Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

I'm struggling to see how cancelling games is more respectful than games going ahead with thousands of people coming together and observing a collective minutes silence and players wearing black armbands. Instead royalists and non royalists all stay at home! 

Or stay in the pubs all day 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Only reason to cancel any games would be for lack of policing. This is just a nonsense really. 

That’s the excuse they’ll have binned them on, which is completely bollocks.

I could see a coherent argument with stopping the London games, with everyone rushing to Green Park to dump some ****** petrol station flowers, but in the provinces it’s just a cop out, but….they’ve got history for it, which is why it was obvious that’s what would happen

It seems a bit odd that for all the people saying what she would have wanted no-one thought to confirm her wishes with her while she was still alive.

Would it have been too much for someone to ask if she still wanted planned events to go on as normal or if she preferred for everything to be put on hold until after her funeral?

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

You crack me up pal :D

You were tearing into Clive Myrie for a tiny slip of the tongue during hours of live TV, yet now you're having a go at people because they might choose to get offended over something trivial like a sports match going ahead.

You really are the most ridiculous hypocrite.

You are a smug, nasty piece of work. The kind of fella that would enjoy telling kids that Father Christmas isn't real. Stick me on ignore if I offend you so much.

11 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Yeah, I don't particularly think Sinclair was right to tweet what he did. It's just a good example of the hypocrisy of people who whinge about cancel culture suddenly adamant he should be sacked immediately. The first few top hits on that tweet were people that streams of anti-woke, cancel culture stuff in them that I saw.

I just don't think it helps. I just think it causes more tension. 2022 is all tension.

What people don't consider is the Queen was actually a very considerate person that had a lot of intelligent thoughts of history and the effect of colonialism. Was watching Simon Schama talk on it.

A lot of bad things happened in history. I don't believe we learn by stirring up antagonism.

Did people know that Liz was criticised by parliamentarians (talking 50s here) for apparently caring too much about foreign nations? 

Can't we just all get along? 😁

Edited by anagain

Thing is with the EFL games too.

So they cancelled this weekends matches, they will most likely cancel next weekends too.  Will they have to cancel the midweek bunch and make it 3 matchdays needing to be sorted out?

And if the funeral is on the Monday or Tuesday, will that mean the Tinpot Pizza Tools cup gets postponed too that's due to be played the Tuesday? 

Edited by Pompeyboyz

13 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

This is the establishment that said having work parties was essential during a pandemic but attending funerals or visting sicking ill relatives in hospital wasn't. Absolute scum the lot of them.

This is all true but the telling thing was that when one of the parties was before Prince Phillip's funeral Boris apologised to the Queen rather than doubled down on it.

2 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

It’s weird as ****. Think it’s only going to turn people against the monarchy. People will be sick of this after 2 weeks

It might well turn OTF, however I suspect they won’t care, but Doris from Reigate thinks it’s 100% the right decision, and thousands agree with her.

Just now, Vynal Seven said:

They’re really just sitting he making us watch (listen to) bells ringing? :D 

Ive got to admit, I’m finding all of this strangely entertaining. 

Wait till the 96 gun salute in an hour, that will be awesome 

It's all a bit over the top, probably a consequence of there being no new Monarch in over 70 years so people and businesses/sports bodies don't really know what to do or how to react. That plus the guidelines might be 70 years out of date. :D

I suspect more modern protocols will be put in place for when Charles passes and we won't have to stop absolutely everything.

Can't help but suspect the decision to call off the Scottish games was at least in part to avoid the scenes of 10 sets of fans singing abuse about her all afternoon, not least seeing as most decisions in Scottish football are made to suit the interests of one of the otjrt two

1 minute ago, Big Geordie said:

Great North Run confirmed as going ahead. How come that can happen, but not football games?

The flag shaggers aren’t offended by running but they all hate football because they despise the working man. It’s class warfare BG.