Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

apart from the breaking news ticker which is normally always red (but will change when a death is announced), all the BBC graphics seem to be black for when they are mentioning correspondents

I think we are all waiting for the pause and then "this is BBC News from London" from Huw

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, TM said:

apart from the breaking news ticker which is normally always red (but will change when a death is announced), all the BBC graphics seem to be black for when they are mentioning correspondents

I think we are all waiting for the pause and then "this is BBC News from London" from Huw

The guardian are reporting he's wearing his 'death' outfit too. Insanely awkward if he does that for nothing. 

3 minutes ago, leftback in the changing room said:

On the BBC News Online live feed, even the person doing the sign language interpretation is wearing all black. Attention to detail...

They've had three different ones I think and they all have been in full black

8 minutes ago, TM said:

They're also not showing Huw too much which gives him a chance to change his tie or whatever before the formal announcement.

21 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Imagine cancelling games because a nearly 100 years old person dies peacefully, while teams from war-torn countries with mass casualties every day keep playing.

I'm in favour of carrying on, But its a head of state and all other countries would do the same if their head of state died while in office 

Just now, oche balboa said:

I'm in favour of carrying on, But its a head of state and all other countries would do the same if their head of state died while in office 

But she's not head of the state, is she? Just a token function now.

And I don't know any 90+ year olds in charge of any European country.

Just now, Gizmo7 said:

This doesn’t really feel like a “remember exactly where you were when you found out” moment, does it? 

Because there’s been too much a gradual build up I think. There’s no real shock moment 

1 minute ago, Gizmo7 said:

This doesn’t really feel like a “remember exactly where you were when you found out” moment, does it? 

Maybe twenty mins ago. I'm over it now. 

Loads of much better people die every day

Misread - didn my see the does'nt'

Edited by Christmas

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

But she's not head of the state, is she? Just a token function now.

And I don't know any 90+ year olds in charge of any European country.

She is head of state.  Yes, her role is largely ceremonial now but she is still officially head of state for the UK and the entire Commonwealth.

3 minutes ago, Gizmo7 said:

My thinking is because none of it is immediate. With rolling news etc, it takes away so much of the "Where were you" type moments now as things go on for hours at a time

1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

The coffin would have been in Balmoral for years, this is just the hangers-on they're flying up

Assume she just has one coffin already made and not a whole host of them at all her different houses? Then again, when she moved to Balmoral permanently I imagine they'll have moved it there.

Pam and Kim from Australia have shared their thoughts and prayers with the BBC:

Pam Fleming and Kim Tierney from Australia were on a tour of the building (Buckingham Palace) when they heard the news.

Pam told me crying that: "She's the only Queen we've had. All of my life. She's such a lovely lady. It's such a shock." They added they were both thinking of the Queen's family at this time.

3 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

My thinking is because none of it is immediate. With rolling news etc, it takes away so much of the "Where were you" type moments now as things go on for hours at a time

I still remember exactly where I was when I heard about 9/11

1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Right.... we're rid of Boris at last.....

Who's next...... OMG!!! My heart!!!

I think the Queen took the chance to ask what Liz was going to do about the energy prices, then realised how much it was going to cost to heat Balmoral...

The conspiracy theorists are already out in force - saw on Twitter someone say that anti-monarchist Liz Truss shook her hand and poisoned her yesterday or “slipped something in her tea”. 

Could be trolling in fairness, I can never tell these days.

Just now, Haguey said:

Royalist or not, absolutely no Brits on this forum, not even SCR, has been through this before.

Token and powerless or not it feels pretty seismic and fascinating doesn't it.

About 70% of the world has never been though this before.