*Official* Football Manager 2022 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

49 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

It was like that before yesterday's update on my laptop.

Since than, UI has been very responsive for me.

Oh nice, thanks!

Just realised that when I last played (yesterday afternoon) I hadn't yet downloaded the update.

Will give it a go this morning and see how it performs.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my feedback after playing almost one season; I started with team from my home town (FC Arges, Romania Liga I) two times; first time I was sacked in February after a bad run. Now I am at the second save which is slightly better, I have board promise will give me one season.  That's a team I know very well from FM22, most of my saves were played with it and is realistic to set as objective mid table / top 6.

So the journey was bumpy ...

- One issue I encountered is playing 442 and generally standard defense/ lower line of engagement /counter with regroup; about the same with the other system I use, 433 DM; it simply does not work; I changed to a higher defensive line normal LoE it seem to work better but counters are rare and generally strikers go wide too much; in previous FM22 I managed to win championship with same team after 2-3 seasons (or Cup); now I struggle with the worst teams. It seems that only intense pressing works and other strategies like regroup and zonal marking aren't working; I don't have the team to press all time hence I don't want to play like that yet the ME seem to be biased toward pressing. 

- players' fatigue hit is too big, especially for a team involved only in a league and a cup like Liga I and Romanian Cup. I don't play a very demanding style, my tempo is usually normal, I don't gegenpress yet I need to rotate a lot on a 2 games/week schedule.

- possession have issues; I tried various PI for my CDs and they are keeping the ball too much and pass between them although my 2 CMs and 1 ST dropping deep are running around to receive the ball. They do this even when I change to 4-3-3 DM or set TI to play on flanks or distribute to FBs. 

- training messages about not developing with the certain personal training and training unhappiness seem to be exaggerated. I had that in the past but now I spend half of my time trying to find personal training and loads of message for staff meeting. I did spend a lot of time with FM21 trying to get the best training for all my players, even the hopeless ones but the amount of  effort I put it now into it is way off. I don't mind micromanaging just to be clear. I set the staff meeting to a month and is still annoying. Players unhappy because of training seem to influence more the mood of the team and their development; 

- IFs/IW don't work and this is a cause of my team issues; I have loads of IW/IFs in my team but W(S) or WM(S) seem to get into the box as often as wide players in AM strata; It is frustrating because some of my top players are IF/IWs and as a consequence they seem to underperform 

- counter attacks rarely happen although my team's both tactics are set for counter; strikers going wide, DLF(S) not actually holding ball ... 

- team morale: I had one bad match against a much worse team, lost it then I had a series of close contested matches against better teams (top in the league) which I lost; team morale dropped like a stone and it seems a lot harder to turn the tide compared with FM21. It might be just me being stubborn not to play with a lot of pressing...but when I employ that and go very attacking it I managed to turn 0-2 scored at half time in final results as 3-5 on commentary only; it seems easier to play with commentary only and score, I wonder if there is any difference between comprehensive highlights (my usual approach) and this. 

- CM roles (and I tried all except AP) are hardly noticeable, they all seem to play the same

This is for now;

On positives:

- 3D ME seem to be more varied

- wing play works much better, you can actually have much more intricate approaches on wings

12 hours ago, rdbayly said:
  • I'm starting to wonder if the new animation engine has had an unexpected knock-on effect for wide players (e.g. these grossly overly-represented pivots and turns appear to completely dumbfound full backs, but seldom occur anywhere else on the pitch). They are bombing countless laser-guided crosses on to to the foreheads of 5'8 forwards. 

• I have never scored and conceded more headers in a single season. It's a massive shame we had such a balanced ME last year and now the emphasis has shifted to around 90/10 in favour of crosses as the main staple of chance creation. Headers from corners are flat out broken, but the developers have acknowledged this in the Bugs forum.

• On a turnover of possession, central attacking players like the CM(a), instead of driving through the middle now drive to the corner flag

• Inverted wingers and inside forwards are simply not working as they should. They are not making sufficient out to in runs or cutting inside enough. They LOVE the corner flags

This is only the BETA so no point losing it. All I'll say is if this is what we end up with, there is a fantastic game called FM21 that I'll be updating the database for very soon.

Good luck with updating the database to match FM22 ;)

FM's current data statistics and data analysis system is getting better and better. As a gamer, I think it's very good, but it is suggested to introduce the item of dribbling success rate into the data statistics to make the game closer to reality and the gamer have a better sense of substitution

Edited by DhcSylar

Playing as Airdrieonians, starting in Scottish League One. After a fairytale League Cup win I noticed a big rise in reputation, so attendances and bank balance have both improved and made It into Championship. What I’m finding is that players available on free transfers and pre-contracts are trying to extort me for weekly wage, in some cases asking me for £3k a week, but then signing elsewhere for £500. I don’t know if this is a bug or goes hand in hand with reputation increase or what but it is thoroughly frustrating. 

Edited by kerrdavidson95
Addendum.

1 hour ago, thomas_e said:

Completely agree! The beta is an unpolished product and should be treated as such! 

I do see an over-emphasis on crosses, but it is not a game-breaking ME-bug for me as some people seem to describe it as. 

Agree, regarding the crosses its just great that the blocked crosses issue has been addressed from last year, and would think it just needs tweaking. As it is really enjoying the matches with the new animations, and also the little things like (imo) changes to ball physics as sure things like the way the ball deflects off players is more natural and varied, which in turn doesnt make certain situations feel repetitive.

14 hours ago, rdbayly said:
  • I'm starting to wonder if the new animation engine has had an unexpected knock-on effect for wide players (e.g. these grossly overly-represented pivots and turns appear to completely dumbfound full backs, but seldom occur anywhere else on the pitch). They are bombing countless laser-guided crosses on to to the foreheads of 5'8 forwards. 

• I have never scored and conceded more headers in a single season. It's a massive shame we had such a balanced ME last year and now the emphasis has shifted to around 90/10 in favour of crosses as the main staple of chance creation. Headers from corners are flat out broken, but the developers have acknowledged this in the Bugs forum.

• On a turnover of possession, central attacking players like the CM(a), instead of driving through the middle now drive to the corner flag

• Inverted wingers and inside forwards are simply not working as they should. They are not making sufficient out to in runs or cutting inside enough. They LOVE the corner flags

This is only the BETA so no point losing it. All I'll say is if this is what we end up with, there is a fantastic game called FM21 that I'll be updating the database for very soon.

Thing is it wasnt balanced last year- as wing play was utterly useless with the well known blocked crosses issue (particularly once you become a successful team and encounter p2p tactics). Agree that IW and IFs dont cut in, but just glad wide play has been addressed- it just needs toning down so it doesnt become too OP. One thing the wide play improvements help Im finding is that I can now use the entire pitch and with the F9 being on an attacking mentality now that role is a great option to pull around the opponents defence and open up space- and now a few more games in as my players get used to the tactics Im seeing some very nice combinations where the ball goes wide, and comes back in for my midfielders to finish.

image.png.5c452aa283238142dae5fac6d55a17e0.png

Cant remember last when I was having my centre mids scoring AND having my F9 being the main goalscoring threat:

image.png.ce434780b06790c01e29818852f6ea06.png

As you can see headers are far lower for attempts than shots too so there is influence we can have to reduce the amounts of crosses:

image.png.5e89a3a0cda996dba29f59ec9716306c.png

Well, I bought the game on Steam, tried it for an hour, and asked for a refund. I'll give the Switch version a go (hopefully it really is coming out, there has been absolutely no news about it?), but here are my issues with the full version:

- The popups at the beginning of the game have no buttons, the continue button is all the way up in the right corner; why?

- The first press conference was a mess, as usual: I forgot to add English as my second language/nationality, so they asked me how I will do without speaking English (in English, mind you), so fair enough; However, literally the next question was "You are a noted polyglot, do you think that will be useful?"; I'm not a noted polyglot, neither in real life or in the game, so I've no idea if that was a bug, but it broke immersion immediately

- Another question was if I was happy with the small transfer budget; how can they know I have a small transfer budget? The rest was just random dribble with journalists that has no impact on the game

- The press conference screen is still all over the place, the UI for that part is simply bad; it's hard to see the actual question, then there is the pointless body language thing, sooo many clicks for nothing

- The first team talk was even worse, I took over Man Utd (what, I can be at least as good at the wheel?), and I said I wanted us to challenge for the title, and quite a few players felt betrayed because they thought it was too much. Betrayed, seriously, betrayed? Huh? I toned down the expectations and said we can get out of the group in the Champions Leauge, and they were then disappointed for lack of ambition? Then I said we should aim to win that and the FA Cup and the betrayed ones agreed that yes, we can't challenge for the title, but we sure can win the Champions League and the FA Cup; again, so much clicking for nothing

- Then I had the first meeting with the staff, and when I saw how many clicks there I have to make to get mindless advice, I turned them off (mercifully, it is possible to do so)

- My biggest gripe was the 3D engine, though; it just doesn't belong in this day and age, I feel like Premier Manager 97 had better graphics than this; and I have a Ryzen 7 processor, 3080 graphics, and 16GB of RAM, and it only rated my PC as "high", not "very high"; really, for that kind of graphics? What do we need, 3090 SLI and 64GB of RAM?

- Also, what is it with the eyebrows this year? What happened, and how did you leave it like that going into production?

It feels horrible criticizing the honest work of others, and obviously with software so large as this, you only can make incremental changes and hope nothing breaks in the process, but some choices can be better, and some features are really either not needed or need a revamp.

That said, I'm sure I'll have hundreds of hours of fun in the Switch version, seasons really fly by on that console, and you can play it in bed. Please just don't add any of the meetings, press, team talks, and whatnot, they all feel half-done and very unpredictable.

9 minutes ago, Zoolok42 said:

- My biggest gripe was the 3D engine, though; it just doesn't belong in this day and age, I feel like Premier Manager 97 had better graphics than this; and I have a Ryzen 7 processor, 3080 graphics, and 16GB of RAM, and it only rated my PC as "high", not "very high"; really, for that kind of graphics? What do we need, 3090 SLI and 64GB of RAM?

This isn't PM97, but here's what Premier Manager 98 looked like.

52ED193B-A373-40E5-965B-5DDB2461C88B.thumb.jpeg.d3053cc183a55c7dcee2729da9bbee6b.jpeg

If you seriously think that looks better than FM22's match graphics, then I really don't know what to say.

Edited by CFuller

16 hours ago, LucasBR said:

I might be wrong here but if a player has good finishing stats consequently it should have a good free-kick taking and vice-versa, no?

Finishing is for shots in the box so I'd say they don't correlate at all, Long Shots maybe

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

This isn't PM97, but here's what Premier Manager 98:

[...]

If you seriously think that looks better than FM22's match graphics, then I really don't know what to say.

Looks better than mine. Mostly because small resolution, 85% zoom and lowest settings really warp the field. On 100% it is as expected and how I want it but at that zoom-level the "normal" game has too little elements on screen for my liking ^^

4 minutes ago, CFuller said:

This isn't PM97, but here's what Premier Manager 98 looked like.

52ED193B-A373-40E5-965B-5DDB2461C88B.thumb.jpeg.d3053cc183a55c7dcee2729da9bbee6b.jpeg

First, it was a hyperbole, second, you can clearly see 23 years of technological progress in FM's 3D engine (<- that was sarcasm), and finally, if you ignore the low resolution, tell me the player movement here doesn't look better than in FM (go to 8 minute mark): 

Edited by Zoolok42

24 minutes ago, dunk105 said:

Thing is it wasnt balanced last year- as wing play was utterly useless with the well known blocked crosses issue (particularly once you become a successful team and encounter p2p tactics). Agree that IW and IFs dont cut in, but just glad wide play has been addressed- it just needs toning down so it doesnt become too OP. One thing the wide play improvements help Im finding is that I can now use the entire pitch and with the F9 being on an attacking mentality now that role is a great option to pull around the opponents defence and open up space- and now a few more games in as my players get used to the tactics Im seeing some very nice combinations where the ball goes wide, and comes back in for my midfielders to finish.

image.png.5c452aa283238142dae5fac6d55a17e0.png

Cant remember last when I was having my centre mids scoring AND having my F9 being the main goalscoring threat:

image.png.ce434780b06790c01e29818852f6ea06.png

As you can see headers are far lower for attempts than shots too so there is influence we can have to reduce the amounts of crosses:

image.png.5e89a3a0cda996dba29f59ec9716306c.png

Completely agree with this. Wide play in FM21 and previous FMs wasnt good and there were loads of blocked crosses. Now it is fixed and imo a good balance between central and wide play exists.  I would say that strikers winning headers might be a bit OP but I havent played enough games to know for for sure yet.

On 25/10/2021 at 02:10, owenFM99 said:

It may just be me, but at the start of a save game it feels like an awful lot of youngsters (players with unset determination in general) are generating with low determination. In previous iterations there would be a few players that would start with low determination, but this year feels like at least half of my youth squad have < 10 determination. I just feel like the distribution of determinations of players in youth squads (with unset determination) is very low when I would say most players on the game have a determination of above 10. I know determination can be increased but it's just a bit frustrating when half of your youth team has lower determination than pretty much all my first team. For example, this is the arsenal u18's at the start of a game.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 02.15.12.png

I've always felt determination was randomised too low. Particularly U23's that have made some progress towards having a career in football, which may come with a degree of determination that u18s hadn't yet proved. 

I've made this comment in the past, but without doing a check against current senior team determination averages, versus current u23 & u18 averages, versus future u23/u18 averages (say 5 years in the future), it's hard to prove. If anyone can be bother to scrape the data and simulate 5 years into the future please do haha. 

Just been promoted with Blackpool to the Premier Division in my second season. My transfer budget was set the day before the play-off final. They won't increase my budget at all after winning promotion (It was the smallest in the championship) so I am stuck with a squad that are all unhappy and want to leave as I can't afford to offer them new deals and can't sign any players at all. Surely it should take into account that we are going to be receiving 100m plus over the course of the season and the budget shouldn't be so rigid? 

7 minutes ago, JordanBlackpoolFC said:

Just been promoted with Blackpool to the Premier Division in my second season. My transfer budget was set the day before the play-off final. They won't increase my budget at all after winning promotion (It was the smallest in the championship) so I am stuck with a squad that are all unhappy and want to leave as I can't afford to offer them new deals and can't sign any players at all. Surely it should take into account that we are going to be receiving 100m plus over the course of the season and the budget shouldn't be so rigid? 

Did you go up via the playoffs?

11 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

Did you go up via the playoffs?

Yeah, the transfer/wage budget was set the day before the play-off final. I presumed it would be adjusted if I was promoted.

I am a bit screwed really as I have like 15 players total, who are now all unhappy as I can't offer them new deals and will probably lose them all at the end of this season and have no squad.

Pretty much every team in the Premier League has one player on more money than my entire wage budget

Requested extra wage budget - apparently my 165k a week wage budget is more than good enough to compete :D

Edited by JordanBlackpoolFC

3 hours ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

It was like that before yesterday's update on my laptop.

Since than, UI has been very responsive for me.

My UI has been slow since the update when clicking on any players or buttons and less responsive. Whereas before the update I only had lag when going on team stats. Weird!

13 minutes ago, JordanBlackpoolFC said:

Yeah, the transfer/wage budget was set the day before the play-off final. I presumed it would be adjusted if I was promoted.

I am a bit screwed really as I have like 15 players total, who are now all unhappy as I can't offer them new deals and will probably lose them all at the end of this season and have no squad.

Pretty much every team in the Premier League has one player on more money than my entire wage budget

Requested extra wage budget - apparently my 165k a week wage budget is more than good enough to compete :D

Please report this as a bug if you haven't already as I imagine this is infuriating :D

28 minutes ago, JordanBlackpoolFC said:

Im sure it will get reviewed again before your season starts in the Premiership

Just now, MrPompey said:

Im sure it will get reviewed again before your season starts in the Premiership

It hasn't, I have just played my first game and lost 5-1 having a bench full of youth players. Reporting it as a bug now as I imagine this will be very frustrating for the lower league managers trying to get to the top division.

I probably won't be able to continue this save as my players are all so unhappy not one of them will enter contract talks now.

Probably my own fault for getting so invested in a beta save :D

@JordanBlackpoolFC In my personal experience at the end of the season Ive had confirmation of next season budget. I think this is too early as it should be post finsl game for the league you are in and any other potentially finance impacting qualifications

After the end of season updates when you start the pre-season Ive then had budget changes confirmed. If you have saves then I raise a bug and upload the save just before the budget is confirmed pre play-off win

i am downloading the beta now and i am terrified i really am i just loved fm21 so much and got everything perfect with my skins graphics all clubs with full names after editing the whole database lovely stadium banners and for once i really loved the match engine i found it almost perfect, every year now i go into denial about the release of a new fm but i can not help myself i always download the beta, and no doubt ill back back in a few hours after playing with a ton of complaints. 

How come the throw ins haven't been reworked yet, and are still a big threat?

Also not fond of the way this ME plays. Central play is almost non existent, Wingers barely do anything, and cause of that strikers are barely seeing enough opportunities to score. Hope this get's tweaked for the launch

4 minutes ago, KamyKaze said:

How come the throw ins haven't been reworked yet, and are still a big threat?

This was also brought up last year and according to @Jack Joyce, throw-ins are often just most suitable start points for highlights:

On 06/11/2020 at 14:05, Jack Joyce said:

This is mainly due to how the highlight system works. It tries to find a suitable 'start point' for a highlight which very often is from a restart. It's something we want to try and improve in the future but it's very difficult to find the right 'start point' mid play without leaving out important context as to what just happened.

If you're conceding goals from highlights starting from throw-ins, perhaps there's some other defensive issues you've got going on.

2 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

This was also brought up last year and according to @Jack Joyce, throw-ins are often just most suitable start points for highlights:

If you're conceding goals from highlights starting from throw-ins, perhaps there's some other defensive issues you've got going on.

I'm both scoring and conceding from throw ins, cause the players forget how to play at those moments

3 hours ago, Zoolok42 said:

First, it was a hyperbole, second, you can clearly see 23 years of technological progress in FM's 3D engine (<- that was sarcasm), and finally, if you ignore the low resolution, tell me the player movement here doesn't look better than in FM (go to 8 minute mark): 

Maybe, but one major difference being is that the highlights in PM97 were pre-recorded and not the product of any sort of dynamic simulation. If you played 4-5 matches on PM97 you'd see the exact same clips of goals/saves etc. repeated 2-3 times. FM's match 3D match engine is at least an... er... engine, rather than just pre-recorded videos.

4 hours ago, JordanBlackpoolFC said:

Yeah that sounds like a bug then. 

It hasn't, I have just played my first game and lost 5-1 having a bench full of youth players. Reporting it as a bug now as I imagine this will be very frustrating for the lower league managers trying to get to the top division.

I probably won't be able to continue this save as my players are all so unhappy not one of them will enter contract talks now.

Wow that's a show stopper for a lot of people doing FM22 Lower League Saves and Challenges like Youth Academy and Dafuge's. Think I'll be holding fire until 9th Nov at the very earliest to start (as planning a Single Long Term Save).

Noticed in the Bug Tracker someone just posted an instance where they took Oxford Utd League 1 -> Prem. Board promised a Transfer Budget increase and the funds never eventuated.

On a positive better to test & find in the Beta save, opposed to investing years down the track :onmehead:

Do you have a save pre club budget confirmation?

Can you confirm how much money the club has at this point

When you begin pre-season can you confirm a) how much the club has b) what amount this changed (up or down c) what sort of chairman you have

1 hour ago, Sledger said:

Maybe, but one major difference being is that the highlights in PM97 were pre-recorded and not the product of any sort of dynamic simulation. If you played 4-5 matches on PM97 you'd see the exact same clips of goals/saves etc. repeated 2-3 times. FM's match 3D match engine is at least an... er... engine, rather than just pre-recorded videos.

There's also millions more calculations per second goes into the FM match engine, marrying that up with modern FIFA style graphics would alienate about 80% of the player base. Whilst I do think the graphics COULD be improved, it's a tricky balancing act, as SI have always wanted to make the game as accessible to as many people as possible. 

Yeah, I mean to each their own, but I am more interested in SI putting efforts into the match engine being good rather than looking good. But then I'm one of these people who uses the top-down 2D view when playing matches, so efforts into improving the 3D graphics would be wasted on me anyway.

Did the update yesterday break graphics? I had a graphics folder all set up when the beta launched with some faces and logos I wanted to use, but they all got removed after the update, and even restarting the game and reloading the skin didn't help.

34 minutes ago, The Bamster said:

Can I just check is anyone having problems winning back the ball against low level opposition without turning on hard tackling?

i played a whole season with arsenal, ended 4th, i used the same tactic that i used in fm21 but after a few games it was really noticeable that the pressing triggers needed tweaking because i was struggling to get control of the games (possession) ... i had to modify  the defensive line and remove a few increased closing down on individual instructions in a few positions that i had working just fine in fm21, this is a tactic that got me 20+ consecutive premier leagues and 10+ champion leagues, i got upto 2044 playing with that save and won almost everything with it.

am not sharing the tactic, just explaining that tactics from fm21 are not plug and play because of the change to closing down / pressing triggers and also a few individual instructions on some roles were changed, for example now inside forwards on support role have the go forward instruction, they didnt in fm21.

1 hour ago, hasdgfas said:

Did the update yesterday break graphics? I had a graphics folder all set up when the beta launched with some faces and logos I wanted to use, but they all got removed after the update, and even restarting the game and reloading the skin didn't help.

Mine are fine - have you cleared your cache?

14 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

This suddenly happened. Anyone else that has this issue? It changed to Swedish or something?
My game language is just set to English.

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 21.45.39.png

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 21.45.50.png

Seems to be Danish for me. Are you using any logos, name fixes, facepacks or anything like it? If so, try to remove them and see if that fixes things.

Quick ones from me.

Doesn't matter what I try my possession stats are shocking. Something that others have said and should be looked at. 

My centre backs get shockingly low match ratings. Ben White will get clean sheets and never gets over a 7. Anyone else notice low match ratings for their centre backs?

Anyone scoring many goals from corners? I'm not getting any.