*Official* Football Manager 2022 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

5 hours ago, DB Wit said:

A tip for those like me who have complained about the excessive crossing and lack of central play.

This doesn't fix the issue but it makes highlights a bit more digestible. I hadn't noticed yet but they added an instruction to cross less often, applying it does seem to decrease the amount of crosses that I've been seeing in highlights. The players will still prioritize running/passing to wide areas but, seeing as they aren't supposed to cross, they usually pass it to someone else and a play can "kinda" develop from those wide areas.

As I've said, it's not a cure all and doesn't fix the issue, but it makes matches a tad more enjoyable so if you're like me and are enjoying you're Beta save but struggling to keep up do to those issues, I recommend putting that instruction on your wide offensive midfielders, give it a try.

Another thing you can try is adding the "dribble more" PI to capable midfielders, this has helped me get things happening in the middle in my 433 and they still seem to pass intelligently and not give up too much possession.

Edited by mannyhams

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, prot651 said:

FM17 had the best turf , crowds and Stadiums.  From memory I think they sourced that part of the game out and it changed in FM18 for the worse

Yeah thats what i heard, and the newgens were pretty decent too, they also took a few steps back, although last years were a slight improvement

I don't know where to post this. I guess it is related to the beta, but it's been like that for as long as I've been playing CM/FM.

Is it normal that you struggle so much to receive offers when you offer the player to other clubs, the player is a star, and many clubs reportedly want him?

With Dortmund, I tested something. I offered Erling Haaland (64 appearances, 55 goals, 11 assists) to clubs. Nothing specific in the offer, not asking for anything in particular, opened to any negociation. I know big clubs are on him ("Paris-SG have reportedly made Haaland their primary target", "Interest in Haaland is said to be high, with Chelsea, Man City, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid among the clubs rumored to be looking at the player", all have a "major interest" in him), and he wants to leave for a bigger club.

Yet no one makes an offer (even before I offered him, never received a single offer).
I've seen him getting transfered from AI to AI for 130M€ or numbers like that. But when he plays for the club you control, nobody even wants to bid on him when you tell them "ok, we might be looking to sell, tell us what you would give us for him".

His contract is expiring in 18 months, nobody wants to bid on him. Am I really condemned to lose him on free transfer or for a ridiculous fee this summer (like 30-40M) just because the game decides that the FM player shouldn't receive offers for his players?

I mean, it's not new, I've been experiencing that in all FMs, but this is a great example, and also I'm just fed up of the game being like that. It's frustrating.

Edited by Fettucine_Alfredo

6 minutes ago, Fettucine_Alfredo said:

I don't know where to post this. I guess it is related to the beta, but it's been like that for as long as I've been playing CM/FM.

Is it normal that you struggle so much to receive offers when you offer the player to other clubs, the player is a star, and many clubs reportedly want him?

With Dortmund, I tested something. I offered Erling Haaland (64 appearances, 55 goals, 11 assists) to clubs. Nothing specific in the offer, not asking for anything in particular, opened to any negociation. I know big clubs are on him ("Paris-SG have reportedly made Haaland their primary target", "Interest in Haaland is said to be high, with Chelsea, Man City, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid among the clubs rumored to be looking at the player", all have a "major interest" in him), and he wants to leave for a bigger club.

Yet no one makes an offer (even before I offered him, never received a single offer).
I've seen him getting transfered from AI to AI for 130M€ or numbers like that. But when he plays for the club you control, nobody even wants to bid on him when you tell them "ok, we might be looking to sell, tell us what you would give us for him".

His contract is expiring in 18 months, nobody wants to bid on him. Am I really condemned to lose him on free transfer or for a ridiculous fee this summer (like 30-40M) just because the game decides that the FM player shouldn't receive offers for his players?

I mean, it's not new, I've been experiencing that in all FMs, but this is a great example, and also I'm just fed up of the game being like that. It's frustrating.

When you offer to clubs, you are telling teams that you don't want the player. Since he's expiring they probably think they can get him on a free. Just let them come to you if there is interest. AI typically don't bid on players with high asking price that are offered to them.

1 minute ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

When you offer to clubs, you are telling teams that you don't want the player. Since he's expiring they probably think they can get him on a free. Just let them come to you if there is interest.

Been doing that for 18 months. Not a single offer. Never. Huge interest, after every single game I receive messages about them wanting him.
And his contract is expiring in 18 months, it's not plausible that clubs would rather wait 18 months when the guy is clearly offered to them and he wants to leave. Clubs would jump on the opportunity to sign him. Maybe for 100M instead of 150M, but still.

3 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

Yeah thats what i heard, and the newgens were pretty decent too, they also took a few steps back, although last years were a slight improvement

Graphically (UI + 3D) FM17 was the best...

But than came the switch to the new 3D engine and the purple era and we went from very good to very bad... now we are slowly getting to a decent level again as they improve year over year.

14 hours ago, FM1000 said:

A big issue in the ME is the weak correlation between attributes and actions performed in the ME......

It looks like the attributes don't matter at all, center backs with 8 passing and vision have more completed passes than prime Xavi.....

Short attackers with no jumping or heading skill scoring headers like they are Peter Crouch, and yet when they shoot with their feet they only shoot straight at the keeper....

FM 2018 is the last version of the ME were you could correctly guess a player attributes by watching the ME..

People blame lack of central play and bad pressing which is true, but the core issue is that attributes don't translate well into the ME.

Yep. Been an understated problem for years

59 minutes ago, Reflection86 said:

My centre back is Bundesliga top scorer in January with 20 goals from 17 starts! Madness haha. I miss FM21, this match engine needs a lot of work!

Good lord, that is insane. :eek:

Please do report it to SI, surely that's not right. In a competitive league, anything above 5 goals would be crazy good for a CB, let alone 20.

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2022-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

Six months into my first save, not going to say anything that hasn't already been said on here - loving the game. But the one thing that has made my year is the manager profile picture is back! Hate those computer generated avatars :lol:

Keep up the good work SI.

13 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

New gens looked ok before FM17

Some updates have occurred since, the jury is out on whther its better but perhaps they were too samey then. I think we had the baldies after that

4 hours ago, Fettucine_Alfredo said:

Been doing that for 18 months. Not a single offer. Never. Huge interest, after every single game I receive messages about them wanting him.
And his contract is expiring in 18 months, it's not plausible that clubs would rather wait 18 months when the guy is clearly offered to them and he wants to leave. Clubs would jump on the opportunity to sign him. Maybe for 100M instead of 150M, but still.

When you transfer list a player, you are telling other clubs that you do not want the player to stay. There is no reason for them to bid for the player since they can just wait out his current contract and sign him for a free. If they are truly interested in the player, they will make an offer regardless of what happens. 

I really want to get into this game, but some things are just not working well at the moment and although we're only in beta - my worry is that it' going to take a few patches to make things right.

I won't bang on about the ME (as it's already been covered) but the amount of wing play, crosses and headers (regardless of team instructions) is starting to make each match feel the same. I have noticed some good central play - just not enough of it. For me, it seems the match engine has taken one step forward and two steps back. I'm also disappointed to see that the match sounds still haven't been improved and the stadiums have been overlooked yet again. 

My overall impression is that I'm playing FM21 with the FM20 match engine. The headline features (apart from the wide dc) mainly appear to be stuff that was already in the game - only repackaged.

9 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

I really want to get into this game, but some things are just not working well at the moment and although we're only in beta - my worry is that it' going to take a few patches to make things right.

I won't bang on about the ME (as it's already been covered) but the amount of wing play, crosses and headers (regardless of team instructions) is starting to make each match feel the same. I have noticed some good central play - just not enough of it. For me, it seems the match engine has taken one step forward and two steps back. I'm also disappointed to see that the match sounds still haven't been improved and the stadiums have been overlooked yet again. 

My overall impression is that I'm playing FM21 with the FM20 match engine. The headline features (apart from the wide dc) mainly appear to be stuff that was already in the game - only repackaged.

Match sounds - Been this way for a very long time. In the grand scale of things its likely low priority

Stadiums - Pretty sure the burger vans / picnic tables have gone or reduced. There are copyrights for stadium representation

In fairness these are low level items. There are lot of changes if you look including new mo-cap animations. ME is improved but does have a few elements that may need tweaking. As always if you spot issues get them logged

21 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Can someone please explain this screen to me? Are the dots supposed to represent the amount of influence in that area? And why are some in different colour?

Each dot represents a position / player and their influenced on that square. Lots of red dots means bad. This means that there aren't many players covering that area. It is just informational for you to be aware. If you set up your fullback on attack, automatically his own box has a red dot because he focuses more forward. If you chose the role and duty on purpose like that, then you are aware that he won't cover that well. If you need to see out a game and you're leading, maybe switch the duty to support or defend and that square would have another green dot. 

2 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

Stadiums - Pretty sure the burger vans / picnic tables have gone or reduced. There are copyrights for stadium representation

This isn't about wanting accurate representations. Besides, if you look at some of the grounds in FM they are similar to their real life counter-parts (e.g. look at Old Trafford or Celtic Park in FM) so that kind of torpedoes the copyright argument.

The problems are in the design and scale. Lower league grounds with a 3k capacity still look like 15k stadiums. Non league grounds still have massive TV screens in the corner. There's hardly any stadia variation, everyone wears replica shirts - I could go on and on. I'm not expecting wholesale changes - but some incremental improvements would be nice. 

As for the match sounds being a low priority, why? Surely, it's an important part of the match day experience and it hasn't been looked at in years. It's the same sound whether you're at the San Siro or Gigg Lane.   

Pretty sure the stadium copyrights are fact, maybe some are excluded then

Stadiums - Yep, Ive seen a few comments. Could you raise a bug with some extreme examples?

Sounds - Yep I do agree to an extent and about 5 years ago I raised a feature request on sound improvements that quite a few people contributed onto. If we had new ones would the sound become boring if they remain repetitive? However it could be argued if it was ME enhancements or sound enhancements which would win. Im sure they have a large "improvers" list and comes down priorities and time to do it with resources they have

I do have to agree with the stadiums comment. I do think it's time a stand alone stadium editor (or a full integration in the FM Editor) was made for the game. Maybe a good feature for FM23?

Also concur with the match sounds although I do admit I never really have match sounds on so it's not game breaking for me. However I don't know how match sounds work in regards to copyright so I'm not going to act like I do. But if FM has licenses to a few leagues and specific teams (Watford, Leicester, Wimbledon etc) surely match sounds could be recorded from live games and be mastered into sound bites?

In-game commentary would be immense but I feel you'd have to get a big name to actually "sell" it. If this idea comes across Miles' desk, for the love of god, do not get Jenas or McManaman to do it :D 

Edited by Justified

17 hours ago, FM1000 said:

It looks like the attributes don't matter at all, center backs with 8 passing and vision have more completed passes than prime Xavi....

While I agree that passing the ball between them is an issue we also need to put context, the are getting high pass % because they are passing the ball to themselves with no risk. If you look at any team that plays from the back and the centre backs or defensive midfielders don’t try long balls, you’ll find out that they have the better pass % compared to your playmakers that have to try difficult passes.

I said all that to clarify that the issue is not that they complete over 90% of their passes but the fact that with the new pressing system the other team doesn’t close them down so they are comfortable just passing it between themselves. I’m pretty sure if we had the old pressing system, they would be forced to boot the ball upfield when under pressure 

1 minute ago, MrPompey said:

For those mentioning the end of season FM pass completion % stats perhaps being over dominated by defenders has anyone checked the current premiership pass completion % top 20. Its also dominated by defenders:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_pass

That’s exactly what I talked about in my last post

I honestly don’t know why sound is even included anymore. I haven’t noticed any marked difference to it in 20+ years. I sleepwalk to turning it off as soon as the game is installed. Is such a shame as good audio would obviously increase immersion. As it stands now (and always) it has the opposite effect. There’s a reason stadiums “pumped” crowd noises into empty grounds last season.

I mention this every year, but it’s getting boring. I’m starting to feel like Tim Robbins in “The Shawshank Redemption”. Maybe one year we’ll get some books!

20 minutes ago, Justified said:

I do have to agree with the stadiums comment. I do think it's time a stand alone stadium editor (or a full integration in the FM Editor) was made for the game. Maybe a good feature for FM23?

Also concur with the match sounds although I do admit I never really have match sounds on so it's not game breaking for me. However I don't know how match sounds work in regards to copyright so I'm not going to act like I do. But if FM has licenses to a few leagues and specific teams (Watford, Leicester, Wimbledon etc) surely match sounds could be recorded from live games and be mastered into sound bites?

In-game commentary would be immense but I feel you'd have to get a big name to actually "sell" it. If this idea comes across Miles' desk, for the love of god, do not get Jenas or McManaman to do it :D 

Championship Manager 2, 95/96 I think had  Clive Tyldesley doing commentary before the 3d game :)

Phil Neville would be cheap :)

28 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

I honestly don’t know why sound is even included anymore. I haven’t noticed any marked difference to it in 20+ years. I sleepwalk to turning it off as soon as the game is installed. Is such a shame as good audio would obviously increase immersion. As it stands now (and always) it has the opposite effect. There’s a reason stadiums “pumped” crowd noises into empty grounds last season.

I mention this every year, but it’s getting boring. I’m starting to feel like Tim Robbins in “The Shawshank Redemption”. Maybe one year we’ll get some books!

The first thing I do as soon as the first match starts, hear the awful ball kicking audio instantly turn sound off.

1 hour ago, Platinum said:

On the 9th November will the full game update be released at 12am or later on in the day?

SI will not usually announce a specific time and I don't think that this policy will change this year.  You will just need to watch the forum for news

16 minutes ago, .Supersonic said:

I want to show again the 2D camera angle that gets worse every year. FM17 vs. FM22, exactly 5 years in between. The graphics were supposed to be better, but it's regressed...

Which football player has the ball in FM22 image, let's get the answers?

fm17_2Dvs_fm22_2D.thumb.png.bd664a06965b412ea5f0335db881e254.png

That blurry mess on the left is worse, you are suffering confirmation bias.

Everyone and their bad uncle knows there is a bug with the ball visuals, that will be fixed.

12 dakika önce, callamity said:

That blurry mess on the left is worse, you are suffering confirmation bias.

Everyone and their bad uncle knows there is a bug with the ball visuals, that will be fixed.

The reason for the blur in the FM17 image is that it is a SS taken from an old video. The FM22 SS was taken directly from the game.

The obvious differences are: Goalposts, stands, field lines and shading...

Edited by .Supersonic

6 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Pass completion percentages are still way off.

Last year's Premier League stats: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/8228/Stages/18685/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021

John Stones, Ruben Dias and Thiago Silva with 93% and then there's a bunch of midfielders. In the FM22 screenshot provided earlier in this thread, there's 15 Championship CBs with 97%+ pass completion.

You may not be wrong but to make a point you need to compare it to real life...say over a few seasons. This will help make the point more relative, If it helps I have run a soak and the Championship top 20 is ALL defenders. However to understand how far off it is we need to get the real life stats to compare against

46 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

The first thing I do as soon as the first match starts, hear the awful ball kicking audio instantly turn sound off.

That thud every time the ball is passed. It's like the sound of someone kicking a bag of cement!

1 hour ago, MrPompey said:

Championship Manager 2, 95/96 I think had  Clive Tyldesley doing commentary before the 3d game :)

Yup, that's right.

Tbh if they decided to do it then obviously the problem they'll run into is game speed because the sound bites will overlap each other on higher speeds. However the way around that would be if you play on higher speeds then comms should be disabled automatically and only match sounds would be on.

48 minutes ago, .Supersonic said:

The reason for the blur in the FM17 image is that it is a SS taken from an old video. The FM22 SS was taken directly from the game.

The obvious differences are: Goalposts, stands, field lines and shading...

Ah so you dont want 2D

You want 3D top down view

6 months into my first season and i've yet to see a team finish with less than a 90% pass completion ratio( pcr) against me. i have 2 tactics, a tika-taka possesion and a gegenpress high intensity tactic. makes no difference which one i choose, the opposition be that athletico madrid, man city, burnley or blackburn rovers always finish with 90% +. I decided to look around the leagues. every one has a spread between 92%-86% be that league 2 or la liga. every one. approx. 140 teams with the lowest at 86%. that's scunthorpe united playing like man city. no long ball, no route 1, just every team attempting to play like city. my u-18s team have a league high 92% pcr with an average passing attribute of 10, technique of 10 and vision of 9. that's higher than the 1st team but not as high as sporting lisbon's competition high of 94% in the champion's league. in-fact, nicolas ottamendi at benfica has completed over 1000 succesful passes and misplaced 3( yes, three!) i played a champion league game against dinamo zagreb where they finished with 95% pcr against my own 91%. even though i was playing with a much higher line of engagement and much higher defensive line with 3 pressing forwards and 3 ball-winning midfielders. these examples arent outliers, they are replicated throughout my save. I'm bamboozled, i'm almost at the point where i'm left to assume that player attributes and team tactics have no influence on the game and are mere window dressing for a very very rudimentary algorithm.

just done a quick rummage around for the actual irl figures and in the football league, wycome wanderers come in with a league low of 57.4% and man city with a leagues high of 88.8% the next highest is Chelsea whose 86% is equal too or bettered by every single team i can see in my save. that's burnley, wycome, every u-18 and u23 team, every league 2 team, every team in the champions league( including qualifiers). literally every team in my save are out tika-taki'ing guardiola/ barcelona and NOTHING i do seems to make any difference.

I now know the figures are, primarily, being skewed by centre-half -- full-back  --  def mid triangles making large numbers of passes between themselves whilst the opposing teams apply no pressure. You can drive this down by man-marking but that generates is own problems where players ignore the ball 2 yards in front of them to run 50 yards to mark their man on occassion.

Edited by buddiemirren
update

11 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

I agree they mostly dont, in fact i think they have taken a backwards step from previous years. Would be much better if we had a stadium editor or more attention to detail on it. Personally i wouldnt remove them from my 3D mode regardless

definitely not IMO.  I hate stuff like that.  Its why i never touch create-a-club modes either... they just do nothing for me.   But each to their own

The "debatable decisions" was that one goal was a tight onside call where VAR confirmed it was onside by about a foot.
Where is the option to say "The refereeing in this game was fine."? None of these options are what I want to say.

It feels like every time that a goal is allowed/disllowed for onside/offside the journalists in the game are programmed to bring up "cOnTrOvErSiAl ReFeReEiNg DeCiSiOnS".

edit: And if I choose the "Wag finger" gesture (the popup hint says "as if to belittle" - belittle whom? The journalist? The players? The referee? The opposition? The fans?) I can only choose "Negative" dialogue options, which basically makes it pointless. Why? "Shake head" locks out the "Positive" dialogue options as well; why should that be the case if I want to disagree with the journalist's leading question?

image.png.64b6ff9c4656ba1f725e89f4ce4cd0cf.png

Edited by autohoratio

4 hours ago, MrPompey said:

Some updates have occurred since, the jury is out on whther its better but perhaps they were too samey then. I think we had the baldies after that

There was a lot of baldies in FM16.  There is plenty of variety in FM14 even more so in FM12

6 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

So just me who is loving this version of the game then?

I'm honestly having one of the most enjoyable and immersive saves I've had since FM17 or FM18.

The ME is fine to me, the only really major issue is the amount of passes teams do at the back and the massively over inflated pass percentages that leads to.

We've finally gotten rid of loads of legacy problems. Crosses being next to useless, cutbacks being none existent, teams just being able to charge about for 90 minutes never breaking sweat, your own throw ins being the most dangerous thing imaginable (this has driven me insane for years)!

As for central play I see quite a bit of it and build up looks to me fairly realistic. With the ball being passed around and played in and through the centre if a ball is on, if not it goes wide or sideways or backwards even.

Transfer deadline is honestly one of the best features we've gotten in years. It genuinely has me excited for deadline day.

Yet people are out here saying this is unplayable, then they wonder why game companies increasingly don't engage with their fanbases.

My minds blown its like people have genuinely forgotten how rancid the ME was in FM19 and FM20, it didn't even look remotely like a game of football.

Same here. I think Fm22 is superior in almost every way to FM21. UI, Skin, ME, Game Speed, Save Time, Immersion with new dynamics...
I'm enjoying it a lot. I wasn't to keen on the new features, but SI proved me wrong.

And I agree that this year the only game-breaking bug is the unrealistic pass completion ratio and possession. That needs a fix ASAP.

2 hours ago, MrPompey said:

There was no 3D back then, but had real pictures of every ground,  Perhaps less copyright rules back then.

44 minutes ago, lukavski said:

Same here. I think Fm22 is superior in almost every way to FM21. UI, Skin, ME, Game Speed, Save Time, Immersion with new dynamics...

But the UI, especially anything relating to matches (reports, presentation etc) feels inferior to FM20...  (FM21 was the only game I didn't really play much of, just not in the mood for football games, not due to any critique towards the game itself)

Agreed on game speed and save time, those feel like when I play some of the much older games. 

I never use custom made skins, but this will probably be a year that I'll try it.