Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, oche balboa said:

A death of a monarch overrides that. Is that clear enough.  

On the sports channels though? No it absolutely isn't clear. 

Only a country absolutely crippled by cancerous ties to its crooked empire and a toxic desire to "patriotic ally" hold contests as to who can grieve the most respectfully would shut down the sports pages. 

2 minutes ago, WLKRAS said:

I understand why sports would be off over the weekend, but I feel the Queen was always very much a 'the show must go on' kinda woman. So it that sense, it would be logical if it carried on. 

I agree, but don’t think it’ll happen. Cycling has gone early and cancelled the rest of The Tour of Britain, and just said the guy who was leading yesterday has won. I don’t think the test match will be played at The Oval either.

Without somebody actually making a decision football will just fall in line. If they were going to play, then wouldn’t have called off tonight’s games

Just now, Christmas said:

On the sports channels though? No it absolutely isn't clear. 

Only a country absolutely crippled by cancerous ties to its crooked empire and a toxic desire to "patriotic ally" hold contests as to who can grieve the most respectfully would shut down the sports pages. 

Get over it. It will soon pass 

19 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

More related consequences - all barristers who are QCs, immediately become KCs, all police (and other services) force badges with EIIR insignia will need to be changed, post boxes, currency, passports and stamps changes will be phased - Charles will face the opposite direction on the coins in accordance with tradition.

They don't change post boxes, even in a planned phased manner. That's why you'll still find boxes with Royal Cyphers right back to Queen Victoria

Any new ones will have a new CIIIR Royal Cypher (except in Scotland where new post boxes haven't had royal cyphers since around 1953 because some Scottish people reacted badly to QEII being called QEII).

Covid and the running community taught me more about post boxes than I ever wanted to know

Edited by Gricehead

4 minutes ago, Christmas said:

Just scroll down a bit. The sport is still there.

When do they confirm the funeral date?  I'm sure I read 9 days after the death in that Operation London Bridge article... but if that's Sat 17th potentially means two weekends running with no football.

Not sure if it's gets moved back to a weekday though if the 9 days doesn't fall Mon-Fri.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

When do they confirm the funeral date?  I'm sure I read 9 days after the death in that Operation London Bridge article... but if that's Sat 17th potentially means two weekends running with no football.

Not sure if it's gets moved back to a weekday though if the 9 days doesn't fall Mon-Fri.

I would assume that the date will be announced today, as there will be a **** load of planning required. But a weekend is a strong possibility as I doubt there would be a break in protocol just for football

1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

a weekend is a strong possibility as I doubt there would be a break in protocol just for football

I don't mean they would move the funeral back just so people can go to football :D   More that protocol might require a Monday-Friday funeral.  Otherwise how do all the public sector employees and great offices of state pay their respects with great pomp and ceremony if they're not at work to start with?

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I've seen Monday 19th mentioned as a date, it's normally 10 days for the operation which would be the Sunday though

Just now, Rob1981 said:

I don't mean they would move the funeral back just so people can go to football :D   More that protocol might require a Monday-Friday funeral.  Otherwise how do all the public sector employees and great offices of state pay their respects with great pomp and ceremony if they're not at work to start with?

Guardian saying it "should" be Sunday 18th September.

But in the same article they're talking about concerns London will "be full" due to mourners flocking there, and that doesn't tie in well with Sunday rail services (outside the immediate London area)

Personally, I'd find the "shut everything down to mourn" thing more understandable if she had died young and unexpectedly. A 96 year old woman peacefully passing hardly seems like reason to shut everything down. The rolling news headline last night was effectively "Son sad that his mum died", which is hardly news either.

She was a cultural giant, an inspiration to many and, ignoring the stuff that suggests otherwise, by most accounts a lovely woman. Give her a big send off, clad the newsreaders in black etc, but life goes on as well.

This country ****ing loves grieving doesn’t it?

I’ve had to block notifications to a couple of family related group chats already because of the nonsense. Feel like some people were actually looking forward to this just so they can all have a good old grief orgy.

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

This country ****ing loves grieving doesn’t it?

I’ve had to block notifications to a couple of family related group chats already because of the nonsense. Feel like some people were actually looking forward to this just so they can all have a good old grief orgy.

You hypocrite. Have you read the Wednesday thread lately? :D

8 hours ago, Christmas said:

Absolutely insane that BBC sport is just news items about the Queen. 

What a strange little country 

SKY Sports news is too. There is no relief, looks like all football and sports getting postponed this weekend and the forecast isn't that great either. The FA really need to have words with its President about this.

Just think if you are going to the pub to get pissed up to avoid the TV saturation, don't go to a Wetherspoons as it only shows BBC News 24 and is full of Patriotic, alcoholic bores who are bad enough during normal times. If you wanna laugh though just tell them she'd be still alive if it wasn't for Brexit

7 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

SKY Sports news is too. There is no relief, looks like all football and sports getting postponed this weekend and the forecast isn't that great either. The FA really need to have words with its President about this.

Just think if you are going to the pub to get pissed up to avoid the TV saturation, don't go to a Wetherspoons as it only shows BBC News 24 and is full of Patriotic, alcoholic bores who are bad enough during normal times. If you wanna laugh though just tell them she'd be still alive if it wasn't for Brexit

Its not about you guys 

Edited by oche balboa