*Official* Football Manager 2022 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

Just a point on this. The policy SI have on this is that they don't include players or staff who are currently under criminal investigation and are not active for their club.

Thanks. My query was that Sigurdsson had never been named but, as you say, is inactive right now. Thanks for clearing it up!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, XaW said:

This is playing in the Vanarama North, so this is exactly what I expect to see. I don't have De Bruyne or Pedri, but I have Eli Phipps with 7 passing and 8 vision. So that pass looks perfectly good for the level I'm at.

So at a higher level, you could well make an argument for another choice, but for my part, this is a good example of what to expect from very good attacking movement (centrally -> wide)  at this level.

Hi...great play there for sure but at any level of football a player can have the vision to play those players in even in that split second. The issue would arise playing further up the ladder where other factors would prevent lower ability players from being able to do it...mostly technique and ability to use technique and vision under more pressure and playing in games where time on the ball is much reduced then

10 minutes ago, akkm said:

Hey...no one is saying central playing isn't existing on this years engine and @SebastianRO post above gives a well balanced view of the current state of the unbalanced engine. It is heavily reliant on wide areas for creativity...overly reliant in reality. 

Of course teams block central areas as in real world football but pass decision making in FM isn't up to real world standards and centrally it requires very apparent or large spaces where real world football players and teams CAN and DO operate centrally in tight spaces to thread short along the ground passes into players to try and probe for openings. In FM its much much harder and unrealistically the case to try and pass and probe through middle.

Also notice players aren't actually making themselves available positionally in pockets of space inside and in between the lines much and moving dynamically to react to defensive structures to either make themselves available for either a passing option or to drag opposition out of position.

So at the moment this year spaces are out wide and as team move the ball better out wide and crossing isn't blocked as much as last year creativity for chances and goals is heavily skewed towards the wings and its much more akin to FM19/20 than last year. 

Thats not to say there isn't some great play and good build up currently in the engine. Agree as @kiwityke1983 mentioned the ebb and flow of a game has been captured like never before however in terms of creativity in FM its heavily skewed the toward the wings so its essentially the opposite to how the real world works. In real world football teams essentially teams will attack the centre or want to...there's a reason team block the centre of the pitch first and foremost...by blocking there teams will clearly move the ball out wide inside and back and forth buts it's with a view to dragging opposition defensive set up/players out of position to slot them in back inside...of course they'll cross and score that way but in FM teams are too happy to get it wide and cross it from...lazily so in that they take rudimentary option to cross instead of coming back inside to keep probing there...its unrealistic and currently not simulating real world footballing behaviour and decision making.

Players in FM need to have a bump up to their creativity vision and propensity to play threaded passes inside along the ground and through balls along the ground inside and movement needs ehancing as well to give them options. Space inside is too restrictive to passing and moving there...of course it should be hard but in FM its unrealistically hard and it's currently not reflecting how teams and players get around that as they do in the real world in central areas and in the attacking third

If anyone is not seeing that all one has to do is check out the analysis tab in FM to see where key passes are played from and do the same on whoscored website and they'll see FM is HEAVILY skewed towards key passes from out wide which is the OPPOSITE to real world football. Its GLARING the difference between FM and real world and proves current engine is lacking quite a lot. 

Should this be addressed then that combined with much improved ebb and flow, better animations, improved wide play then the engine will be a magnificent simulation of football and the best yet...without it then the most basic fundamentals of pass and moving will be missing and it will be far too rudimentary and interpretation of football is played...ie crossing trumps all...which just isn't either good or even realistic football

The only post that literally resonates with my thoughts since the dreaded days of FM19 and FM20. FM21 was very well balanced and a joy to watch / play. This year however seems like SI have improved the match engine in many aspects, but it seems to come at a higher cost than I'm willing to pay, so to speak. I am happy with the ebb and flow of the game, animations and pretty much everything else, but I cannot but notice that I am playing FM20 all over again, just in a much more fluid way. Great post btw, as articulate as it can possibly be.

7 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

The only post that literally resonates with my thoughts since the dreaded days of FM19 and FM20. FM21 was very well balanced and a joy to watch / play. This year however seems like SI have improved the match engine in many aspects, but it seems to come at a higher cost than I'm willing to pay, so to speak. I am happy with the ebb and flow of the game, animations and pretty much everything else, but I cannot but notice that I am playing FM20 all over again, just in a much more fluid way. Great post btw, as articulate as it can possibly be.

I think it's partially because of the introduction of the WCB. If your players constantly look to break through the middle then the WCB would be useful only for build up and will disappear in the final third 

12 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

Yeah agree completely...the improvements came at the detriment of good creative football so that wouldn't be for me to endure a return to the dull and stale version fm19/20 offered up. All going well things can be addressed for this year

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

First meeting with the players. 

'I'm aiming to improve the GK situation at the club'
'Negative boss'
'But lads.... we don't have a GK'

:D

That your first team talk? :eek: :lol:

Edited by Sonic Youth

35 minutes ago, Piperita said:

I have forgotten how it was last year: Unless something *really* bad turns up, the next update will be on release day and the Beta stays as it is, right?

There's usually at least one beta patch that fixes minor stuff and improves performance.

At last there was last year.

31 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I think it's partially because of the introduction of the WCB. If your players constantly look to break through the middle then the WCB would be useful only for build up and will disappear in the final third 

So because of the new role we have reverted to FM 2020 passing pattern ME....I won't be buying the game this year, because it took a new release to fix the lack of central play instead of a patch last time ( FM 2020 ME was not fixed, we got the fix in FM 2021), so I think SI won't change things until FM 2023...

Yeah, huge differences in strength can now end *really* lobsided. Had that in my preseason when the only available opponent was some poor lower league Japanese team. I suddenly had like 60+ shots whereas during normal good games I struggle to reach 20 with my team.

But hey, a 10.0 rating for a player without any goals or assists was something new :)

34 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

So because of the new role we have reverted to FM 2020 passing pattern ME....I won't be buying the game this year, because it took a new release to fix the lack of central play instead of a patch last time ( FM 2020 ME was not fixed, we got the fix in FM 2021), so I think SI won't change things until FM 2023...

That's just me speculating. I have no idea what they actually changed 

WE WILL ALWAYS CONTINUE TO PLAY 2D ! Hear Our Voice !

The 2D camera angle is getting worse every year. As true FM fans, we will always continue to play 2D. The realism of the old 2D camera angle is decreasing with each passing year.

Look at the realism in 2017, now the 2D camera angle of the FM 22 does not even see the ball.

This got really frustrating...

image.thumb.png.43f6d62898a1f45c83b76825c9ea2a6f.png

FM 2017 2D Cam

Edited by .Supersonic

I havent noticed any issues with central play but will look closer. So far I've seen a good balance with the ball going wide and then back to the centre and also the ball going from the centre and then out wide.

1 thing to remember, if you play with wingers and wing backs, they are attacking roles that stay wide and try to create chances so expect that to happen.

Edited by Platinum

The new animations and better player decision making actuslly mean it looks and feels like I'm watching a football match. Really good improvements. 

There are still some issues with counting stats though and ice posted a bug report and this bug does take away from the experience.

Edited by Platinum

56 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

No we absolutely haven't.

I second this. 

Best camera for seeing how your tactics are playing out. It’s the closest to the old days of using your imagination when there was only text. 

Over the years the 2d features and options are slowly being stripped away. 

Also give us an option to turn those dam annoying ads boards off 

Edited by Johan 14 Cruyff

25 minutes ago, .Supersonic said:

The 2D camera angle is getting worse every year. As true FM fans, we will always continue to play 2D. The realism of the old 2D camera angle is decreasing with each passing year.

Look at the realism in 2017, now the 2D camera angle of the FM 22 does not even see the ball.

What extra bit of useful information can you see there that you can't see now 

4 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I don’t play 2D, but come on, don’t be deliberately obtuse...

2D looks much worse now than it did just a few years ago...that shouldn’t happen. 

16 minutes ago, DarJ said:

The poster is speaking about the general look of it. Go compare that to what we have today. Let us know what you think.

Edited by jimbo22

vor 12 Minuten schrieb TheArsenal63:

So we are back to crossing simulator. FM21 finally brought back through balls and creative football, I actually had hope that they were slowing making the game more viable to try different styles. But nope, we're back to this nonsense again.

Now the middle is lava again and your players completely ignore runs through the middle in favour of launching the ball wide again. Cross, rinse, repeat.

Why, what is SI's insistence on making certain styles of play completely  unplayable. How, as developers, do they sit around a table an decide, you know what everyone enjoyed last year? The return of creative football, yeah let's completely kill it again and go back to FM20's terrible match engine.

I just despair man, I do not trust these people anymore to build on what was a fantastic match engine last year. Why didn't you leave it alone?

I have to disagree. Currently playing with OM in League 1 and play wonderful footbal with a variety of chances and goals, some from the flanks but most from the middle. Could it be that your tactics just don't work? I had to tinker quite a bit in preseason to get the team going but now they are just a joy to watch!

4 minutes ago, Peter 04 said:

I have to disagree. Currently playing with OM in League 1 and play wonderful football with a variety of chances and goals, some from the flanks but most from the middle. Could it be that your tactics just don't work? I had to tinker quite a bit in preseason to get the team going but now they are just a joy to watch!

Post your tactic, I want to see. I remember having this same exact conversation with people on FM20 where everyone knew center play was missing. Then FM21 SI fixed it, it was even in their patch notes.

Now again people will point out that center play is missing, get told that it is not and then SI will probably fix it again maybe next year.

1 minute ago, TheArsenal63 said:

FM21 he makes this pass to the inside forward :

image.png.b86908f9d91ce74314ec9ba5398ec449.png

FM22 he takes a wild shot :

image.thumb.png.d24b760711a37d8a2960e41f524a41e1.png

I have seen this with Arsenal players as well for anyone who tries to pop up about the ability of the players. I remember having these exact conversation's with people in FM20 and they all dismissed this problem. Until,  hey presto! SI bring back center play in FM21 and all of a sudden people aren't crazy anymore.

Same thing will happen here, people will point out that center play is now similar levels to FM20, you will get called crazy and that you don't know football, then SI will probably fix it for the next version. Rinse repeat.

If you have examples of lack of central play, then please report it in the bug tracker.

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

If you have examples of lack of central play, then please report it in the bug tracker.

I will do when I have some time this weekend. But I highly doubt they will fix it any time soon, the ME is very complicated and that's why they make so few changes every year, people reported in FM20 about the lack of central play, didn't get fixed until FM21. Central play was probably nerfed because of the under-lapping wide centerbacks now providing more overloads both wide and in the center and they had to counter that.

I'll try to report it but I have zero hope it gets fixed until next year.

Just now, TheArsenal63 said:

I will do when I have some time this weekend. But I highly doubt they will fix it any time soon, the ME is very complicated and that's why they make so few changes every year, people reported in FM20 about the lack of central play, didn't get fixed until FM21. Central play was probably nerfed because of the under-lapping wide centerbacks now providing more overloads both wide and in the center and they had to counter that.

I'll try to report it but I have zero hope it gets fixed until next year.

Of course it's complicated, but if no one reports it, then it's even less likely to be changed. That's why I'm asking you and others in here to report it when they have examples of it. The more who report actual examples of things that can be improved, the more it will end up on the radar of SI.

A couple of grievances from the Beta, that are not related to FM22 itself but perennial issues from the franchise.

- B team history. You check the history of players in Spain and you see something really awkward. 

From FM22, Aguero's history attached. There is always 1 friendly with the B team that ruins the entire history page. Please make this stop. It's a non-competitive game anyway, there's no need for this to appear, and even if it has to, just lump it with the first team's non-competitive games. 

This has been an issue for several years now and I'm surprised it hasn't stopped. I mean, the bigger issue here is that marquee players end up getting called up by the B team very frequently, but assuming that's not an issue, the aesthetics here are awful. Add a couple of seasons to this and it looks horrendous, especially when you include loan/transfers that happen before the game switches the history so you have a player transferring in July 2022 appear in the 2021-22 history tab with 0 entries, then 2022-23 has a B team entry with another 0 as it's a friendly and then you have the actual history.

- Another thing I noticed that's not gone is how managers switch jobs just like that, also rather soon after making a move. Coaches do not abandon their jobs lightly during a season. Teams do not look to pounce on another team's coach in October or March, they are looking for someone who's available. They hand contracts until the end of the season or the next one if it's before Christmas and if they cannot find a decent coach in spring, they hire a caretaker. I've seen coaches leave a well run Valencia team for a relegation battling Tottenham in the middle of the season, probably because of the reputation mechanics of the game. Please find a way to fix this as it is a very persistent unrealistic feature of the game for years. I was hoping it'd be done with by now. 

I'd add more but it's not in the spirit of what could be fixed in this version. I really hope that these ones get amended during FM22's life.

download.jpg

46 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

@akkm@TheArsenal63 @FM1000

Going back to the conversation we've had about central play, or shall i say ... the lack it, I want to share a few screenshots with you:

You can see the tactic I am using, I have won Serie A (which is not all the hard to do with Juventus), had the best attack and defence in Serie A, etc. Then you can see a screenshot regarding my team report saying that we have a problem penetrating the central areas, but we are doing great on the left flank. It is very easy to understand why we do well on the left flank, since I have an attacking full-back over there.But why are we doing so poorly in central midfield ? Only 81 out of 359 entries into the final third were made through the centre. For clarity, that is barely 22% central penetration in FM22. With the same system (more or less) I get 58% central penetration in FM21. I have attached the screenshots below, including the one taken from FM21 with Gladbach for comparison.

Cuf518b.jpg

3AU8iNo.jpg

pmsGIbR.jpg

nykO8BX.jpg

The cherry on top is the actual stats, as in the through balls according to the stats. And by the way, below you have the reason for why I don't bother with stats much and rather use my eyes and attention to analyze my own tactics for the most part. In FM22 as you see in the screenshot below, aparently the majority of my goals are coming from through balls (even though that is not what I am witnessing on the pitch), but then the feedback says that we are struggling to penetrate central areas .... hmmm Would those so called "through balls" be actual crosses ? my guess is yes. I believe that a lot of crosses are being recorded as through balls. If I actually had as many through balls as the game says I do, I wouldnt bother writing this post. Also, in FM21 stats do confirm what my eyes are seeing, but that's not the case in FM22. Have a look below.

P.S This is also the reason for why I had so many ... let's call them heated conversation when FM19 and FM20 came out. I was explaining this exact same thing and then some people whould just send me to the stats screen and point to the through balls numbers. It all depends on our definition of a through ball and the game's definition of one. But one thing's for sure: the screenshots above actually highlight the problem in no uncertain terms: I have aproblem penetrating through the middle, even my analyst is saying that :)

52urbn4.jpg

I hope this is helpful to anyone running into this "issue" as well as any dev who reads these posts. This is something really really hard (impossible) to report as a bug because I personally don't even know what's causing this and what' even the name of the issue. I hope they do read these threads, even though I appreciate how time consuming it must be.

Good write up, I hope I don't regret my purchase and there are some tweaks to this.

Not quite sure what to make of the game so far, some things are nice and smooth (processing / ME animations), but overall the interface seems more cluttered and it takes longer to do things than in FM21, so I'm enjoying it less than the previous version. Here are some annoying things I noticed about the interface, not sure if they are bugs are not so I'm putting them here just in case I just didn't see the option to change it (in which case let me know!!)

1. Scouting meetings

- I can't get to see the scouted player's attributes in the report window, only the A/B/C rating and the star rating. Pretty sure I could do this before, but now I need to click on the player and back every time, which is a lot of clicking around

- All the scouting messages are coming straight to my inbox one by one, instead of waiting for a scouting meeting - even if I select them to come into the meeting or not come up at all in the meeting options

2. Staff meetings

Just really tiresome and boring, it would be great to have the FM21 option where these just come up as a long list on one page so that you can quickly scroll and see if there is anything interesting. Otherwise it feels like I'm literally in a boring office job sitting in a boring meeting, I don't need any of this in my free time! :D I will probably just set them to never eventually, which is also not ideal as you miss some useful information this way

3. Monthly financial update - is that gone? Don't think I've received one yet in FM22, and it was a useful feature.

4. ME. It's nice to see more wide play and headers being scored, but it feels a bit unbalanced at the moment, in the following ways:

- Not seeing as many "nice" goals from through balls as in FM21

- Seeing too many goals from corners, and too many from long shots

So, in a nutshell, feels like a bit of a downgrade from FM21 at the moment, but then FM21 was the best version for ages, so 22 is still good and will hopefully eclipse its predecessor after a few updates ))

6 minutes ago, dkouv said:

2. Staff meetings

Just really tiresome and boring, it would be great to have the FM21 option where these just come up as a long list on one page so that you can quickly scroll and see if there is anything interesting. Otherwise it feels like I'm literally in a boring office job sitting in a boring meeting, I don't need any of this in my free time! :D I will probably just set them to never eventually, which is also not ideal as you miss some useful information this way

Completely agree with this. The single page overview in the inbox in FM21 was really convenient. Now you need to click through multiple pages to get the same info.

Just feels like unnecessary clicking and it takes much longer. I'll probably also stop attending the meetings which is a shame.

2 hours ago, .Supersonic said:

Yeah SI have really let us 2d camera lads down again haven 't they :(

Ok Further to the my previous post, some clarification of my issues with the value ranges.

All the players mention in the previous post are 100% scouted, so having internationalists with years left on their contracts have ranges sitting at like 300k - 4m seems bonkers, even worse when as mentioned before I have a 100% scouted international with a base value range of £6000 and a max of £3.2m. The feature adds nothing to the game when the ranges are so wide and have no bearing on what the player would actually cost ( ie there is no chance getting that international CB for £6000). 

Speaking to agents is a waste of time as well (unless I am missing something) as they simply reiterate "yes I think he will cost between £6000 and 3,2 million) and tell you the same wage demands are is in the scouting page !

Just another half baked addition that adds nothing but clicks and frustration.

Edit : Trying to sign said £6000-3.2m player and his club want 6.5m :D

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

25 minutes ago, dkouv said:

I can't get to see the scouted player's attributes in the report window, only the A/B/C rating and the star rating. Pretty sure I could do this before, but now I need to click on the player and back every time, which is a lot of clicking around

Hover over the "i" next to the name

sc.png.0f03ad328f71c114d159117893f08957.png

25 minutes ago, dkouv said:

All the scouting messages are coming straight to my inbox one by one, instead of waiting for a scouting meeting - even if I select them to come into the meeting or not come up at all in the meeting options

XNQgxfDfaz.thumb.gif.610c4418ce81e9e9d3474077771b3ae3.gif

Edited by DarJ

27 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

It all boils down to what you enjoy about football manager. FM22 is a welcomed QoL improvement over FM21 and that's a nice positive. For me and other like me, match engine is everything. I could play this game without media, social aspects, etc. All I care about is the match engine, as that is the only thing that can really keep me immersed for hours. This is the reason for why I spot these things in a heartbeat. If you enjoy more aspects of the game, with not a huge focus on match engine, then you will probably love FM22 and can be more patient than me in waiting for a "fix" to the match engine. I for one, have just loaded up FM21 and play it until an update / full version comes out for FM22.

It's very interesting how people can have wildly different issues with the same ME. While I acknowledge that there probably is too little central play in FM22 compared to FM21 (and real life), FM22 is a far more enjoyable match engine for me than FM21.

Why? Cutbacks. Wide players in FM21 are utterly moronic and simply will not cut the ball back properly 99% of the time, preferring to cannon it off the shins of a defender every time.

In FM22, I see goals that simply never happen in FM21. A recent highlight had my DLP finding my RW with a deep diagonal ball, with the RW then making a point turn on the byline and passing it back for an onrushing CM to slot it into the bottom corner. In 700 hours of FM21 I have never seen that goal, despite using the same tactic and the same team as in FM22.