarkets for a day.

Will anything else close, I wonder?

Edited by anagain

2 hours ago, ginnybob said:

What are they doing putting out statements today, shouldn't they be at home mourning and avoiding all work and activity?

Will they be compensating clubs for losing a weekend fixture, that'll almost certainly be moved to a less lucrative weekday that'll require expensive floodlighting?  

1 minute ago, anagain said:

So wonder if any of the big supermarkets are going to give staff time off next Monday?

Or even close as a mark of respect? Is thats such a bad idea. They used to do early Wednesday closing once upon a time.

Let's see if greed can make way for a change. People can live without supermarkets for a day.

Will anything else close, I wonder?

People vs profits. 

Wonder what will win out..

6 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

People vs profits. 

Wonder what will win out..

Suspect we all know the answer but who knows, maybe the sun will shine in the right direction for once. :D

Would be nice to just have one day where the world stops the financial merry go round.

Big supermarkets on bank holiday hours for the funeral day presumably. Usually 10-6 or 9-6 or something instead of 6-10. All a bit daft since it means they stay open while the actual funeral is on. They surely aren’t going to close up in the middle of the day.

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I'd love to know their actual reasoning for a charity walk being disrespectful, or why they think the Queen would support their decision.

I did the Exeter Vs Leicester rugby game today, which was very nearly called off. In the end there was a prayer read and an immaculate minutes silence, followed by 14000 people signing God Save the King, and I thought that did far more justice than no one being there. Imagine having full football grounds everywhere today doing that. I could get it on a lack of police reasons. But I don't understand the disrespectful argument. By all accounts,the Queen was supposedly someone who liked to get on with things and carry on. Carrying on seems like the best tribute, imo.