Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

1 minute ago, av3ry said:

And Chelsea thought they moved quickly to get a new manager!

Looks like we find out tomorrow if the football is on this weekend. I hope it is because if not it will turn into a Tuesday Night game and I cannot get back from Plymouth on Tuesday Nights.

CL teams, and I assume Europa, don't even have a slot to fit a midweek game in I don't think. Would have to be in the new year. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

Have they announced whether all you can eat breakfast places won't be opening? I'm going to one on Saturday but I don't know if a triple sausage, triple bacon sandwich is disrespectful.

I was possibly scoffing a double quarter pounder with cheese at the end. My own little tribute, RIP ma'am we'll never see your like again :kriss:

2 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Looks like we find out tomorrow if the football is on this weekend. I hope it is because if not it will turn into a Tuesday Night game and I cannot get back from Plymouth on Tuesday Nights.

I don't think they should cancel sport. Have a mark of respect but it's not all Brits playing.

If I were Liz i wouldn't want the country grinding to a halt.

4 minutes ago, anagain said:

What rankles me is people like this act like they're better and higher than those they oppose. To write that shows different.

Isn't the saying "be the better person"?

Like I said, I'm a joker with opinions but I think I treat people right. Yeah, my opinions on some subjects have been criticised because I'm maybe careless.

But you are right about attention and I am careful.

You don't know the woman's history. You do not know her families history. If you disagree with her, just move on. It's that easy. 

What happened under the guise of empire was abhorrent and many people suffered. There's plenty of people on twitter I can see that do not hold the same reverence as we would. They're allowed to view her in that light.

That doesn't mean that you or I have to view the Queen differently.

3 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

What can you do? Not work. 

Get paid double time if she'd held on until October it'd be in my Xmas wages, we do need to spread out our bank holidays there are too many in Spring, not enough in Summer and a big gap between August and December. If Charles' Coronation is in a month or more it will also be a bank holiday which is where it's needed most, possibly November 5TH or Oct 31st.

5 minutes ago, av3ry said:

That news has been completely buried. Said in the other thread there'll be people going to their next game with no idea why Potter is in the dugout.

1 minute ago, vikeologist said:

As I'm genuinely curious, is the confirmation he's going to be King Charles III just the Truss statement? because when she said it, I thought she may have just assumed.

Nah, Huw Edwards has confirmed it from a palace statement apparently.

5 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Get paid double time if she'd held on until October it'd be in my Xmas wages, we do need to spread out our bank holidays there are too many in Spring, not enough in Summer and a big gap between August and December. If Charles' Coronation is in a month or more it will also be a bank holiday which is where it's needed most, possibly November 5TH or Oct 31st.

Should have a holiday for both. The more the better. 

1 minute ago, vikeologist said:

As I'm genuinely curious, is the confirmation he's going to be King Charles III just the Truss statement? because when she said it, I thought she may have just assumed.

All the official Palace statements have avoided stating this.

I think it's just Truss completely ignoring protocol like a proper tory and speaking out of line before Charles himself has had a chance to decide.

3 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

What else could he be? Can the King just Pope himself a new name? 

Edited by InigoPatinkin

3 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Clarence House have confirmed it

Just now, sc91 said:

Even as someone staunchly in the Republic camp and anti-monarchy, I've held my tongue and so should you. Give it a day off.

Indeed... strong advocate for independency here... but frankly, it's vile to even think commenting like that is appropriate... someones mother and grandmother has died

6 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

4 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

I think it's just Truss completely ignoring protocol like a proper tory and speaking out of line before Charles himself has had a chance to decide.

I thought it was maybe just Truss assuming and being an idiot, but also wondered if more likely, she had been briefed.

Then shortly after, there was the official statement confirming it.

9 minutes ago, anagain said:

I don't think they should cancel sport. Have a mark of respect but it's not all Brits playing.

If I were Liz i wouldn't want the country grinding to a halt.

Might be worth booking a day trip to France or Ireland for a football fix, they won't cancel any

1 minute ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Might be worth booking a day trip to France or Ireland for a football fix, they won't cancel any

Back end of Irish season, well worth a trip over for those who want to try, the atmospheres can be great. 

4 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Even as someone staunchly in the Republic camp and anti-monarchy, I've held my tongue and so should you. Give it a day off.

Ditto. Plenty of time to call for abolishing the monarchy, this isn't one of them. Get rid of the tories first as a priority.

Just now, sc91 said:

I chosen to say it today because today it is relevant. Why do I need to 'give it a day off', not as if I go round banging on about my anti-monarchy sentiment every day of the week.

Don't get the big deal. An old woman died. That's all she is to me.

5 minutes ago, Jason the Yank said:

Should go with Charles IV for the lulz

Well, being blunt, he's not really the third Charles to be King of Scotland, so yes, in fact he is Charles IV of Scotland. #Jacobites

(Bonnie) Charles Edward Stuart was King of England as well in reality.

Image result for bonnie prince charlie

Edited by vikeologist

3 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Indeed... strong advocate for independency here... but frankly, it's vile to even think commenting like that is appropriate... someones mother and grandmother has died

Yeah, this thread, on a largely British forum is clearly the wrong place for that kind of sentiment.

There'll be other places where you can go to air those views and if you wish to, that's where you should head at times like this really.

1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Cancelling the weekend games would be dumb. Would be the biggest places of mourning etc in the country, great chance to show respect etc on TV and distract the nation from mourning and the shock of it. 

Agreed, for people for whom its important and I think going to a game and having the minutes silence would be a good thing. 

1 minute ago, anagain said:

Huw Edwards being slammed for wearing a black tie before she died...because that's the big thing here.

They'll always find something to complain about. If Meghan went she'd be criticised, and she'll be criticised cos she didn't. If Edwards waited until the announcement was official to wear black he'd be slammed for not treating it seriously enough.

Just now, Celtic_1967 said:

I chosen to say it today because today it is relevant. Why do I need to 'give it a day off', not as if I go round banging on about my anti-monarchy sentiment every day of the week.

Don't get the big deal. An old woman died. That's all she is to me.

You are banging on about your sentiment on the day someone has died, so yes, you are literally choosing this moment, that's low regardless of the individual. 

Embarrassing, just say nothing, it shows far more than opening your mouth at this point.