Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the PL have jumped the gun on this and bottled it and EFL just followed. 

I think if they knew the Great North Run and Racing would still go ahead on Sunday they would’ve played the games.

Due to sensitive nature doubt any say anything but probably a lot of clubs/managers etc not happy about the decision. 

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Odd thing to tweet, because it is a factor for any police force having to help with the royal train down. 

probably going to be a plane taking the coffin down from Edinburgh to London I think

Seeing genuine anger about this on Twitter from people who don't usually get angry about these things. I could understand if next weekend's games get called off as policing concentrates on assembling for the funeral, but cancelling weekend sports activities AFTER you've sent people in to a day of work seems utterly bemusing.

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

Literally everything going ahead as usual, but not football. Can’t be having football when the queen’s dead, can we? Little Billy wants to play under 8’s on Sunday morning? No, he can sit at home and ****ing mourn like a proper Englishman :D

Apart from cricket. And cycling.

2 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Literally everything going ahead as usual, but not football. Can’t be having football when the queen’s dead, can we? Little Billy wants to play under 8’s on Sunday morning? No, he can sit at home and ****ing mourn like a proper Englishman :D

Must have been some mistake. Cricket was off too today 

3 minutes ago, Smallen said:

His dad best report for his shift at Amazon though.

2 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

Seeing genuine anger about this on Twitter from people who don't usually get angry about these things. I could understand if next weekend's games get called off as policing concentrates on assembling for the funeral, but cancelling weekend sports activities AFTER you've sent people in to a day of work seems utterly bemusing.

No one wants to make the decision. So it gets delayed and it becomes piecemeal 

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

OK sport doesn't actually matter, but I feel like these meetings do? :D Also as things stand no proper parliament until after the party conferences in October, not ideal is it?

I’ve just emailed my bank letting them know that out of respect for the queen my mortgage payment this week will not go ahead. 

2 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

That's the thing, like state funeral next Saturday? Totally get it, absolutely fine, but to cancel this weekends? Why? It doesn't make sense and if anything denies those who would tribute to her, from actually doing so, like I'd hate it but I'd imagine most grounds would have been like West Ham last night.

51 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

I bet the funeral is Monday 19th or Tuesday 20th but can't see games being on next weekend either.

It won't be the 20th (at least I hope not) as that's when a lot of disability benefits like PIP and DLA get paid and if its a bank holiday (and Tuesdays usually are never bank holidays for this very reason) then vulnerable people already struggling with both disability and the cost of living crisis may go without a months payment. 

9 minutes ago, sc91 said:

That's the thing, like state funeral next Saturday? Totally get it, absolutely fine, but to cancel this weekends? Why? It doesn't make sense and if anything denies those who would tribute to her, from actually doing so, like I'd hate it but I'd imagine most grounds would have been like West Ham last night.

Could see a few clubs trying to do a silence when they next play in October and it not being great.

6 minutes ago, TM said:

probably going to be a plane taking the coffin down from Edinburgh to London I think

1 minute ago, Harryseaess said:

I thought Operation Unicorn said the coffin would go on the royal train? Or have they changed their mind?

It should be going by train. I know army units have left for stations, chaos if that changes as well. 

1 minute ago, decapitated said:

It won't be the 20th (at least I hope not) as that's when a lot of disability benefits like PIP and DLA get paid and if its a bank holiday (and Tuesdays usually are never bank holidays for this very reason) then vulnerable people already struggling with both disability and the cost of living crisis may go without a months payment. 

Just going off the 10-12 days from death to funeral. Likely to have the "day of mourning" on the Monday as you say.

Here's what my local parkrun is doing tomorrow. And that's enough. Perfectly proportionate and respectful decision:

As a sign of respect at the passing of our Queen we will be holding a 1 minute silence before the run tomorrow.
We also invite you all to wear black for the run if you can / wish to do so.

The wider sporting decisions made seem way overblown.

I don't think Boris was having a dig at the BBC at all, more painting a picture of his emotion over it all.

Say what you like about Boris (and I cannot stand him) - but that speech he just gave was incredible. It brought me to tears for the first time throughout this.

1 minute ago, ginnybob said:

It's times like these that you really get a sense of what a backward, baffling little country this is. The Met Office ffs. Cancelling grassroots football. :D

To know this country all you need understand is that it is basically governed by the general sentiment of bitter retired English homeowners.

Just now, Bigwig said:

Mine as well.

Great North Run goes ahead as a ‘fitting tribute’ but kids’ football matches cancelled as a ‘mark of respect’.

Madness. 

Great North Run have cancelled the kids races but keeping the main one on. £££££££££££££