Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

Regarding the football being called off, I got absolute pelters on the local Facebook page regarding Hereford's game against Farsley Celtic for posting:

"People could have used the games this weekend to celebrate her life and show respect with a minute of applause. The matches may have helped the healing process that some need."

I got called the C word more times than any other occasion in my life. I don't really see anything wrong with what I wrote but, **** me, the hostility and threatening messages was way OTT.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Possible that they deliberately don't have that kind of relationship so that they can do that sort of thing.

Kind of sad in a way.

One thing we can say for sure is that everyone goes through grief in a different way. I don't think there's anything that unusual about how the King carrying out his duties like he is.

Just now, Anthrax Dave said:

Regarding the football being called off, I got absolute pelters on the local Facebook page regarding Hereford's game against Farsley Celtic for posting:

"People could have used the games this weekend to celebrate her life and show respect with a minute of applause. The matches may have helped the healing process that some need."

I got called the C word more times than any other occasion in my life. I don't really see anything wrong with what I wrote but, **** me, the hostility and threatening messages was way OTT.

Wow.

Honestly this has shocked me, but then I really don't hold an affinity for anyone outside my family or immediate friends. She meant nothing to me.

Even my work is quiet today, I work in an insurance broker. So odd

2 hours ago, Gricehead said:

this has been confirmed now. No involvement of the royal train. 

Yeah, those train tickets are bloody expensive even on a senior citizens advance and then you can't trust the thing to run. I wonder if they use any of the PMs planes 

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

Seems tied to the official, balanced and pragmatic parkrun position:

And yet there are still 67 (and rising) cancellations for tomorrow. Mostly down to landowners withdrawing permission, but a few where the run directors have taken their own decision.

Edited by Gricehead

2 minutes ago, Gricehead said:

And yet there are still 67 (and rising) cancellations for tomorrow. Mostly down to landowners withdrawing permission, but a few where the run directors have taken their own decision.

I just think there's no real need for Run Directors to make that call. I find it strange that a landowner would withdraw permission but your hands are tied a bit there, but RDs should be objective.

22 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They got spooked, jumped the gun, expected everyone to follow (which is usually the case tbf) but hardly anyone did and now they're screwed. 

Absolutely this. They wanted to be quick off the mark with something performative and completely misjudged it. There is nothing fundamentally disrespectful about holding a football match, and other sports are showing quite clearly that you can show respect whilst not grinding everything to a halt. Baffling stuff.

Think other sports have probably now seen what a ****show this is and decided to do the opposite.

Edited by ginnybob

2 hours ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Have to agree with this, I despise Boris with all my fibre, but that was some speech, even Harriet Harman congratulated him on it.

I'm getting even more suspicious now, after he was pulled up on lying to her a few years ago, when he met her, she looked well then two days later she's dead and in less than 24 hours he's written a speech that hasn't embarrassed the government and has redeemed his reputation slightly.

I'm just thinking as he's not been seen or heard of for a couple of months he plotting his revenge,  return in a script.

Edited by Garethjohn79

2 hours ago, Jorg said:

The thing is, they actually have!  The terrestrial TV stations aren't allowed to show any comedy programmes until after the funeral!  Utterly bizarre.

(Apart from HIGNFY) They've not shown a decent new comedy for nearly 15 years so there's no change there.

59 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

One thing we can say for sure is that everyone goes through grief in a different way. I don't think there's anything that unusual about how the King carrying out his duties like he is.

Where else does the death of your mother promote you into a job you've been waiting around to get for 70 years? 

2 hours ago, Jorg said:

The thing is, they actually have!  The terrestrial TV stations aren't allowed to show any comedy programmes until after the funeral!  Utterly bizarre.

Current TV guides not updated yet - still has HIGNFY and The Last Leg listed as airing tonight.

Just now, Heartwork said:

Current TV guides not updated yet - still has HIGNFY and The Last Leg listed as airing tonight.

I was waiting for Everybody Loves Raymond on C4 this morning!  I don't get it at all.  It was even written into Operation London Bridge or whatever it is called.

SKY's NFL channel showed highlights from last night and included advert breaks, now I'm not sure if it waited for the advert embargo to lift before showing it or not. But what would be worse in a full game on Sunday? the NFL with its advert breaks every 5 minutes, a cut to the studio and do what BT did at the United game, or a blank UKTV screen?

3 hours ago, darren1983 said:

Maybe I'm cynical but I honestly think because they assumed everyone else would cancel they wanted to be the first for the PR and now they just look stupid. 

You’re just complaining cos you’ve got an easy game :D

I haven't really watched any of the coverage since the announcement yesterday, but I did watch some of Charles' address (missed the start). I think he came across really well and it was a very good and moving speech. I've never really been a fan of him but if he carries on like that he'll be a decent king.

3 minutes ago, Katarian said:

I haven't really watched any of the coverage since the announcement yesterday, but I did watch some of Charles' address (missed the start). I think he came across really well and it was a very good and moving speech. I've never really been a fan of him but if he carries on like that he'll be a decent king.

Can you be a good/bad king in 2022?