Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

Last Night of the Proms cancelled, see again surely this would have been an opportunity for a lot of people of that age and persuasion to have an outpouring of love and respect and a good sing along.

99% of you peasants wouldn’t care one way or the other though :D

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

I watched the Man Utd match last night and it was all a bit surreal. Could understand not having adverts but then you had a presenter who literally just started the match for each half and there was no half-time analysis or anything. Would it have been too disrespectful to be discussing a team’s performance in this time of national mourning.

Not sure who was on commentary but it got really annoying when he kept finding ways to mention the Queen every 5mins. At half time he even described it as an understandably subdued performance from Utd.  I didn’t stick around at the full time whistle to see if he blamed the result on the players being too upset to play.

They did proper analysis for the Arsenal game but that was in the studio. All of them were in black for it. Also think the announcement came while they were playing and it was an away game anyway.

It was Darke & Savage on Comms. Savage barely said anything at all.

I think, they'd planned to have the coverage of the game from Old Trafford either pitchside or the box, but this then threw that through a loop. So they just went with how they went.

@themadsheep2001 will probably be able to explain better what actually happened and maybe give an insight if he's allowed to.

5 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Last Night of the Proms cancelled, see again surely this would have been an opportunity for a lot of people of that age and persuasion to have an outpouring of love and respect and a good sing along.

99% of you peasants wouldn’t care one way or the other though :D

Christ, can you imagine that lot all singing God Save the Queen one last time before then bursting out into God Save the King then rounding it all off with Land of Hope and Glory?

It'd be so euphoric for them they'd probably never do anything else again in their lives.

3 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

They did proper analysis for the Arsenal game but that was in the studio. All of them were in black for it. Also think the announcement came while they were playing and it was an away game anyway.

I think, they'd planned to have the coverage of the game from Old Trafford either pitchside or the box, but this then threw that through a loop. So they just went with how they went.

@themadsheep2001 will probably be able to explain better what actually happened and maybe give an insight if he's allowed to.

They also had analysis for the West Ham game at the same time with a suitablely somber looking Joe Cole providing his insights. It was just the United game which is a bit odd.

Edited by Peterj

Don't mind the sombre music personally. On Absolute, they've already played Adele (Hometown Glory), Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here), The Beatles (Let It Be), and are now on Neil Young (Heart of Gold). All quality songs.

Just as long as I don't have to hear Freya Ridings' Lost Without You every hour, I'll be fine. :D

5 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

That's pretty much correct. We're given a protocol to follow in circumstances like this, there's 4 different categories, leading Monarch is Cat A, Prime minister is Cat B etc. If we haven't gone to air then it's minimal build up and presentation, if we have gone to air already we minimise breaks etc. The announcement came before United hence the minimal coverage. We're still not sure what is happening today and across the weekend 

24 minutes ago, VP. said:

My thoughts exactly, last thing anyone needs is what they're currently doing.

Just switched over to Heart Essex (which is awful enough as it is), but I was pleasantly surprised and felt very reasured to hear both Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden tell me that they're 'here for us all this morning'. What the actual ****!

I didn't think I be upset about the Queen but when she passes away I think of my mum as she's 89 and I'm sure many others think of their families when hear news like this 

I think yes she had money etc but life isn't all about money. She travelled the world didn't see grandchildren and other family members deliver their children or spend much time with them and travelled alone with Prince Philip. 

It is sad but come on we are here for you but every other day when so many die from suicide, cost of living crises etc just put radio on life goes on we will cheer you up with some happy tunes. Queen dies we will put most saddest songs on radio and make it depressing for next 10 days 

I rather hear nice stories like what she did for charities, the sorry about an American not knowing who she was etc that make me smile 

3 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Don't mind the sombre music personally. On Absolute, they've already played Adele (Hometown Glory), Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here), The Beatles (Let It Be), and are now on Neil Young (Heart of Gold). All quality songs.

Just as long as I don't have to hear Freya Ridings' Lost Without You every hour, I'll be fine. :D

Same. I quite like miserable music :D :D My mum used to say can’t you listen to something a bit more uplifting when I was a teen many decades ago.

28 minutes ago, VP. said:

Last 3 songs -

Sam Smith - Stay With Me

Bangles - Eternal Flame

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply

No don't get me wrong I love music and these are all great songs but not when they're played one after the other. 

100% agree. No problem with the slow sad music but at least curate it.

Still, we're not too far away from the algorithm playing Disturbed's version of "Sound of Silence" or The Verve's "The Drugs Don't Work"

18 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Some of the songs have been great 

27 minutes ago, CFuller said:

They just played a Dream Academy song (ironically, a cover of Please Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths). That's the kind of stuff you don't always hear on the radio.

3 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Historical event happened. Its going to be plastered everywhere

Christmas is right to point out that it's ****ing daft.

I expect sport to be on a sports page. If I need general news I go on the actual BBC news site.

It's performative nonsense.

Edited by ginnybob

Guys regarding the football being cancelled this is just my theory not seen others mention it

Do you think it's out of respect or do you think there will be a minutes silence some will observe it some won't which could cause crowd unrest and trouble? If want show respect can observe minute or two minute silence can't think of any other reason why should cancel football 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Historical event happened. Its going to be plastered everywhere

If there’s vaguely related stuff I get it, or possibly the top story. 
But it’s every story. 

And that’s not good, because it allows for important news and info to fly under the radar. Perfect time to bury bad news. 

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

So how has the queen impacted everyone's work so far. We're chosen to not do any outbound/unprompted activity today so a bit of a kicker to the business.

We had an email saying that the usual internal and external emails about the services etc will be paused for 10 days and any of the business that deals with the government and military will be advised on what processes to follow. But for the rest of us, it is pretty much BAU

3 minutes ago, Bootador said:

So how has the queen impacted everyone's work so far.

I put the green bags out and walked the dog. She still shat in the same place and spent ages sniffing other dogs arses. 

So pretty minimal impact so far

Semi seriously though, I do feel strangely sad, and can't help thinking how upset my mum would be if she was still alive 

5 minutes ago, Bootador said:

So how has the queen impacted everyone's work so far. We're chosen to not do any outbound/unprompted activity today so a bit of a kicker to the business.

Our CEO posted on Yammer and then ended the post by saying that even those of us that aren't royalists could perhaps say something kind about an old lady...

1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

It'll all be off without guidance. No one will want to be branded insensitive by playing

It's an awful situation, as they'll all want to play because of the insane congestion but will feel they can't. PL have no balls to make any decisions, just make the calls for the clubs ffs so everyone at the clubs can get on with their day jobs

More related consequences - all barristers who are QCs, immediately become KCs, all police (and other services) force badges with EIIR insignia will need to be changed, post boxes, currency, passports and stamps changes will be phased - Charles will face the opposite direction on the coins in accordance with tradition.

1 minute ago, Sons FC said:

More related consequences - all barristers who are QCs, immediately become KCs, all police (and other services) force badges with EIIR insignia will need to be changed, post boxes, currency, passports and stamps changes will be phased - Charles will face the opposite direction on the coins in accordance with tradition.

Minefield

If we bin off the monarchy now then at least we could stop this needing to happen in the future.

9 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

In a 'normal' world, it would probably make sense to postpone these fixtures and other events.

Post CV19, where businesses and individuals are already struggling, then I say keep these events on and allow people to experience this unusual moment together. I doubt many will be grieving per se but the idea of hundreds of thousands of people attending events and observing silences together seems more respectful to me than sitting by themselves in the house watching Nicholas Witchell patronise them.

apart from "tradition" which is 100/150 years or more old, somehow I can't see The Queen not wanting radio stations to play normal music or people not being able to watch sports when she's passed on

from a personal point of view when I've gone through mourning in my life, I've generally looked for something to turn my attention to so I don't have to think about it.  Surely sports/music and other things are that rather than keeping them away from people

Clubs making their own minds up :D

That's the worst of all worlds surely.  Authorities won't come out and say "don't play", but clubs will choose not to play because they don't want people tearing into them on Twitter and calling them insensitive.  And then when nobody plays and people moan and fixtures get behind, authorities turn round and say "Well we didnt force you to stop!"

At least someone take responsbility ffs.

Just now, TM said:

apart from "tradition" which is 100/150 years or more old, somehow I can't see The Queen not wanting radio stations to play normal music or people not being able to watch sports when she's passed on

from a personal point of view when I've gone through mourning in my life, I've generally looked for something to turn my attention to so I don't have to think about it.  Surely sports/music and other things are that rather than keeping them away from people

The country is already in a depressing state. People up and down the country will have spent money on plans to go to the football this weekend. We're playing in Plymouth ffs. It's not something you can necessarily just rearrange and not be out of pocket. Stupid.

12 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Yeah, government stuff being paused for 10 days I'd heard about as well.

But very few other things will be. Hospitals will remain open, doctors and dentists will still see patients, supermarkets won't run 'bank holiday/Sunday' hours but will remain open as normal, offices will carry on, building sites won't turn people away.

The VAST majority of us will carry on as normal whilst government functions performatively weep and rend their clothes and newspapers desperately search for things to get offended by, and it will be another nail in the coffin of the monarchy.

As insensitive as this might sound, if the football, and most other sports, gets cancelled this weekend, I will be very miserable. I get we should be mourning the passing of the Monarch, but she was a beloved Queen(mostly) and so we should celebrate her life and not wallow. 

Football packed with fans belting out GStQ and/or GStK will be surreal and once in a lifetime event for some folks.